HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #521  
Old Posted May 29, 2014, 12:55 AM
kph06's Avatar
kph06 kph06 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,795
There's a new crane in behind Delridge Lane, pretty sure this is for more Keil Developments land, they did all the Gardens buildings further up Larry Uteck.

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #522  
Old Posted May 29, 2014, 5:33 AM
Dmajackson's Avatar
Dmajackson Dmajackson is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: B3K Halifax, NS
Posts: 8,522
^The crane is for the proposal below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
Kiel Developments will be constructing the multi-unit building at 76 Armenia Drive. They are trying to get their construction permit in place. The building will be 70-units / 6 floors.

Source : "Victor Kielbratowski Does Another $17M Deal" (December 10th, 2013) - AllNovaScotia.com
In other news I was in the area a couple of weeks ago. Nine Mile Drive extension to Oceanview has curbs in place and should be opening very soon. Armenia Drive extension will likely open at the same time. Over on Starboard Drive blasting and excavation is underway so that connection is a few months off.
__________________
Halifax Developments Blog

- DJ
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #523  
Old Posted May 29, 2014, 5:39 PM
OldDartmouthMark OldDartmouthMark is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 5,391
Was in the Larry Uteck area yesterday and couldn't help but wonder why the proliferation of 5 - 6 storey buildings sprawled out along the length of the street rather than fewer buildings of greater height and remaining lands used for other purposes (which would have to have been a part of the initial planning strategy by HRM).

Regardless, wouldn't a developer stand to make more money by adding more height to a building? Why are we still getting stuck with sprawling low-height apartment buildings in this day and age?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #524  
Old Posted May 29, 2014, 5:44 PM
Drybrain Drybrain is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Was in the Larry Uteck area yesterday and couldn't help but wonder why the proliferation of 5 - 6 storey buildings sprawled out along the length of the street rather than fewer buildings of greater height and remaining lands used for other purposes (which would have to have been a part of the initial planning strategy by HRM).

Regardless, wouldn't a developer stand to make more money by adding more height to a building? Why are we still getting stuck with sprawling low-height apartment buildings in this day and age?
The problem isn't their height (I mean, most of Lower Manhattan outside the financial district is six storeys high) but that they're. as you say, sprawled out with loads of unnecessary green space and giant parking pads surrounding them.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #525  
Old Posted May 29, 2014, 5:57 PM
OldDartmouthMark OldDartmouthMark is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 5,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
The problem isn't their height (I mean, most of Lower Manhattan outside the financial district is six storeys high) but that they're. as you say, sprawled out with loads of unnecessary green space and giant parking pads surrounding them.
The height comment comes more from the idea of being able to provide more units using less space, plus the advantage of using the land's elevation to have some spectacular views of the city/harbour. But, yes the sprawl is the real issue here.

Can't help but think that the area would have been better in general with more density and using "leftover" lands for designated park/hiking trails or some other public space to make it a nicer place to live.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #526  
Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 8:25 PM
dgmacneil dgmacneil is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 8
Halifax developments

HALIFAX DEVELOPMENTS

This is a great URL: https://mapsengine.google.com/map/ed...c.kG3WsJ8pU2dk
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #527  
Old Posted Jun 12, 2014, 11:27 AM
Ziobrop's Avatar
Ziobrop Ziobrop is offline
armchairitect
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Halifax
Posts: 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
The height comment comes more from the idea of being able to provide more units using less space, plus the advantage of using the land's elevation to have some spectacular views of the city/harbour. But, yes the sprawl is the real issue here.

Can't help but think that the area would have been better in general with more density and using "leftover" lands for designated park/hiking trails or some other public space to make it a nicer place to live.
given all the unused street frontage for these apartments along larry Uteck, I would have liked to have seen the Retail Stretched out along the street, with parking in back, rather then clustered how it is. a main street sort of setup would be much better looking, and be something very different.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #528  
Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 3:17 PM
curnhalio's Avatar
curnhalio curnhalio is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 314
I took a cruise around the area yesterday and I can report that the two ends of Nine Mile Dr are officially connected, and Armenia Dr is paved and built but not yet open for travel.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #529  
Old Posted Aug 2, 2014, 3:59 PM
Dmajackson's Avatar
Dmajackson Dmajackson is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: B3K Halifax, NS
Posts: 8,522
The plans to transfer 118 residential units from West Bedford Sub-Area 9 to an area off of Starboard Drive is moving along. One building will be removed from Larry Uteck Blvd and in return the developer will be able to build two 12-storey / 150-units buildings on Friesian Court.

Case 18514
__________________
Halifax Developments Blog

- DJ
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #530  
Old Posted Aug 17, 2014, 2:25 AM
Dmajackson's Avatar
Dmajackson Dmajackson is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: B3K Halifax, NS
Posts: 8,522
Construction has started on 49 Friesian Court off of the Starboard Drive extension. The building is on Cresco lands and will be 12 FL / 150 UNITS. The foundation walls can be seen along Highway 102.
__________________
Halifax Developments Blog

- DJ
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #531  
Old Posted Aug 24, 2014, 2:03 PM
q12's Avatar
q12 q12 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Halifax
Posts: 3,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
Construction has started on 49 Friesian Court off of the Starboard Drive extension. The building is on Cresco lands and will be 12 FL / 150 UNITS. The foundation walls can be seen along Highway 102.
Friesian Court is now paved with sidewalks and connects to Starboard Dr. behind Sobeys.

Here is Friesian Place


Source


Also there are new stakes in the ground for a free standing unit between Tim's and McD's.

Last edited by q12; Aug 24, 2014 at 2:26 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #532  
Old Posted Aug 24, 2014, 2:36 PM
Hestian Hestian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4
I think it is an extension to Micky D's parking lot..
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #533  
Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 2:12 PM
bluenose bluenose is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hestian View Post
I think it is an extension to Micky D's parking lot..
It will be a parking lot, however, not for McD's, construction workers mentioned a building going at end of lot
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #534  
Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 1:49 AM
kph06's Avatar
kph06 kph06 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,795
The tower crane for Fresian place arrived on site tonight. Looks like it might be a new to Halifax crane, possibly all white, hard to tell from the highway.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #535  
Old Posted Dec 6, 2014, 2:04 PM
kph06's Avatar
kph06 kph06 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
Friesian Court is now paved with sidewalks and connects to Starboard Dr. behind Sobeys.

Here is Friesian Place


Source


Also there are new stakes in the ground for a free standing unit between Tim's and McD's.
Looks like the rendering for this changed. The tower crane is now up, it's a new to Halifax flat top crane.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #536  
Old Posted Dec 6, 2014, 3:56 PM
q12's Avatar
q12 q12 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Halifax
Posts: 3,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
Looks like the rendering for this changed. The tower crane is now up, it's a new to Halifax flat top crane.
This was the old rendering I found on Google Images:
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #537  
Old Posted Dec 8, 2014, 2:40 PM
OldDartmouthMark OldDartmouthMark is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 5,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
This was the old rendering I found on Google Images:
That rendering reminds me of the Luxors on Larry Uteck.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #538  
Old Posted Jul 25, 2015, 1:19 PM
q12's Avatar
q12 q12 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Halifax
Posts: 3,450
Looks like work to connect Starboard Drive is starting.

Last edited by q12; Jul 25, 2015 at 1:37 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #539  
Old Posted Oct 28, 2015, 1:49 PM
cdufton cdufton is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 4
Anyone know anything about the Parlour Golf and Lounge that is under construction in the plaza on Dellridge?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #540  
Old Posted Oct 28, 2015, 7:58 PM
q12's Avatar
q12 q12 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Halifax
Posts: 3,450
Looks like it's called Patrons Golf & Lounge opening mid-November

https://www.facebook.com/Patronsgolfandlounge

Also Jiffy Lube is building a new location next to TD Bank. This is their 3rd location after Dartmouth Crossing and the Airport.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:52 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.