HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 16, 2012, 7:35 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ It dwarfs the neighbors to the immediate west (and south of San Vicente/Burton), but it's not completely out of scale for the neighborhood. The building where that picture was taken from is far taller (10-12 stories), and is effectively across the street, though it is a big street, so it "feels" further away. Go north one more block and you have both the Beverly Center and the new Cedars Sinai tower, both of which are taller. Go a half block south, and you have the SLS Hotel, which is 8 stories or so. So it actually fits in pretty well with it's surroundings.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Feb 17, 2012, 12:12 AM
Paramoderator

Aaaaaand.... more construction. Yay! So, in Santa Monica, a huge complex has broken ground, one with heights of up to 10 stories. It is... The Village! This has been in the wings since around 2006, so it is great for it to break ground now.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2012, 12:19 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

^ Where is that?

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Feb 17, 2012, 12:24 AM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westsidelife View Post
^ Where is that?
It's on Ocean next to the new park they are building.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2012, 3:26 AM

Here's a Curbed article about it:
Work Starts Today at Big Mixed-Use The Village at Santa Monica

You gotta love Santa Monica.

As an aside, here's an ode to what would become 3rd Street Promenade.
Now a Barnes and Noble, here's what was once a Ralphs on the SE corner of 3rd and Wilshire, circa 1940:

LAPL

Criterion Theater on what will become the 3rd Street Promenade, 1949. The building still exists.

Vintage LA collection

Circa 1966

Vintage LA collection

Sorry, I'm really obsessed with the LA area's past. OK, back on topic.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
^ It dwarfs the neighbors to the immediate west (and south of San Vicente/Burton), but it's not completely out of scale for the neighborhood. The building where that picture was taken from is far taller (10-12 stories), and is effectively across the street, though it is a big street, so it "feels" further away. Go north one more block and you have both the Beverly Center and the new Cedars Sinai tower, both of which are taller. Go a half block south, and you have the SLS Hotel, which is 8 stories or so. So it actually fits in pretty well with it's surroundings.
If anything that project is not tall enough for the area. I envision it with 20-40 stories. Still considering the economy and NIMBYS its not a bad design either it just needs to be taller.

Last edited by RST500; Feb 18, 2012 at 7:25 PM.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 7:06 PM
BANNED

Quote:
As you say, not with its immediate neighbors to the west and south, which are right across narrow residential streets. I'm not saying it was a bad idea to permit it, but it is a big shadow over it's closest neighbors and I'm not sure WeHo would have allowed it.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 7:14 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RST500 View Post
INBYS

If anything that project is not tall enough for the area. I envision it with 20-40 stories. Still considering the economy and NIMBYS its not a bad design either it just needs to be taller.
Where is there 40 story residential in that area? Or 20? There are single famly homes within a block and most apartments are 2-4 story. The tallest buildings in the area are about 10 stories at Cedars, and they have NO housing surrounding them, not even apartments.

Forty story may be OK in Ktown or DT or Hollywood, but it isn't even in the discussion here.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 7:18 PM
BANNED

Circa 1966

Vintage LA collection

Sorry, I'm really obsessed with the LA area's past. OK, back on topic.[/QUOTE]

Great pictures. I can remember those days. When first developed, 3rd St. was a colossal flop, in spite of money poured in. Businesses went broke and the street people outnumbered shoppers for at least a decade. It wasn't until much later that it started to catch on, when the trend to urban living started and the westside continued to boom with jobs and denser housing.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 7:45 PM
BANNED

Just walked past wilshire+Vermont today and a crane is set up on the site now.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by all of the trash View Post
Just walked past wilshire+Vermont today and a crane is set up on the site now.

Thanks for the update!

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 11:14 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ That's great news.

On another front, here are some model pics of the 8-story Selma & Vine office tower from Gensler's offices downtown. They have a model display window in the underground shopping area with some studies and models of real projects. Pictures taken with my phone and shaky hands after working a bit too hard at the gym, so take the quality with a grain of salt. And a shot of tequila.

"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Old Posted Feb 19, 2012, 1:16 AM
Paramoderator

Quote:
^ That's great news.

On another front, here are some model pics of the 8-story Selma & Vine office tower from Gensler's offices downtown. They have a model display window in the underground shopping area with some studies and models of real projects. Pictures taken with my phone and shaky hands after working a bit too hard at the gym, so take the quality with a grain of salt. And a shot of tequila.
I actually love this building. Just simple, nice, glassy infill, and a perfect density. Do they have any other models of any other buildings?

Old Posted Feb 19, 2012, 2:51 AM
Good Grief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post

Is this the Wilshire/Vermont project where the crane was seen?

Can someone confirm this project is under construction?

Old Posted Feb 19, 2012, 4:01 AM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownCharlieBrown View Post
Is this the Wilshire/Vermont project where the crane was seen?

Can someone confirm this project is under construction?
Yes, this would be the project on Wilshire and Vermont that is supposedly under construction.

Also:

Wow! You're back! I haven't seen you post in a loooong time. Is there any chance, since you are active again, that you could move some of the buildings that are 'Under Construction' according to Page 1 into recently completed? The Century, Beverly West, The Red Building, The Avenue, and 3429 W. Olympic Blvd are all completed. Thanks, and welcome back.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2012, 4:13 AM

There has indeed been a crane at Wilshire/Vermont for the past few days, though it doesn't look like there's any sort of site prep just yet. It was mentioned a few pages ago I think that construction is expected in April.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2012, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muji View Post
There has indeed been a crane at Wilshire/Vermont for the past few days, though it doesn't look like there's any sort of site prep just yet. It was mentioned a few pages ago I think that construction is expected in April.
I wouldn't think that they would have a crane there if they didn't intend to use it directly. It's fairly expensive.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2012, 7:20 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Quote:
Do they have any other models of any other buildings?
They have a lot of models - including a study of the entrance to the now-completed Ritz Carlton/Marriot Hotel - but the vast majority of models are studies, not actual projects. The Vine & Selma one is the only one I recognized.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2012, 11:38 PM
BANNED

Quote:
^ That's great news.

Could be very nice. Reminds me of a simpler and shorter version of 560 Mission St in SF. A highly regarded work with a nice plaza next to it. But it's hard to tell about the detail for Vine/Selma from what we have so far.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2012, 12:38 AM
Good Grief

Quote:
Yes, this would be the project on Wilshire and Vermont that is supposedly under construction.

Also:

Wow! You're back! I haven't seen you post in a loooong time. Is there any chance, since you are active again, that you could move some of the buildings that are 'Under Construction' according to Page 1 into recently completed? The Century, Beverly West, The Red Building, The Avenue, and 3429 W. Olympic Blvd are all completed. Thanks, and welcome back.

Thanks Illithid Dude!

New job hasn't left me much free time, but I do check in here regularly.

Completed projects removed from page 1:
Century
Beverly West
The Red Building
The Avenue
3429 W. Olympic Blvd

If anyone has a good picture of any of the completed projects above, please post it so i can update post #2 on page 1.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations