HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Aug 8, 2012, 7:01 PM

SF parking plan's message: Transit first

August 6, 2012

By Rachel Gordon

Read More: http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/articl...st-3767449.php

Quote:
San Francisco's aggressive plan to install thousands more parking meters and to expand the hours they operate has an overarching goal of making the streets friendlier for transit, cycling and walking. That objective is outlined in a new San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency document addressing on-street parking management strategies that will be used to help the agency navigate the expected prickly public reaction to budding proposals for more meters from the Mission to the Outer Sunset.

The draft document, obtained Monday by The Chronicle and set to be considered for adoption by the agency's governing board Sept. 18, states clearly that "parking policies are designed to encourage travel by public transit and sustainable modes of transportation. "The SFMTA manages parking to prioritize public transit, walking, bicycling and the needs of paratransit and commercial deliveries," it says. The goal emphasizes the city's official transit-first policy that has been in place for nearly four decades and reaffirmed by voters in 1999, 2007 and 2010. The report makes little mention of the city's reliance on revenue from parking fines and fees that generate more than $187 million a year that is pumped directly into the Muni transit system.

Some drivers in the city feel unfairly targeted and protective of the dwindling perks they have left. They cite several changes that chip away at their ability to navigate the streets of San Francisco. Examples include forcing drivers of private automobiles to turn right on eastbound Market Street at 10th and Sixth streets to reduce congestion and clear the streets for buses, and striping more bike lanes throughout the city to make the streets safer and more convenient for cyclists. The transportation agency also is preparing to install new meters in the northeast Mission, Dogpatch, Potrero Hill, the South of Market and Mission Bay, and has floated the idea of putting them on the streets around the zoo and adding more near San Francisco State University. Not to mention that the new meters in the South of Market and Mission Bay will take away the few free spaces near the Giants' waterfront ballpark and will operate to 10 p.m., seven days a week.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2012, 9:06 PM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTroubleMikeG View Post
All of this is making Bay Area transit more and more optimistic! The only thing that really gets me is that Geary Blvd. still has no decent form of transit, the buses aren't even trollies, they're just run-of-the-mill diesel articulating buses.
SFMTA is still in the planning phases for bus rapid transit (BRT) for the Geary Corridor. It's going to be a few years yet, but it will rock.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 8:06 PM
Only Mostly Dead

fflint posted about record ridership on CalTrain the other day. BART has similarly good news: 20th straight month of increased ridership. From our local CBS affiliate, Channel 5:

Quote:
BART Marks 20th Month Of Ridership Increases
August 10, 2012 11:45 AM

OAKLAND (KCBS) – One of the Bay Area’s largest transit agencies is becoming even busier. Bay Area Rapid Transit ridership was up nearly 7% in the latest fiscal quarter, compared to the same time period last year. That marks 20 consecutive months of growth in BART’s ridership.

“When more people are working, more people are commuting,” theorized transit agency spokesman Jim Allison. “Also the price of gasoline. We’ve had one increase in our fares over the last two-and-a-half years of 1.4%. You can’t say the same about gas prices.”
More at the link.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Aug 15, 2012, 8:53 PM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

BART announces direct Millbrae-Richmond service will be extended to 8pm, and that in the last fiscal year the agency carried an all-time record number of passengers:

BART expands weekday service on Richmond-Millbrae Line starting Sept. 10

BART will expand weekday service on the Richmond-Millbrae Line (red line) effective Monday, Sept. 10, 2012. In an effort to improve service at the end of the evening commute, BART is adding four additional trips to Richmond-Millbrae service in each direction. This line will now operate for one additional hour in each direction providing more service to both Richmond and Millbrae.

This service increase also helps passengers on other lines by increasing the number of trains serving San Francisco. The evening transition from five-route to three-route evening service will be more gradual as well. Today both the Richmond-Millbrae and Fremont-Daly City routes stop operating at around 7 pm. With this change the Fremont -Daily City line will still stop at 7pm while the more heavily used Richmond-Millbrae line will continue until 8pm. BART chose this service increase based on a thorough analysis of how to increase capacity in an economical way.

Until BART receives new vehicles in the coming years, the ability to add service requiring additional cars remains limited. BART operates one of the oldest fleets of train cars in the nation. We carried a record number of customers in our last fiscal year, exceeding 110 million for the first time in our 40-year history. We understand that our customers are experiencing more crowded trains as the regional economy improves. To maintain reliable service with our existing fleet of vehicles, a number of BART cars are always undergoing scheduled maintenance. On a typical day we operate more than 85% of our total fleet, which is among the highest of any major U.S. transit agency.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2012, 11:27 AM

So much great news for SF Bay Area transit, thanks guys.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2012, 6:39 PM
Sonoma Strong

Pictures of Santa Rosa, So. Co.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2012, 11:18 PM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

San Bruno: Elevated Caltrain tracks take shape above downtown

Bay City News Service
mercurynews.com
08/17/2012

SAN BRUNO -- A $147 million project to raise the Caltrain tracks 18 feet above three busy intersections in downtown San Bruno is about halfway completed, transit officials announced.

The San Bruno Grade Separation Project, which broke ground in November 2010, will elevate nearly a mile of Caltrain tracks above San Bruno, allowing multiple daily trains to pass safely above traffic and pedestrians on newly constructed bridges passing over intersections at San Bruno, San Mateo and Angus avenues.

Caltrain spokeswoman Christine Dunn said the change in downtown San Bruno is already dramatic, with bridges and support structures for the tracks reaching up into the skyline.

"I don't know if you've driven by in a while, but the change is dramatic," Dunn said. "You get a real sense of the project taking shape."

The reinforced concrete support structures sit atop a series of more than 300 steel pilings, some of which plunge more than 70 feet into the ground, Dunn said.

Given the busy nature of the location of the project, mitigating the effects of construction on traffic has been challenging, Dunn said.

The northern end of the project is adjacent to Interstate Highway 380, while the bridges are being constructed over San Bruno Avenue -- which connects to U.S. Highway 101 -- and San Mateo Avenue, which is one of the main surface streets that leads into to downtown San Bruno.

In addition, the new overhead tracks pass above BART's tracks to San Francisco International Airport.

Menawhile, Caltrain continues to operate 86 daily weekday trains through the area.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2012, 4:02 AM
TL;DR

And Palo Alto blows their top in 5... 4... 3... 2...

Old Posted Aug 18, 2012, 10:34 AM

That's great, I had no idea about the elevated tracks. Caltrain is really taking some nice steps forward lately.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2012, 11:47 AM
Greetings from New Jersey

Is this the beginning of the CAHSR grade separation?

Old Posted Aug 18, 2012, 11:47 AM

Does anyone know if Caltrain will try to have greater frequency once they are electrified?
Making it a true rapid transit line, if you know what I mean.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2012, 8:13 PM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Electrification and grade separation have been on Caltrain's agenda for a very long time, but yes, it is fair to say the new elevated track is a small part of what is necessary to run CAHSR on the corridor. If I had to, I would guess this particular project was in the works before the HSR plan, but I don't know for sure.

Caltrain does intend to increase frequency after electrification, but I don't think there's any specific plan in place yet.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2012, 2:38 AM

a little map a made showing all of the rail transit systems (and their published stops) operating in the bay area in the classic london style (all segments at 45/90 degrees, transfers between systems or separated lines with merged circles, etc). not to scale (i drew it to scale and then compressed to make as legible as possible given the high frequency of published stops for VTA rail and the Muni Metro's T line.

it's interesting how much more useful all this rail would be if it were a single system with relatively short headways.

i haven't attempted to color code the lines as other similar maps have done as i was mostly interested in the topology and density of the network. i've also shown lines which share tracks (most of bart, and the muni metro subway) as a single line. thus bart only becomes a pair of lines with transfer stations on the double-tracked segment through oakland.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2012, 3:55 AM
Sonoma Strong

^ nice work mthd.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2012, 5:20 PM
BANNED

so, how long from SF Zoo to Gilroy? lol

Old Posted Aug 28, 2012, 3:23 AM
Here we stAy

Just to be nitpicky, you missed the Berkeley and Emeryville stops on the Capitol Corridor.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2012, 1:37 PM

Looks pretty good, thanks for posting. No F train?

We need a map something like this in stations, it's long, long overdue. A lot of the Bay Area's transit is a treasure hunt.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2012, 3:09 AM

Great work! The gaping hole in NE portion of SF, namely the Richmond, is really evident in your map. Also, the lack of multiple transbay tunnels connecting the peninsula and East Bay, as well as a North Bay connection.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2012, 3:51 AM
Sonoma Strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
Great work! The gaping hole in NE portion of SF, namely the Richmond, is really evident in your map. Also, the lack of multiple transbay tunnels connecting the peninsula and East Bay, as well as a North Bay connection.
SMART puts a rail line in the North Bay, but the region really only has one trans-bay rail line. Your right, this map makes the many holes in our rail system (more) obvious.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2012, 5:39 AM

thanks for the comments everyone! fun little project.

i fixed the capitol corridor stations and tightened it up a tiny bit more. i added smart to one version but it extended the scale too much for legibility, and it isn't a system that has any connections to any other systems.

i'm on the fence about the f-line. it never has a dedicated right-of-way, doesn't have articulated vehicles, it's stops don't really have transfers to bart or the muni metro, they just happen to be nearby, etc etc. it's a grey area for sure.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation