HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 5:54 PM
The Vomit Bag.

It is sort of strange how the 401 suddenly widens to 5 lanes in each direction in KW, before quickly going back to 3 lanes each way. I have heard that eventually, the plan is to have 5 lanes each way minimum, from Toronto to KW, but this may just be a rumor.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
It is sort of strange how the 401 suddenly widens to 5 lanes in each direction in KW, before quickly going back to 3 lanes each way. I have heard that eventually, the plan is to have 5 lanes each way minimum, from Toronto to KW, but this may just be a rumor.
That is indeed the plan eventually.

The wider part is getting brought out to Milton from Mississauga right now, and they are extending the part in Cambridge from Hespeler Road to Townline Road right now as well.

They will start construction on a part of the 401 in Guelph (where Highway 6 runs concurrently) in a few years to widen it to 10 lanes as well as a part of the Morriston Bypass project.

They then just have to fill in the two gaps.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 10:44 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
There's local need for that now. But longer term, as Innsertnamehere noted, it's going to be the beginning/end point of a much wider 401 between KW and T.O.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post

The wider part is getting brought out to Milton from Mississauga right now, and they are extending the part in Cambridge from Hespeler Road to Townline Road right now as well.
All roads lead, in a widened format, to the beauty known as Milton.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 10:59 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
All roads lead, in a widened format, to the beauty known as Milton.
Milton may just end up being the Nexus of the Ontariverse.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2021, 12:33 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Milton's for lovers...
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Apr 16, 2021, 12:48 AM

Breakfast at the Filthy Wheel was always a staple of family trips in that direction. School trips, we almost always stopped at the Milton McDonalds, which used to have a US style sign that seemed to be about 100 feet high lol.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2021, 1:26 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
Breakfast at the Filthy Wheel
Didn't that star Audrey Hepburn and George Peppard?

(or was it Audrey Heartburn and George Peppered)

Old Posted Apr 16, 2021, 2:19 PM
The Vomit Bag.

i will always love Audrey Hepburn. She's one of a kind. A legend.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2021, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Milton may just end up being the Nexus of the Ontariverse.
Milton... the Moose Jaw of Ontario.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2021, 8:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
That is indeed the plan eventually.

They will start construction on a part of the 401 in Guelph (where Highway 6 runs concurrently) in a few years to widen it to 10 lanes as well as a part of the Morriston Bypass project.

They then just have to fill in the two gaps.
Those two gaps likely won't be filled for at least a decade, if not more. Few reasons IMO:

1. Combined, those two gaps are approximately 30 km (21 + 9). That's an incredibly expensive project(s) and quite a long distance. In addition, going by MTO's history, they will likely do small 4-6 km sections every 3-4 years even once they begin.

2. At least at the moment, the traffic flows quite well in those sections unless there's an accident, or when you are approaching the sections being widened.

3. Once the widening Milton-Mississauga and Cambridge completes, traffic theoretically should get even better in those sections.

I don't see MTO taking any actions in the next 10 years, but probably quite a bit more than 10 years.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2021, 2:52 PM
The Vomit Bag.

At least Moose Jaw has a really cool name (plus maybe some Capone-era tunnels). Milton? Sounds like that dweeb that sat at the front of the room, who wore his glasses at an angle and was really socially awkward.

rotn

Old Posted Apr 17, 2021, 7:57 PM

Quote:
At least Moose Jaw has a really cool name (plus maybe some Capone-era tunnels). Milton? Sounds like that dweeb that sat at the front of the room, who wore his glasses at an angle and was really socially awkward.
Milton. Hamilton without the Ha lol.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 2:52 PM

Quote:
At least Moose Jaw has a really cool name (plus maybe some Capone-era tunnels).
In all seriousness, Moose Jaw definitely has the tunnels (I have been in them) but they long pre-date Capone. They were used to keep Chinese laundry workers out of the public's eye, and to shuttle goods between businesses without having to go outdoors.

It's strongly suspected that they were used by Capone-era people to help move alcohol around - the Soo Line railway goes from Moose Jaw to Chicago. It's likely Capone was there more than once, and probably used the tunnels to get around.

Milton does seem pleasant enough to me, though. I have been a couple of times. And I will always remember them as the home of Transactor Magazine, the best technical Commodore computing magazine of the 1980s.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 4:40 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
Milton. Hamilton without the Ha lol.
Sometimes it's just separated by punctuation. Ha! Milton or Milton? Ha!

Some aspects of Milton are quite pleasant. The original downtown and adjacent older neighbourhoods. The park and mill pond just north of the old town centre. The setting near the Niagara Escarpment, with Kelso conservation area and Glen Eden ski hills and trails just to the west.

The shame is what surrounds much of that on all sides and continues to spread. Better there though than around Action or Georgetown, or between those places and the 401. They're growing too but I believe they're more restricted because of the Greenbelt and escarpment lands.

Old Posted May 4, 2021, 8:30 PM

View of the 401 from Trafalgar Road in Milton. The basketweave ramp that will link the 407 ramps to the left side of the westbound collectors is visible in the distance on the left side of the this photo:

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_4...ay21_24x16.jpg

Last edited by sonysnob; May 4, 2021 at 8:44 PM.

Old Posted May 4, 2021, 8:31 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Sometimes I wonder: will we ever get a flyover from 407 EB to 401 WB? As it stands right now, it’s a really tight loop.

Old Posted May 4, 2021, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Sometimes I wonder: will we ever get a flyover from 407 EB to 401 WB? As it stands right now, it’s a really tight loop.
What are the stats for what kind of traffic that gets? I have no idea, but intuitively, it doesn't seem like it would warrant it.

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 6:35 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
It's really not that bad, if you compare to some of the other loops for freeway-to-freeway interchanges -- 175m or so diameter, vs. 145m not far south where 407 and 403 meet, 150 at 407/QEW

The demand probably doesn't warrant anything more now.

If we ever do see the GTA-West/"413" built, this entire interchange would probably be rebuilt to accommodate it and flyovers would be part of that.

Old Posted May 6, 2021, 4:42 AM

According to MTO's website for construction updates (https://511on.ca/list/constructionpr...r%5Bdir%5D=asc), it appears they are planning on completing the 11 km widening between Tilbury and Chatham by the end of November. That's really fast, although not surprising given they just have to fill in the median and install concrete barriers - the existing 4 lanes don't need to be touched.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario