HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Aug 23, 2021, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west-town-brad View Post
racism debates on the internet are my absolute fav
The only thing worse than the "racism is everywhere" crowd, is the "racism is nowhere" crowd. Both sides seem to be represented in this discussion.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2021, 10:28 PM

To Pilsenarch:
First off I don’t mean to attack you personally… I appreciate what you contribute to these forums.

However, what you originally said:
“It was all TOTALLY about racism... peeps need to wake up about the recent (only 200 and some odd years) history of this very young country...”

Doesn’t match what Halsted & Villagio said:
“Did ALL of them feel that way? No, I do not believe that. I am not nearly that cynical. Moreover, there is no clear, definitive evidence that the whole thing was driven by racism. On the other hand, based upon the evidence, I am quite comfortable in concluding that there was at least one rotten apple among the Plaintiffs… possibly more.”

Which is closer to what I said:
“I believe that those opposed to the Obama Center have varied reasons some more reasonable and valid than others.”

As for the Gang discussion I will move that to the St. Regis thread because to continue it further would be off topic here.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2021, 2:28 PM

Aug 19

Demo !

Plans

Upgrading the gas main.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2021, 3:09 PM

No one chaining themselves to trees in protest?

Old Posted Sep 8, 2021, 9:57 PM
Rust Belt Motherland

This area is looking totally different already.

From 59th and Stony Island

Looking NE from 60th towards MSI

Former connection between the eastbound Midway and Cornell

Looking SE from that same spot. The trees have been color coded. I believe only two will be saved. I don't believe this is one of them.

The Southern edge of the site. The comfort station is hidden in the back.

People's Gas is still out doing work.

The new track and field is finally coming together after this site being stagnant for years.

I found the Hyde Park Academy football team (I'm assuming) on the soccer fields South of Hayes/63rd.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2021, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

someone on the internet actually expressing a nuanced view on a contentious issue in 2021.

i thought critical thinking had been outlawed. don't you know that you're supposed to pick a side, turn your brain off, and then just knee-jerk your way through life?

who are you and how recently did you step out of your time machine?

Thank you my friend. A compliment like this coming from a man like you means a lot to me. Once we get more control over this pandemic, we (and maybe a few other forum members) have to get together one of these days and have a cold one and talk Chicago politics, architecture and business. And who knows, maybe we can even get prodigal son Marothisu to come back home and join us for that drink.

Last edited by Halsted & Villagio; Sep 9, 2021 at 12:55 AM.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2021, 4:20 AM

Old Posted Sep 28, 2021, 7:32 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Obamas break ground on presidential center, calling it way ‘to give back to Chicago and to the South Side’

https://chicago.suntimes.com/politic...ago-south-side

Old Posted Sep 28, 2021, 7:54 PM
TL;DR

I read that the fallen trees will be reused in various ways - milled into lumber for furniture or preserved in the park as benches, etc.
https://www.hpherald.com/evening_dig...23878975b.html

Given the tremendous volume of trees removed (326 trees for OPC, 39 for the new track/field and 417 for the roadway expansions), this can't be anything more than a token gesture. But it's still nice to see. I know MVVA likes to reuse trees where possible as park benches, sculpture, etc. They did some of that at Maggie Daley Park.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2021, 8:02 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I read that the fallen trees will be reused in various ways - milled into lumber for furniture or preserved in the park as benches, etc.
https://www.hpherald.com/evening_dig...23878975b.html

Given the tremendous volume of trees removed (326 trees for OPC, 39 for the new track/field and 417 for the roadway expansions), this can't be anything more than a token gesture. But it's still nice to see. I know MVVA likes to reuse trees where possible as park benches, sculpture, etc. They did some of that at Maggie Daley Park.
Aren't they supposed to replace the same number of trees that were removed? The renderings and models sure show a lot of them.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2021, 11:04 PM
Show me the blueprints

Something is better than nothing I suppose. I actually wouldn't underestimate the chance a hardwood lumber broker would be interested in most of the trees. If they've got good board feet potential and desirable species, that's actually a lot of lumber no matter where you're talking.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Sep 29, 2021, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
Aren't they supposed to replace the same number of trees that were removed? The renderings and models sure show a lot of them.
hopefully, but the replacement trees will not be 50 years old or whatever old age these being pulled out are

Old Posted Sep 29, 2021, 10:01 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Obamas break ground on presidential center, calling it way ‘to give back to Chicago and to the South Side’

https://chicago.suntimes.com/politic...ago-south-side
I think I just yacked a bit in my mouth. On the whole I think Obama was the best President during my life but this is an arrogant and gross statement worthy of Trump. He is having taxpayers needlessly pay 200million for road work because he needed his library in the middle of a park.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2021, 10:05 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by west-town-brad View Post
hopefully, but the replacement trees will not be 50 years old or whatever old age these being pulled out are
What's your point? Any new trees being planted won't grow anymore?

Old Posted Sep 30, 2021, 1:48 PM

Quote:
I've always thought the tree criticism was the weakest argument you could pick for opposing this project.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2021, 2:08 PM

Quote:
Nonsense.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2021, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Have you never been to one of those shadeless mcmansion wastelands commonly referred to as a newly developed subdivision? Cause if you have it's plainly obvious that mature trees add a lot of value to a space and the fact that the trees will be what you would like them to be 20 years from now isn't a real selling point.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2021, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw777 View Post
Have you never been to one of those shadeless mcmansion wastelands commonly referred to as a newly developed subdivision? Cause if you have it's plainly obvious that mature trees add a lot of value to a space and the fact that the trees will be what you would like them to be 20 years from now isn't a real selling point.
That’s the fault of the McMansion architecture and urban planning. Many of the world’s most beautiful neighborhoods have almost zero tree cover.

It’s the unused grass lawns and dead pedestrian streets that create those McMansion wastelands.

Cutting down mature trees is almost always a good trade if grass lawns and roads go with them. City trees don’t have the longest lifespans anyway, and they’ll grow back soon enough.

The real environmental travesty is when good farmland or actual habitat gets bulldozed for a subdivision.

https://stories.forbestravelguide.co...tMikeClegg.jpg

https://c8.alamy.com/comp/PFX1M2/bue...ext-PFX1M2.jpg

Last edited by Tom In Chicago; Sep 30, 2021 at 8:55 PM. Reason: Please use hyperlinks for off topic / unsourced images

Old Posted Sep 30, 2021, 3:32 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw777 View Post
This is really a stretch right here, trying to conflate mcmansion subdivisions with a park, where as mentioned before, the trees removed are planned to be replaced. Fine, it may take 20 years for many of them to mature, but as far as I know, this is a permanent structure, so it's not like the newly planted trees are going to be cut down again. I still don't understand why the trees are such a sticking point for some reason

Old Posted Sep 30, 2021, 3:38 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
I still don't understand why the trees are such a sticking point for some reason
i've never been opposed to the project in general because of the trees, but i do wonder if it was really necessary to clear cut the whole damn site into a moonscape.

i understand that a cleared site makes it MUCH easier from a construction standpoint, but still, wouldn't have been nicer if they could've found a way to save at least save some of those existing mature trees?

all water under the bridge at this point, obviously.....

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development