HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs

Old Posted May 4, 2010, 2:46 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

[Halifax] The Craigmore | 46 m | 16 fl | Complete

Banc Properties are planning to move forward with a 16 storey condominium development for Craigmore Drive in Armdale (behind the "CGI" building, by Manulife). Because the development is as-of-right, they can begin immediately.

Renderings are supposed to be release next week, according to Allnovascotia.

Old Posted May 4, 2010, 2:58 AM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Banc Properties are planning to move forward with a 16 storey condominium development for Craigmore Drive in Armdale (behind the "CGI" building, by Manulife). Because the development is as-of-right, they can begin immediately.

Renderings are supposed to be release next week, according to Allnovascotia.
Bonkers!!!!

So good for that area!!!!!! OMGGGGG!!!!! We'll have a real west end cluster!!!!

Old Posted May 4, 2010, 3:26 AM
we built this city

Anybody know how many other AOR sites exist? Developers should really have built on these during better times!

1. Trinity
2. Craigmore
3. ???

Old Posted May 4, 2010, 3:37 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
Anybody know how many other AOR sites exist? Developers should really have built on these during better times!

1. Trinity
2. Craigmore
3. ???
International Place.

Old Posted May 4, 2010, 3:43 AM

It'll defenitely be the tallest in the neighbourhood.

BTW This proposal now makes FOUR 10+ storeys projects approved in the mainland south! I sense another fariview-like skyline appearing down there.

Old Posted May 4, 2010, 4:07 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

They say it will be approximately the same height as the Manulife Building, which is something like 12 storeys (but office).

This site is not too far from the Dutch Village Road tower proposal site or the construction site on Bayers Road. It's nice to see this part of the city fill in.

Old Posted May 4, 2010, 7:02 AM

Sounds great, I would love to see this area develop into a little hub, and then maybe someday we might rebuild the train station that used to be there . I don't know how it works -- do these AOR sites exist from variances made in the past? Does this date back from when Maritime Life was expanding their business campus?

Old Posted May 4, 2010, 11:40 AM

this is great, there will be a nice cluster of buildings in that area
really good move,

Old Posted May 5, 2010, 4:48 AM

Great news. I just hope it has a respectable design.

Old Posted May 6, 2010, 1:19 AM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
Great news. I just hope it has a respectable design.
I agree... at least they won't have to be in court for the next 3 years, lol

Old Posted May 11, 2010, 2:42 AM

I got an alright look at the design tonight on the news, from what I could see it looked fairly nice, a nice amount of glass. City council and the developer had a meeting with local residents tonight and I guess a lot of NIMBY's showed up.

Old Posted May 11, 2010, 4:13 AM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by cormiermax View Post
I got an alright look at the design tonight on the news, from what I could see it looked fairly nice, a nice amount of glass. City council and the developer had a meeting with local residents tonight and I guess a lot of NIMBY's showed up.
Of course they did... fucking NIMBYs... too bad they can't do shit because its AOR!

Old Posted May 11, 2010, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cormiermax View Post
i personally agree with the nimby's on this one as i believe it will have a negative impact on the rosemount area, which is a nice little area in the city that is tucked back in the woods, making it a rare place. I guess this means the craigmore building will not have any parking?

In the end it is AOR and well nothing can be done.

Old Posted May 11, 2010, 10:50 AM
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Of course they did... fucking NIMBYs... too bad they can't do shit because its AOR!

God thats satisfying isnt it? It's great to know that opposition is impossible on this one.

Old Posted May 11, 2010, 11:19 AM

Actually I agree, sdm. I'm not sure I'm so hot on this particular idea either. That area on both sides of Dutch Village from the rotary up to the Teacher's College I'd be adverse to changing -- except maybe the entrance to the Fairmount subdivision, but that's undergone somewhat recent new development anyway.

If you've ever been back around those houses it's a great neighborhood. I'm not sure this particular Condo, for once, is a good idea. But maybe I need to see the renderings.

Old Posted May 11, 2010, 2:08 PM

There's a lot of anger that part of the building will house troubled teens.

Old Posted May 11, 2010, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdm View Post
In the end it is AOR and well nothing can be done.
God love the pureity of the zoning system!

Unlike many Western Provinces, like Alberta or Manitoba that would consider these projects discretionary and be subject to an appeal.

You can't legislate good taste!

Old Posted May 11, 2010, 8:54 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

It is a nice area. The tower might be good or bad in that location; it really just depends on how it is designed. I don't think it's a given that highrises ruin areas with single family dwellings.

There's also lots of room around the malls for condo towers. West End Mall would be the perfect place for about half a dozen 20-30 storey buildings. They could be positioned away from houses and would have good access to transit.

Old Posted May 11, 2010, 11:07 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
It is a nice area. The tower might be good or bad in that location; it really just depends on how it is designed. I don't think it's a given that highrises ruin areas with single family dwellings.

There's also lots of room around the malls for condo towers. West End Mall would be the perfect place for about half a dozen 20-30 storey buildings. They could be positioned away from houses and would have good access to transit.
I totally agree... just because there is a tower in the area doesn't mean its going to hurt the neighborhood.

Look at The Welsford... a perfect example of how a tower can co-exist with the houses around it... its actually quite tall and is a great addition of density to the Quinpool area.

The Manulife building is right there and it doesn't cause any problems now does it?

I want to see renderings before I make any judgements.

Old Posted May 12, 2010, 12:29 AM

Quote:
I totally agree... just because there is a tower in the area doesn't mean its going to hurt the neighborhood.

Look at The Welsford... a perfect example of how a tower can co-exist with the houses around it... its actually quite tall and is a great addition of density to the Quinpool area.

The Manulife building is right there and it doesn't cause any problems now does it?

I want to see renderings before I make any judgements.
the difference on the manulife building is the lot size and the fact it backs onto a number of more commercial developments including rail road tracks.

The welsford is on a bigger lot, a lot bigger and is on a corner with significant street frontage.

This lot is small (being built on the existing buildings parking lot)and is right on the front door steps of many of the houses that would be nessled in the woods. The existing building is going to remain from what i've been told.

Renderings or not, i think its a poor choice, but as expressed it's an AOR and well everyone including myself has to live with it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs