HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Jul 26, 2011, 9:50 PM

This building looks awesome!

Old Posted Jul 26, 2011, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
I know some places in the W had to wait a couple months before the balconies had the railings on them and were unlocked. There was an 18-wheeler parked at the Vic today full of the red glass and railings.
Even though I haven't seen it yet, I'm glad they didn't back off the red glass...this city needs some color and this is a great spot for it. Think this will look sharp with the white cement board on the waterside.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2011, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishblade View Post
If I were moving into the building in the middle of summer I would be pretty upset about this, but their probably just going to have the balconies blocked off until they can put railings on.
The building is air-conditioned, so while a balcony is nice, should still be easily livable until railings installed. This must be one of the only - or maybe the only - air-conditioned rental in the city.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2011, 10:33 PM
Urban Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRM View Post
VIC is a rental building.
Yes, but rental or not, the point is still valid.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2011, 12:00 AM

I like that jack-up scaffolding they are using!

(oh the VIC is pretty cool too...)

Old Posted Jul 27, 2011, 1:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haligonia View Post
Yes, but rental or not, the point is still valid.
Yes the point is valid. Just pointing out that condo owners would take a much larger financial hit when paying the deed transfer tax to the city upon occupancy while renters would not. I was just thinking that taking a greater financial hit and having to take ownership of an unfinished unit would probably be much more distasteful for an owner who paid full price up front, but received a unit that is not finished. In this case renters have more recourse because they can go to the tenancy board for rent relief if they are paying their rent per the rent agreements they signed up to a year ago but are not receiving all benefits listed in the rental agreement.

In either case working on deficiencies in the units being rented now will not be a priority once they are occupied. The priority will be working on the remaining empty floors to get them ready for occupancy. Then deficiencies on the first five floors will be dealt with.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2011, 2:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
Good eye beyeas.

It probably is solid, but probably solid, foamed polystyrene. Here is information on one of several manufacturers - http://www.foamfactory.com/foam-mouldings.html. Here are some different material grades in case anyone would like some impressive architectural polystyrene trim on their house ... http://www.foamfactory.com/foam-product-specs.html
It is not not solid at all I have worked with it alot when I used to do stucco when I first moved here to calgary, it's called full system, basicaly just foam with nylon mesh put on with cement and apoxy mix then covered with about 2mm more cement acrylic mix, they use it on alot of comercial buildings and it breaks rather easy but insulates well at least in alberta's climate. the tims right next to my house in garrison green is missing a giant chunk out of the corner and people keep pulling the styrafoam out soon the elements will be able to penetrate it fully ......GARBAGE!

Old Posted Jul 27, 2011, 2:54 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by resetcbu1 View Post
It is not not solid at all I have worked with it alot when I used to do stucco when I first moved here to calgary, it's called full system, basicaly just foam with nylon mesh put on with cement and apoxy mix then covered with about 2mm more cement acrylic mix, they use it on alot of comercial buildings and it breaks rather easy but insulates well at least in alberta's climate. the tims right next to my house in garrison green is missing a giant chunk out of the corner and people keep pulling the styrafoam out soon the elements will be able to penetrate it fully ......GARBAGE!
I meant solid as in a solid block of polystyrene (it doesn't appear to be a hollow block of polystyrene). I believe it is polystyrene which can vary in density just like the insulating material. However, I realize that it is not solid like stone, and I agree with your sentiment - that it seems to be a cheap imitation of real stonework. I wasn't advocating the use of polystyrene architectural trim, I was just pointing out that it was likely polystyrene foam.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2011, 2:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
I meant solid as in a solid block of polystyrene (it doesn't appear to be a hollow block of polystyrene). I believe it is polystyrene which can vary in density just like the insulating material. However, I realize that it is not solid like stone, and I agree with your sentiment - that it seems to be a cheap imitation of real stonework. I wasn't advocating the use of polystyrene architectural trim, I was just pointing out that it was likely polystyrene foam.
sorry my bad .... totaly agree.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2011, 7:54 AM
BANNED

Halifax is fillin' in!!

Click on this video, taken by myself a couple days ago.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2011, 11:15 AM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by resetcbu1 View Post
Garbage indeed! Another snow job for HRM, planning, HRMxD and people who have to look at it. (this would have been billed as stonelike material) What would the lifecycle of glorified styrofoam be? Can this oversized cornice withstand an unforgiving Maritime climate? Will chuncks of falling ice blast through it and will Louis L. run out to replace it in the middle of the night if need be?

Maybe it is more robust than granite?...........time will tell!

Old Posted Jul 27, 2011, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire View Post
Garbage indeed! Another snow job for HRM, planning, HRMxD and people who have to look at it. (this would have been billed as stonelike material) What would the lifecycle of glorified styrofoam be? Can this oversized cornice withstand an unforgiving Maritime climate? Will chuncks of falling ice blast through it and will Louis L. run out to replace it in the middle of the night if need be?

Maybe it is more robust than granite?...........time will tell!
the life cycle/durability may be more related to what covers it; Greenvale's exterior brick was covered over by Styrofoam, which was then stuccoed; turned out nice and no doubt durable. Could be the same here.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2011, 12:14 AM

Not exactly the tallest in the area but defenitely visible! (photo by me);

Old Posted Aug 2, 2011, 1:15 PM

Still patiently waiting for those red balconies.

People were moving in over the weekend. I hope they are getting some sort of discount on their rent. It is still a very active construction site.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2011, 2:59 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
Not exactly the tallest in the area but defenitely visible! (photo by me);

Once Fenwick is renovated that view will be aaamazing!
The VIC will compliment it extremely well.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2011, 3:10 PM
Fizzix geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeJay View Post
Once Fenwick is renovated that view will be aaamazing!
The VIC will compliment it extremely well.
When I was at the market this weekend I was thinking how the Vic in some ways seems to mirror the Westin, in the sense of having all the different styles etc melded into one building.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2011, 3:43 PM

quickie from yesterday

Old Posted Aug 13, 2011, 3:52 AM

Some from this week;

Old Posted Aug 13, 2011, 5:26 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

It is coming together, although I kind of resent that foam cornice now. I wish it just wasn't there.

Looking at the view down Hollis, this is another part of the city that has changed considerably over the past 10 years or so. About half of the buildings in that shot are newer (Bishop's Landing, Waterford, Salter, Four Points, Vic, NSP), plus Keith Hall is being restored.

Theoretically we could also see the Alexander go up at some point along with a new building on the empty lot at the corner of Bishop and Hollis.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2011, 6:29 PM

I think the effect kind of fails where that cornice on the corner is a different width.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth