HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 29, 2011, 5:15 AM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_M_Tungsten View Post
Pretty cool looking. Just wondering, does anyone think it will look dated relatively quickly? It seems that if this were in another city, it would be dated looking quickly, but because it's L.A., it will be bad ass for many a year!
All architecture becomes dated eventually. You just have to enjoy it until it becomes so.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2011, 6:17 AM

On the other hand, the 7th Street Wockano is a well-located, Zagat-rated eatery that serves 'til 2 a.m. seven days a week and is an up-market, late night alternative to Denny's and IHOP. The downtown we aspire to would have at least a dozen-or-so more of such.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2011, 7:55 AM

Edluva's trippin. Sugarfish, Mas Malo, Bottega, Soi 7 are all within the same 100 feet and all are very good, unique restaurants. Plenty of high end stuff on Flower, from Rivera and Palm near Staples, to Drago Centro and Chaya in the business district, and then you can add in all the restaurants on Fig from Roys to Mortons. For off the wall, newer concepts, we can look at Spring St with Gorbals and 6th street which has some good stuff coming up.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2011, 10:03 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
What is that point exactly? why are you using Wokano as an example when their are dozens of highly rated, nationally recognized, unique restaurants throughout Downtown that you could have picked instead?
downtown is not an interesting neighborhood. it's more of a theme-restaurant destination, where lots of hipsters and crappy DIY art galleries happen to also reside. the use of wockano highlights the former point. sure there are better (fusion) restaurants, but whatever - aside from a couple pricey restaurants, you're basically trying to distinguish between the fords and lincolns of fine dining here.

that's not to say these places don't serve tasty food, or that there's no good food downtown. there's plenty of good run-of-the-mill ethnic (particularly the sashimi bars on 2nd). it's just not a "restaurant scene", and this kind of food can be found (and often is, literally as another carbon-copy branch) in may other parts of LA. btw, it seems angelenos (see LASF's post above) like to take pride on their take of fusion, which is rather weak. for example, throw a couple traditionally non-mexican garnishes into a mexican dish and voila, it's fusion to angelenos how well travelled are we to think such ridiculous things? the next thing you'll tell me is wurstkuche is authentic german.

and i don't get what you mean by "nationally recognized". please explain

LASF - next time you're in SF, visit mr pollo, where the menu changes on a nightly basis, or range, or delfina, or flour + water, or dozens of other hidden gems in the mission, where decor actually takes a backseat to the chef's vision, (and you don't have to dress up or valet as you would with many of LAs "finer" establishments) and then come back and tell me how "unique" your recommendations are.

that's precisely the difference - really good restaurants are few and (literally) far between in LA, and where they do occur, they tend to be exhorbitively priced, a fuss to dine at, and for occasions (eg. bridal showers, anniversaries, etc) in other cities, they're a dime a dozen, and you go there to eat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
Because it doesn't fit your "downtown sucks and anyone who disagrees must not have good taste" narrative?
generally speaking, angelenos do have somewhat inferior taste overall. it isn't genetic of course, but rather the result of ignorance. i should probably rephrase your question to: anyone who disagrees must be an angeleno forumer and booster. it only makes sense that we are poorer, less educated, less urban, and probably less traveled than denizens of most other urban cities in the western world. did you not get that from my dozens of other posts?

Last edited by edluva; Nov 29, 2011 at 11:00 AM.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2011, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edluva View Post
downtown is not an interesting neighborhood.
Your feeling is entirely subjective. In fact most of what you said in your last post is subjective. Even what you said about Mr. Pollo.

And, when you make generalizations about Angelenos, do you include yourself in those generalizations?

Which brings me to my next question; I don't know much about you, and you maybe have mentioned it before, but, are you a transplant?

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Nov 29, 2011, 6:48 PM
BANNED

This seems like a dead-end. SF has many good and interesting restaurants. LA has them as well, and DT has its share. We should probably stick to informing each other of new and interesting places and otherwise not get into city vs. city.

btw, for those who don't like DT's restaurants you can say so without referencing other cities.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2011, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edluva View Post
downtown is not an interesting neighborhood. it's more of a theme-restaurant destination, where lots of hipsters and crappy DIY art galleries happen to also reside. the use of wockano highlights the former point. sure there are better (fusion) restaurants, but whatever - aside from a couple pricey restaurants, you're basically trying to distinguish between the fords and lincolns of fine dining here.

that's not to say these places don't serve tasty food, or that there's no good food downtown. there's plenty of good run-of-the-mill ethnic (particularly the sashimi bars on 2nd). it's just not a "restaurant scene", and this kind of food can be found (and often is, literally as another carbon-copy branch) in may other parts of LA. btw, it seems angelenos (see LASF's post above) like to take pride on their take of fusion, which is rather weak. for example, throw a couple traditionally non-mexican garnishes into a mexican dish and voila, it's fusion to angelenos how well travelled are we to think such ridiculous things? the next thing you'll tell me is wurstkuche is authentic german.

and i don't get what you mean by "nationally recognized". please explain

LASF - next time you're in SF, visit mr pollo, where the menu changes on a nightly basis, or range, or delfina, or flour + water, or dozens of other hidden gems in the mission, where decor actually takes a backseat to the chef's vision, (and you don't have to dress up or valet as you would with many of LAs "finer" establishments) and then come back and tell me how "unique" your recommendations are.

that's precisely the difference - really good restaurants are few and (literally) far between in LA, and where they do occur, they tend to be exhorbitively priced, a fuss to dine at, and for occasions (eg. bridal showers, anniversaries, etc) in other cities, they're a dime a dozen, and you go there to eat.

generally speaking, angelenos do have somewhat inferior taste overall. it isn't genetic of course, but rather the result of ignorance. i should probably rephrase your question to: anyone who disagrees must be an angeleno forumer and booster. it only makes sense that we are poorer, less educated, less urban, and probably less traveled than denizens of most other urban cities in the western world. did you not get that from my dozens of other posts?
you are just a hater with a negative attitude towards LA, and Downtown in general. You can never see anything positive, but thats just the way you are. ive traveled all over the world and take pride in going to authentic, one of a kind restaurants and Downtown LA does very well in this regard. Yes, we could still use more, but to say that Downtown LA is not a food scene is just wrong.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2011, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
you are just a hater with a negative attitude towards LA, and Downtown in general. You can never see anything positive, but thats just the way you are. ive traveled all over the world and take pride in going to authentic, one of a kind restaurants and Downtown LA does very well in this regard. Yes, we could still use more, but to say that Downtown LA is not a food scene is just wrong.
Today I learned that Edluva is not a foodie.

Please follow on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 3:24 AM
BANNED

I understand Districtdirt and BrighamYen are being paid to be enthusiastic about LA but the rest of you really need to stop wrapping up your egos in the city. I disagree with edluva but I don't feel all personally hurt by his opinion as some of you seemingly are

also can we ban the word 'foodie' from existence

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 3:24 AM

I drop by this forum on occasion hoping to see something new about projs like blvd 6200.

more of this, please.....

blvd6200.com

less of this, thank you...

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 3:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by all of the trash View Post
I understand Districtdirt and BrighamYen are being paid to be enthusiastic about LA but the rest of you really need to stop wrapping up your egos in the city. I disagree with edluva but I don't feel all personally hurt by his opinion as some of you seemingly are

also can we ban the word 'foodie' from existence
What an odd comment. so i should censor myself because i don't have a blog or city job?

either way, who cares. its good for edluva to have his own options, more power to him. i agree with some things he says and disagree with most, but when he tries to state his opinions as fact and generalizes about the city i live in, you bet im gonna comment.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 4:31 AM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by all of the trash View Post
I understand Districtdirt and BrighamYen are being paid to be enthusiastic about LA but the rest of you really need to stop wrapping up your egos in the city.
Paid? To like Los Angeles? I know this is shocking, but some people are able to like L.A. even without monetary incentives.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2011, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownCharlieBrown View Post
Welcome to the Los Angeles Metro thread covering the developments outside of downtown.

Could someone please update these projects.

Last edited by RST500; Dec 6, 2011 at 5:04 AM.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2011, 8:37 PM

are you serious with these posts? what do you think these threads are?

Old Posted Dec 6, 2011, 2:19 AM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RST500 View Post
Could someone please update these projects.
Wow. I didn't realize you did the same exact thing for the L.A. Metro thread. Someone delete this posts, and give this guy a warning.... OR EDIT YOUR OWN POST SO I DON'T HAVE TO SCROLL THROUGH THE FRONT PAGE EVERY TIME I WANT TO LOOK AT PEOPLE ACTUALLY PARTAKING IN CONSTRUCTIVE DISCUSSION

Old Posted Dec 6, 2011, 2:40 AM

Internet fail.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2011, 5:21 PM

are there any big projects in Long Beach or Orange County?
it look like Southern California stop all constructions

Old Posted Dec 6, 2011, 7:45 PM

Old Posted Dec 6, 2011, 8:17 PM
Ascension

Yay! News from my neck of the woods (I live a block away from this).

Quote:
Word out of last night's Culver City city council meeting is that the council unanimously picked developers Combined Properties and Hudson Pacific Properties to build on the city's Parcel B in downtown. Four developers had proposed projects for the site (see them all here), which is already entitled for a three-story, 115,000 square foot retail and office development with 84 underground parking spaces. Ehrlich Architects is in charge of design for Combined/Hudson's project. The Grand Stair is meant to take advantage of the site's views and was inspired by New York's High Line park, the Spanish Steps in Rome, and DC's Lincoln Memorial steps, according to the group's proposal. Their plan includes perimeter-circling retail and that stairway leading up to 15,000 square feet of open space on an elevated plaza. The plaza will have "free Wi-Fi, outdoor dining, water features, and landscaped areas where people will be able to congregate, relax, and take in the views of Culver Studios, the Culver Hotel and Downtown."

According to the proposal, the Washington Blvd. side of the project will complement the adjacent Trader Joe's--the developers hope to draw a gourmet marketplace, an arts/crafts/paper products store, and an exercise studio. On Culver Blvd., they imagine a "primary retail district" with apparel, shoes, accessories, coffee, a blowdry bar or nail salon, and a focus on "'unique' nationals, locals, and independent brands." On the Culver Studios side, they propose outdoor dining with "the feel of San Francisco's Belden Alley." They're hoping to draw a gelato shop, a bakery, a sandwich place, and a lounge.
http://la.curbed.com/archives/2011/1...own_parcel.php

Old Posted Dec 7, 2011, 5:12 PM
BANNED

Can't really complain about the CC choice. It's a solid basic structure that allows changes in it's function and look based on how its furished and decorated. I assume greenery and shade will be coming along.

The key is to get about 2k housing units in the immediate area. The shopping and dining are already pretty solid.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations