HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jul 11, 2022, 5:05 PM

Until recently, GO structured their fares to exclude Toronto residents and TTC users, so can't blame TTC too much for exclude GO Trains from their subway map. I'm more bothered by TTC's complete lack of service to Malton and the Westwood Mall transit hub there, because that is more than exclusion and isolation in terms of marketing, that is the exclusion and isolation of actual connections and communities.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2022, 5:50 PM
video et taceo

Stockholm

Old Posted Jul 12, 2022, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg View Post
London's transit network is simply amazing.
Despite the cock-ups with the franchise setup, there have been some great advancements in terms of safety and modern rolling stock, but there is still a lot more that could be done (not necessarily requiring massive infrastructure projects) to drastically improve the entire experience and get more people onto trains, but that is for another discussion.

Pre-privatisation the British rail network was divided into regions, Network South East (“NSE”, which existed from 1986-1994) covered the non-Underground heavy rail network in and around London, a network of 3,781km and 930 stations. Factoring in various extensions and new lines since NSE (HS1, Crossrail, ELLE, Evergreen 3…), and station openings (another: Barking Riverside is due to open on Monday), the network (excluding Underground and DLR) is likely now 3,900km - 4,000km and circa 950 stations

Ridership is a harder to pin down because of the franchising setup (e.g. South Western Railway provide ‘metro’ commuter, longer distance commuter, intercity and rural services), but going by ORR statistics of train use in the London, the South East and East of England regions, the pre-pandemic annual figure comes to 1.4bn journeys per annum, circa 3.8mn journeys every day, with more naturally on weekdays.

There have been attempts to try and show the London Underground and London’s commuter rail network on a single map, but it tends to get pretty messy and overwhelming, hence t

Over the past few decades the London rail network has been split across two maps: inside London (London’s Rail & Tube Map) and around London (London & South East Map) – as posed by muppet earlier – as there are simply too many lines and stations. Attempts have been made by some to try and show everything on a single map (including across the entire UK) but it becomes pretty messy and overwhelming.

Images sourced from National Rail: https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stati...rail-maps.aspx

A common issue with official and unofficial London rail maps is that they typically bundle routes by franchise operator which is not exactly helpful when an operator could serve multiple routes, then again, I’m not sure how you could display a GO Transit style map without hundreds of routes being shown.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2022, 12:26 AM
Ascension

Los Angeles

Old Posted Jul 15, 2022, 12:27 AM

An overview of all the massive transit projects going on in Toronto

Video Link

Old Posted Jul 15, 2022, 6:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nito View Post
Despite the cock-ups with the franchise setup, there have been some great advancements in terms of safety and modern rolling stock, but there is still a lot more that could be done (not necessarily requiring massive infrastructure projects) to drastically improve the entire experience and get more people onto trains, but that is for another discussion.

Pre-privatisation the British rail network was divided into regions, Network South East (“NSE”, which existed from 1986-1994) covered the non-Underground heavy rail network in and around London, a network of 3,781km and 930 stations. Factoring in various extensions and new lines since NSE (HS1, Crossrail, ELLE, Evergreen 3…), and station openings (another: Barking Riverside is due to open on Monday), the network (excluding Underground and DLR) is likely now 3,900km - 4,000km and circa 950 stations

Ridership is a harder to pin down because of the franchising setup (e.g. South Western Railway provide ‘metro’ commuter, longer distance commuter, intercity and rural services), but going by ORR statistics of train use in the London, the South East and East of England regions, the pre-pandemic annual figure comes to 1.4bn journeys per annum, circa 3.8mn journeys every day, with more naturally on weekdays.

There have been attempts to try and show the London Underground and London’s commuter rail network on a single map, but it tends to get pretty messy and overwhelming, hence t

Over the past few decades the London rail network has been split across two maps: inside London (London’s Rail & Tube Map) and around London (London & South East Map) – as posed by muppet earlier – as there are simply too many lines and stations. Attempts have been made by some to try and show everything on a single map (including across the entire UK) but it becomes pretty messy and overwhelming.

Images sourced from National Rail: https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stati...rail-maps.aspx

A common issue with official and unofficial London rail maps is that they typically bundle routes by franchise operator which is not exactly helpful when an operator could serve multiple routes, then again, I’m not sure how you could display a GO Transit style map without hundreds of routes being shown.
Almost too many lines. Tourists must get lost.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2022, 12:38 PM

LA is going to have a pretty damn impressive rail system by the time the Olympics arrive.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2022, 1:20 PM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Greenville has a mediocre bus system not really worth mentioning, so here's a view of the inaugural subway line in Quito, Ecuador, one of the cities where my husband's heart truly lives.

Source.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Jul 15, 2022, 6:49 PM
Environmental Sabotage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJXN View Post
Los Angeles

There is also Metrolink for LA which I would post if I could. They have a great map:

https://www.octa.net/Metrolink/How-to-Ride/System-Map/

In a couple months the regional connector and the K line will open so the LA Metro map will be different. Of course the D Line subway will be functioning all the way to UCLA by 2027 with segments opening in 2024 and 2027.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2022, 12:05 AM
Ascension

Quote:
Originally Posted by dktshb View Post
There is also Metrolink for LA which I would post if I could. They have a great map:

https://www.octa.net/Metrolink/How-to-Ride/System-Map/

In a couple months the regional connector and the K line will open so the LA Metro map will be different. Of course the D Line subway will be functioning all the way to UCLA by 2027 with segments opening in 2024 and 2027.
Metrolink is often overlooked when it comes to SoCal transit. I just wish it had more frequency and sleeker looking trains.

Just for fun, LA's long term transit goals.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2022, 1:01 AM
Resu Deretsiger

SMART is the closest system and they are now running freight on their other lines, so hopefully that means service will come soon.

source

Source

Last edited by TWAK; Jul 17, 2022 at 1:13 AM.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2022, 1:43 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg View Post
LA is going to have a pretty damn impressive rail system by the time the Olympics arrive.
Not really, but thanks.

We'll have the D (Purple) Line extended to Wilshire/Bonsall, the Crenshaw Line and Regional Connector (both slated to open later this year), the LAX people mover, and the Gold Line extension to Pomona. That's about it.

It's astounding the cost to build LRT, let alone HRT, in the U.S. these days.

EDIT: Maybe HRT to the Arts District; Inglewood people mover.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Jul 17, 2022, 2:46 AM
Dryer lint inspector

LA has a pretty decent subway system. They get shit for it but most cities would kill to have half that.

I guess 'my' city is MUNI but never ridden it.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2022, 2:59 AM
你的媽媽

The Bay has 4 main rail systems, all of which can be accessed using the Clipper card.

BART heavy rail, 5th busiest in the US. Currently working on subway extension to downtown SJ.
Caltrain commuter rail, 7th busiest in the US. Currently working on electrification.
MUNI light rail, 2nd busiest in the US. Central Subway Chinatown extension should open to service this fall.
VTA light rail, 18th busiest in the US. Nothing going on here, pretty much garbage.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2022, 3:02 AM
你的媽媽

What it looks like combined with other systems like the SF cable car and historic streetcar line, SMART, and other regional commuter rail lines (Capitol Corridor, Amtrak, ACE) and airport people movers.

Other things on the horizon: 2nd Transbay Tube, Geary-19th Ave Subway, HSR

Old Posted Jul 17, 2022, 3:16 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Milpitas is the place to be; take both BART and VTA. Caltrain needs to step up their game and extend their route there.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2022, 3:53 AM

where we could be one day.

where we are today...

Old Posted Jul 17, 2022, 6:28 PM
Environmental Sabotage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
LA has a pretty decent subway system. They get shit for it but most cities would kill to have half that.

I guess 'my' city is MUNI but never ridden it.
Took it 5 days a week before the pandemic and I am now back in the office 3 days a week taking MUNI. The L line is still not up but since I get on at Castro it doesn't affect me. Actually I like it better because it is one less train clogging up the subway under Market. My biggest gripe is that there are too many trains that all funnel into Market. There should have been separate tracks for the J and N lines. I almost wish the J continued down Folsom rather than come into Market and the N should have had a separate dedicated line down market. Additionally, MUNI should have expanded down Van Ness and Geary decades ago. The new bus line down Van Ness is a great improvement though.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2022, 1:15 AM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
What it looks like combined with other systems like the SF cable car and historic streetcar line, SMART, and other regional commuter rail lines (Capitol Corridor, Amtrak, ACE) and airport people movers.

Other things on the horizon: 2nd Transbay Tube, Geary-19th Ave Subway, HSR

Are other metros this fragmented with agencies? Your image never showed up, but I can see it in the quote. There's not really any good maps showing all the Bay Area's transit lines.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2022, 1:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
Almost too many lines. Tourists must get lost.
Whilst the official inside/outside London rail maps also don’t give a breakdown of services, tourists don’t tend to get as lost as you would think due to the plethora of physical & digital information available to get people to their destination. A lot of destinations are served by different lines giving greater accessibility across a wider area (e.g. Cambridge, Oxford, Windsor, Canterbury, etc…) from where people may be visiting or working. Unofficial attempts have previously been worked on, but they would get quite messy e.g. south London suburban train services if everything was overlaid.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions