HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Oct 27, 2010, 3:17 PM

Zones...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekkle View Post
Speaking of Green Lines, Portland's Green Line opened over the weekend. Here's the updated map...

http://www.trimet.org/maps/railsystem.htm
Atlanta has a one-fare system where a rider pays a one-way fare of $2.00 to board a train/bus with a free transfer to another bus.

How does Portland's zone system work?

Thanks

Old Posted Oct 27, 2010, 9:43 PM
zzzzzzzz

^ you can buy an all-zone, 2-hour pass (for bus or rail) for $2.35, or a 2-zone, 2-hour pass for $2.05. Or you can buy an all-day, all-zone pass for $4.75. A 2-zone pass is good for trips in 2-zones, so you're not supposed to use it to go from zone 1 to zone 3 - that would require an all-zones pass. If you pay cash on a bus when you board (instead of buying a ticket at a machine or something), you can get a transfer.

Trains & streetcars are free for trips beginning and ending in the "free rail zone" shown in yellow on the map above. It used to be free for buses, too, but they did away with that about a year ago because of budget problems.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2010, 1:34 AM

Old Posted Nov 2, 2010, 2:50 PM

I like how that Portland transit map has estimated time of commute.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2010, 7:05 PM

DART's new official map showing the full Green line (which will open on 12/6), the new Lake Highlands Blue line station and the rush hour Orange line operation...

www.dart.org

Old Posted Nov 10, 2010, 5:17 AM

I wish i could post something here, but as I live in madison, wi, we probably won't get the high speed rail and I doubt there will ever be a rail system here above or below ground. But, I could always dream of a subway in Madison. Not like it would make any sense.

We do have a nice bus system though.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2010, 8:09 AM

Man I would love to check out the new extension of the green line. I've been waiting for years for it to reach my cousin's home. I have used the bus to reach downtown, and then transfer over to rail to visit the north park mall or even Plano. Now I can take the train without the much dreaded bus ride.

I also won't need to borrow anyone car, or rent a car for the things I like to visit when I'm in town.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2010, 3:39 PM
Illustrator, editor

Citytunneln completed – Nightsky’s test trip!

Finally Citytunneln is completed after 5 years of construction and more then 20 years of planning in Malmö, Sweden’s 3rd largest city! It was inaugurated Saturday 4th December 2010 and the first test trips started on Sunday. Of course I was there on both occasions and took a lot of photos! For just 10 SEK you could buy a card valid for 5 days of test trips.

For those who don’t know Citytunneln is a train tunnel beneath Malmö, saving a lot of time (but not money, the cost ended in 8 500 000 000 SEK and the tickets will be much more expensive) for the passengers since the trains don’t have to drive all around the city. It is like an extension of the Öresundsbridge, the bridge between Malmö and Copenhagen. It is 17km long, of which 6km is a tunnel. There are 3 stations, in order: Centralstationen, Triangeln and Hyllie. Hyllie is the closest station to the bridge to Copenhagen. But since Triangeln is the closest station from where I live, I started there, went to the central station and then passed Triangeln on the way to Hyllie. The first trip, in order:

Station Triangeln South:

Triangeln’s citytunnel station has 2 entrances. This is the south entrance.

The artwork by Gunilla Klingberg called “Vardags Livets Mönster”. Strange spelling...

More art in Citytunneln; “Halo”, also by Gunill Klingberg, who also made “Alla i en i alla” below.

In my opinion Triangeln is the coolest of the stations with its 2 futuristic buildings. Some people compared the architecture to Dubai. They are a bit small on the outside (that disappointed me during the construction phase), but it is big underground.

Note the light rectangles that are constantly moving on the wall, adding a futuristic Star Wars feeling to the already futuristic architecture. It is called Spårsken.

The train is coming. The brand new modern “pågatåg” (Guys train in English).
“Pågatågen” are the regional trains of Skåne, all violet.

The first city tunnel trip. This is how the new “pågatåg” looks inside.

All my diagram drawings - more than 700!:
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?14670510

Old Posted Dec 10, 2010, 3:42 PM
Illustrator, editor

The central station (“Centralen”), the largest city tunnel station:

The main train station of Malmö has been completely reconstructed to be able to host the city tunnel and all its new passengers.

The Centralen station has TV displays, here showing Asian landscapes.

Glashallen, the new glass annex where you arrive when taking the escalator or elevator up.

The exterior of Glashallen, taken on another occasion.

A dance performance inside Glashallen.

The station building has been partly rebuilt and modernized inside.

The old part of the station building.

The new entrance of Malmö Centralstation.

The old entrance.

At the central station, we discovered that a lot of theatre people were hired to act and dress like “weird” people, old time people and weird beings. 

Back on the train again. Next: Hyllie!

Station Hyllie:

Hyllievång is the new district, taking place in the southwestern outskirts of Malmö, very close to the Öresund bridge. Some significant projects:

Hyllie Vattentorn, a futuristic water tower from 1973, used to be the landmark.

The new large Malmö Arena was completed in 2009 here.

Two 200m+ skyscrapers have been proposed here, but have been replaced by the 30-storey curvy highrise Point Hyllie, that will be Malmö’s 2nd tallest building after Turning Torso.

Emporia, that will become Scandinavia’s largest and most architecturally outstanding shopping mall is under construction here. It will have 220 stores!

A new hotel is proposed and approved, that will have a very different design.

A lot of new apartment buildings will be constructed.

A botanical garden is planned.

An alley is planned.

Svågertorp is located nearby, this station will soon be closed. The world’s 2nd largest IKEA has been built here as well as large home imporevement stores like Bauhaus, and many other kinds of large stores.

Hyllie station with the artwork “Minuten” above.

Emporia. Will be Scandinavias’s largest shopping mall with 220 stores.

The new square is taking place. Malmö Arena, Hyllie Vattentorn and Point Hyllie (will have 30 floors) are all futuristic buildings in the area.
A birch wood is planned on the square.

Malmö Arena was inaugurated in 2009. Concerts and sports events are taking place.

Artist making snow sculptures.

Point Hyllie, the lower section. The taller one will have 27 floors and be 95 m tall, second tallest after Turning Torso.

The nearby 60s commie block district Holma is a big contrast to the modern Hyllievång. (I thought it needed an effect).

Artists making sculptures.

The new parking garage with the logo of Malmö.

Inside Malmö Arena larges gingerbread houses were built. We also got free Christmas food, coffee and gingerbreads.

There was an exhibition about the area inside Malmö Arena. This is a model of future Hyllievång.

A temporary skating rink in Malmö Arena.

Malmö Arena.

Outside Malmö Arena.

Nice lights at the Hyllie Square.

The water tower, also called “the ufo” is light red around Christmas (otherwise blue).

The artwork with the roof above Hyllie Station is called “Minuten” and was designed by Kristina Matousch.

Time to take a ride back to Triangeln and then home.

Triangeln – North Station:

An artwork called “Lotus” in the north entrance.

A misspelling “Vardagslivets” is one word, not two! (Patterns of every day life)

Going out from Triangeln’s north entrance.

Some of the actors, playing strange creatures.

The Hilton hotel and Triangeln shopping mall was built in the late 80s. An extension of the mall as well as a new residential highrise.

A really impressive machine (with some kind of drill?).

The architecture of the north entrance. Much is planned for the area. Lightrail trams will probably drive here in the future, if everything goes according to plans.

Old buildings like the St Johannes Church are in the surroundings.

All my diagram drawings - more than 700!:
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?14670510

Old Posted Dec 10, 2010, 4:23 PM

Cool!.....

Old Posted Dec 10, 2010, 5:56 PM

Agreed. Very Nice Malmo!

Old Posted Dec 12, 2010, 6:04 PM

And the train drivers view

About the lightning, in this video the emergency lightning is lit so under normal operation the tunnel is much darker.

Video Link

Last edited by Gava; Aug 3, 2011 at 10:00 AM.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2011, 8:20 AM
TL;DR

That's the tunnel in Malmo?

Why does pretty much all new US transit architecture look like sh*t? The only decent station I've seen is World Trade Center on Boston's Silver Line.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2011, 7:55 AM
Resu Deretsiger

Here is Sacramento. Light Rail and Capitol Corridor included

Currently construction on the Airport/Natomas line ends at Richards Blvd, and the south line ends at meadowview with construction to CR College to start soon.

photo from http://files.myfolsom.com/map_sacrt.shtml

Old Posted Mar 29, 2011, 2:03 AM
Downtowner

Yea Malmo! I took the train from Copenhagen to Malmo before this was completed several years ago, wish I could have ridden on this very sexy!

Old Posted Apr 18, 2011, 1:53 PM
AK

Old Posted Apr 25, 2011, 2:49 PM

New York City-My Hometown

This photo was taken in Newark, New Jersey:

Old Posted May 4, 2011, 11:03 AM

Two lines of Vancouver's SkyTrain on a beautiful spring day | May 3rd 2011

Taken by SFUVancouver, May 3rd, 2011.

The older Mk1 train on the left has just come out of the "Grandview Cut" railway corridor and is pulling into VCC-Clark Station on the Millennium Line. The newer Mk2 train on the right is en route to Commercial Drive-Broadway Station and is cresting the very tallest section of track on the Expo Line and the entire network. Commercial Drive-Broadway Station has platforms at two levels, one within the Grandview Cut for the Millennium Line and the other is above street level for the Expo Line. Much further away on the system the Millennium Line merges with the Expo Line, resulting in an enormous 30+ kilometre loop for Millennium Line trains which alternate with Expo Line trains on the shared section of track. Therefore it is entirely possible that in this photo both trains are operating on the Millennium Line and the newer Mk2 train on the right may well pull into VCC-Clark Station on the left in about 45 minutes. A map should help with conceptualizing this.

Soure

Last edited by SFUVancouver; May 4, 2011 at 11:25 AM.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2011, 4:21 AM
恭喜发财!

Shanghai Metro - showing present, current construction, and future planning.

http://www.thetransportpolitic.com/w...-Metro-Map.jpg

Old Posted Jun 14, 2011, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gava View Post
And the complete trip from train drivers view

About the lightning, in this video the emergency lightning is lit so under normal operation the tunnel is much darker.

Video Link
Deleted...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation