HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs

Old Posted Jul 12, 2011, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
That doesn't seem to make sense though - it's a heliport, not a functioning airport anymore. The runways are no longer active, the ILS systems removed. Unless the helicopters take off in a certain pattern for military operations, they should just be able to take off vertically and go.
May not make sense, but it is definitely the case...I have seen the flight plane drawings myself...and they have been a thorn in my side...

Old Posted Aug 2, 2011, 12:35 AM

Grabbed some photos in this area heading back to Bedford;

Old Posted Aug 3, 2011, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post

This is going to be the new Steele Mazda dealership. There several new dealerships going up around metro (new & makeovers).

Old Posted Aug 3, 2011, 12:38 PM

Quote:

They will soon begin work on a clone of this building. There will basically be 3 identical buildings 'facing' a central circular driveway when the development is done.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2011, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northend Guy View Post
They will soon begin work on a clone of this building. There will basically be 3 identical buildings 'facing' a central circular driveway when the development is done.
Another spectacularly ugly HRM cookie-cutter design. These things should be outlawed.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2011, 12:07 PM
Fizzix geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Another spectacularly ugly HRM cookie-cutter design. These things should be outlawed.

you could pretty much drive through every single suburban area of Halifax and find more or less this identical building again and again and again and again and...

Old Posted Aug 30, 2011, 3:04 AM

Plans are out for "Lot BD-6" which is across from Shannex;

www.partnersglobal.com

Old Posted Sep 1, 2011, 6:13 PM
Dartmouth Girl

First, could we get this thread renamed just "Russell Lake West" seeing as the retail portion is pretty well finished, and it is now pretty much covering the whole area now in general?

I got up to work yesterday about an hour early, so I had some time to wander around before starting, snapped a few pics with my phone, so they're not great, but they get the job done!

Something I found interesting, "Chateau Royale" has been allowing moving in for the last week or so, half of the building is officially "open" today. Kinda silly to me, the place doesn't even have a paved driveway yet, and no access to the underground parking.

They are starting prep on building #2, hole is there and the rock base is down ready for foundation anytime. Considering the fact they disassembled but left the crane on site, I'd expect that we'll see it going up again pretty soon.

[Climbing up that huge pile of dirt gave a great vantage point over the whole area ]

I still have no idea what this building is going to be called, but it is located on the north corner of Baker & Basswood, across from Chateau Royale.

Lastly, a couple quick snaps of the new Steele Mazda @ 15 Lansing Court- Just across the intersection of Mount Hope and Baker- from Sobeys.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2011, 4:50 PM

Another crane went up this week.

IMG_5422 by Jonovision23, on Flickr

Old Posted Sep 25, 2011, 6:57 PM

The Mazda dealership noted above isn't totally finished yet, but I noticed yesterday that they are open already.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2011, 11:10 PM

Portland Street plans

Chedrawe to break ground in fall for retail buildings
By CHRIS LAMBIE Business Editor
Mon, Sep 26 - 4:55 AM

DARTMOUTH — Developer Danny Chedrawe is planning a $10-million commercial project for Portland Street.

The president of Westwood Developments Ltd. expects to close a deal later this month to buy the two-hectare property that used to house Steele Auto Group’s Mazda dealership.

"We’re purchasing the former Mazda dealership and we’re building a commercial development on it," Chedrawe said.

"We’re hoping to start that in October."

Steele has already moved its Mazda dealership to its new digs on Baker Drive in Russell Lake West.

Chedrawe is planning to build two commercial buildings on the former car dealership site. One will be 6,000 square feet and the other will be twice that size.

Chedrawe wouldn’t name the two national retail tenants that will occupy the buildings.

"They have to make their own announcements. I can’t talk on their behalf."

The construction on the two buildings should be completed by next May, Chedrawe said.

Westwood Developments has several other projects on the go around the municipality. Those include a $25-million apartment building in north-end Halifax and a $10-million, four-storey office complex on Spring Garden Road that will house a TD Canada Trust branch.

The company also owns the Millstone Square Shopping Centre in Russell Lake West. That 72,000-square-foot complex is anchored by Sobeys and Kent Building Supplies.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/DCW/1265115.html

Old Posted Oct 23, 2011, 3:20 AM

From today;

Old Posted Oct 24, 2011, 2:03 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Quote:
From today;

There is a lot of land in Russel Lake. I really wish that what has been used had of been used more wisely. Too many of these 4-5 storey football fields are being built there. There needs to be a focus on mid-high density going forward. I don't think 7-8 or higher floors is unacceptable for the location. Especially given the views that there would be of Halifax and Halifax Harbour.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2011, 3:23 PM

I suspect these are examples of the latest cookie-cutter design and are cheap to build. They remind me of an updated version of the stick-built apartments that began around here with Highfield Park in the '80s and then popped up all over the place for the next few years. One hopes this area fares better than Highfield over time.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2011, 4:12 AM
we built this city

I hope it "Fares" better as well. (If you didn't get the joke, I'm referring to Mr. Fares)

I'd like to see 12-15 story buildings out there.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2011, 6:24 PM
You talkin' to me?

I remember looking at the plans for Russell Lake West a long while back and I think the tallest condo buildings they have planned are 6 stories. It's unfortunate but this seems to be destined to be a low density neighbourhood like much of the suburban developments happening around HRM.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2011, 2:44 PM

There are height restrictions at play here due to Flight Planes that are still maintained for Shearwater. These buildings are literally built to within inches of the planes.

In other news for this area - the strip mall that houses Sam's Seafood etc. is going to be housing a new Access Nova Scotia facility. (driver's licenses , etc.) That will certainly increase traffic to this area.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2011, 3:21 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northend Guy View Post
There are height restrictions at play here due to Flight Planes that are still maintained for Shearwater. These buildings are literally built to within inches of the planes.

In other news for this area - the strip mall that houses Sam's Seafood etc. is going to be housing a new Access Nova Scotia facility. (driver's licenses , etc.) That will certainly increase traffic to this area.
Is the Access from 650 Portland moving or are they splitting it into 2 locations?

Old Posted Oct 27, 2011, 6:31 PM

I'm not sure - I suspect that they would not have two locations that close together. The plans also show a capacity similar to what is in Bayer's Lake, so it appears that is a relocation as opposed to a division.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2011, 3:23 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

I wasn't aware that the height limits were so strict there. I always assumed there was more room in the flight path areas. This is sort of what I would have preferred from what has been built.

From the WMfares website.

This was the new one listed for Mount Royal in Halifax.

The only real difference is the fact that there are 3 additional floors but it makes all the difference when it comes to land use. Anyway, At least there is a good reason for the height restrictions.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs