HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Aug 9, 2009, 1:50 PM

TSN reporting 40,000 for Crosby parade. Not only do they need someone from Toronto to tell them they can support a CFL team, but also how to count.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2009, 1:52 AM

Ha Ha, since when did TSN discover that Canada extends east of Ontario. I think I'll take the Herald's estimate over TSN anyday.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2009, 9:11 PM
Closed account

account deleted

Last edited by brettinhalifax; Mar 8, 2011 at 4:26 AM. Reason: account deleted

Old Posted Aug 12, 2009, 8:43 AM
The New Republic

Awesome. I really like that Akron stadium as well. Sunken bowls with banked end zones are great. Do you know what it's called?

Old Posted Aug 12, 2009, 8:54 AM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
Ha Ha, since when did TSN discover that Canada extends east of Ontario. I think I'll take the Herald's estimate over TSN anyday.
when they opened up RDS to broadcast games in Quebecois...

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2009, 9:28 AM
The New Republic

TSN won't ever acknowledge that Atlantic Canada exists until they get a CFL team or till Saint Mary's University gets a bigger stadium.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2009, 3:05 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
TSN won't ever acknowledge that Atlantic Canada exists until they get a CFL team or till Saint Mary's University gets a bigger stadium.
Right or wrong ... sports is a big business .. and when it comes to football, you are probably right, TSN won't give much attention to Atlantic Canada. Once this region can properly house a professional football team it will get the level of respect it deserves.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2009, 3:07 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettinhalifax View Post
I stumbled on this stadium being built in Akron, Ohio for $60 million. It looks nicer than half the current CFL stadiums

Rendering:

25,000 seats and it looks to me like it would fit the bill for a CFL team, Sid the Kid's annual Stanley Cup gatherings and regular Paul McCartney concerts.
That would do very nicely ... and would draw a CFL expansion team before it was completed.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2009, 5:18 AM
The New Republic

Would someone please post some stadium pics.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2009, 11:01 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

re: pics of new Moncton track & field stadium........

This picture is about one month old. The smaller eastern set of stands is complete except for seat installation. There is still much work to be done on the larger western stadium section. The specifications again are 10,000 permanent seats with an additional 10,000 temporary bleachers for the track & field championships.

The infield has been done for months. They are working on the actual track itself.........very exacting work as it has to be of world class standard (it is after all a world championship facility).

Work is also progressing on new parking lots adjacent to the stadium.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2009, 9:19 AM
The New Republic

So the east and west stands together add up to 10,000 permanent seats? The 10,000 additional bleacher seats will be adjacent to these stands and wrap around the end zones? That smaller east stand looks bigger than 4,000 seats, but I suppose it looks that way because the seats haven't been installed yet. It's a little deceptive.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2009, 11:28 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

From CBC

Moncton finalizing deal for 5 CFL games
Last Updated: Thursday, September 3, 2009 | 6:10 AM
CBC News

Moncton is in negotiations with the Canadian Football League to bring a regular season game to the city annually for the next five years.

The idea of bringing a CFL team to Moncton has been kicked around for years and that debate only intensified when the Université de Moncton announced plans to build a large, new stadium.

While locating a franchise in southeastern New Brunswick may still be a long way off, Moncton Mayor George LeBlanc said hosting an annual CFL game could be a reality as early as next fall.

"I'm very pleased to see this coming forward and we anticipate a five-year agreement where we will have at least one regular season game right here in Moncton for each of the next five years," LeBlanc said.

"And it's a great opportunity for the city and an opportunity to assess the market and see whether we can move forward from there."

A spokesperson for Mark Cohon, the commissioner of the CFL, confirmed the two sides are trying to work out a deal.

The CFL is looking for government funding to help offset the cost of bringing the games to Moncton.

The idea of Moncton hosting an annual football game started gaining momentum last November when Cohon raised the idea during his annual state-of-the-league address in Montreal.

Cohon said in that speech that the main obstacle to Maritime expansion is the lack of a stadium with a minimum seating capacity of 20,000.

However, Cohon said the CFL will look into staging 2010 regular-season games in Moncton at the university's new stadium that could see its seating expanded up to 20,000.

Game to attract fans across Maritimes
Mark Crandall, the chief executive officer of the Riverview Mustangs, which plays in the Maritime Football League, said the Moncton game will not just attract gridiron fans from New Brunswick but also from across Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island.

"One game will be easily supported by greater Moncton and surrounding communities," he said.

"You've got Halifax that will definitely come up for a game. You've got the Fredericton area that'll come down for the game. But I mean greater Moncton alone, just a CFL game in Moncton alone, will be packed."

Old Posted Sep 17, 2009, 7:03 AM

one game per year attendance doesn't show enough support for an investor to spend 8 million per year. That requires a sell out for every game to break even.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2009, 7:08 AM

form a booster club, get season ticket pledges 15,000 @ 450.00 each then an investor may look at you

Old Posted Sep 18, 2009, 2:07 AM

Exclamation

While checking out a little information that crossed my desk I found out that someone has inquired about a new form of DOME Stadium that can be build to accommodate the need for a new CFL franchise and the price is well inside a manageable figure. And it has to do with Halifax

So things can become interesting. I'll keep you up to date.

Last edited by CFL-EXPANDER; Sep 18, 2009 at 2:22 AM. Reason: pictures never imprinted

Old Posted Sep 18, 2009, 3:17 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

If you want to post a picture, you first have to upload it to a photo hosting site like Flickr, then copy the URL of the photo to your post here, enclosing the URL with [img] and [/img].

BTW, welcome CFLExpander, are you a Maritimer?

Old Posted Sep 18, 2009, 2:56 PM

Thumbs up No More Pie In The Sky

: MonctonRad, only by heart. Grandparents were.

Thanks for the advice, computer work I leave to others. I can confirm to you that the CFL will be in the Maritime and by 2012 if several little things fall into place. Alot of things have been going on and an announcement maybe made during Grey Cup and at the end of the season to keep the hype going during the off season.

Promotion, promotion

Head coach how about ?????, GM ??????, Director of Player Personal ??????

Check out this site, a small clue about what is happening in it
http://www.monolithic.com/stories/mo...-a-big-brother

Start a grass root booster club

Last edited by CFL-EXPANDER; Sep 21, 2009 at 3:53 AM. Reason: spell check needed, to use of text messaging

Old Posted Sep 19, 2009, 1:58 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

I am intrigued by what this "announcement" during the Grey Cup could be.......

There are final negotiations going on between the CFL, the city of Moncton and the province of NB for regular season games to be staged at our new stadium over the next five years. Perhaps your "announcement" simply pertains to this........

The link you provided in your post intimated that there is a new 50,000 seat stadium to be built "somewhere" in Canada. I don't imagine either Moncton or Halifax would be asking for an RFP on anything near that size. Something in the 25-30,000 seat range would be more appropriate for our population base. Perhaps this proposed stadium is for Ottawa or Quebec City?

Old Posted Sep 19, 2009, 5:30 PM
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

I am intrigued by what this "announcement" during the Grey Cup could be.......

There are final negotiations going on between the CFL, the city of Moncton and the province of NB for regular season games to be staged at our new stadium over the next five years. Perhaps your "announcement" simply pertains to this........

The link you provided in your post intimated that there is a new 50,000 seat stadium to be built "somewhere" in Canada. I don't imagine either Moncton or Halifax would be asking for an RFP on anything near that size. Something in the 25-30,000 seat range would be more appropriate for our population base. Perhaps this proposed stadium is for Ottawa or Quebec City?
Well, the stadium for Halifax's failed commonwealth games bid was to be expandable to 50,000. It is possible I guess.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2009, 3:41 AM

Actually they were asked to provide specs for a dome from 35,000 to 50,000
and a decision would be based on the cost. What I am lead to believe is that the construction cost of this stadium was from private funds only!
This design and structure is 3X cheaper then regular cost of present similar designs. The government is going to be asked to cover the cost of the infrastructure needed, which it can recover by a ticket tax on all events held there. Concerts, trade shows, other sporting events ect......
Something that I believe will be studied. As far as I know the Mayor has received an informal email to this fact. I'll tell you it is neat catching bits and pieces.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces