HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs

Old Posted May 18, 2008, 2:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaliStreaks View Post
I was there a couple of years ago taking photos for this same reason as I was there today, I wasn't rude to them at all and I did tell them what I was doing, I then got treated like crap from all of the security as well as the mall management. I was doing nothing in the wrong and I was treated badly. What I said today wasn't really in a rude fashion, it was jokingly. He just nodded and went back to his booth lol
Well taking pictures is kind of a different story, I would understand their opposition to you photographing their property. But taking notes on a piece of papers is another thing altogether.

Old Posted May 18, 2008, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfx_chris View Post
It hasn't been like that in years...
I'm thinking it was 3 years ago the last time I was there. I remember going in through the set of entry doors by the food court and noticing the number of young people who were hanging around there both inside and out. There was surely more than a single Chinese food place operating there then.

Old Posted May 18, 2008, 3:39 PM

The last place to close in the foodcourt was the A&W, which closed probably a good 4-5 months ago. Before that it was some place called Dave's Fish House, which closed a year or so ago.
Wasn't there also a TCBY or some sort of ice cream establishment across from the theatre for a while? I know there used to be a place there that sold specialty popcorn, but they didn't last long (and the ice cream place lasted even less).
Oh, and there was a pretzel place in that location too once. That lasted quite a while.

Old Posted May 18, 2008, 5:17 PM
Dartmouth Girl

Quote:
The last place to close in the foodcourt was the A&W, which closed probably a good 4-5 months ago. Before that it was some place called Dave's Fish House, which closed a year or so ago.
Wasn't there also a TCBY or some sort of ice cream establishment across from the theatre for a while? I know there used to be a place there that sold specialty popcorn, but they didn't last long (and the ice cream place lasted even less).
Oh, and there was a pretzel place in that location too once. That lasted quite a while.
The popcorn place was the last tenant in the slot where Telus is now, and the corner slot has been TCBY (for a very short time), Pretzel Maker for a long time and there was something else that I cant recall before the TCBY.

I remember the first thing that led to the decline of that food court was when Orange Julius left, after they left, the decline started quickly.

Old Posted May 18, 2008, 5:43 PM

Penhorn was always the dirt mall when I was growing up... well not always. I worked at the Wal-Mart for a bit, and I'm going to miss the flea market. If only they could turn that into a sunnyside, or Village at Bayers Road kinda mall, only more pedestrian friendly. Shoot with the mall going there's more room for a proper Metrotrans, terminal, it is at the cross point of the circ and Portland.

Either way it's too good of land to be a bumblefuck of a retail development. I hope it's something progressive.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2008, 11:35 PM

no spill but they can't get the oil smell out of there,same problem at the tacoma drive canadian tire.sobeys is rebuiling there as well as that mall has to be torn down.they are taking walmart apart as we speak and I have a friend working for the demolition company who said its full of rats !!!good to see a revamp at penhorn,it needed this or to be completely mowed down.maybe sobeys won't be moving into the old canadian tire as they would have to rebuid the building.maybe thats why they are keeping the penhorn store.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2008, 2:41 PM

As I recall they had a rat problem when I worked there once upon a time, but I could see that it would get worse since it closed...

Old Posted Jun 8, 2008, 3:49 PM
Dartmouth Girl

One day a week or so ago I had gone up to penhorn to take a new tally of what is closed, there are a couple more places gone. Tim Hortons was closed as of the 4th, and Bangz is gone now too, it seems the really cheap clothing store (smart fashions, I think?) down by the wal-mart end has moved. With Tims being closed at that end of the mall, making that entire end court vacant, that might be signaling that they are probably going to take that end court of the mall out all together and just build a wall where Northern Reflections is at that end.

On a side note, I was peeking in where you are still able to see into the wal mart space (between the glass doors and the wall, and if you just sit and wait and watch, you'll see rats running around in there, also to mention it was raining that day, and there was water coming out of the ceiling at a fairly steady rate onto the floor and into a few buckets and garbage cans that were placed around.

Everything highlighted in blue in this image (to the right of the line) is now closed and I think is what they are probably going to be tearing down, the rogers booth is still there, but that wouldn't be too hard to move.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2008, 1:30 AM

I had no idea the Tom Hortons had closed. I've never seen a closed Tim Hortons before... that's just such a strange idea

Old Posted Jun 11, 2008, 10:25 PM

tims will reopen...with a drive thru

Old Posted Jun 11, 2008, 11:13 PM
Dartmouth Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by penhornpal View Post
tims will reopen...with a drive thru
Oh? Do you know when and whereabouts? Is it going to be a standalone store away from the mall in the (now) parking lot?

Old Posted Jun 12, 2008, 12:49 AM

Drive thru!!!! Why are we still building drive thrus!? They are horrible and just perpetuate laziness and engine idling. Why can't people just park and get out of their cars? sorry, little pet peeve.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2008, 11:13 AM

A pet peeve I share, but Tims would probably be lambasted if they built a location without a drive-thru. When they re-built the Esso on the #7 Highway out by Forest Hills, they put a Tim Hortons in it - with a drive-thru. The lineup there is outrageous, so despite the negatives people still flock to them even though sitting for 5-10 minutes in a busy drive-thru is often taking up more time than parking and running in.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2008, 6:24 PM

stand alone store..not sure when it will open but it will have a drive thru

Old Posted Jul 1, 2008, 12:32 AM

They've begun tearing down sections of the Wal-Mart where it's connected to the mall. Unfortunately I only got to see it passing by from the highway, so no pictures.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2008, 4:38 AM
Dartmouth Girl

Quote:
They've begun tearing down sections of the Wal-Mart where it's connected to the mall. Unfortunately I only got to see it passing by from the highway, so no pictures.
Will go up tomorrow to get photos!

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 4:31 AM
Dartmouth Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaliStreaks View Post
Will go up tomorrow to get photos!
Due to an unfortunate exploding washing machine incident and Canada Day happenings, I wasn't able to get to Penhorn to take photos today.

However we drove past real quick and I'd say from what I could tell, about 1/4 of the wal mart is gone already, they are starting to tear it down from the wall connected to the mall towards portland street, the one wall is still connected to the mall and free-standing.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 10:12 PM
You talkin' to me?

A few of the pics I took today at the mall of the demolition of the old Wal Mart:

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 10:39 PM

Hmm. I hate watching buildings get demolished

Thanks for the pictures though. Ordinarily, I park at Penhorn every day - except this week.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 12:30 AM

Really? To me there is nothing better then seeing a crummy old walmart come down. I almost want to dance!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs