HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 10:25 PM
I am the law!

The parade planners screwed up really bad.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Of course they do. I don't think there's any rule on the forum against discussing fairy tales.
Hey, the Jets came back to Winnipeg. It can happen, but I will acknowledge it is an uphill battle.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 10:33 PM

Class

Warriors congratulate Raptors with full-page ad
The Canadian Press June 17 2019

TORONTO — The Golden State Warriors are showing their championship pedigree even in defeat.

The Warriors took out a full-page ad in Monday's Toronto Star to congratulate the Raptors on their first NBA title. The Raptors beat Golden State in six games to win the championship series and deny the Warriors a third straight Larry O'Brien Trophy and fourth in five years.

"The Golden State Warriors congratulate the Toronto Raptors on their historic achievement and bringing the 2019 NBA championship to the City of Toronto," read the ad, which featured a black-and-white photo of Warriors point guard Stephen Curry hugging Raptors counterpart Kyle Lowry after Game 6.

The Raptors finished off the hard-fought series with a 114-110 win Thursday in Oakland, Calif. The team celebrated with a parade through Toronto on Monday.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
With that many people crowded together unfortunately some dumb shit like that is bound to happen. Thankfully for the most part things seemed to run pretty smoothly and everyone was happy & friendly.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/t-o-at...uare-1.4469419
Truly awesome right there.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 10:36 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doady View Post
Sounds to me like you're the only one getting touchy here. How many more times are you going to keep bitching about this? You're the one is doing all the complaining first, then you get angry that other do the same thing.
Your baby's beautiful. Do not fret.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 10:41 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
That is a scary amount of people. Imagine a Leafs Stanley Cup parade. I don't think the City will let that many people gather like that again.
All due respects, but I think this Raptors parade would trump any Leafs parade ever.

The GTA is over 50% visible minority. A lot of these minorities are not really into hockey. I imagine a Leafs Stanley Cup parade would only be about half this size.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Not to bash on Toronto but tons of cities with millions more people go through multiple days and even weeks without shootings.

It is actually alarming to see Canadians in some cities (not just Toronto) begin to accept this as the new normal.
You aren't the only one, I find it alarming too that some Canadians find it acceptable to have shootings & stabbings as part of sports celebration parade.
Americans have huge crowds at sporting events like car racing or tail gate rallies etc, especially for College sports like football with well over 100,000 people at their stadiums and you rarely hear about shootings/stabbings.

Toronto is very new to this sort of sports parade though so maybe it will just take time for the organizers to plan better... if there is ever a next time.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 10:44 PM

Productivity was down the crapper for companies across the GTHA today.

It's kind of like the GTHA when the FIFA World Cup is played during the day. Just that the World Cup doesn't have a dip nearly this drastic during any one day/time... but instead has smaller drops of productivity spread out along the weeks it's played. At least with this parade they get it all the slacking out of the way in a single day.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 10:46 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskScraper View Post
Two with serious injuries at shooting during Raptors Parade!, also four stabbed in two different incidents!! wow, just WOW!!

Toronto sure knows how to do things up right
it's not an important championship title until someone gets killed maybe.

https://globalnews.ca/news/5400259/s...onship-parade/

Mean while in St Louis, no shootings or stabbings during it's parade with half a million Blues sports fans...

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/15/sport...cup/index.html
For good or bad, what you saw in Toronto probably will never happen again in the US. You can not freely walk up to Kawhi and give him a cactus down there. There are always barricades and security checkpoints to go through for every event I've seen.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
I understand why they were there. The Mayor and PM for sure. Doug Ford can go screw himself like he has screwed over the city of Toronto. At least the booing made it somewhat worthwhile. Not a good sign for him or the cons in the GTA. John and Justin must have loved the sound of that.
We shouldn't celebrate his unpopularity too early. We have to bear three more years of the reptilian asshole. I do find it interesting to note the marked difference in public opinion of DoFo and Dump, who are of a comparable bottom-of-the-barrel calibre, though DoFo is not a brazen criminal. DoFo stumbled into public disfavour early and has only sunk further in the polls, while Dump has been on a multiple-per-day outrage/crime rampage for 2 1/2 years, and still enjoys fairly widespread support from his large cohort of degenerates. Their bases are base, but DoFo's is smaller and shrinking, while Dump's reprobates unfailingly hover at about 40%.

Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
You aren't the only one, I find it alarming too that some Canadians find it acceptable to have shootings & stabbings as part of sports celebration parade.
Americans have huge crowds at sporting events like car racing or tail gate rallies etc, especially for College sports like football with well over 100,000 people at their stadiums and you rarely hear about shootings/stabbings.

Toronto is very new to this sort of sports parade though so maybe it will just take time for the organizers to plan better if there is ever a next time.
I would not blame the organizers. They cannot control who shows up. The problem is how many of these elements exist in a given city.

BTW police chief says 4 people shot today.

I am the law!

Quote:

Toronto is very new to this sort of sports parade though so maybe it will just take time for the organizers to plan better... if there is ever a next time.
For good or bad, what you saw in Toronto probably will never happen again in the US. ( and I don't mean the shooting) You can not freely walk up to Kawhi and give him a cactus down there. There are always barricades and security checkpoints to go through for every event I've seen. It's safer and a little sad.

I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
All due respects, but I think this Raptors parade would trump any Leafs parade ever.

The GTA is over 50% visible minority. A lot of these minorities are not really into hockey. I imagine a Leafs Stanley Cup parade would only be about half this size.
That's my thinking as well. NBA is simply cooler than the NHL these days, especially with young people.

Even here - small market, overwhelmingly white. I never knew anyone here even followed the NBA until we got the Edge. Everyone under 30 went mad. The team was a bigger draw than hockey, which had been by far our largest-audience sport. I imagine the effect is even greater in a larger, diverse city that competes in the main league.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

Who knows? Sounds like quite the event today! I am hearing on the radio right now that the parade wasn't planned very well...took too long. Also heard Nathan's Square was packed to the gills..commentator on the radio said it was dangerously overpacked.

With that said, this was the first big sports parade of such a magnitude since the Jays in 1992/93 so there will be some bugs to be worked out after this experience and things will run more smoothly when (hopefully) the next big championship is celebrated.

Now that I think about it, 2 million would be hard to duplicate again (for Raptors, leafs or Jays) as public officials would likely actively discourage so many people from gathering in a concentrated area of downtown like this.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Class

Warriors congratulate Raptors with full-page ad
The Canadian Press June 17 2019

TORONTO — The Golden State Warriors are showing their championship pedigree even in defeat.

The Warriors took out a full-page ad in Monday's Toronto Star to congratulate the Raptors on their first NBA title. The Raptors beat Golden State in six games to win the championship series and deny the Warriors a third straight Larry O'Brien Trophy and fourth in five years.

"The Golden State Warriors congratulate the Toronto Raptors on their historic achievement and bringing the 2019 NBA championship to the City of Toronto," read the ad, which featured a black-and-white photo of Warriors point guard Stephen Curry hugging Raptors counterpart Kyle Lowry after Game 6.

The Raptors finished off the hard-fought series with a 114-110 win Thursday in Oakland, Calif. The team celebrated with a parade through Toronto on Monday.
Nice job Warriors!

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 10:53 PM

I think a Leafs parade will be just as big - partially because it would be a HUGE deal considering their drought. But that's not a knock on what they pulled off today. In fact, that's actually high praise to be able to draw as much as a parade for a sport that's #1 in the market.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 10:57 PM

Quote:
originally posted by WhipperSnapper

For good or bad, what you saw in Toronto probably will never happen again in the US. You can not freely walk up to Kawhi and give him a cactus down there. There are always barricades and security checkpoints to go through for every event I've seen.
I haven't followed any of the NBA sports Finals, so I don't now what the reference to Kawhi and giving him a cactus means but from what I have seen from fb posts from people in Toronto and the kind of celebration makes me think that hopefully Toronto has learned it's lesson, for the better, for the first time 30 years after joining the NBA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I would not blame the organizers. They cannot control who shows up. The problem is how many of these elements exist in a given city.

BTW police chief says 4 people shot today.
oh, worse than I thought...

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 11:43 PM

Amazing that plant guy and Kawhi connected and for sure he’s gonna end up court side for a game next year. I bet people saw who he was and parted the Red Sea to let him through.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 11:49 PM

Gasol and his 7 foot frame was so tipsy dude almost fell over the railing twice when bus moved while I saw him. When tfc players like gio were passing through the York underpass in 2017 it was already a tight fit. These dudes were scraping their hats on the ceiling while sitting down.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 12:05 AM

Apparently this post is offensive. Deleted for the sensitive souls.

Last edited by theman23; Jun 18, 2019 at 3:55 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada