HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 11:58 AM

Hopefully National Parks will open by mid summer and this might be the year to get a Park Pass. There's at least one here in Nova Scotia I've wanted to do for a long time.... Kejimkujik for the First Nation culture. Lots of trails and camping available.

And if Newfoundland allows visitors this year......I'll be off to Gros Morne (below) for the wilderness and coastal areas where it shouldn't be too difficult to physical-distance.

And note the heavy traffic below you might encounter along the west coast of the island. If you want to get away from others.....this is the place!!

Last edited by ghYHZ; Apr 30, 2020 at 12:53 PM.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 12:24 PM

Pinery Provincial Park - Ontario.

Pinery by Harry Carmichael, on Flickr

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 2:01 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^unfortunately with Lake Huron overflowing, there is practically no beach left at the Pinery. I go there a few times every year, and it has gotten worse for four years running. When the water is lower, it is one of the best spots for swimming and lying on the beach in the province.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 2:04 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
Same for me. When I was at U of Waterloo I always looked out the window in Milton at the jail hoping to see some rock breaking or at least a brawl between inmates.
I was looking for jail breaks...a la "Escape from Alcatraz" or "Shawshank Redemption". We also have a large jail in London along 401 (near Wellington Rd. Exit)

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 2:27 PM

was planning to drive out to Prince Rupert in June but.....

From Prince Rupert we were going to hop the ferry down to Vancouver Island, 11 hour on the same route as the cruise ships but not on one). then down the island and back to Alberta with a stop in Invermere and Radium.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 2:43 PM

Always love visiting Canada - the only downside is getting back into the states.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
was planning to drive out to Prince Rupert in June but.....

From Prince Rupert we were going to hop the ferry down to Vancouver Island, 11 hour on the same route as the cruise ships but not on one). then down the island and back to Alberta with a stop in Invermere and Radium.
Radium is a good spot to visit Kootenay and Yoho and the hot springs are nice for a swim.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 6:10 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghYHZ View Post
Hopefully National Parks will open by mid summer and this might be the year to get a Park Pass. There's at least one here in Nova Scotia I've wanted to do for a long time.... Kejimkujik for the First Nation culture. Lots of trails and camping available.
The Kejimkujik petroglyphs are kind of amazing. They depict scenes of daily life which include sailing ships evolving over the centuries, possibly going back to the 1500's.

When Cartier came to Mi'kmaq territory in 1534 they greeted him with a big pile of furs and became the first on record to trade with Europeans. By the 1600's the Mi'kmaq had traded for and were operating their own sailing vessels (shallops).

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Radium is a good spot to visit Kootenay and Yoho and the hot springs are nice for a swim.
Wife prefers Radium to Jasper and Banff hot springs. Plus it is not as busy. Was supposed to be in Panorama for an event in June, (Canceled) which would have tied up the BC trip nicely. Especially when I could have got the company to pay for the Prince Rupert hotel for 2 nights.

When we are free to travel more We will probably go to our fall back place in Rockie Mountain house.
https://www.theprairiecreekinn.ca/accommodations/

Great place to shut off the world.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
I was thinking about heading over to Okotoks. I heard there are a number of things to do in Okotoks. Has it been amalgamated into Calgary's CMA yet, or is Statistics Canada still doing the hate-on?

Absolute classic.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
Wife prefers Radium to Jasper and Banff hot springs. Plus it is not as busy. Was supposed to be in Panorama for an event in June, (Canceled) which would have tied up the BC trip nicely. Especially when I could have got the company to pay for the Prince Rupert hotel for 2 nights.

When we are free to travel more We will probably go to our fall back place in Rockie Mountain house.
https://www.theprairiecreekinn.ca/accommodations/

Great place to shut off the world.
Great restaurant in Radium for Hungarian food and to watch the sunset and also a great Mexican place there.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 10:10 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
Pinery Provincial Park - Ontario.

Pinery by Harry Carmichael, on Flickr
What a fantastic photo. Bravo!

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 10:57 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Anyone have any travel plans coming up or ideas as to where they'd like to go within Canada?
Depending on what international travel looks like in August/September I will probably be doing a trip to the Maritimes once again this year.

I've never had the chance to check out Kejimkujik so maybe i'll try to get that in this time.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 11:35 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

My concern is that with elevated risks and a lot of closures, travel may not be a whole lot of fun. For now I have cancelled my international trips and haven't made a lot of other plans.

I'll be happy if some campgrounds and beaches are open around here. If things go unexpectedly well I might fly somewhere in Canada in August.

Old Posted May 1, 2020, 4:05 AM
Mooderator

Harryc's Photo reminded me of one that I took a few years back on the Toronto Islands (Gibraltar Point, I think). The waves were huge.

Old Posted May 1, 2020, 4:41 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
My concern is that with elevated risks and a lot of closures, travel may not be a whole lot of fun. For now I have cancelled my international trips and haven't made a lot of other plans.

I'll be happy if some campgrounds and beaches are open around here. If things go unexpectedly well I might fly somewhere in Canada in August.
Some provinces (New Brunswick, Saskatchewan) have done a far better job responding to and managing this pandemic. They will surely open up well before other provinces (Ontario, Quebec) that have been slow to respond and in many ways incompetent.

Will people from central Canada try vacationing in provinces that open up before them? I suspect places like New Brunswick won't take kindly to out of province visitors... and I don't blame them. Could we see movement between provinces restricted all summer?

Old Posted May 1, 2020, 4:47 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Some provinces (New Brunswick, Saskatchewan) have done a far better job responding to and managing this pandemic. They will surely open up well before other provinces (Ontario, Quebec) that have been slow to respond and in many ways incompetent.

Will people from central Canada try vacationing in provinces that open up before them? I suspect places like New Brunswick won't take kindly to out of province visitors... and I don't blame them. Could we see movement between provinces restricted all summer?
NB won't be open to non-essential travel from other provinces that still have significant outbreaks.

We can't say that because one province has fewer cases it did a "better job". For a while the best province for per capita testing was Alberta, then it was Nova Scotia. Newfoundland and New Brunswick were behind on testing for weeks. I think the biggest factor is less travel from areas with outbreaks. The bigger provinces have more international connections, and Nova Scotia has an airport with many flights to Europe and the US (but not Asia and so was hit weeks later than ON and BC). Had covid emerged during the peak of the tourist and cruise ship season I don't think NB and PEI would have been spared. I also think that bigger provinces and bigger cities have inherently bigger clusters of outbreaks. Ohio has huge prisons with thousands of people. PEI has nothing like that.

In BC we're down to around 25 new cases per day with most being in already-discovered clusters. That is like NB having 4 new cases a day or PEI having 0-1 new cases. The difference between PEI being a worse than average or better than average province comes down to 1 nursing home outbreak.

Last edited by someone123; May 1, 2020 at 4:58 PM.

Old Posted May 1, 2020, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Great restaurant in Radium for Hungarian food and to watch the sunset and also a great Mexican place there.
Think you meant the Austrian restaurant "Old Salzburg" there, which I agree is absolutely fantastic

Old Posted May 1, 2020, 10:48 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Probably. I'm guessing I won't be able to visit my family in NB until September, but it sounds like NB and PEI will be open to each other in a matter of weeks.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2022, 4:53 PM

My summer vacation will be within Canada again this year and I was hoping someone might have some advice.

As part of my trip I will be spending a few days in Moncton and I was hoping to do a day trip on one of those days to Fundy National Park/Hopewell Rocks which I've never visited before.

I was wondering if anyone from the region or is otherwise familiar with the area might have some advice? Are there any particular routes/destinations I should consider? Is going to Saint John as the endpoint for the day trip too long? I thought it might be nice to end the day and spend a few hours in Saint john before returning to Moncton for the night but I'm not sure how realistic that is, maybe Fundy is far enough? I've never been to Saint John so I'm not familiar with that drive. I'm travelling with kids in tow so a day trip to that area is about as far as I'll get into the Fundy shores.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada