HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 1:29 PM

Anybody have details on the large building currently being built by the rocky lake dome?

Old Posted Jan 6, 2022, 5:46 PM

BANC Group is proposing to continue developing the Bedford Commons area. To do this they are asking for a "Bedford East SPS" to be initiated. Basic facts are;

- Extension of Damascus Drive to Rocky Lake Drive.
- Up to 1711 residential units in a mix of townhouses and multi-units
- Up to 20 storeys in height with ground floor commercial
- 27 acre park attaching to current Tennis facility and school.
- 3 acre central park in a town square style.

Case 22257 - Regional Plan Review - Themes and Directions (very large file!) (info starts on Page 72)

Old Posted Jan 6, 2022, 8:06 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

One simple positive change to planning I see a lot of is the apartment buildings are often arranged with parking in behind. I think if they had a bit more mixed use, and connected together a bit better, some of these new areas would be pretty good.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2024, 6:59 PM

Sounds like it's possible Costco is planning it's 3rd location in the city for Bedford/Sackville. I wonder if this might go behind Canadian Tire or next to Staples in Bedford Commons.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2024, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
Sounds like it's possible Costco is planning it's 3rd location in the city for Bedford/Sackville. I wonder if this might go behind Canadian Tire or next to Staples in Bedford Commons.
"Sounds like"? Who's making those sounds?

Old Posted Jan 30, 2024, 9:25 PM

Quote:
So far Costco only has 2 lots in NS, but Ill keep an eye on it.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2024, 1:58 AM

typically Costco have a catchment area of ~250k within 25 miles
the chances of a 3rd Costco in HRM is unlikely

However there is a semi possibility of a Membertou one in CBRM

Old Posted Feb 1, 2024, 1:54 PM

Quote:

I also heard the same rumor from Reddit. The comment was: "I have a family member who's been working at the Halifax location since it opened and over Christmas he mentioned they are talking a third location in HRM as both locations were clearing over a million and a half bucks a day in sales in December."

I'm doubtful this will ever happen, but it would be a good location with the new highway soon to be completed there.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2024, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalifaxRetales View Post
typically Costco have a catchment area of ~250k within 25 miles
the chances of a 3rd Costco in HRM is unlikely

However there is a semi possibility of a Membertou one in CBRM
There is very little chance of that in CB as the Population of the entire Island sits at about 137,000 and Antigonish and Guysborough Counties Shop south of CB not in CB.There is relatively little disposable income in Cape Breton but the Ontario wave will probably wash up there eventually.The West part of the Island has been kept afloat by Golf.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2024, 5:29 PM

Many people doubted IKEA would return with a massive store, but it happened.

Costco in Bayers Lake is busting at the seams in-store and also in the parking lot even on weekdays.

If there is ever an emergency in Bayers Lake that requires evacuation, you'll be better off getting out of your car and running. Of course that goes for many parts of this city as we found out with the forest fires.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2024, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Many people doubted IKEA would return with a massive store, but it happened.

Costco in Bayers Lake is busting at the seams in-store and also in the parking lot even on weekdays.

If there is ever an emergency in Bayers Lake that requires evacuation, you'll be better off getting out of your car and running. Of course that goes for many parts of this city as we found out with the forest fires.
I find Dartmouth Crossing much easier to get in and out of than BL, I hate going to Bayers Lake.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2024, 11:37 PM

Washmill Lake drive underpass. The expensive work has long been done. The cost of even to exiting ramps for leaving Bayer's Lake wouldn't cost much but the effect would be enormous and likely solve most of Bayer's lakes woes.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2024, 4:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musquodoboit County View Post
Washmill Lake drive underpass. The expensive work has long been done. The cost of even to exiting ramps for leaving Bayer's Lake wouldn't cost much but the effect would be enormous and likely solve most of Bayer's lakes woes.
A look on Google satellite view appears that there has been easement reserved for just such a purpose. Just speculation, though.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2024, 5:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
I find Dartmouth Crossing much easier to get in and out of than BL, I hate going to Bayers Lake.
Agreed. I try to stay away from BL during rush hour or on weekends. It's not too crazy during off hours, but always busy nonetheless.

For me, DC is generally easier to get around, though getting to it can be a little dicey, i.e. through Burnside, and the confusing interchange with the 118 leaves a little to be desired - I've seen it backed up coming out of DC heading towards the 111 at times.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2024, 4:30 PM

Regional Council is being asked next week to initiate a Comprehensive Neighbourhood Planning Process for the remainder of Bedford Commons. BANC Group is currently asking for ~6200 units on 123 acres of land with buildings up to 33 stories.

Regarding the Costco rumour I doubt it will happen. There is a possibility of it fitting into the one large commercial property left. There is no mention of what will happen to the remainder of the Canadian Tire block when Damascus and Verdi meet again to the south.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2024, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
Regarding the Costco rumour I doubt it will happen. There is a possibility of it fitting into the one large commercial property left. There is no mention of what will happen to the remainder of the Canadian Tire block when Damascus and Verdi meet again to the south.
Was there not a proposal to build a new, larger Costco in Bayers Lake including a gas bar? Not sure if that was a serious proposal or just idle speculation.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2024, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire75 View Post
I also heard the same rumor from Reddit. The comment was: "I have a family member who's been working at the Halifax location since it opened and over Christmas he mentioned they are talking a third location in HRM as both locations were clearing over a million and a half bucks a day in sales in December."

I'm doubtful this will ever happen, but it would be a good location with the new highway soon to be completed there.
It would also be within 10km of the current one in Dartmouth crossing (along new 107) and under 15km away from Bayers Lake location. I have no insight to Costco's standards but as much as Id like one beside Sackville it seems more logical to put further out the 101 past Sackville(s) or closer to Truro up the 102.

Happy to be proven wrong!

Old Posted Feb 2, 2024, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Regional Council is being asked next week to initiate a Comprehensive Neighbourhood Planning Process for the remainder of Bedford Commons. BANC Group is currently asking for ~6200 units on 123 acres of land with buildings up to 33 stories.

The new turf fields are desperately needed. Hope they come to fruition.
Thanks for the update, I was looking last night for one!

Old Posted Feb 3, 2024, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Matthews View Post
It would also be within 10km of the current one in Dartmouth crossing (along new 107) and under 15km away from Bayers Lake location. I have no insight to Costco's standards but as much as Id like one beside Sackville it seems more logical to put further out the 101 past Sackville(s) or closer to Truro up the 102.

Happy to be proven wrong!
I do not know how Costco management determines location decisions either but I suspect proximity to existing stores matters very little if their sales and customer counts are near or beyond whatever metrics they use to measure market potential. I am not a member of Costco and a big part of the reason is that I hate crowds. The zoo I see in both locations very often makes me want to stay away.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2024, 6:09 PM

Quote:

Wow that's a huge development!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs