HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Old Posted Jun 25, 2021, 2:37 AM
Show me the blueprints

This is a weird one.

I re-read the news article that NYGuy posted this morning, and if you really read the language, it is NOT at all clear that they are talking about a 100% demolition. Here is a part that stood out:

Quote:
Calvary Baptist Church had once wholly owned the building, as well as the neighboring Salisbury Hotel at 123 West 57th Street, and has occupied the property for its ministry since the late 1800s. Calvary will retain ownership of, and occupy, the current space at the base of the property, which is in line to be redesigned, expanded and modernized as part of the redevelopment.
They keep referring to the "base of the property". The base of the property as something separate from the office tower developement. At first I thought they were just using that as a stand-in for the original building, but then it dawned on me that they may be proposing keeping the historic limestone base of the Calvary church building but removing everything above? And the language of "redesigned, expanded and modernized" is NOT the terminology you would use to explain new construction, its the terminology you would use to explain a renovation.

If accurate, this could be a real silver lining that lessens the sting of losing the remainder of the structure.

Thoughts?

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jun 25, 2021, 6:56 AM
New Yorker for life

When in doubt, always go with what the actual filings in the DOB say. People, and especially reporters can get outdated or not completely accurate information. Filings in the DOB have to show exact plans. However, that doesn’t mean those plans can’t change. But when they do, it’ll be reflected there. So we’ll see what exactly is being done when the demo permits are filed.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2021, 3:34 PM

This one truly saddens me if the demolition goes through. The existing church building has a truly unique NY historical charm. Shame! If they could keep the façade, remove the top ornamental tower, and design the modern portion with a pinnacle that emulates the previous (could be in modern materials), then that would be ideal IMO.
Hotel Salisbury - New York, New York by Cardboardamerica@gmail.com, on Flickr

Old Posted Jun 25, 2021, 8:50 PM
New Yorker for life

^ The tower at the top is the best part of the building. If they were gonna save the building, I think a Steinway styled addition would have worked best, a slim residential tower.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2021, 9:02 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.cbcnyc.org/news/developme...t-announcement

Development Project Announcement

Jun 15, 2021

Quote:
Calvary rejoices that the year-long delay in its real estate development project has ended, with the final signing of a development agreement with Alchemy-ABR Investment Partners and Cain International.

The work to dismantle the current building will begin immediately, and the architectural plans and major terms of the transaction remain unchanged. We thank God for His continued provisions and the faithful prayers of the saints.

A recent history of religion in New York City (God in Gotham) commented that "the theologically conservative Calvary Baptist Church plunged into Manhattan modernity," establishing its own radio station in 1923 and in 1931 constructing a sixteen-story church-and-hotel complex in Midtown. This next chapter in our history on 57th Street plunges us into “Manhattan modernity” once again with a new forward-looking facility, used to proclaim the unchanging message of Jesus Christ

Old Posted Jun 25, 2021, 9:08 PM
New Yorker for life

This is looking like part of the new facade…

https://mobile.twitter.com/CBC_NYC

Old Posted Jun 25, 2021, 9:32 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Jun 25, 2021, 10:33 PM
Show me the blueprints

The Nothing has come to sweep it all away...

_

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jun 25, 2021, 11:44 PM

looks very glassy. I predict a box like 250 west 55th.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2021, 1:43 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
looks very glassy. I predict a box like 250 west 55th.
I don’t think that it can be strictly a box because the developers keep referring to multiple outdoor terraces. I suspect that it will be a box but with cutouts on the sides.

You can see it in this “rendering.” Some of the floors on the east side seem to be double height. Perhaps they will be outdoor spaces.

Anyway, this seems that it will be very lame.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2021, 2:19 AM
New Yorker for life

^ Yes, that is the basic outline of the tower.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2021, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer34 View Post
This just sucks.

What an amazing piece of architecture and history we are losing.

New York loves its developers more than itself. And the developers treat New York like a two-bit hooker.
Isn't it ironic that, of all groups, its the Churches that are the first to worship at the Altar of Mammon by destroying their history for cash? I think the Catholic Church is one of the biggest real estate developers in New York. So much for "greed is bad, tradition is good."

Old Posted Jun 26, 2021, 7:39 PM
BANNED

It’s the Anglican Church. Queen Anne granted them an enormous amount of land in the very early 1700s.

https://ny.curbed.com/2018/8/22/1776...-hudson-square

Old Posted Jun 26, 2021, 8:35 PM

I don't understand, if this building is only 440 feet high, how they are going to market and position it as a Central Park views office building. At that height only the top couple of floors would have views right? If my memory serves me correctly, there are relatively large buildings in front of this. So even the top couple might be generous. Might only be the very top floor.

My hope is they have't fully revealed everything yet, and this tower will end up significantly higher. Hopefully it's another 111 W57th situation. That tower started out proposed as only 670 feet high, and we all know how it turned out.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2021, 12:49 PM
BANNED

Deleted

Old Posted Sep 28, 2021, 12:51 PM
BANNED

I wonder when a rendering will be released.

FXCollaborative rarely disappoints.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2021, 2:38 AM

Seems like a horrible trade-off. If this isn't a supertall, I'd rather keep the historic building.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2021, 2:52 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitopiaaa View Post
Seems like a horrible trade-off. If this isn't a supertall, I'd rather keep the historic building.
I agree, but this is a done deal. A small office building will rise here.

I don’t know how it will have park views either since the Hampshire House is about 440’ tall.

Last edited by JMKeynes; Sep 29, 2021 at 3:43 AM.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2021, 4:26 AM
BANNED

Old Posted Dec 11, 2021, 5:13 AM
BANNED

The NB application was approved this week, and the Zoning Diagram is now available. It's super-lame for this location. If it were on 3rd Ave and 28th St., for example, I'd be ok with it. In this location, however, it's a total waste. FXCollaborative doesn't really drop the ball, but in this instance, they committed a game-losing fumble in the end zone.

http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/BS...de=ES291633271

Last edited by JMKeynes; Dec 11, 2021 at 5:34 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction