HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Apr 10, 2010, 6:49 PM
Concerned Citizen

I read that article this morning and am glad to see the city sticking to the plan.

This is about the city and an opportunity to revitalize an area badly in need of revitalization. This is going to be more than just a stadium. It will have practice facilities and hopefully the velodrome. It will be a training centre once the games are over attracting people to the area year round. Maybe they could add a cooling system under the practice track and use it as a skating oval in the winter.

The Ti Cats are going to have to accept it or build their own stadium. I don't see them doing that. Maybe it's time they got on board and start doing something positive, rather than whining and complaining.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2010, 7:28 PM

Just finished filling out my season ticket survey and not surprisingly I don't think my answers were Confederation Park friendly. I also have to talk to my ticket rep on Monday and will express my displeasure at the Cats preference for Confederation Park or even worse Lafarge.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2010, 7:45 PM

Are there any plans to make the stadium more concert friendly? I don't know exactly what that entails, but I would think having a new stadium at the west harbour would be great for spring/summer concerts. Something along the lines of the Molson Ampitheatre in scope and attractions.

I'd hate to see the stadium sitting empty so often.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2010, 12:04 AM

Noticed and noted:

January 16, 2008: "Cat president Scott Mitchell conceded last night that some of the club's 16,000 season ticket holders are facing a 'significant jump' in prices."

April 7, 2010: "The Tiger-Cats are asking their 5,000 season's-ticket holders what they want in a new Pan Am Games stadium."

Assuming those numbers are legit, I can't wait to see how many are hanging in there after the 2015 adjustment.

Last edited by thistleclub; Apr 11, 2010 at 1:57 AM. Reason: Malformed URL tag

Old Posted Apr 11, 2010, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistleclub View Post
Noticed and noted:

January 16, 2008: "Cat president Scott Mitchell conceded last night that some of the club's 16,000 season ticket holders are facing a 'significant jump' in prices."

April 7, 2010: "The Tiger-Cats are asking their 5,000 season's-ticket holders what they want in a new Pan Am Games stadium."

Assuming those numbers are legit, I can't wait to see how many are hanging in there after the 2015 adjustment.
I am assuming that the numbers are not apples-to-apples. My guess is that the 16,000 refers to the number of purchased season tickets in 2008, while the 5,000 refers to the number of people who hold season tickets in their name in 2009/2010.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2010, 1:59 AM

I think you're right. The more recent article mentions those 5,000 holding about 10,000 seats. Still, an appreciable dip in the space of two years.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2010, 4:58 PM

Good on mayor Fred. But this LRT news really friggin sucks the bag.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2010, 8:15 PM

Strathcona Community Meeting re Pan Am Stadium
Monday, April 26 @ 7:00 p.m.
Hess Street School, 107 Hess Street North, Hamilton

A community meeting is being held to provide information about the proposed location of the Pan Am Stadium and to respond to questions. David Adames (Executive Director of Tourism Hamilton) will speak about the stadium and Brian Hollingsworth (IBI) will speak about the "West Harbour Stadium Site Transportation Impact Assessment".

Old Posted Apr 14, 2010, 11:15 AM
It's Hammer Time

Stadium site 'resolvable': Troop
Games CEO 'confident' of resolution

April 14, 2010
John Kernaghan
The Hamilton Spectator
http://www.thespec.com/News/Local/article/753205

The Pan Am Games CEO is bullish on a stadium solution for Hamilton despite some head-butting between the city and the Tiger-Cats.

"I'm optimistic that a good resolution is shaping up between our municipal partner and the Tiger-Cats, our legacy partner," Ian Troop said.

His comments follow a period in which the city and the Ticats seemed to move farther apart on the issue of stadium location.

Mayor Fred Eisenberger declared late last week the city is putting up the most money and will make the call on a stadium site, the west harbour location near Bay and Barton streets.

The Ticats and partners of the football club have stressed the site's limitations -- parking, road access and visibility -- diminished their ability to contribute to the stadium.

"I'm confident the partners will come together for the benefit of Hamilton," said Troop of the consulting process.

The football club is expected to submit its business plan for a stadium to city staff by the end of the month.

Sources close to the Pan Am planning process noted yesterday the government of Premier Dalton McGuinty was making it clear the stadium site was the city's call.

McGuinty led the campaign to win the Games based on the lack of sports and recreation facilities in the province and the opportunity for renewal projects like Hamilton's west harbour and Toronto's west Don lands, where the athlete's village will be built.

Hamilton is contributing $60 million for the $102-million, 15,000-seat track and field stadium, $11.4-million velodrome and the land they sit on for the Games.

The provincial and federal governments are chipping in almost $32 million each.

The Tiger-Cats and the private sector was asked to come up with up to $50 million to create a 25,000- to 30,000-seat stadium for football after the Games.

The football club has not revealed how much it would contribute to a larger facility.

Meantime, Toronto 2015 moved quickly this week to start the hunt for an agency to sell the Pan Am brand in Canada.

"I see it more as an opportunity than a challenge," Troop said. "We wanted to start as soon as we can to ramp up awareness about the Games."

He said the search is for creative minds to make the Games a compelling "can't-miss" event through a branding process that focuses on athletes and the cultural and arts events which will accompany the $1.4-billion Games.

An agency will be picked by late May to immediately begin the branding process.

Troop has also been connecting with national sports organizations to get their views on staging the Games in 17 municipalities from Niagara to Oshawa.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2010, 2:16 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
The football club is expected to submit its business plan for a stadium to city staff by the end of the month.
If their 'business plan' is based in any part on that ridiculous push poll they conducted, I hope staff tell them where they can stick it.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2010, 11:09 AM
It's Hammer Time

Residents back harbour site for stadium

April 27, 2010
John Kernaghan
The Hamilton Spectator
http://www.thespec.com/News/Local/article/759048

The Tiger-Cats took a hit and the Pan Am Games stadium site at the west harbour won plenty of support at a Strathcona community meeting last night.

"The Ticats are trying to hijack the stadium," said resident James Drake. "Can't we just build a Pan Am stadium (without them)?" he added as about 60 people at Hess Street School shared views and questions about the Bay and Barton streets stadium location. Drake noted Ticat management has been clear it doesn't see much revenue in the brownfield site.

Football club president Scott Mitchell has insisted the Ticats continue to work with the city to find ways to make it work.

David Adames, the city's Pan Am pointman, said the goal is "a sustainable stadium for the city and a sustainable Tiger-Cats."

The city called the public meeting as part of an information process that Adames says will accelerate over the next few months.

Hamilton is putting up $60 million for land in the west harbour, the stadium and velodrome. The province and federal governments are providing almost $32 million each for the facilities.

The Ticats were challenged to find partners to take the stadium from a $102-million facility for 15,000 people to a 25,000 to 27,000-seat stadium that would cost an extra $25 to $50 million. The football club is expected to submit a stadium business plan to city staff late this month or early in May.

Though the meeting was called to focus on transportation issues, the residents from Wards 1 and 2 took little issue with the IBI Group study that stressed public transit, walking and cycling access to the stadium.

Stadium design was a popular theme.

"I'm worried about an ugly barrier between the street and the waterfront," said Jennifer Dawson. "I worry about going cheap on the stadium and it becomes a blight, not a jewel."

Adames said the city is looking at ways to give residents a chance to weigh in on design and noted local and American design firms were already contacting Hamilton.

Responding to fears of going over budget, Adames and Ward 1 Councillor Brian McHattie stressed city council has drawn the line at $60 million from its Future Fund.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2010, 4:43 PM

It should be noted that the stadium site is not in Strathcona. Strathcona is adjacent to Central, the neighbourhood that encompassed the west harbour location.

As far as Strathcona residents' reported enthusiasm for this project, I'll reserve further comment until we hear their response to the widening of Barton West, Bay North and Locke North to accomodate traffic to the stadium site (one of the inevitable concessions needed to get the Ticats on board the project).

Old Posted Apr 28, 2010, 1:27 AM
Needs more coffee...

Hmm.. I think it's pretty much equal concern for both Strathcona and Central residents, since Queen Street is the dividing line? I don't live there, but I understand the impact it will have on that neighbourhood - and either way, McHattie lives a couple minutes away from the proposed stadium site, so I'm sure he understands very well the implications of the stadium being built on area residents.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2010, 11:19 AM
It's Hammer Time

Council (Ferguson really) found another 680 or so parking space. So that's 1280 parking spots now available for the stadium.

Quote:
According to Ferguson’s calculations, the location can accommodate about 680 parking spots, more than doubling the currently allocated 600 on-site spaces.

Interviewed later, Ferguson said extra parking is critical for his constituents.

“The people from Ancaster do not want to take public transit down to a football game and they do not want to park under Jackson Square and walk over,” he said.

“If we don’t give some more onsite parking, they simply won’t go.”

Old Posted Apr 30, 2010, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Council (Ferguson really) found another 680 or so parking space. So that's 1280 parking spots now available for the stadium.
Where are these extra parking spaces coming from anyways? Does that include the spots at Bayfront or what?

Old Posted Apr 30, 2010, 12:10 PM

Land the city owns across from the old Rheem factory. City staff was about to sell it off as surplus and Ferguson caught the oopsie before it happened.

Anyone else find it disturbing an/or ironic that council is promoting the retention (and incrementation) of surface parking area in the lower city?

Old Posted Apr 30, 2010, 2:43 PM
It's Hammer Time

Looks like the Harmony Apartments located at 245 Bay Street North will be protected. Perhaps a short term athletes or coaching residence.

Old Posted May 6, 2010, 3:07 PM

Ticats say no to west-harbour stadium

Ticats say no to west-harbour stadium
May 06, 2010
Wade Hemsworth
The Hamilton Tiger-Cats say that the west harbour site for a new football stadium will not work.

Ticats owner Bob Young told a private meeting of Tiger-Cats supporters this morning that the team could lose as much as $7 million a year if it were forced into the city-preferred west harbor option.

The Cats are asking the City of Hamilton for a 90-day moratorium on the stadium decision to look at other options.

After the meeting, Young explained there are at least three options that have not been full explored: One is the intersection of the QEW and the Red Hill Valley Parkway near Confederation Park; the second is “on the Hamilton side of Aldershot;” and the third is Chedoke Park, although Young acknowledged this site would be complicated because the land is under the protection of the Niagara Escarpment Commission.

Young said he considers the first to be the best of those option.

Outside the breakfast meeting, Young emphasized “failure is not an option” and said he plans to work closely with the city to find a successful resolution.

“David Braley (owner of the Argos and B.C. Lions) and I own these institutions that were in business for 100 years before we got involved, and we have a responsibility to make sure they’re still in business 100 years after we’ve been involved,” he said.

Hamilton is contributing $60 million for a $102-million, 15,000-seat track-and-field stadium, $11.4-million velodrome and the land they sit on for the 2015 Pan Am Games. The provincial and federal governments are chipping in almost $32 million each.

The Tiger-Cats and the private sector are being asked to come up with up to $50 million to create a 25,000- to 30,000-seat stadium for football after the Games.

Young said, “like any landlord, you’d better make sure your tenant is successful if you’re going to make your business successful.”

“I don’t know about you, I don’t know about Mr. Braley, but I sure don’t have $7 million a year to support the Tiger-Cats with.”

Young said the west harbour site is effectively landlocked.

It’s bordered by a residential neighbourhood that lacks sufficient roads to move fans in and out of football games and hemmed in by water, rail yards and the cliff at the High Level Bridge.

It also lacks visibility to make sponsorship feasible for the team and the city, he said.

whemsworth@thespec.com
905-526-3254

Old Posted May 6, 2010, 3:33 PM
Closed account

Bastards. They'll never get another cent of my money.

Old Posted May 6, 2010, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurnett71 View Post
The Cats are asking the City of Hamilton for a 90-day moratorium on the stadium decision to look at other options.

After the meeting, Young explained there are at least three options that have not been full explored: One is the intersection of the QEW and the Red Hill Valley Parkway near Confederation Park; the second is “on the Hamilton side of Aldershot;” and the third is Chedoke Park, although Young acknowledged this site would be complicated because the land is under the protection of the Niagara Escarpment Commission.

Young said he considers the first to be the best of those option.
The third isn't gonna happen, so it's not worth mentioning. The second is a knee-slapper that doesn't get around the fact that (a) both sides of Aldershot are in Burlington; and (b) the team would therefore have to wring $60 million from another city, one that's having enough fun with its own PanAm facility, which I think is currently mired in a appeal. So it's basically a single alternative that they're interested in, and it's the one council almost unanimously rejected a year ago. Some keen business minds at work over on Jarvis Street.

Funny that the Skyway was partly closed because of an accident this morning, as was the eastbound Linc yesterday. I know that those kinds of things rarely happen, but still a little comic.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton