HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 2:34 AM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
That's 2 Montrealers on the roster now. Should help our Montreal Raptors get that 'play in' spot.
I'm liking the new look Montreal Raptors a lot. It's amazing how much better Khem Birch is than Aron Baynes. How the heck did it come to pass that an NBA champion two years ago, who had the second best record in the league last year, was starting an out-of-shape schmuck with seal flippers for hands? Sheesh.

This season is becoming enjoyable again because players are developing and getting playing time. It looks like Gary Trent Jr. may be turning into a major cog, and Malachi Flynn has the potential to be a solid backup to Fred VanVleet. It’s always exciting when a team has potential.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 2:12 AM

Fun Game last night against the Thunder. Not exactly a classic but lots of Canadians playing well.

We had 3 players from Montreal (Boucher, Dort, and Birch)

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 1:03 AM

I hope we get to see more Canadian players in the NBA because it will be good for our game going forward

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 9:11 PM

Raps wrapped up an extremely disappointing season a few days ago. 7th worst record in the league. While I was never as high on this year's team as some of the prognosticators on TSN (some predicted a 4th place finish in the conference), I thought a 6th or 7th place finish was reasonable.

Perhaps the Raps will have some lottery luck and draft top-3 this year. What is the word on this year's draft picks anyways? Are the top projected picks thought to be average, better or worse than recent drafts?

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 9:46 PM

Raptors played like trash all year...sorry ain't sorry LMAOOOOO not a Raptors fan by any means but I am a Celtics fan tho. But back to this years Draft, it is supposed to be a deep draft loaded with talent. Probably the most loaded draft class since 2009 which had Steph Curry, Blake Griffin, James Harden, DeMar DeRozan, Ricky Rubio, etc.

Prospects to get excited about: Cade Cunningham, Evan Mobley, Jalen Suggs, Jalen Green, Jonathan Kuminga, Scottie Barnes, Davion Mitchell

But it all comes down to ping pong balls due to Draft Lottery...luck of the draw

Old Posted May 20, 2021, 1:49 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tg11 View Post
I hope we get to see more Canadian players in the NBA because it will be good for our game going forward
The basketball system in Canada has grown massively the last 10 years but there are 2 glaring holes.

AAU Basketball programs now exist in Canada so attention needs to turn to university basketball. People say that it's impossible to build university basketball programs that can compete with the NCAA but they said the same thing about Canadian AAU Basketball. Carleton is proof that we can build programs that are competitive with NCAA D1 schools. We need to build 10 more and have Canadian basketball fans show support for them in the same way that Americans show support for their university basketball programs.

Secondly, we need more growth in professional basketball nationally. At the minimum, we should aim for at least 2 more NBA teams in Canada by 2030 and the strengthening of the CEBL/NBL. If we're to cement our position as a basketball nation we need to build and support more than 1 team (Raptors). What always strikes me about this thread is how 1 solitary team, sucks up almost all the oxygen in the room. The majority who visit this thread seem interested in 1 team only. When discussion goes beyond that, they're just not interested. It shows that Canadian basketball has a long way to go still.

Last edited by isaidso; May 20, 2021 at 2:04 AM.

Old Posted May 20, 2021, 12:24 PM

Quote:
The basketball system in Canada has grown massively the last 10 years but there are 2 glaring holes.

AAU Basketball programs now exist in Canada so attention needs to turn to university basketball. People say that it's impossible to build university basketball programs that can compete with the NCAA but they said the same thing about Canadian AAU Basketball. Carleton is proof that we can build programs that are competitive with NCAA D1 schools. We need to build 10 more and have Canadian basketball fans show support for them in the same way that Americans show support for their university basketball programs.

Secondly, we need more growth in professional basketball nationally. At the minimum, we should aim for at least 2 more NBA teams in Canada by 2030 and the strengthening of the CEBL/NBL. If we're to cement our position as a basketball nation we need to build and support more than 1 team (Raptors). What always strikes me about this thread is how 1 solitary team, sucks up almost all the oxygen in the room. The majority who visit this thread seem interested in 1 team only. When discussion goes beyond that, they're just not interested. It shows that Canadian basketball has a long way to go still.
I agree with all that but NBA ain't bout to expand and bring in 2 more teams...unless they expand from 30 to 32 teams just like the NFL. But even then they ain't goin to expand into Canada. It would most likely be 2 American cities getting teams. Sorry but that's the reality of our situation and that's keepin it real wit you dawg.

Old Posted May 26, 2021, 6:58 PM
Registered Drug User

Very much enjoying the schadenfreude right now. The hooperati consensus is that Kawhi's playoff failures two years in a row since leaving the Raptors have destroyed his legacy. He should have stayed in Toronto and continued to win big, because while he may have been the best player on a championship team in 2019, he's not actually cut out to be the leader of a championship-calibre team (which is what Kyle Lowry was).

The Raps would have won the title last year with Kawhi. Probably this year, too, as they wouldn't have blown up the team to reboot. I blame Kawhi. Bastard.

Also...Luka Doncic, holy fuck. He's masterful, getting what he wants on the big stage, and he's only 22. He's looking like the next generational player after Lebron. Really amazing to watch.

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 6:30 PM
ハルウララ

Canada roster for Olympic qualifying

Shai injured, Pangos and Boucher absent.

https://twitter.com/BlakeMurphyODC/s...32739454722052

Qualifying tournament is June 29-July 4 in Victoria.

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 7:43 PM
jammon member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Canada roster for Olympic qualifying

Shai injured, Pangos and Boucher absent.

https://twitter.com/BlakeMurphyODC/s...32739454722052

Qualifying tournament is June 29-July 4 in Victoria.
It's a really solid roster. If they can click, there's no reason why they shouldn't qualify.

Old Posted May 30, 2021, 6:56 PM
ハルウララ

Canada's 3-on-3 men's team failed to qualify for the Olympics this week at the qualifier tournament in Austria. Canada did beat Holland which managed to qualify but lost against Austria and Latvia. Canada finished 11th. Notably, the US also failed to qualify in the men's. Canada's women's team did not appear in their qualifier.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2021, 11:53 PM

Olympic Qualifying Tournament Victoria
Greece 50 Canada 46 Half time
Canada 74 Greece 71 3rd Quarter
Canada 97 Greece 91 Final

I can honestly say i wasn't feeling too confident at the half (and not just because we were losing). Greece was playing really well, but we picked it up at the half and the Greeks kind of fell apart. Their coach, Rick Pitino, was swearing at them (in the 4th) that they had abandoned the game plan and were improvising (badly) Canada took a ten point lead near the later half of the 4th quarter but the Greeks made it interesting getting within 4 near the final 34 seconds. It was a game of two halfs, one team won the first and the other won the second.

Last edited by elly63; Jun 30, 2021 at 12:57 AM.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2021, 11:32 PM

Canada 27 China 19 1st Quarter
Canada 59 China 46 Half
Canada 79 China 65 3rd Quarter
Canada 109 China 79 Final

1st Quarter - Canada, still slow starting and inconsistent but much better than vs Greece. China is definitely not as formidable as Greece was (so far)
2nd Quarter - Canada dominating and for a while it looked like it was going to get ugly, but there is a little too much individual play. When this group plays a true experienced team that plays together they will get tested.

Last edited by elly63; Jul 1, 2021 at 12:49 AM.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2021, 1:47 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Did the Canadians wear their special "Two Michaels" jerseys????

Old Posted Jul 2, 2021, 5:49 AM
The New Republic

So it will be Canada vs Czech Republic in one Semi-Final and Turkey vs Greece in the other. Crunch time.

This Canadian team has only been together a few weeks and played no exhibition games at all leading up to this OQT. it showed in the 1st half of their first game against Greece. The Greeks looked like a well oiled machine while Canada looked like they were trying to figure it out. Canada has had to gel quickly but has met the challenge. They got stronger as the Greece game progressed and it carried over to the China game. Both games give one confidence that the Czech game will go well too. I've waited 21 years to see Canada get to the Olympics so my stomach has been in knots all week.

The Victoria OQT is the big deal but not the only tournament of interest. The 2021 FIBA U19 World Cup in Latvia starts on Saturday and the Canadian team is stacked. 2 Montverde players, Caleb Houstan and Ryan Nembhard (Andrew Newbhard's brother), are on this team. So is 7'3" Purdue Boilermaker, Zach Edey. To add even more interest, 17 year old phenom Elijah Fisher is on the team too. He's been hyped like crazy for 5 years already. I remember news stories billing him as the best 12 year old basketball player in the world and the best 12 year old Canada has ever produced. He's so young that he would be eligible for the 2023 FIBA U19 World Cup too. Canada is definitely gunning for another gold medal to go with the one Canada won in 2017.

The jerseys are usually ugly but these look a few notches better. The font choice is decent and I like the asymmetry

http://www.fiba.basketball/oqt/canad...3-c4b6d057a336

Last edited by isaidso; Jul 2, 2021 at 6:50 AM.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2021, 6:11 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tg11 View Post
I agree with all that but NBA ain't bout to expand and bring in 2 more teams...unless they expand from 30 to 32 teams just like the NFL. But even then they ain't goin to expand into Canada. It would most likely be 2 American cities getting teams. Sorry but that's the reality of our situation and that's keepin it real wit you dawg.
Unfortunately, I agree with all that you're saying. I don't think we should give up on trying though. Winnipeg got a NHL franchise when it looked implausible. The NBA? Maybe we'll just have to 'steal' 2 American teams and ship them north.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2021, 4:41 PM

Quote:
So it will be Canada vs Czech Republic in one Semi-Final
Tomorrow, Saturday July 3 3:30 pm Eastern

Last edited by elly63; Jul 2, 2021 at 9:10 PM.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2021, 8:20 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Tomorrow, Saturday July 3 4:05 pm Eastern
Yes, that's right. CBC TV is broadcasting it so you don't have to stream. I wish they broadcast all the games though. None of the non-Canada games were broadcast. Neither was the Canada - China game. You had to sign up to a streaming service to get it.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2021, 8:31 PM

Czech 29 Canada 27 1st Quarter
Czech 52 Canada 44 Half
Czech 67 Canada 60 3rd Quarter
Czech 94 Canada 94 OT
Czech 103 Canada 101 Final

Canada off to their usual warming up period was down by nine at one point, had a good run to get back into it, then fell behind again. Got it close again at the end of the quarter.

Canada has to get more consistent in the first half, they're able to get away with it so far but if they end up playing a tougher country than they have as yet ie Turkey, they're going to be in big trouble. If the Czech can keep using their big men like they have so far, the dream might end today.

Czech were up 12 at one point, Canada shooting is ice cold, luckily Czech hasn't been much better. Still have hope they can chip away at it, but they are giving away free points at the line by missing free throws. Think I heard a player during play say "Dunk that shit" to Nicholson to get it down to 4.

Canada showed some heart to get it close then the Czechs sank a three and the lead became insurmountable. Very bad critical call from the ref overruling his two other officials to get two free throws for the Czechs on an obvious not unsportsmanlike foul on Canada. Evidence again of how a "team" can beat a collection of stars. Can't fault Canada, three point shooting was frozen cold and they missed free throws (it happens). Almost came close to pulling off a miracle at the end but again the three pointers eluded them (Canada 7 for 33 Czech 12 for 23).

OMG they did it, miracle, they were down 9 with 44 seconds left. Tied!

The story of the game was Canada couldn't penetrate against the big men and the Czechs making the 3s when they needed them. Czechs score with 1.4 seconds left, Canada had a chance to tie and shot didn't go down, end of story. Unfortunate.

Last edited by elly63; Jul 3, 2021 at 10:25 PM.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2021, 11:15 AM

Super disappointing but I become less and less surprised these days. I don't know how much it has changed over the decades but maybe it's just me experiencing it more and more, but having big name players or players at the highest level doesn't mean a whole lot. We see it time and time again, like Latvia beating Canada at the Worlds when Latvia didn't have a single NHLer. Team USA beaten many times at basketball since Dream Teams I and II. That's why the game is played on the field and not on paper. So don't be surprised if the soccer team doesn't qualify for the WC.

I've always said I think Nurse is overrated. He's very likeable and I have nothing against him personally. And I don't watch footage of the national team so it's really an uninformed opinion, but I just get the feeling there are better and more commanding coaches out there who could have done a better job with this group.

The main concern with RJ at Duke and starting out with the Knicks was that he couldn't shoot the ball. Tonnes of court presence (father is head of Canada Basketball) but low FG%. Well he really improved this past season. And Wiggins was the opposite. A shy guy on the court but really stepped up this past season on GSW. Maybe being in the same room as Steph and Draymond helped.

The tools were there, but man they really could have used Jamal. So unfortunate for that devastating injury. You'd like to think they would have qualified if he was there.

By the way, remember a couple of years ago the talk about guys not showing up to play for their country? Lo and behold, Kelly Olynyk, a BC guy, was part of the setup as recently as May but decided to bail in June because he's a free agent. Had a recent injury, but could have played. Wanted to protect his financial future from any possible harm. How much would he have helped?

Dencity was one of those guys saying how Canada's NBA players were not loyal or something (IIRC) and I and others made the point of why you'd risk your NBA career for that, especially when international success is not a big thing for NA players like it is for Europeans. I then gave examples of BC guys too like Nash and Dempster skipping out on national team duty despite being able to play.

There was also the sentiment that NHL players were selfless and would don their national jersey without blinking an eye, which is mostly true, but then I gave the example of how greedy they are too, which no one responded to. Example being the lockout where a bunch of established players and stars stayed in shape by joining European teams and taking away the jobs of other players in their fraternity of hockey pros. You know, guys who actually relied on that job for a living and maybe supporting a family. There was a trickle down effect where some of those guys then took AHL or ECHL jobs, which bumped out other guys. So established millionaires, still under contract, took the jobs of guys just getting by. LOL. Ya, so selfless.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada