HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 16, 2022, 4:01 PM

If you can get a guy who can add say 2000 more fans per game at $50 bucks a ticket thats 100 grand additional per game in gate revenue. I know someone like Johnny Manziel a failure on the field did boost alouettes attendance by 2 or 3 thousand per game.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2022, 4:03 PM

I love that Rourke is not only Canadian but is from BC. When was the last decade that happened?

Last edited by Denscity; Aug 16, 2022 at 8:21 PM.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2022, 4:21 PM

Am I dreaming, or were there a couple of QBs a few years ago, signing for $700k, when the usual high end CFL QB was getting $400-500k

Edit: On February 12, 2019, Mitchell re-signed with the Calgary Stampeders, in a four-year deal worth $2.8 million.

Bo Levi Mitchell has agreed to a restructured contract for next season with the Calgary Stampeders.

The new deal will net the Stamps a minimum of $40,000 in savings under the salary cap, and there is further salary that is now tied to Mitchell’s playing time.

Mitchell was set to earn $525,000 in 2022, according to multiple reports. Next season represents the final year on the four-season contract he signed in 2019.

Collaros $550k
Fajardo $509k WTF?
Mike Reilly made $575k in 2021

Old Posted Aug 16, 2022, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Am I dreaming, or were there a couple of QBs a few years ago, signing for $700k, when the usual high end CFL QB was getting $400-500k
That was Bo Levi and Reilly making 750k a year but they restructured post covid as teams had no cap space for other positions

Old Posted Aug 16, 2022, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Bo Levi Mitchell signed a 4 year deal for $2.8 M in 2019, although I would imagine it would have been restructured (read: pay cut) due to the pandemic season.

I can't think of who else would have signed a deal in that ballpark.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2022, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I can't think of who else would have signed a deal in that ballpark.
Lions working on restructuring Mike Reilly’s contract

I believe it was Reilly and Mitchell, and being astonished at that time when belts should be tightening that the teams were paying an additional $200k or thereabouts, incredible.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2022, 6:54 PM

Andrew Harris out 4 to 6 weeks with torn pec. Good chance for Alouettes and Ti Cats to leapfrog Argos

Old Posted Aug 16, 2022, 7:18 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Do CFL teams get any compensation from the NFL when a player still under CFL contract gets signed in the NFL ?

Old Posted Aug 16, 2022, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
Do CFL teams get any compensation from the NFL when a player still under CFL contract gets signed in the NFL ?
AS far as I'm aware (and I could be wrong, please correct me if I am), it doesn't actually happen. They have a "gentleman's agreement" not to approach players under contract. Instead, CFL teams usually release players who want to go tryout for NFL opportunities.

Changing to be more like soccer, where smaller clubs can make big money for sending players on to bigger clubs, could be an interesting way for the CFL to improve it's finances... but it probably won't do anything to deter the cries of "bush league" from the peanut gallery.

Now that I think of it, the most a club could probably demand is the rest of the contract? How do soccer fees work? If it could be X percent of the new, larger contract that could be worth it.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2022, 8:13 PM

^ It is very courteous of the CFL to release players to pursue NFL opportunities, but in most cases some random WLB or whatever won't really move the needle when it comes to ticket sales or whatever. I doubt the Bombers lost one season ticket when Deaundre Alford went to the Falcons, for instance.

But someone like Rourke has significant value to the Lions. It seems wrong to let him go for nothing. At the very least a NFL team should have to provide compensation if the Lions are going to let him go early... either that, or force him to finish his contract. It's not like he's locked down for 8 years.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 7:57 PM

Banjo bowl already sold out today as per bombers Facebook page

Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 8:43 PM

Andrew Harris out for the season now for season ending pectoral surgery.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Andrew Harris out for the season now for season ending pectoral surgery.
Huge oof for the Argos. I guess Kyle Walters was right all along.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 8:57 PM

Harris is still good when healthy but his body keeps breaking down. Running backs are like tires once their bodies go they are done

Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 9:08 PM

Harris is 35... as we know, running backs are a bit of a ticking time bomb once they get into their 30s.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2022, 12:40 AM

Going from my childhood memories, these are some of the better field conditions that I saw in Ottawa. I don't think I've seen this one out in the collections, it features the era of the Montreal NFL "stars" I get a big kick out of the commercials, they are so embedded in your memory you know them 40 years on.

Lex Luger was on the Als that year, I haven't gone through the broadcast to see if he was there. He only played two games that year.

Video Link

Last edited by elly63; Aug 18, 2022 at 12:55 AM.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2022, 1:29 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Going from my childhood memories, these are some of the better field conditions that I saw in Ottawa. I don't think I've seen this one out in the collections, it features the era of the Montreal NFL "stars" I get a big kick out of the commercials, they are so embedded in your memory you know them 40 years on.

Lex Luger was on the Als that year, I haven't gone through the broadcast to see if he was there. He only played two games that year.

Video Link
Featuring United States Congressman Julius Caesar Watts (GOP-OK)!

Great memories.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2022, 3:00 PM

3-1 last week to go 29-10 overall. The only one I botched was the one that probably everyone except Gary Stern botched. Sigh.

This week's picks:

Edmonton at Ottawa: Battle of the basement. This one feels like a coin toss. Redblacks being at home and rested coming off a bye week might put them over the top. Ottawa.

BC at Saskatchewan: Lions are elite and I don't think the Riders should give them too much trouble. BC.

Hamilton at Montreal: Another tough one to call. Both are coming off wins last week which is weird. Montreal's defense looked very impressive last week in their upset win against the Bombers, so I'll go with the Als. Montreal.

Calgary at Toronto: Andrew Harris is done for the season and so are the Argos. Calgary.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2022, 3:19 PM
Community Guy

WJH or Elks/Reds, hmmm.

Elks must win this or we need to rethink a bunch of people and things.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Aug 19, 2022, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
WJH or Elks/Reds, hmmm.

Elks must win this or we need to rethink a bunch of people and things.
One analyst I heard - can't remember who - was opining that Chris Jones may be in over his head doing both coaching and GM roles. He said that even a football super-genius like Wally Buono eventually stopped doing both jobs.

So finding a proper GM might be a start for Edmonton.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada