HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 10:47 PM
Space Magi

Nice. All of these new towers make those surface parking lots in the foreground even more egregious.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2020, 1:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmoe View Post
Bumping so not last post on previous page.
I don't know for certain, but one of my friend's has a house that used to have a right of way between it and the house to the rear. SLC ended up splitting the right of way in half, so they each got a few extra feet added onto their back yards. There is also something about if a fence has been in place for more than 20 years it becomes the legal property line. I'm just going off hearsay on all this though.

Also, yeah, nice day for new proposals! Or at least new info on proposals.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2020, 12:53 PM

The Smartest States in America - These states boast the highest educational attainment rates and testing scores.

By Casey Leins, Staff Writer Dec. 3, 2019 - https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...erica?slide=12

U.S. News & World Report: Smartest States in America

1- New Jersey
Adults with bachelor’s degrees: 24.2%
Adults with advanced degrees: 14.7%
High school graduation rate: 91%
Median SAT score: 1,090

2- Utah
Adults with bachelor’s degrees: 22.8%
Adults with advanced degrees: 11%
High school graduation rate: 86%
Median SAT score: 1,230

3- Massachusetts
Adults with bachelor’s degrees: 23.9%
Adults with advanced degrees: 18.7%
High school graduation rate: 88%
Median SAT score: 1,120

4- North Carolina

5- Montana

6- Virginia

7- Kansas

8- Wisconsin

9- Oregon

10-Minnesota

Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 2:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah_Amazing View Post
The balcony view is from that balcony in the middle though, not the one on top. You can tell because it has the second level balcony (which the mid-height one has) while the one on top has just one level.

See:
]

So this is in that mid-balcony (around 350 feet or so (the height of One Utah Center)) with about 9-10 floors above it still. So your math makes sense Atlas.
This is a great example of good design. They took a pretty simple shape Building and did some great work with it to make it a standout building. It will surely be one of my favorites if it’s built like this. Would this result satisfy those a little bit that wanted to save the theater? I’m curious how they may incorporate some of the interior decor from the old theater. I give it a big thumbs up

Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 2:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
From the letterhead on the documents, I think its Dwell design studio: https://www.dwelldesignstudio.com/

Looking through that website, it looks like they're doing the Utah Theater tower too. Feast your eyes on these renderings!

"Main Street Apartments"

Sorry to post the photos again. The one image I wanted to post didn’t come through. You get the idea though

Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 3:26 AM

If y’all get a chance go check out the open streets SLC downtown. Having half of main street shut down to cars has totally opened up the street and people are flocking down there. I wish it had happened earlier this summer, and I hope the city continues this after COVID because its really cool.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 4:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
It is a good report. And, actually, Sacramento, & Jacksonville are probably similar in metro/CSA statistics.
Interesting, they look and feel smaller.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 4:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
The Smartest States in America - These states boast the highest educational attainment rates and testing scores.

By Casey Leins, Staff Writer Dec. 3, 2019 - https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...erica?slide=12

U.S. News & World Report: Smartest States in America

1- New Jersey
Adults with bachelor’s degrees: 24.2%
Adults with advanced degrees: 14.7%
High school graduation rate: 91%
Median SAT score: 1,090

2- Utah
Adults with bachelor’s degrees: 22.8%
Adults with advanced degrees: 11%
High school graduation rate: 86%
Median SAT score: 1,230

3- Massachusetts
Adults with bachelor’s degrees: 23.9%
Adults with advanced degrees: 18.7%
High school graduation rate: 88%
Median SAT score: 1,120

4- North Carolina

5- Montana

6- Virginia

7- Kansas

8- Wisconsin

9- Oregon

10-Minnesota
I wouldn’t consider Utah schools particularly.. “smart”

Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 4:41 AM

The Utah theater will be replaced by parking. I love it. It’s poetically beautiful.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 6:02 AM

Hyatt Regency Salt Lake City - Progress Video 9/25/20

Video Link

Quote:
Here's another update of the Hyatt Regency Salt Lake City Project. Right now, the two main elevator cores are starting to go vertical and the South core will be poured in the next week. The Slab On Grade is being poured for the basement parking garage. Concrete columns are being set and poured and the foundation walls are continuing around the perimeter of the building as well as for the parking garage ramp down in the basement.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 8:55 PM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCLvr View Post
Thrilled they are incorporating the existing structures into their building designs. Amazed actually.
I wish it didn't overwhelm the warehouse as much.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 9:46 PM

Husband found a book of photos of SLC from the 90s. It's 120 pages but I figured some of these might be interesting to y'all as a retrospective. Hid them in the below to stop a wall of photos.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 12:00 AM

Does anyone out there know when a formal announcement concerning the Utah

Theatre night be forthcoming? Has anyone heard a a possible construction timeline? By the way I think it is one of the sharpest, coolest highrises to come to Salt Lake for a long time!!!!!

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 3:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbutah View Post
Husband found a book of photos of SLC from the 90s. It's 120 pages but I figured some of these might be interesting to y'all as a retrospective. Hid them in the below to stop a wall of photos.
Awesome find, I always like checking out older photos of downtown! This is how I remember downtown as a kid. It is also weird now to see a picture of 400 South before Trax was there.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 4:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbutah View Post
These smell like teen spirit.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 6:08 AM

Held Properties has sold their property at 370 South West Temple.

The new owner is:
370 SOUTH WEST TEMPLE LLC
Address:
C/O THE DOMAIN COMPANIES LLC, 11 PARK PLACE, SUITE 1705, NEW YORK, NEW YORK, 10007

https://thedomaincos.com/portfolio/south-west-temple/
This was added to their site in September 2020.

370 South West Temple St
Salt Lake City, UT 84101

PROPERTY TYPE
Residential, Retail and Hospitality
Coworking
Mixed-Used, Transit-Oriented Development

APARTMENTS

RETAIL SPACE
6,200sf

OFFICE SPACE
58,000sf

ARCHITECT
Solomon Cordwell Buenz

DEVELOPMENT COST
$230M

FINANCING
Fundamental Partners

COMPLETION DATE
Late 2023

SUSTAINABILITY
Enterprise Green Communities
Fitwel Healthy Building Certification

The Domain Companies are currently finishing up developing the exchange project across the street from the SLC library.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 9:38 AM

370 South West Temple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperlord View Post
Held Properties has sold their property at 370 South West Temple.

The new owner is:
370 SOUTH WEST TEMPLE LLC
Address:
C/O THE DOMAIN COMPANIES LLC, 11 PARK PLACE, SUITE 1705, NEW YORK, NEW YORK, 10007

https://thedomaincos.com/portfolio/south-west-temple/
This was added to their site in September 2020.

370 South West Temple St
Salt Lake City, UT 84101

PROPERTY TYPE
Residential, Retail and Hospitality
Coworking
Mixed-Used, Transit-Oriented Development

APARTMENTS

RETAIL SPACE
6,200sf

OFFICE SPACE
58,000sf

ARCHITECT
Solomon Cordwell Buenz

DEVELOPMENT COST
$230M

FINANCING
Fundamental Partners

COMPLETION DATE
Late 2023

SUSTAINABILITY
Enterprise Green Communities
Fitwel Healthy Building Certification

The Domain Companies are currently finishing up developing the exchange project across the street from the SLC library.

I was just asking about that site not that long ago. Glad we didn't have to wait too long to find out what was planned.

This is directly from the Domain Companies' website https://thedomaincos.com/portfolio/south-west-temple/:
Quote:
This mixed-use community in downtown Salt Lake City will include a 28-story residential high-rise, retail, two floors of shared office space, and a boutique hotel. Located in a qualified Opportunity Zone, the project will feature best-in-class design, sustainability, amenities, and services and will be positioned as Salt Lake City’s premier mixed-use development.

APARTMENTS: 340
RETAIL SPACE: 6,200sf
OFFICE SPACE :58,000sf
ARCHITECT: Solomon Cordwell Buenz
DEVELOPMENT COST: $230M
FINANCING: Fundamental Partners
COMPLETION DATE: Late 2023
So it sounds like they are still planning a 28 floor tower on the site, in addition to the second 9 floor building depicted in the renderings.

You should also check out the architecture firm's website: https://www.scb.com/ I personally really like some of their designs.

I have to say, of all the proposals for this site that have come and gone over the years, this seems like the most 'real' to me. We know that the company developing this is capable of financing it, and the architecture firm is a large national company that is relatively well known. Color me impressed.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 11:49 AM

The great development news just keeps on coming for downtown!

Not so much the mixed-use intentions of the guts of the project, but I wonder how preliminary the design is on this tower. Will be anxious to see the planned entirety of the tower with top included. Good sign that Domain was eager to step into developing this sight. Salt Lake City is really on a roll. IMO, this coming decade, Salt Lake and CSA will not be playing poor man to anyone.

Speaking of the CSA. I wish we had a couple of enthusiastic forum members covering the Northern Climes of Layton/Ogden. Companies like Northrop Grumman are developing into a huge presence along the Northern Wasatch Front, and bringing a lot of growth and development with them.

This next decade 'could' be truly amazing for SLC. A CSA of over 3 million and growing, with continued density developing in its district/town nodes, electric cars and buses beginning to become the norm, the double tracking of Front Runner and continued expansion of TRAX and BRT. Of course, 500 and 600-plus ft. towers for what will be a large and beautiful Downtown/Central Salt Lake City.

Back in the 60's my parents were newlyweds. In addition to their 9 to 5 jobs they had a dream to have some property and a small ranch. In those days the street they lived on was called Sugar Street, and located at what was then the metro perimeter of the valley. South of their home was pretty much open country. A leader in the area and friend of the family advised them to buy land in the Draper or Alpine area. He foresaw what has now become 7200 South and the boomtown of Midvale. They looked at property in Draper, but decided to move even further out to some land straddleing the Alpine/Highland border. Well, what was once the countryside sticks of Alpine and Highland have now become McMansionville for the upper income techies of the Silicon Slopes. It all makes me chuckle a little and shake my head. I really hope that Front Runner develops its double tracking soon. I miss having animals around me like dogs and horses and such. I'm one of those who likes to be able to enjoy the city center, but have a small ranchette around me. It won't be long before one will have to be located in the far north or far south of the Wasatch Front to be able to afford some horse property. I do love Heber Valley, but who knows how dense or affordable that will be in 10 years.

I love the growth, but for those of us who would like to eventually settle along the Wasatch Front and would like a little elbow room, it makes me wonder what areas will still be affordable, and conveniently located.

Last edited by delts145; Sep 28, 2020 at 12:54 PM.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 2:53 PM
Space Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
I drove though austin again last week and continue to be amazed at all the growth. SLC could be a poor man's austin soon
Nashville and Austin are clearly in a league of their own right now, but on top of dozens of new midrises and a brand new airport, the list of towers in progress in SLC is really getting impressive for a city of its size.
  • 95 State at City Creek - 28 floors - 395 ft
  • Hyatt Regency - 26 floors - ~320 ft
  • Liberty Sky - 24 floors - 262 ft
  • 255 S. State - 13 floors
  • Kensington Tower - 39 floors - 448 ft
  • Utah Theater Tower - 32+ floors - 450 ft
  • 370 S. West Temple - 28 floors - 400+ ft
  • Regent St. Hotel revival - ?? floors - 330+ ft
  • Block 67 Phase II - 3+ towers - 300+ ft
  • RL Hotel Development - 17 floors + multiple midrises
Considering that our peer cities (by population) are places like Buffalo, Jacksonville, Sacramento, and Louisville, I think SLC really stands out in terms development.

Plus we have the best mountain views of any urban area in the US, so our skyline is already better than all of these places

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 3:38 PM

I'm sure most will agree that both Austin and Nashville are way behind Salt Lake City when it comes to transportation infrastructure. I'm surprised Nashville leadership has been so anti mass-transit considering its projected growth. Also like you pointed out Atlas, while Austin is in a nice area by Texas standards as far as topography, it will never be in the same league as the Wasatch Front. Salt Lake will continue to increase its number and height of highrises over the next ten years, but I don't see too many major metros that will ever be able to compete with the beauty, diversity and abundance of its outdoor lifestyle.

Last edited by delts145; Sep 28, 2020 at 3:48 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West