HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 24, 2017, 5:12 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMBY View Post
One of the worst for Nimby's in the LA area??????? That surprises me, having spent a night there in the downtown area a couple years ago.

I always thought the top honor for Nimby's was Santa Monica, which hasn't seen a new high rise since 1970!
What's surprising ? a few years ago, Long Beach was completely dead with near zero construction and activity going on.

This year is actually way more active. BUT. all of the new projects (minus the new civic center) have been tweaked and downsized based off of nimby demands. A few of the 7 story buildings were once proposed as high rises until nimbys blocked a lot of them and demanded more parking in the process. They also have a history of going door to door harassing residences in the downtown area. One tried to get me to sign a frivolous and ridiculous petition to "Block all new high rises". Santa Monica will probably always be nimby central for LA but Long Beach isn't far behind. I will say however, the problem isn't as bad as it once was.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2018, 9:32 AM

Better waves

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone View Post
Can anyone explain to me why Long Beach is still So.Cal's sleeper city? Is there a height limit? Too many NIMBYs?

You know what Downtown Long Beach needs? A retro baseball park - ala ATT and Petco. Come on Angels ditch that Anaheim hell hole.
Long Beach used to have good sized waves on south swells until the breakwater was extended. Maybe part of the breakwater could be removed to make the beach more than a wading pool? If you want beach tourism you need waves. Also, some more night spots, and a comedy club, museums, restaurants, and a new amusement zone (New Pike?) perhaps near the Queen Mary and more condo towers, some over 400' to beef up the skyline (only 1 going up now). Maybe a Space Needle like observation tower (hopefully at least 600') downtown or near the Queen Mary? Long Beach could also attract more boat races and maybe air races like San Diego has in the past. Voila....San Diego north.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 5:14 AM

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 6:07 PM

About damn time.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2018, 5:21 AM

Drove by shoreline gateway earlier today, it’s still a parking lot and it’s still being used, it didn’t break ground.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2018, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 112597jorge View Post
Drove by shoreline gateway earlier today, it’s still a parking lot and it’s still being used, it didn’t break ground.
It was a "Ceremonial" ground breaking. My aunt lives around the corner, one of her neighbors rents a parking space there. Her contract ends on Halloween but she said they were willing to reimburse her fully if she gave up her spot early.

In other Long Beach news.

Posted on Urbanize https://urbanize.la/post/100-ocean-h...-beach-skyline

at 402 ft tall, this will become one of LBs tallest once its done, It fits Long Beach, wish the crown was different. Its time Long Beach goes taller though. Something in the 700 range would be nice.

Last edited by caligrad; Oct 27, 2018 at 12:21 AM.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2018, 2:06 AM

From the Gerald Desmond website

Old Posted Dec 12, 2018, 7:46 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat23 View Post
So construction on this has FINALLY started. Cant really tell but I think they've dug down pretty deep, trucks were pulling out left and right . They have K rails up and fencing. No crane yet. But seems like they are getting ready to install one. Long Beach finally gets a new tallest nearly 30 years later.

Last edited by caligrad; Dec 13, 2018 at 1:10 AM.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2018, 10:42 PM

Construction has not started, there were cars still parked in that lot and the only evidence I saw of anything resembling construction were a couple of porta-potties. This was weekend before last.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 1:11 AM

^^^...…….Weekend before last...…so two weeks ago.... So what you're saying is that its impossible for construction to begin within those two weeks ? The most frustrating thing in the world is when someone tries to say that your first hand account is wrong lol and then say "well I was there the weekend before last, two full weeks ago, and it was still a parking lot so construction hasn't started yet"...………...

I was aaaactually there yesterday. Fencing was up, K rails were up and dump trunks were moving in and out. as of YESTERDAY. Not two weeks ago. But by all means, take a trip down and see for yourself since my eyes were apparently wrong

Last edited by caligrad; Dec 13, 2018 at 1:37 AM.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 8:00 PM

7 days later, yes, just to reconfirm, the ocean gateway tower is in fact starting the construction process. K-rails are up, fencing is up, they have begin digging, pile drivers are in motion. Its happening.

ITS NOT A PARKING LOT ANYMORE.

My aunt, who lives around the corner, received a notice for a community meeting. The block right behind this tower is apparently being bought out by a single developer with plans to buldoze the entire block to add mixed use "buildings". I read the notice, not much detail, but apparently two of the buildings are seeking historical status, which seems to be the go to move to block a project these days. But it sounds like it may be a pretty big ish project.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2019, 5:10 PM

LA Angels of Anaheim and Long Beach?

Now that Mike Trout has his big contract, he could afford to live in one of the nice high-rise condos right on the ocean.

EXCLUSIVE: Angels in talks on possible move to Long Beach

By Jason Ruiz
Long Beach Post
Feb. 25, 2019

This image from Google Earth shows the Long Beach Arena to the left (the circular blue structure) and the roughly 13-acre “elephant lot” to the right where city officials are negotiating to build a stadium for the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. (Image courtesy of the Long Beach Post)

"The Los Angeles Angels are in talks with the city about the possibility of moving the team to Long Beach and building a new stadium on a Downtown waterfront lot, several sources familiar with the discussions told the Post.

The team’s arrival couldn’t happen any sooner than the 2021 season; the Angels in January extended their lease with Anaheim through 2020.

Significant details are not yet clear, such as the cost of the proposed stadium and who would pay for it. Many layers of approval would also be required..."

https://lbpost.com/news/angels-anahe...beach-stadium/

Old Posted Mar 19, 2019, 5:33 PM

Ive always thought that they should do exactly this. Fantastic location similar to SF or SD, still very close to the OC fan base and can cultivate new fans in the second largest city in LA County

Old Posted Mar 19, 2019, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
Ive always thought that they should do exactly this. Fantastic location similar to SF or SD, still very close to the OC fan base and can cultivate new fans in the second largest city in LA County
Unfortunately, Long Beach is big Dodgers country. And the Angels have a huge fanbase in the Inland Empire, so a ballpark in DT Long Beach will be nearly impossible to get to. This is probably more a negotiating tactic than anything.

*Send PM for updates/edits/corrections*

Old Posted Mar 19, 2019, 6:04 PM

I have mixed opinions about this. I agree that the Angels fan base is Orange County and the Inland Empire. The current stadium is also very transit accessible via Metrolink. On the other hand, a new stadium in an urban setting in downtown Long Beach right on the water would be great for Long Beach and would be one of MLB's most scenic locations.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 5:17 PM

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 4:29 PM

Old Posted Dec 19, 2019, 6:44 PM

Love seeing DT LB getting some new highrise development, however I can't say I am a huge fan of the 3rd and Pacific rendering. I believe Long Beach should have been recieving ATLEAST as much development as Oakland which has been getting quite a few new highrises these last few years. Anyway I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THE RENDERING OF THE SHORELINE GATEWAY TOWER AND PRAY THAT THEY STICK TO THE RENDERING!!! I believe that it is one of the more interesting buildings in appearance that is under construction in Southern California right now and should have been designed with about 100 ft more in height. Nevertheless it would make a georgeous crowning tower to ANY skyline in my opinion so LB is blessed!!!! Too bad OC doesn't seem to be able to get anything going on in DT Santa Ana or Anaheim! I believe OC needs to have a REAL solid round of construction in its Core, was down there recently and noticed a few more Hotels in Anaheim and SOME 5 to 7 story developments going up by the 55 and 5 connector and another development by the Town&Country building by Main Place Mall... I was a little impressed to see Santa Ana FINALLY getting some much Deserved development! Anyway LB and OC are so close together yet worlds apart it seems I have to say I love them both but OC needs to step up thier game and build some quality density!!!!

Old Posted Oct 15, 2020, 5:38 AM

Shoreline Gateway:

Gerald Desmond Bridge Replacement:

Old Posted Oct 15, 2020, 6:23 PM

Nice updated pics! I recommend you upload on imgur so you don't get the photobucket watermark

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations