HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

PENN 15 in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Sep 11, 2021, 3:17 PM

It sticks out like a sore thumb. But we'll have to get used to it, because they have no sense or architectural style at Vornado to be okay with this. I'm sorry, it just looks out of place and I'm not going to fall in line to love it. As I said though, I'll have to get used to it.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2021, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citybooster View Post
It sticks out like a sore thumb. But we'll have to get used to it, because they have no sense or architectural style at Vornado to be okay with this. I'm sorry, it just looks out of place and I'm not going to fall in line to love it. As I said though, I'll have to get used to it.
Hopefully the rest of the Empire District gets built out around the same time as this or shortly thereafter. It might get lost among the trees a little. I dread what the northern face of this thing is going to look like.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2021, 5:43 PM
New Yorker for life

^ This is the way office towers have been headed for a while. So I wouldn’t expect that it will eventually be surrounded by a bunch of towers that could resemble 20, or even 10 years ago.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2021, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildThemTaller View Post
Hopefully the rest of the Empire District gets built out around the same time as this or shortly thereafter. It might get lost among the trees a little. I dread what the northern face of this thing is going to look like.
I really dont think Norm will have the entire northern face blank, it will probably dressed up and glazed. If you look at 425, and 350 those feature the offset cores but they are both lot lining so that makes sense when coming up with a design. since the north face on 15 Penn isnt lot lining, i think it will be nicer.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2021, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK1985 View Post
I really dont think Norm will have the entire northern face blank, it will probably dressed up and glazed. If you look at 425, and 350 those feature the offset cores but they are both lot lining so that makes sense when coming up with a design. since the north face on 15 Penn isnt lot lining, i think it will be nicer.
Hopefully. On the other hand, they have released a ton of renders of this thing without ever giving a good look at that vantage. You'd figure they would want to highlight the view looking downtown in some of those renders. They don't.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2021, 2:46 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildThemTaller View Post
Hopefully. On the other hand, they have released a ton of renders of this thing without ever giving a good look at that vantage. You'd figure they would want to highlight the view looking downtown in some of those renders. They don't.
Those renderings are primarily to attract tenants to the office space, so that’s the view that’s focused on. No on cares about the elevator core only up to the point that it affects the floor space. Had this tower been going through some sort of approval, you would have seen all sides.

As far as the view Downtown, it’l be nice, but they’re also selling the Midtown location.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2021, 1:26 PM
BANNED

It’s time for lf Amazon to step up to the plate.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/09/21/goog...rchterm=google

Google plans to buy New York office building for $2.1 billion
PUBLISHED TUE, SEP 21 20218:52 AM EDT
Lauren Feiner
@LAUREN_FEINER

KEY POINTS
Google plans to buy a New York City office building for $2.1 billion, the company announced Tuesday.
The company previously announced it would invest $250 million in New York City this year.
Google plans to open the St. John’s Terminal site at 550 Washington Street by mid-2023.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2021, 1:38 AM

^^^Oh, that would be incredible. Preferably with a massive, brightly illuminated Amazon sign at the top facing in the direction of Long Island City.

(Kidding about the sign that would be tacky. But yes, I would love for Amazon to anchor this tower.)

Old Posted Sep 22, 2021, 3:16 AM
New Yorker for life

Demolition beginning to heat up....

http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/Jo...ssdocnumber=02

Quote:
06/28/2021

ARCHITECTRUAL WORK ASSOCIATED WITH THE REMOVAL OF THE MARQUEE AND NON-STRUCTUR AL DECORATIVE COLONADE AS INDICATED ON DRAWINGS.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2021, 2:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Those renderings are primarily to attract tenants to the office space, so that’s the view that’s focused on. No on cares about the elevator core only up to the point that it affects the floor space. Had this tower been going through some sort of approval, you would have seen all sides.

As far as the view Downtown, it’l be nice, but they’re also selling the Midtown location.
If that tower actually has glass elevators, it would be gorgeous, especially at night!

Old Posted Oct 12, 2021, 10:20 AM
BANNED

Bezos loves NY.

I see Amazon as the anchor tenant here.

https://pagesix.com/2021/10/11/amazo...164.1633281687

Jeff Bezos and Lauren Sanchez enjoy date night at play about capitalism
By Mara Siegler October 11, 2021 | 9:09pm

P.S.: Look who else was in the Greatest City in the World yesterday. NY is the playground for billionaires.

https://pagesix.com/2021/10/11/melin...164.1633281687

Melinda Gates arrives in NYC via helicopter wearing bevy of designer duds
By Eileen Reslen October 11, 2021 | 6:26pm

Last edited by JMKeynes; Oct 12, 2021 at 10:43 AM.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2021, 5:31 PM
New Yorker for life

^ I don’t understand what that has to do with this tower, or anything related to it.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2021, 5:36 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
^ I don’t understand what that has to do with this tower, or anything related to it.
I suspect that Amazon is going to be the anchor tenant. They are very focused on the Herald Sq area, and Bezos loves NY.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2021, 5:48 PM

It's fun to imagine what you could do with other peoples' money.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2021, 6:46 PM

Demolition at the Hotel Pennsylvania is imminent. I wonder if they're getting close to announcing an anchor tenant.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2021, 7:55 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Demolition at the Hotel Pennsylvania is imminent. I wonder if they're getting close to announcing an anchor tenant.
Demolition filings have begun. They probably won’t announce an anchor tenant for a while. But as the hotel is no longer in play (it’s what allowed Vornado to hold off on a decision), the site is prime development material. What’s more, with work underway on the transformation of 1 and 2 Penn Plaza, this is expected to come on the heels of that.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2021, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Nope... and I bet the lot will sit empty for years after demolishing of the classic facade, unfortunately.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2021, 2:49 AM

Knowing Roth's style (see UES + Boston) - he'll demolish a classic landmark and let it be a rat-infested hole for years and years. Probably till he croaks.

Last edited by NYer34; Oct 13, 2021 at 2:50 AM. Reason: Edited to make a more serious comment :)

Old Posted Oct 13, 2021, 3:15 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetscaper View Post
Nope... and I bet the lot will sit empty for years after demolishing of the classic facade, unfortunately.
Please.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2021, 3:38 AM
New Yorker for life

From the ESC thread….

https://www.amny.com/news/empire-sta...ochul-support/

Empire Station Complex proponents call on Hochul to charge ahead with plan, Hotel Pennsylvania’s demise

By Mark Hallum
October 12, 2021

Quote:
….. Despite up to two decades of activism to save the Hotel Pennsylvania, Hotel Trades Council AFL-CIO President Richard Maroko said in his statement that it’s time for the 100-year-old structure to make way for something new.

“The Hotel, which is part of the Project, is closed and we are informed that there are no plans to reopen it, meaning that its employees have little prospect for re-employment. However, we have negotiated an agreement with Vornado, the owner of the Hotel, which provides real opportunities for those employees should the Project proceed,” Maroko said.

“Under the agreement, Vornado will make significant payments to employees to help them during their period of unemployment and offer them jobs in the new hotels Vornado intends to develop in the Project, as well as offer preferential hire in other buildings owned by Vornado. Because of this agreement, the Union believes that the workers we represent from the Hotel are protected and that the Project will provide them additional opportunities.”
Quote:
Opponents to the demolition of the building at 401 7th Ave., which has 2,000 rooms, have appealed to the Landmark Preservation Commission. Efforts which have been met with rejection as the agency, created after the destruction of the original Penn Station, has deemed the hotel in its current condition as not in the best interest of the city.

….. Dan Biederman, president of the 34th Street Partnership, called for Hochul to move forward with few changes to General Project Plan in the interest of boosting the eventual rebound of the local economy for office workers who will benefit from having transit amenities so close new developments.

“This plan will transform the Penn District in a way that hasn’t been done for decades, by upgrading our mass transit system to ease congestion and boost circulation, improving pedestrian and vehicular flow, and providing a shot in the arm for private development to build new, more sustainable office buildings that will attract the world’s leading companies and talent,” Biederman said. “New York’s reputation must be rebuilt, and if we are going to continue as a global leader, we must demonstrate our capacity for innovation on sustainable infrastructure and economic recovery.”

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals