HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 11:57 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

The cost of the new Codiac RCMP HQ project has apparently gone up. Nobody is willing to disclose by how much. I wonder if this has anything to do with the apparent delay in this project. They may be looking at reworking the design and size of this project to decrease costs.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
The cost of the new Codiac RCMP HQ project has apparently gone up. Nobody is willing to disclose by how much. I wonder if this has anything to do with the apparent delay in this project. They may be looking at reworking the design and size of this project to decrease costs.
Every day, the price of building materials increases. I was told to wait until demand decreases before getting another quote for some home renos. Could they simply be waiting for prices to stabilize as to not announce a 200% increase at current rates and cause panic?

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 1:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
Every day, the price of building materials increases. I was told to wait until demand decreases before getting another quote for some home renos. Could they simply be waiting for prices to stabilize as to not announce a 200% increase at current rates and cause panic?
There's no way the cost would triple.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 1:29 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

There's actually a good article about this on 91.9 The Bend:

New RCMP Facility Pushed To 2024; Costs Could Soar
Moncton, NB, Canada / 91.9 The Bend
Robert Lothian
Apr 20, 2021 5:48 AM
https://www.919thebend.ca/2021/04/20...-R9NWblfqiLQc8

Quote:
The new timeline is believed to provide many benefits including more competitive bids, cost savings and reduced pandemic risks.
Councillors are apparently distressed by the public secrecy about the increased costs, but the city manager stated that projections must remain confidential so as to not influence a competitive bidding process. Some councillors also questioned the size of, and the amenities provided by the new building (the implication being that they are "lavish").

What concerns me most about the delay in the RCMP project is that this will in turn likely delay other projects planned by the city into the future. Moncton tends to do one "big" thing at a time. The Codiac regional policing facility had to wait until the Avenir Centre was complete. If the new RCMP HQ will not be complete until 2024, then it is pretty clear that Downing Street Phase 2 and a potential relocation of the city market to Downing Street likely will not occur until 2026 or even later. Such a delay is important since the timing of the Downing Street project will influence all plans for the development of the Assumption Place parking lot area. This land is owned by Ashford, and we therefore may not see anything significant by Ashford here until nearly 2030.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 2:26 PM

One thing missing is that the opening is pushed to 2024, not the start of construction. So yes it will still delay, but hopefully the city will be able to work in other projects during that time. They could also move some projects forward.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 3:31 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Here's the CBC article on the Codiac RCMP HQ:

Moncton keeps latest cost for RCMP station under wraps as construction delayed
Construction pushed back a year, opening expected in February 2024
Shane Magee · CBC News · Posted: Apr 20, 2021 6:30 AM AT | Last Updated: 6 hours ago
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...ease-1.5993396

Quote:
The City of Moncton, N.B., won't say how much a new Codiac Regional RCMP station is now expected to cost, and a decision on whether to go ahead with the multimillion dollar project has been bumped to later this year.

The delay moves the decision to be handled by the council elected next month. Timelines have changed on the project and its cost has risen in recent years. In 2018, the new building was expected to be open by September 2020. However, now it's looking like 2024 at the earliest.

The city's 2021 budget includes a cost of $46 million for the building, a figure that predates increases in construction material costs during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Councillors were given the latest cost estimate April 12 in a closed-door meeting, but staff wouldn't reveal the figure during a public update Monday.
Quote:
Aucoin told council the building will be designed to last 25 years, an amount she described as standard for a police facility. She said it's designed to accommodate growth over those 25 years in the police force, with the ability to have up to 394 staff.

The 7,673-square metre building would cover two floors and a third-floor mechanical space.

She told council it would feature various work spaces for officers, an emergency communications centre, multipurpose room, gym, atrium with a "living wall," rooftop solar panels and electric vehicle charging stations.

Under the city's public art policy, the old $46-million price tag would also require spending $200,000 on public art for the building.

This rendering of the proposed HQ facility is from a different perspective than previously released renderings.

The perspective actually matches quite well with this aerial view of the Albert Street site which has been cleared and prepared for construction.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 11:19 AM

Lots of solar panels on the roof!

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 7:07 PM
Non-Farmers, Farm Celery

Quote:
There's actually a good article about this on 91.9 The Bend:

New RCMP Facility Pushed To 2024; Costs Could Soar
Moncton, NB, Canada / 91.9 The Bend
Robert Lothian
Apr 20, 2021 5:48 AM
https://www.919thebend.ca/2021/04/20...-R9NWblfqiLQc8

Councillors are apparently distressed by the public secrecy about the increased costs, but the city manager stated that projections must remain confidential so as to not influence a competitive bidding process. Some councillors also questioned the size of, and the amenities provided by the new building (the implication being that they are "lavish").

What concerns me most about the delay in the RCMP project is that this will in turn likely delay other projects planned by the city into the future. Moncton tends to do one "big" thing at a time. The Codiac regional policing facility had to wait until the Avenir Centre was complete. If the new RCMP HQ will not be complete until 2024, then it is pretty clear that Downing Street Phase 2 and a potential relocation of the city market to Downing Street likely will not occur until 2026 or even later. Such a delay is important since the timing of the Downing Street project will influence all plans for the development of the Assumption Place parking lot area. This land is owned by Ashford, and we therefore may not see anything significant by Ashford here until nearly 2030.
They're delaying it until the new counsel is elected so depending on if there are major changes the project could be canned altogether. Someone needs to put in an access to information request and find out the exact amount the cost has increased and whether it's worth it to go forward or not.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 7:11 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewber View Post
They're delaying it until the new counsel is elected so depending on if there are major changes the project could be canned altogether. Someone needs to put in an access to information request and find out the exact amount the cost has increased and whether it's worth it to go forward or not.
It's hard to imagine them cancelling this project altogether.

The election however may have factored into to decision to delay the decision though.

If tough decisions need to be made (especially a decision accepting an inflated construction bill), the existing councillors may have preferred to punt the decision down the road rather than enraging tax paying voters just before the municipal vote.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2021, 6:01 PM

There was an interesting story in the paper today about the federal budget, where the government has allocated $300 million towards converting vacant commercial properties into rental housing. They want to help the market in light of the hit the pandemic has caused to downtown office space. I'm not sure if there are landlords in Moncton who could take advantage of this, but it would be nice to have more people living downtown as opposed to vacant commercial space.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2021, 7:53 PM

Quote:
[I]

This rendering of the proposed HQ facility is from a different perspective than previously released renderings.
I'm sorry, but I still think that building is bloody ugly, and in such a prominent location.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2021, 9:48 PM

Just needs an image of Colonel Klink on the roof with binoculars and a sign in big black block letters: Stalag 13.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2021, 10:40 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'homard View Post
Just needs an image of Colonel Klink on the roof with binoculars and a sign in big black block letters: Stalag 13.
The new Codiac RCMP headquarters is an exemplar of the traditional school of police architecture (yes there is such a thing).

Old Posted Apr 28, 2021, 1:05 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

It's basically the same design as used in most of the schools we've built in the last 15 years.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2021, 6:53 PM

Looks like work at the new Happy Craft Brewing is ongoing. They posted on FB they received large tanks and equipment for brewing.

https://www.facebook.com/happycraftbrewing

Old Posted Apr 30, 2021, 4:40 PM

There's now an excavator onsite at the old Co-op location

Old Posted Apr 30, 2021, 5:01 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lirette View Post
There's now an excavator onsite at the old Co-op location
Interesting. Still nothing from PAC, and no renderings available.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2021, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Interesting. Still nothing from PAC, and no renderings available.
I drove by the site this morning and I noticed half ton trucks and a couple of men on the property. I can't wait to see the renderings for this project. Then we'll see if the 10 floor rumour is true!

Old Posted Apr 30, 2021, 6:21 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I have just received a rather cryptic personal message from a source who stated that the Coop development will be "much larger" than even the two 10 storey towers previously rumoured.

There is no reason for this source to deliberately mislead me, so I believe that this individual honestly believes that his(her) information is reliable.

There is so much secrecy about the Coop development, it does make you wonder why. Will this be a truly transformative development? Is this the reason why there is so much secrecy???

Old Posted Apr 30, 2021, 6:46 PM

Quote:
I have just received a rather cryptic personal message from a source who stated that the Coop development will be "much larger" than even the two 10 storey towers previously rumoured.

There is no reason for this source to deliberately mislead me, so I believe that this individual honestly believes that his(her) information is reliable.

There is so much secrecy about the Coop development, it does make you wonder why. Will this be a truly transformative development? Is this the reason why there is so much secrecy???
Ugh. That's just mean.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces