HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Aug 3, 2020, 3:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0214685226 View Post
I think that greater Phoenix, "The Valley" (I don't like that term) has matured to the point that anything within the Loop 101 has become inner or first ring suburbs. Because Phoenix is such a new city that blossomed in the post WW2 era, there aren't really too many first ring suburbs in the traditional sense. I'd like to see infill within the 101 with some added height. IMO, this is a pretty cool development with all things considered, especially being adjacent to a freeway.

"Within The 101" is becoming the equivalent of "Within the Perimeter" in Atlanta, or "Inside the Beltway" in DC or "Within Route 128" in Boston.
I dunno - we don't have ring suburbs really - many because the cities here are very large land wise. Take Peoria - its both inside and outside the L101 and the L303 - so how is it classified? Glendale and Scottsdale too...

I get that the area of Peoria between L101 and L303 developed at different times and thus have different characteristics - but move ahead another 20 years and you may not see the difference as developments like this emerge along L303.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2020, 5:58 PM

Not our normal focus but this is an absolutely massive development.

Merit Partners buys land for $1.5 billion Glendale industrial park

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...l-project.html

Quote:
A Phoenix-based developer instrumental in the Red Bull and White Claw facilities being built in the West Valley has closed on a 614-acre parcel of land in Glendale that will be the site of a $1.5 billion logistics park development.

The parcel at the southwest corner of Bethany Home Road and Loop 303 is part of the 864-acre Allen Ranches property and sold for $70.5 million. The industrial portion of the development will be called Camelback 303.

“We are extremely excited to be building at this location and at a point in the cycle where demand for Class A industrial is exponential — and expected to continue to rise in the years ahead,” Merit Partners President Kevin Czerwinski said in a statement. “Camelback 303 is the natural extension of the market success we’ve already experienced at our adjacent industrial park, PV 303. Camelback 303 allows us to continue that momentum.”

The project will be developed as a joint venture by Merit Partners, First Industrial Realty Trust Inc. and Diamond Realty Investments.

“The Loop 303 corridor continues to grow in strength and prominence as a preferred logistics home for a range of businesses in the Phoenix region,” Johannson Yap, chief investment officer for First Industrial Realty Trust said in a statement. “We are excited to expand our investment in the region and serve the needs of customers through this multi-year development opportunity with our valued partners.”

The project includes a large swath of land that had previously been void of any infrastructure, so those involved with the deal said it will be a major change for the city.

“The Allen family has held that for over 70 years,” Jason Morris, partner at Withey Morris, who handled the rezoning and annexation case for both the industrial and residential portions of Allen Ranches, said.

“Allen Ranches, with its unmatched land area, strategic location, and unique mix of uses, is positioned to become a major economic engine for the city of Glendale,” Morris wrote in his zoning and annexation case to the city.

Morris said the overall case, which includes another 250 acres for residential development, was “challenging because of the industrial portion” due to neighborhood concerns about truck traffic and noise.

The large annexation and development case is indicative of the growth happening in the West Valley, he said.

“This is a very large piece of the puzzle for Glendale’s efforts along the 303,” Morris said, adding that the city is working to protect uses around Luke Air Force Base and add employment to the corridor. “The single most important driver of that area has been the maturation of the Loop 303. Industrial users are really thriving, even before the pandemic.”

Morris said there has already been a lot of interest in the property from different potential users and said the project will accommodate large-scale build-to-suit and speculative developments. Development projects could be expected in the next year or so, Morris said.

The parcel has been in the planning stages since 2016, Morris, who has been working on the project for the past year and a half, said, and was originally entitled as unincorporated Maricopa County land.

There was some concern about the city annexing the large parcel, said Morris, who also said cities looking at annexations need to look at the economics of the deal if they assume the burden of incorporating the property.

“It has to pencil out,” he said.

Anthony Lydon, Marc Hertzberg and Riley Gilbert, of JLL brokered the 611-acre land purchase on behalf of the development team.

“The e-commerce industry alone has grown by 35 percent this year, compared to just 14 and 15% in recent years,” Lydon said in a statement. “Sustaining this kind of consumer demand requires a massive uptick in logistical support from projects just like Camelback 303. The delivery of shovel-ready corporates sites is timely.”

More land annexed
The seller of the property was Allen Ranches LLC, which was represented by Nate Nathan and Courtney Buck of Scottsdale-based Nathan & Associates Inc., who declined to comment on the deal.

The seller also is escrow to sell 250 acres of Allen Ranches to a homebuilder.

Over the past six months, Glendale has annexed about 2,000 acres of land into the city, Lori German, a city spokeswoman said, which represents about 5% growth in the city’s footprint. The city council provided direction to allow such large annexations about two years ago, and the city is hoping to build on the momentum the city of Goodyear created on the other side of Loop 303.

German said the city has seen increased interest from companies looking to develop in the West Valley, and said it has attracted all kinds of sectors, including manufacturing facilities for Red Bull, White Claw and others, as well as luxury car dealerships and different industries.

“Glendale’s ‘New Frontier,’ located on the Loop 303 corridor, is quickly becoming the backbone in Arizona’s industrial market and we are thrilled to welcome Camelback 303 into this area,” Glendale Mayor Jerry P. Weiers said in a statement. “The addition of this development is another example of Glendale’s commitment to growth. Merit Partners has successfully completed several projects in Glendale and this new deal is a true testament to the importance of relationships in bringing more jobs and state-of-the-art facilities to the West Valley.”

According to JLL research, the Loop 303 corridor is projected to grow from a 15 million-square-foot industrial submarket to more than 50 million square feet of industrial space within the next five to six years.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2020, 2:54 AM

If Tampa can’t have a full event Super Bowl this year, I think each Super Bowl may get delayed a year

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 3:25 PM

https://azbigmedia.com/business/crys...9KCTFQaV77yauk

Pie in the Sky?

Both the E. And W. Valley get proposals for entertainment hubs in the same week, interesting.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 1:39 AM
Skyriser

I hate using the word "staycation" but that's something I could see being very popular in Phoenix, especially during summer. I wouldn't mind a stay.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 2:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
Pie in the Sky?
I think they have 7 or 8 in the United States and more in planning, not to mention numerous international lagoons and I know they have been eyeing Arizona for awhile. I think this is a very real proposal and will indeed be built, however, that timeline is really aggressive.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 7:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyAZ View Post
I think they have 7 or 8 in the United States and more in planning, not to mention numerous international lagoons and I know they have been eyeing Arizona for awhile. I think this is a very real proposal and will indeed be built, however, that timeline is really aggressive.
Prob trying to get done before Super Bowl. At least partially.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2020, 7:14 PM

Amazon Delivery Station - Surprise

Sounds like there are more of these due to arrive - I happened to be in Surprise yesterday and noticed this giant building going up. Turns out its an Amazon Delivery Station (i.e. sorting station) - and more are planned for throughout the valley...

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...-surprise.html

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 5:32 PM

Developer buys land for massive Glendale lagoon water park, entertainment venue

Crystal Lagoon continues to make progress...this one looks like it's real?

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...n-project.html
Quote:
A developer planning to build a swimming lagoon and entertainment destination in Glendale closed on the land for the project Friday, paying $27 million for the parcel near 95th Avenue and Cardinals Way.

As part of the deal with the city, the project will be developed in a single phase and is expected to be operational by October 2022, ahead of when the city will host the Super Bowl in early 2023.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2021, 11:12 PM
Modulator

Crystal Lagoons Theme Park broke ground over by Westgate. Plans include a separate Mattel Theme Park with a roller coaster. Opening is being pushed in time for Super bowl LVII.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...rk/7594343002/

Edit:
More with some renderings: https://www.abc15.com/entertainment/...-karts-planned

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 12:00 AM
Modulator

Website for Crystal Lagoons is also up with a nice virtual video tour. There will be an "aero bar" 130' up as well. Will be a good place to get a drink and have some nice unobstructed views.

https://www.crystallagoonsislandresort.com/

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 1:09 AM

Wow, Crystal Lagoons looks very promising and exciting. Kinda bummed that there's only one coaster, I hope it's decent and that they bought extra land with intension to expand at some point. I still find it so weird that we don't have a proper dry park here a la Six Flags, Cedar Fair or Busch Gardens but with Six Flags having a Hurricane Harbor and Crystal Lagoons coming into play, maybe they'll look into a dry park.

Also exciting to know that the mega theme park down in Casa Grande is not dead, but delayed, so having that as a potential still is also exciting. We seem to really be stepping it up with all of the entertainment stuff in the pipeline for the next couple of years.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 1:22 AM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiesthelimit View Post
Wow, Crystal Lagoons looks very promising and exciting. Kinda bummed that there's only one coaster, I hope it's decent and that they bought extra land with intension to expand at some point. I still find it so weird that we don't have a proper dry park here a la Six Flags, Cedar Fair or Busch Gardens but with Six Flags having a Hurricane Harbor and Crystal Lagoons coming into play, maybe they'll look into a dry park.

Also exciting to know that the mega theme park down in Casa Grande is not dead, but delayed, so having that as a potential still is also exciting. We seem to really be stepping it up with all of the entertainment stuff in the pipeline for the next couple of years.
Looks like there's a pretty good size swath of undeveloped land available, but I'm not sure how much of it they've purchased for the development. If I were a betting man, I would bet that Mattel would like to join the big leagues with a theme park of their own. If the land is available, I could see there being expansions down the road. This may be a tester to see what kind of demand there is.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/N+...4d-112.2637469

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 1:51 AM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiesthelimit View Post

There have been so many theme parks proposed for Casa Grande I can't remember which one this is?

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 3:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
Looks like there's a pretty good size swath of undeveloped land available, but I'm not sure how much of it they've purchased for the development. If I were a betting man, I would bet that Mattel would like to join the big leagues with a theme park of their own. If the land is available, I could see there being expansions down the road. This may be a tester to see what kind of demand there is.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/N+...4d-112.2637469
I noticed the land as well but it also seems like a lot of the undeveloped landing is going towards housing in the area, which could lead them into a Disneyland type situation should they seek to expand in the future. I'm curious if they'll be doing a parking garage or a sea of parking but the park itself looks solid. I'm also thinking this is a tester as I believe Mattel owns Barbie and I did not see any mention of Barbie in the article or renderings. A Barbieland of sorts would make sense for a major expansion as it's a huge IP to not bank out on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
There have been so many theme parks proposed for Casa Grande I can't remember which one this is?
According to the second article posted by Crested, Dreamport Villages in Casa Grande announced in 2016 is still a go, but "delayed due to the pandemic." Even though we haven't heard anything since like 2018 maybe 2019 to my knowledge lol. If it does break ground in its full form, and operated correctly, it could potentially be a Disneyland rival from the sounds of it. I'll believe it when I see it.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 4:53 PM

Some ifs for a successful Disneyland Type Park

To have a successful Disneyland Type Park it would be FANtastic to see two things happen. 1. Widen the I-17 North to 4-5 lanes in each direction from north of Anthem to AZ69. 2. Build the Park near the !-17- AZ69 intersection. This would make the place comfortable 10 months of the year and semi- habitable the other 2.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 6:16 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixwillrise View Post
To have a successful Disneyland Type Park it would be FANtastic to see two things happen. 1. Widen the I-17 North to 4-5 lanes in each direction from north of Anthem to AZ69. 2. Build the Park near the !-17- AZ69 intersection. This would make the place comfortable 10 months of the year and semi- habitable the other 2.
That sounds like the anti-Arcosanti, the exact opposite of the never-complete project already located near Cordes Junction. Not being a Paolo Soleri fan, I'd be fine with a theme park right next to the inchoate dysoptia he started, although there's no way I'd support such massive highway widening.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixwillrise View Post
17 needed to be 4-5 lanes each way 20 years ago…

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 8:02 PM

The billions of dollars it would take to build a road that large could be used far better.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
Crystal Lagoons Theme Park broke ground over by Westgate. Plans include a separate Mattel Theme Park with a roller coaster. Opening is being pushed in time for Super bowl LVII.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...rk/7594343002/

Edit:
More with some renderings: https://www.abc15.com/entertainment/...-karts-planned
Wow! Sounds good to me! Hope we can go there. You can forget Disneyland! Forget about Disney.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest