HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Old Posted May 10, 2019, 7:19 PM

PHILADELPHIA | Residences on Race | 200 FT | 17 FLOORS

It's not Residences at the Ritz, its:

Title: Residences on Race
Project: Residential
Architect: ?
Developer: Steven Eizen Real Estate
District: Center City
Neighborhood: Logan Square
Floors: 17
Height: 200' (estimated)

17-story condo tower to rise in Comcast Center’s backyard
Quote:
A string of row houses in Center City are set to come down to make way for a 17-story condo tower proposed just a stone’s throw from the Comcast Center, according to city construction permits.

The project, dubbed the “Residences on Race,” would clear three large 19th century buildings for 29 condo units housed in a glassy 190-foot edifice.

The existing structures were not historically protected and permits have already been issued for their demolition. Now used by nearby Friends Select School, the buildings have been owned and leased for the last 20 years by real estate broker Steven Eizen, who is also helming the latest redevelopment proposal.

Eizen said he has already secured the necessary zoning changes for the project and is confident in his ability to secure financing for more high-end housing units in a growing market he has watched change dramatically over his decades in the business.

“There are no big parcels left in Center City,” he said. “This is probably one of the last big pieces left.”

Eizen’s plans for the 6,000 square foot parcel show a series of two-bedroom units with floor plans ranging from 1,600 to 2,400 square feet of living space and and a high-tech automated parking garage with 28 spaces. Commercial uses are intended for the ground level, though the development is in its early phases and the school’s lease has not yet expired.

“If we’re somewhere between step one and 100, we’re probably at step three,” Eizen said. “This is not going to happen tomorrow, but maybe in the next year or year-and-a-half.”
http://planphilly.com/articles/2019/...ter-s-backyard

Old Posted May 10, 2019, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by article
“There are no big parcels left in Center City,” he said. “This is probably one of the last big pieces left.”
Funny that he should say that, given that there are not one but four parking lots on Race St alone (and that's just west of Broad!) but I'll take what I can get. This is good infill.

Old Posted May 10, 2019, 7:33 PM

Good infill, wish it was taller though since they are knocking down what looks to be an in tact building - it also looks miniature in comparison to its backdrop. Is the parking lot across the street part of the huge tower project being funded by the church?

Old Posted May 10, 2019, 7:51 PM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milksteak View Post
Good infill, wish it was taller though since they are knocking down what looks to be an in tact building - it also looks miniature in comparison to its backdrop. Is the parking lot across the street part of the huge tower project being funded by the church?
That's on the Archdiocese's land. It's part of the proposal.

SITIOAU.COM

Old Posted May 10, 2019, 8:16 PM

Y'all gonna hate me -- but I'm not at all into this project. Those 4-story brick rowhouses (I know they aren't residential anymore) are really great looking, old-timey Philadelphia, so close to the skyscrapers--it's stuff like that that makes Philly unique. Knocking them down for a very generic looking 17-story tower isn't progress to me. BOOO!

Old Posted May 10, 2019, 8:23 PM

^ Ditto

Old Posted May 10, 2019, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawnadelphia View Post
Y'all gonna hate me -- but I'm not at all into this project. Those 4-story brick rowhouses (I know they aren't residential anymore) are really great looking, old-timey Philadelphia, so close to the skyscrapers--it's stuff like that that makes Philly unique. Knocking them down for a very generic looking 17-story tower isn't progress to me. BOOO!
I agree on this one. I mean, it’s legal and all. But we’re losing something aesthetic and unique for something generic that really won’t even make much dent in the skyline at 17 stories. Meh.

Old Posted May 10, 2019, 8:46 PM

According to the renderings we’ll get to keep at least one rowhome.

Not quite sure where I fall on this one yet.

Old Posted May 10, 2019, 8:54 PM

Count me as against this development too. This building would be blah if it was replacing parking lot. If they want to replace this charming row of excellent 19th row homes they need to step to the plate with something better. Those row homes have stood the test of time for over 100 years. This building doesn't look like it'll stand the test of 20 years.

Old Posted May 10, 2019, 9:42 PM

100% against this development. Those rowhomes are large and very handsome and unique. This building is one of the most generic buildings and surely will stand out along the parkway as an eyesore. What a shame.

I believe the lot is located within the height restriction overlay since it is close to the Parkway. Buildings are height restricted within so many feet of the Parkway.

Perhaps this is why there was such a compromise with design? If you are going to knock those beautiful buildings down you need to replace it with something just as handsome or more striking. Period.

This is not an 'improvement'.

Old Posted May 11, 2019, 12:09 AM

This will be very prominent along the Parkway looking from the Art Museum. I would say this was a decent building if we're judging it solely for what it is. But losing that building makes it bittersweet.

Old Posted May 11, 2019, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volguus zildrohar View Post
That's on the Archdiocese's land. It's part of the proposal.
Its not - this would be right across the street from the lower right corner of this site plan.

Old Posted May 11, 2019, 12:11 AM

I think I’m OK with it, but it is a shame to lose these rows, especially since there are so many parking lots still in this area.

Still, a new building here will mesh well with the Archdiocese towers.

Old Posted May 11, 2019, 12:14 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milksteak View Post
Good infill, wish it was taller though since they are knocking down what looks to be an in tact building - it also looks miniature in comparison to its backdrop.
It falls within the Southeast Parkway Buffer Area.

(.2) Main Cornice Line.
The maximum height of the main cornice line shall be three times the width of the building facade fronting on or visible at ground level within the boundaries of the Benjamin Franklin Parkway. In no case may the height of the main cornice line exceed the following:
(.a) Between Broad and 17th Streets: 230 ft.
(.b) Between 17th and 18th Streets: 200 ft.
(.3) Above the Cornice Line. 225
No portion of the building, except pediment or attic wall, may exceed the height of the cornice, unless the portion above the cornice recedes from the plane of each building wall face at least as far as said portion extends above the cornice line. In no case may the height of any portion of a building exceed the following:
(.a) Between Broad and 17th Streets: 268 ft.
(.b) Between 17th and 18th Streets: 245 ft.

Map of buffer area:
http://library.amlegal.com/nxt/gatew...e_-0-0-0-18444

Old Posted May 12, 2019, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
Count me as against this development too. This building would be blah if it was replacing parking lot. If they want to replace this charming row of excellent 19th row homes they need to step to the plate with something better. Those row homes have stood the test of time for over 100 years. This building doesn't look like it'll stand the test of 20 years.
Completely agree. This developer should be run out of the city.

Old Posted May 12, 2019, 4:20 PM

Hell no, put that copy and paste tower somewhere else.

Old Posted May 13, 2019, 4:16 AM

Please no. Good god, these old brick buildings ARE Philadelphia and they are going to be torn down for this ... a building that would be barely noticeable in "name a city", USA? I'm all for progress but ...

Old Posted May 13, 2019, 3:50 PM

This tower should go a block south where there is an empty lot and the Subway in the triangle looking 2 story structure. Would make way more sense there

Old Posted May 13, 2019, 5:00 PM

Can a mod tag this as Philadelphia?

Old Posted May 13, 2019, 5:00 PM

Re-iterating what I posted on the other thread here: this feels like a flip at best. Small time developer (googled him, he's 74). The school is still using the parcels in the middle of a lease. This feels like he's going to do the legwork to try and clear the way for a large scale project, then flip for a few million and retire to Brigantine.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive