HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs

Old Posted Jan 23, 2021, 5:22 PM

Interesting new proposal by United Gulf Ltd for the Traveller's / Esquire Motel sites. It expands the commercial spaces and relocates the remaining motel uses into a new modular setup.

Case 21826 Details

- DJ

Old Posted Jan 23, 2021, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
Interesting new proposal by United Gulf Ltd for the Traveller's / Esquire Motel sites. It expands the commercial spaces and relocates the remaining motel uses into a new modular setup.

Case 21826 Details
That might be the strangest proposal I've seen in a while. Am I getting this right? They want to add a parking lot and 40 shipping containers to the back of the motel for retail?

Old Posted Jan 24, 2021, 8:18 PM
Somewhat Pretentious

Seems unique to me as well, maybe a bit hidden / cut off for retail?

Old Posted Jan 24, 2021, 10:25 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Baklava View Post
Seems unique to me as well, maybe a bit hidden / cut off for retail?
That's my thought. At the very least if it fronted on a waterfront/trail area further north in Bedford it might work.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 1:40 PM

No, the retail would be at the north end of the site between the old Travellers and that newish commercial building. The area behind Esquire would be the modular motels.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 2:14 PM
Somewhat Pretentious

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
No, the retail would be at the north end of the site between the old Travellers and that newish commercial building. The area behind Esquire would be the modular motels.
Ah, yeah... that’s right. Tying that into the waterfront development is mentioned. I do still wonder how easy it would be to cross the rail tracks from whatever is built in around Crosby Island, similar to how the development along Waterfront Drive doesn’t tie into the Sobeys.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 3:02 PM
Just 183 km north of...

The train track issue reminds me of Whiterock, BC where the train tracks run along the waterfront with the pier accessible only by foot by walking across the tracks. I just took a look via Viewpoint.ca and saw the area captured well by drone camera. I've been to Whiterock just twice but never made it to the pier. The first time there I was unable to find a parking spot anywhere near the pier the second time we had intended to visit the pier prior to a dinner reservation but we were thwarted by a very long train.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 2:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
I work for Superstore and I heard from a corporate staff member that this project is supposed to open in March 2021. It is probably the first new Atlantic Superstore location to be built in close to a decade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeEtc View Post
I'm on the building site, and can confirm handover date is March 1 if no disasters happen.
Its also a very small superstore compared to others around. No Pharmacy. Projected opening date is March 15

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 10:32 PM

This is a new rendering of the apartment under development at 90 Hogan Court, across from the new Atlantic Superstore and Springhill Suites by Marriott. It’s branded as Harmony Square and owned by J2K Properties, who also owns Friesian Place and Leaman Towers across the 102. It has a planned opening of Fall 2021.

https://www.j2kproperties.ca/buildin...t-now-leasing/

Old Posted Mar 15, 2021, 12:43 AM

The Bedford waterfront skyline has a new addition with 305 Larry Uteck (146 units).

Halifax Developments Blog (Photo by David Jackson)

The rendering is too large for direct posting so I'll just post the link for Ghaffarpasand Architects. The developer is Ariana Developments who has built a few smaller multi-units in the new areas of Bedford.

- DJ

Old Posted Jul 30, 2021, 2:25 AM

Old Posted Dec 8, 2021, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdAstra View Post

This is a new rendering of the apartment under development at 90 Hogan Court, across from the new Atlantic Superstore and Springhill Suites by Marriott. It’s branded as Harmony Square and owned by J2K Properties, who also owns Friesian Place and Leaman Towers across the 102. It has a planned opening of Fall 2021.

https://www.j2kproperties.ca/buildin...t-now-leasing/
What a beast. Looks to be > 200 units!

Old Posted Jun 28, 2022, 3:39 AM

The Wave - 612 Bedford Highway

644 Bedford Highway

Both photos by me. See my signature for the link to my blog.

- DJ

Old Posted Jan 2, 2023, 6:35 PM

- DJ

Old Posted Jan 3, 2023, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
The Wave - 612 Bedford Highway

644 Bedford Highway

[/SIZE]
These are in Halifax, not Bedford.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2023, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMcK View Post
These are in Halifax, not Bedford.
I feel like this is an appropriate location for these photos given that is it tagged as Bedford South - which was the commercial name of the Clayton Developments Larry Uteck Phases. This thread covered the Armco (Royal Hemlocks), Universal (Wentworth Estates(?) & Jacob Lane), and Clayton (Bedford South) subdivisions. That would make a lengthy thread name!

Old Posted Jan 3, 2023, 8:25 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
I feel like this is an appropriate location for these photos given that is it tagged as Bedford South - which was the commercial name of the Clayton Developments Larry Uteck Phases. This thread covered the Armco (Royal Hemlocks), Universal (Wentworth Estates(?) & Jacob Lane), and Clayton (Bedford South) subdivisions. That would make a lengthy thread name!
It seems to me like the suburban section is a lot less busy than the urban section and so maybe it's good to balance things out anyway. If anything I'd shift it more in the suburban direction with areas like malls in Dartmouth counting as suburbs.

Does the Halifax-Bedford boundary from pre-amalgamation days exist in any form nowadays? Maybe as some political district boundary. Both are just places now, not municipalities.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2023, 5:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
It seems to me like the suburban section is a lot less busy than the urban section and so maybe it's good to balance things out anyway. If anything I'd shift it more in the suburban direction with areas like malls in Dartmouth counting as suburbs.

Does the Halifax-Bedford boundary from pre-amalgamation days exist in any form nowadays? Maybe as some political district boundary. Both are just places now, not municipalities.
I grouped the discussion threads into areas with I think are clear boundaries. For Bedford South the line is between Comfort Inn and Shaunslieve on Bedford Highway. There's a narrow service corridor there that runs up to Highway 102. North of this is continuous development associated with Larry Uteck. South is historic "Prince's Lodge" which is part of Halifax.

As for your question the official boundary between Bedford and Halifax does still exist. East of Highway 102 any civic addresses accessed off of Nine Mile and Southgate are officially in Bedford. Anything accessed off of Larry Uteck and Starboard are officially in Halifax. At the Bedford Highway the boundary runs between civics 752 and 757 (Clearwater).

It should also be noted that West Bedford's discussion thread includes Halifax addresses. Sub-Area 10 & 11 are accessed off of Kearney Lake Road which is officially in Halifax up to civic 337.

- DJ

Old Posted Jan 4, 2023, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I think part of the issue with lack of posts in the Suburban section is the large number of sticky topics cluttering up the top of the section. I find I often just skip past it because of those.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2023, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
I think part of the issue with lack of posts in the Suburban section is the large number of sticky topics cluttering up the top of the section. I find I often just skip past it because of those.
Probably more because people who would gravitate to SSP generally don't care so much about what is happening in suburban areas, except to express their disfavour with them.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs