HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Feb 12, 2024, 4:03 PM

^Agreed, I wonder how much does pertain to West Harbour, as the station already has some of these elements

Old Posted Feb 12, 2024, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamiltonPlanning View Post
^Agreed, I wonder how much does pertain to West Harbour, as the station already has some of these elements
I'm guessing this is mostly for the Hunter Station. All of those things would make sense for Hunter not West Harbour. As Hunter basically has none of that.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2024, 4:26 PM

They've been putting up new lights for the past month or two.

Don't mind the canopy, maybe paint it, but they definitely could improve the main centre and platforms.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2024, 4:39 PM

Would be much nicer if it was glass, allow in some natural light. A smarter design that doesn't allow areas for pigeons to nest would also be smart. The bus station is dark, dirty and smelly. There's a lot they could do to improve it. Some form of security would also be a good idea, like gates you can't pass unless you have a presto or something. If you've ever caught the early 41 Bus out of there to pearson airport, like 4AM. You'll know that place becomes full of dangerous junkies at that time...

I wish I could find the submitted proposals. Not really sure where to look though. Maybe someone knows more.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2024, 6:00 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHonestMaple View Post
Would be much nicer if it was glass, allow in some natural light. A smarter design that doesn't allow areas for pigeons to nest would also be smart. The bus station is dark, dirty and smelly. There's a lot they could do to improve it. Some form of security would also be a good idea, like gates you can't pass unless you have a presto or something. If you've ever caught the early 41 Bus out of there to pearson airport, like 4AM. You'll know that place becomes full of dangerous junkies at that time...

I wish I could find the submitted proposals. Not really sure where to look though. Maybe someone knows more.
I think it would be hard to close it off without disrupting bus access to their platforms.

The stairs to the train platform can be an "interesting" experience early in the morning. For a while I was walking to this station from where I used to live, to catch one of the trains to Toronto. While there was nobody in the stairwell, it was clear someone had spent time there through the night.

The interior of the station is looking tired and needs some work. I don't think much (or anything) has been done since the mid-1990s.

I really hope GO Transit keeps at least those peak period trains downtown. It's really too bad the station isn't on or proximate to the CN main line, because I think it would be the better candidate for two-way all-day service. But it's nice to have two stations, and with all the growth planned for the north-side of downtown and waterfront, the West Harbour station should be very successful in serving riders.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2024, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
I think it would be hard to close it off without disrupting bus access to their platforms.

The stairs to the train platform can be an "interesting" experience early in the morning. For a while I was walking to this station from where I used to live, to catch one of the trains to Toronto. While there was nobody in the stairwell, it was clear someone had spent time there through the night.

The interior of the station is looking tired and needs some work. I don't think much (or anything) has been done since the mid-1990s.

I really hope GO Transit keeps at least those peak period trains downtown. It's really too bad the station isn't on or proximate to the CN main line, because I think it would be the better candidate for two-way all-day service. But it's nice to have two stations, and with all the growth planned for the north-side of downtown and waterfront, the West Harbour station should be very successful in serving riders.
I never understood why they didn't just widen the Hunter Street tunnel to allow two tracks, instead of spending millions on the West Harbour Station.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2024, 6:22 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
I never understood why they didn't just widen the Hunter Street tunnel to allow two tracks, instead of spending millions on the West Harbour Station.
One reason was apartment building foundations built right up to the tunnel walls that could be disturbed.

Today it's probably mainly the lack of an eastern connection to CN's main tracks, that were chosen to run service into Niagara. Years ago there were consultation sessions about which corridor would be best. CN's subdivisions went through more of the populated areas and had more double-track. CP's would have run through the centre of the Niagara Peninsula, but missed St. Catharines and Niagara Falls.

But CP probably wouldn't have liked additional public transit on its rails through Hamilton. GO has had a hell of a time trying to improve service on the Milton line, which belongs to CP.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2024, 6:30 PM

Quote:
The Hunter St Tunnel is too small to fit two tracks with modern train clear heights required from my understanding.

Longer term, I could see GO looking to extend 15-minute electrified service into Hamilton from Burlington GO where it is currently scheduled to end, and doing that through an upgraded Hunter St. tunnel to allow for a dedicated GO track through the tunnel. That won't be a for a while though, and it would be expensive as they would basically have to close Hunter St for a couple of years to completely demolish and rebuild the tunnel so that it can properly fit 2 tracks, probably costing a few hundred million.

What we want to look forward to in the short term is 30-minute service to West Harbour, which is about as good as we can expect for now. Ideally a bit further down the road Metrolinx can look at upgrading services to Hunter GO, but that'll be more expensive. Metrolinx focused expansion to West Harbour as it was far cheaper than rebuilding the Hunter St tunnel.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2024, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
The Hunter St Tunnel is too small to fit two tracks with modern train clear heights required from my understanding.

Longer term, I could see GO looking to extend 15-minute electrified service into Hamilton from Burlington GO where it is currently scheduled to end, and doing that through an upgraded Hunter St. tunnel to allow for a dedicated GO track through the tunnel. That won't be a for a while though, and it would be expensive as they would basically have to close Hunter St for a couple of years to completely demolish and rebuild the tunnel so that it can properly fit 2 tracks, probably costing a few hundred million.

What we want to look forward to in the short term is 30-minute service to West Harbour, which is about as good as we can expect for now. Ideally a bit further down the road Metrolinx can look at upgrading services to Hunter GO, but that'll be more expensive. Metrolinx focused expansion to West Harbour as it was far cheaper than rebuilding the Hunter St tunnel.
That's what i'm saying. Why they didn't just spend money to widen the tunnel, instead of building a brand new station at West Harbour.

Also, most people probably don't know this, but the tracks were already lowered through the Hunter Street corridor in 1995 to accomodate double decker GO trains, they should have widended it at that time.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2024, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post

It's too bad Hunter doesn't have all day because it's more central and based on my experiences taking the train from both at peak times, Hunter is way busier than WH.

Too bad CP and Metrolinx don't play nice though. I'd even be happy if they had one train each day on the weekend.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2024, 8:02 PM
It's a nickname from work

I hope they don't change the interior, or the station building at all, really. As I understand it, both are original to the building, and as it's extremely rare in style and age it should be preserved as much as possible. That said, the recent additions - the plaza out front and the bus facilities at back - could certainly do with more than a lick of paint. A new canopy could go over well.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2024, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShavedParmesanCheese View Post
I hope they don't change the interior, or the station building at all, really. As I understand it, both are original to the building, and as it's extremely rare in style and age it should be preserved as much as possible. That said, the recent additions - the plaza out front and the bus facilities at back - could certainly do with more than a lick of paint. A new canopy could go over well.
The interior of the station was last renovated I think in 1995. Here's a pic during that work.

Agreed, the bus terminal is in desperate need of a renewal. I posted over in the Metrolinx Urban toronto thread, hopefully someone can share the RFP.

Apparently this is going to be a significant upgrade, with a value between 20 and 200 million dollars. Wow!

Last edited by TheHonestMaple; Feb 12, 2024 at 8:40 PM.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2024, 6:44 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
That's what i'm saying. Why they didn't just spend money to widen the tunnel, instead of building a brand new station at West Harbour.
Engineering challenges (and therefore, cost) and CP. I think those are the big reasons.

In my "perfect world" of transportation planning, all GO train services would run through downtown and there would be a connecting link between the CP line and CN's Grimsby Subdivision in east Hamilton (perhaps running up the Red Hill Valley, which has been sullied anyway by the parkway).

Old Posted Feb 14, 2024, 6:48 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShavedParmesanCheese View Post

Old Posted Feb 14, 2024, 8:08 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Also, most people probably don't know this, but the tracks were already lowered through the Hunter Street corridor in 1995 to accomodate double decker GO trains, they should have widended it at that time.
CP would not have complained if it gave them the ability to run double-stacks and tall automobile cars. Which it seems they have.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure