HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jul 29, 2022, 4:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil View Post
I want to say that Minneapolis, MN has a colder temp and Phoenix, AZ has a higher temp. Riyadh for one of the hottest. Has Moscow or Nizhny Novgorod been nominated for cold?
When you look at winter temperatures, Minneapolis is the coldest major American city. But it's summers are actually fairly warm, warmer than most of the West Coast, and Great Lakes cities, even a smidge warmer than Boston.

Moscow and Nizhny Novgorod have mild summers generally, equal to those of Winnipeg, but that's actually still warmer than half of Western Europe, and all of Britain and Northern Europe.

Riyadh is definitely up there but not quite the hottest.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2022, 4:11 AM

Basra is my pick for hottest if it makes the population cutoff. If not, then Kuwait City.

As for San Francisco, those chilly summers are a major appeal for me.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2022, 4:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil View Post
I want to say that Minneapolis, MN has a colder temp and Phoenix, AZ has a higher temp. Riyadh for one of the hottest. Has Moscow or Nizhny Novgorod been nominated for cold?
This is the current weather forecast for the city with the hottest summers. And this is not even unusual for this time of year. And it's not some unpopulated desert like Death Valley, but an urban area of 1.5 million people.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2022, 4:25 AM
你的媽媽

^ Which city is that?

Old Posted Jul 29, 2022, 5:21 AM

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/68970569.cms
Alexandria, Egypt

This set contains the first Egyptian city, as well as the first city in the American South (Richmond, VA).

Remaining Cities
Northern America: 29/62
Latin America: 44/94
Europe: 4/75
Africa: 54/92
West Asia: 39/54
Central & North Asia: 8/19
South Asia: 95/97
Southeast Asia: 39/42
East Asia: 108/155
Oceania: 0/6

Old Posted Jul 29, 2022, 5:38 AM

https://kun.uz/en/news/2019/01/07/th...ing-uzbekistan
Samarkand, Uzbekistan

This set contains the last Italian city - Palermo, Sicily, as well as the last of the Caucasus cities (Yerevan), and the last Korean city (Daegu). We're now beginning to enter the range of full on tropical summers - with temperatures comparable to those typical of equatorial lowland areas of Brazil, West Africa and Indonesia.

Remaining Cities
Northern America: 26/62
Latin America: 43/94
Europe: 3/75
Africa: 48/92
West Asia: 37/54
Central & North Asia: 7/19
Southeast Asia: 39/42
East Asia: 102/155

Old Posted Jul 29, 2022, 6:03 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
^ Which city is that?
I'm going to guess Mosul...

Old Posted Jul 29, 2022, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
This is the current weather forecast for the city with the hottest summers. And this is not even unusual for this time of year. And it's not some unpopulated desert like Death Valley, but an urban area of 1.5 million people.

That's certainly not Phoenix... we're currently deep in our monsoon season and under a flash flood watch. I think yesterday's high was 92F and today's high is supposed to up in the upper 90s with rain/thunderstorms. The rest of the weekend is supposed to be about 100 or so with rain/thunderstorms.

I do wonder where Phoenix is going to land on this list. Maybe top 10-20?

Old Posted Jul 29, 2022, 4:39 PM

Quote:

https://explorepartsunknown.com/mexi...o-mexico-city/
Mexico City

This set contains the first city in southern China, Kunming. Meanwhile, none of the cities in northern China have been revealed yet. We also get the first Australian city - Melbourne. There's also the first city with an urban area population of over 20 million - Mexico City, which is the 10th biggest city in the world by that metric.

Remaining Cities
Northern America: 56/62
Latin America: 83/94
Europe: 38/75
Africa: 85/92
West Asia: 52/53
Central & North Asia: 11/19
South Asia: 97/97
Southeast Asia: 42/42
East Asia: 151/155
Oceania: 4/6
It was a little surprising that Mexico City is the coolest megacity in North America. Now the suspense is building to see which is the hottest: New York or L.A.?

Catching up on the thread and just saw that L.A. was already revealed. So NYC is the hottest megacity in North America, and probably second or third hottest in all of the Americas?

Old Posted Jul 29, 2022, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
It was a little surprising that Mexico City is the coolest megacity in North America. Now the suspense is building to see which is the hottest: New York or L.A.?
I mean it isn't, really. Mexico City is warm, year-round, when people are normally active. Yes, at 4 AM it's cool, year-round, in contrast to NYC and LA, due to extreme elevation, but who cares? You don't need any warm weather clothes in Mexico City.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2022, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I mean it isn't, really. Mexico City is warm, year-round, when people are normally active. Yes, at 4 AM it's cool, year-round, in contrast to NYC and LA, due to extreme elevation, but who cares? You don't need any warm weather clothes in Mexico City.
I meant surprising in that, conventionally, you'd expect Mexico City to be warmer than New York.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2022, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
I do wonder where Phoenix is going to land on this list. Maybe top 10-20?
I'm thinking 10th to 15th. The Persian Gulf cities will definitely be ahead, and maybe some of the bazillion Indus-Ganges cities might slip ahead.

For the US, I'm expecting Phoenix to be second, behind Las Vegas. Maybe for North America as well, since Mexican cities tend to be either higher elevation or more humid, both cooling factors.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2022, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxRox View Post
I'm thinking 10th to 15th. The Persian Gulf cities will definitely be ahead, and maybe some of the bazillion Indus-Ganges cities might slip ahead.

For the US, I'm expecting Phoenix to be second, behind Las Vegas. Maybe for North America as well, since Mexican cities tend to be either higher elevation or more humid, both cooling factors.
Unless you've already looked at data, I would bet Phoenix will be ahead of Las Vegas. LV is slightly higher in elevation and isn't quite as hot and sometimes isn't quite as humid from the monsoon as Phoenix (keeps our low temps higher when it's humid in July; yes, conversely keeps high temps lower).

Old Posted Jul 29, 2022, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post

Catching up on the thread and just saw that L.A. was already revealed. So NYC is the hottest megacity in North America, and probably second or third hottest in all of the Americas?
Megacities of the Americas

417. Rio de Janeiro 26.6C
468. New York City 25.3C
486. Buenos Aires 24.9C
489. (Chicago 24.8C)
536. Los Angeles 23.7C
546. São Paulo 23.5C
579. Lima 22.7C
630. Mexico City 20.1C
695. Bogotá 15.0C

As Washington-Baltimore approaches the 10m mark it will take the #1 spot from Rio.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2022, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Megacities of the Americas

417. Rio de Janeiro 26.6C
468. New York City 25.3C
486. Buenos Aires 24.9C
489. (Chicago 24.8C)
536. Los Angeles 23.7C
546. São Paulo 23.5C
579. Lima 22.7C
630. Mexico City 20.1C
695. Bogotá 15.0C

As Washington-Baltimore approaches the 10m mark it will take the #1 spot from Rio.
Although Chicago isn't a megacity... It is interesting how much hotter it gets than warm weather cities. Especially considering its image as a cold weather place.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2022, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
This is not really true. If you're out & about in the morning, say 7-8am to walk your talk, walk to the local bakery, waiting at the bus stop, etc, then temperatures at that time of the day will be pretty close to the daily low. If you're someone who owns a dog or walks/takes transit for commuting and works indoors, then the early mornings will be close to 50% of your time spent outdoors (the rest being in the late afternoon/evening).

Here on the shores of Lake Ontario, the average low temperature experienced in 6am-9am time range in the past 10 days has been 20C, with a range of 16-24C. 16C is a touch chilly, but usually mornings are free of wind, so you can still go out in your shorts and t-shirts. In Mexico City it has been averaging at 14C, with a range of 13-16C, which would have you gravitating towards long sleeves, especially since it's drier and the sun rises later (at 7:12am in Mexico City vs 6:06am here). And certainly you'll be wearing long sleeves if you have to go to work in January and it's 8C at 7am and still dark.

Obviously Mexico City is still warmer than the Great Lakes in terms of the annual average, and temperatures fall within the "pleasant range" for a longer part of the year.

Obviously very few cities will have cold summers. Cities will generally be located in places where agriculture is viable, and it won't be viable if you have no growing season. If the winters are cold, you can still grow stuff if the summers are warm, but you still need the summers to be warm. Pretty much every major city will have summers that are at a minimum, mild, and possibly quite hot.

I thought it would be more interesting to rank cities by summer temperature. We're at that time of year where many people are complaining about heat waves. Well these are the cities where you can go to escape heat waves, and the cities to avoid (at least in the summer) if you dislike extreme heat.

Mexico City falls into the category of mild, which is to say, pleasant summers, no matter how you slice it. By and large Canada and Europe also falls into the category of mild & pleasant summers too. Their summers don't get as hot as West Africa, Southern China, the Southern US or Indonesia, much less the Indus Valley or Persian Gulf.

Posting a ranking of coldest winters or average annual mean would yield more predictable results. But this makes for a more interesting thread idea. Still valid too, because people tend to notice the extremes of their experiences more than the averages, and when "Hotlanta" is still cooler than over half the cities on this list in the summer, you know that there's a lot of people in the world that have to deal with rather intense heat for at least part of the year.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2022, 7:46 PM

https://www.tripsavvy.com/amazing-bu...eijing-5072766
Beijing, China

We've now reached the two big Asian capitals of Beijing and Tokyo. Plus a slew of other East Asian cities including the ancient capital of Xi'an. The southern half of China even as far north as Shanghai is still mostly warmer though.

Remaining Cities
Northern America: 24/62
Latin America: 40/94
Europe: 2/75
Africa: 46/92
West Asia: 36/54
Southeast Asia: 38/42
East Asia: 92/155

Old Posted Jul 29, 2022, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Remaining Cities
Northern America: 24/62
Latin America: 40/94
Africa: 46/92
Southeast Asia: 38/42
East Asia: 92/155
Are you not counting Honolulu (still remaining) as Oceania?

Edit: Surprised to see Indonesian cities like Jakarta appearing in the bottom half of the list (#348 is the halfway point). I'm guessing the humidity is keeping their peak temps lower compared to drier cities.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2022, 8:03 PM

https://www.brol.com/brazil-destinat...essoa-paraiba/
João Pessoa, Brazil

This set includes the last urban area in the US's "Northeast corridor" and several Chinese and tropical cities, including the 2nd most populated urban area in the world after Tokyo - Jakarta, Indonesia.

Remaining Cities
Northern America: 20/62
Latin America: 36/94
Africa: 45/92
Southeast Asia: 34/42
East Asia: 85/155

Old Posted Jul 29, 2022, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxRox View Post
Are you not counting Honolulu (still remaining) as Oceania?
I wasn't sure what region to include it in since it's in the middle of nowhere, but it's about twice as close to the US as to Australia, so I included it with the rest of the cities in its country. I included San Juan, PR as part of Latin America though.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions