HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 17, 2013, 5:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edluva View Post
No, I should have qualified brain drain to mean the skilled or educated class - the class of people who are most likely to make LA a better looking, more progressive, wealthier city. Don't get me wrong, there's still some vindication in size alone. Size means that LA has great stuff but you have to cut through a ton of lameness to find it. Other cities "get it" and are more consistently awesome.

So I'm no attacking our forumers perse, nor am I putting myself up high - I am an average guy with some privilege - highly educated, highly paid, and work in an industry with a really small footprint in LA (as most skilled labor tends to have here). I would like to see more educated people here; the kind of people who have a greater appreciation for urbanism, architecture, transit, etc. The kind of people who are more apt to "get it" as well. The kind of people who, in proportionately greater numbers, push the city to standards we all secretly know we want LA to meet. Every city has a prevailing vibe or culture. LA punches way below its weight for a city and it thinks small. That seems to be the theme here. Talks of ambitious projects falling to petty NIMBYism (see latest), small-time architecture, easy to impress public, failed great-fanfare bike plans, things being poorly conceived or carried out, unprofessionalism in general. The city of two steps back. The city of low capability. It just feels relatively easy to be a big-shot here.

yeah, the failed hollywood plan was a disappointment. we can't even get a fucking plan in hollywood. but we have continental crosswalks and somebody considers union station to be "great". Sorry, but I am not impresssed.
It's crazy to me that so many people hate on Edluva. Just incapable of stepping back and looking at your home objectively? If everyone expected / demanded better of LA we would get a better LA. This defeatist attitude of "you dont love it just move away!" is counterproductive.

Criticism - especially from someone as educated as Edluva - is key to a better future.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2013, 5:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterK View Post
It's crazy to me that so many people hate on Edluva. Just incapable of stepping back and looking at your home objectively? If everyone expected / demanded better of LA we would get a better LA. This defeatist attitude of "you dont love it just move away!" is counterproductive.

Criticism - especially from someone as educated as Edluva - is key to a better future.
It's not defeatist. It's living in reality. Many of us love Los Angeles for what it is. If we wanted something else, we'd move somewhere else. Get it? You guys are trying to make into something it will likely never be. So in reality, you're just wasting all of this energy. It's kind of silly really. I don't want to become a clone of SF, Chicago, or NYC. I'm fine with development being spread around.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2013, 5:56 AM

That new tower looks pretty awesome though. I look forward to seeing that thing go up.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2013, 6:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
It's not defeatist. It's living in reality. Many of us love Los Angeles for what it is. If we wanted something else, we'd move somewhere else. Get it? You guys are trying to make into something it will likely never be. So in reality, you're just wasting all of this energy. It's kind of silly really. I don't want to become a clone of SF, Chicago, or NYC. I'm fine with development being spread around.
Nobody is saying they want LA to be a clone of another city - that would be impossible with how far inland DTLA is and how spread out the nodes are. Those of us who understand how far behind the rest of the world LA is simply want it to be more like ::insert great city:: and less like ::insert 3rd world city:: For the betterment of everybody.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2013, 7:09 AM
BANNED

The stupidity of this amateur photographer is amusing.

There is something appealing about LA that other cities cannot come close to in comparison. As a resident of SF, I'm looking forward to coming home for the holidays. If I disliked SF, I wouldn't live here. If I disliked LA, I wouldn't go back. Is this hard for people to understand?

If you don't like LA...LEAVE! 'Cause trust me, nobody cares about what these losers think (this is the laughable part about this)..I can see them bouncing back and forth stomping their feet like silly school children: "I hate LA...I hate LA"

Old Posted Dec 17, 2013, 7:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterK View Post
Nobody is saying they want LA to be a clone of another city - that would be impossible with how far inland DTLA is and how spread out the nodes are. Those of us who understand how far behind the rest of the world LA is simply want it to be more like ::insert great city:: and less like ::insert 3rd world city:: For the betterment of everybody.
Not trying to start an argument, nor am I trying to start a debate or skyscraperpage war/beef, just trying to get your perspective without any sarcasm attached. I hear people compare L.A. to "3rd world cities" all the time, and its kind of annoying to see it on all the L.A. threads including the WG thread....so why do u feel at some times L.A. is more like a third world city ? ..............now since I actually have something to talk /ask about in regards to the thread we are actually on since I believe most of you guys have forgotten........ QUESTION ABOUT THE METRO ! has anyone else ever looked at an aerial view of century city using google maps, or is it just me , but my question is.... there aren't many empty lots in THAT area anymore.... especially when u pencil in the proposals and construction happening there.... so do you guys think development will get pushed back to downtown even more or will developers start developing mid Wilshire more and other nodes of the city... if you think about it... it looks like Hollywood is on fire right now just because of that reason... century city is built up already and surrounded by houses on most sides, a golf course on one side and a high school and more houses on the other.... now what ? it may be a totally random/stupid question.... but anything is better than the constant arguing and bickering between some of you guys about the same thing over and over again

Old Posted Dec 17, 2013, 2:32 PM

This "Love it or Leave it" was the same stance the neo-cons took in the Bush years, that made any criticism un-American and got us the Patriot Act and the Iraq War. Criticism can be constructive, and wanting something/someone to transform into something better is actually a way of showing your love and appreciation of their abilities and potential.

Having more people be critical and demand improvements in transportation, the LAUSD, infill developments will lead to more well-thought out strategies to address the concerns and problems that exist. It will get more people to feel invested and connected to city, and actually come out and take part in civic affairs.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2013, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XAVIERinSF View Post

There is something appealing about LA that other cities cannot come close to in comparison. As a resident of SF, I'm looking forward to coming home for the holidays. If I disliked SF, I wouldn't live here. If I disliked LA, I wouldn't go back. Is this hard for people to understand?

If you don't like LA...LEAVE! 'Cause trust me, nobody cares about what these losers think (this is the laughable part about this)..I can see them bouncing back and forth stomping their feet like silly school children: "I hate LA...I hate LA"
Anyone upset with bickering should take a look at XavierinSF's posts. His account was made for the sole reason of hating on people smarter than him whom he doesn't agree with. Unbelievable to me that the account isn't banned yet.

Last edited by ConstructDTLA; Dec 17, 2013 at 3:32 PM.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2013, 4:14 PM

I think LA is pretty great already, and can get even greater. It sounds like a lot of people just want downtown LA to look like Chicago. Which inherently would make it a "clone" of that city. I'm all for making downtown more lively, but that's not going to affect whether I consider it to be a world-class city or not. And since this is the METRO thread, and not the downtown thread, based on my experience with greater Chicago, New York, Boston, Dallas, and Washington, I have to say that LA is doing just fine.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2013, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XAVIERinSF View Post

Ever the cry of the small minded - "If you don't like the way I think then leave." Especially coming from a guy who left.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2013, 7:03 PM
:o

Both sides should probably relax. To some of you who rag on LA, it wouldn't kill you to tone down the hyperbole. And others need to stop being so offended over any criticism. Multiple rail lines are under construction right now because people wanted change. Los Angeles is a great city, but that doesn't mean there's no room for improvement.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2013, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
Both sides should probably relax. To some of you who rag on LA, it wouldn't kill you to tone down the hyperbole. And others need to stop being so offended over any criticism. Multiple rail lines are under construction right now because people wanted change. Los Angeles is a great city, but that doesn't mean there's no room for improvement.
I’m no sunshine pumper, but I certainly don’t dislike LA (that’s why I came back after college and still live here). And never has anyone said that LA doesn't have any room for improvement, that's a complete straw man put forward by people who don't appreciate when others push back against their incessant negativity.

It’s not so much being offended, as it is just tiresome, rehashing the same BS all the time. As if we haven’t heard the same complaints for hundreds of pages now. Basically these people won’t shut up until every cracked sidewalk is repaved.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2013, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelseaFC View Post
I’m no sunshine pumper, but I certainly don’t dislike LA (that’s why I came back after college and still live here). And never has anyone said that LA doesn't have any room for improvement, that's a complete straw man put forward by people who don't appreciate when others push back against their incessant negativity.

It’s not so much being offended, as it is just tiresome, rehashing the same BS all the time. As if we haven’t heard the same complaints for hundreds of pages now. Basically these people won’t shut up until every cracked sidewalk is repaved.
Its not what you say, its how you say it. I never had a problem with EdLuva pointing out the areas where LA could use some improvement. But his presentation is always hyperbolic, critical of LA residents (not just the built environment) and egotistical.

There's a big difference in saying:

LA really needs to get past these cheap, 7-story stucco buildings.

and

The reason LA is and always will be a dump is because residents are too stupid and not well-traveled enough to know that 7-story stucco buildings are crap.

The first is observational, the 2nd is inflammatory and judgmental.

Please follow on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram

Old Posted Dec 17, 2013, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
Not trying to start an argument, nor am I trying to start a debate or skyscraperpage war/beef, just trying to get your perspective without any sarcasm attached. I hear people compare L.A. to "3rd world cities" all the time, and its kind of annoying to see it on all the L.A. threads including the WG thread....so why do u feel at some times L.A. is more like a third world city ? ..............now since I actually have something to talk /ask about in regards to the thread we are actually on since I believe most of you guys have forgotten........ QUESTION ABOUT THE METRO ! has anyone else ever looked at an aerial view of century city using google maps, or is it just me , but my question is.... there aren't many empty lots in THAT area anymore.... especially when u pencil in the proposals and construction happening there.... so do you guys think development will get pushed back to downtown even more or will developers start developing mid Wilshire more and other nodes of the city... if you think about it... it looks like Hollywood is on fire right now just because of that reason... century city is built up already and surrounded by houses on most sides, a golf course on one side and a high school and more houses on the other.... now what ? it may be a totally random/stupid question.... but anything is better than the constant arguing and bickering between some of you guys about the same thing over and over again
ummm . . . what?

Old Posted Dec 17, 2013, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
Its not what you say, its how you say it. I never had a problem with EdLuva pointing out the areas where LA could use some improvement. But his presentation is always hyperbolic, critical of LA residents (not just the built environment) and egotistical.

There's a big difference in saying:

LA really needs to get past these cheap, 7-story stucco buildings.

and

The reason LA is and always will be a dump is because residents are too stupid and not well-traveled enough to know that 7-story stucco buildings are crap.

The first is observational, the 2nd is inflammatory and judgmental.
This post is perfect. This exactly what I mean. There is absolutely nothing wrong with being critical of projects and not liking every project. Projects should be looked at critically. Some of these people take it too far though. They get frustrated and take it out on the people that love the city by trying to put us down with their constant negativity and back-handed comments. That's a line that shouldn't be crossed. They use that second example more frequently than the first one.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2013, 12:03 AM

We haven't seen the Vermont here for a little bit, so I thought I'd show some progress they've made on the podium. It looks like most of the bottom 3 floors facing Wilshire Boulevard will get some glass, and some decorative panels are going up on the floors above that. The picture is from a couple of days ago.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2013, 12:44 AM

If they cover that podium, it will dramatically improve this project. lets hope the glass keeps on climbing up. thanks for the update

Old Posted Dec 18, 2013, 1:01 AM
Paramoderator

Wow, I actually really like the glass they used. Not a terrible filler project for a developing part of Wilshire.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2013, 3:36 AM

Add me to the list. Dramatic improvement over the bare podium. As long as podiums don't stick out completely and can be blended into the project, they aren't such a bad thing.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2013, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
There is absolutely nothing wrong with being critical of projects and not liking every project. Projects should be looked at critically. Some of these people take it too far though. They get frustrated and take it out on the people that love the city by trying to put us down with their constant negativity and back-handed comments.
I rarely post in this thread since my curiosity about new devlpt in LA tends to peter out the further removed it is from dtla....although I still consider nice devlpt throughout LA to be interesting & important.

What is fascinating to me is how a particular forumer....who shall go unnamed....& who I consider the essence of a troll, & who once personal messaged me a weirdly snotty comment....should be so happy bashing LA & its ppl & then turn around & react with such indignation towards some of my comments about the city. Comments, btw, that I think reflect the opinions of far more ppl than not....of the typical, average person, who either lives in LA or is visiting it....& not just fanboys & fangirls of obscure urban concepts or vague or overly generalized ideas on urbanism, or highrise devlpt.

I figure when I create resentment in anti LA trolls, or their defenders, I must be on the right track.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations