HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Jun 19, 2021, 1:21 AM
BANNED

Air traffic betwen Calgary and Edmonton

Pre pandemic, for all carriers, does anyone know the number of planes that would go between the 2 airports? Also, the size of those aircraft?

Old Posted Jun 23, 2021, 6:39 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

hollywoodcory will know - guess you just have to wait until he discovers this thread.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2021, 9:57 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
hollywoodcory will know - guess you just have to wait until he discovers this thread.
Any way to get him to discover it faster?

Old Posted Jun 23, 2021, 10:28 PM

Post a link in the yyc thread and tell him to come here.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2021, 11:17 PM

I don't have numbers, but there are a few things to consider. Calgary has YYC and YBW (Springbank), and Edmonton has YEG, and ZVL (Villeneuve). I work at YYC so just for YYC you have Westjet, Westjet Encore, Jazz, Central Mountain Air, Flair, Sunwing going to YEG from the main terminal. Some like Sunwing might not sell tickets, but for physical flights that's what you have from the terminal. Cargo has Cargojet 757/767, Sunwest SW4 (Metroliner). Oilpatch charters have Canadian North, Flair (in the past), Summit, Central Mountain, Sunwest, North Caribou plus many more flying from their hangers and FBOs up to YEG. Then there's corporate traffic from every outfit based at YYC and more. These are dozens of aircraft and range from a BE20 up to a B737. There are medevacs as well, mostly flown by Canwest using BE20s

The thing is most aviation companies in Alberta are based in YYC. So if someone in YEG wants a charter flight they often have to fly from YYC to YEG to start the charter. So Canadian North doing a flight from YEG up to the oil patch or NWT will start in YYC, fly to YEG then start their charter from there. But for us ATC, a plane is a plane, whether it's full or empty.

Ballpark I'd say 40-60 flights a day depart YYC for YEG, and the same coming back.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2021, 3:40 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
I don't have numbers, but there are a few things to consider. Calgary has YYC and YBW (Springbank), and Edmonton has YEG, and ZVL (Villeneuve). I work at YYC so just for YYC you have Westjet, Westjet Encore, Jazz, Central Mountain Air, Flair, Sunwing going to YEG from the main terminal. Some like Sunwing might not sell tickets, but for physical flights that's what you have from the terminal. Cargo has Cargojet 757/767, Sunwest SW4 (Metroliner). Oilpatch charters have Canadian North, Flair (in the past), Summit, Central Mountain, Sunwest, North Caribou plus many more flying from their hangers and FBOs up to YEG. Then there's corporate traffic from every outfit based at YYC and more. These are dozens of aircraft and range from a BE20 up to a B737. There are medevacs as well, mostly flown by Canwest using BE20s

The thing is most aviation companies in Alberta are based in YYC. So if someone in YEG wants a charter flight they often have to fly from YYC to YEG to start the charter. So Canadian North doing a flight from YEG up to the oil patch or NWT will start in YYC, fly to YEG then start their charter from there. But for us ATC, a plane is a plane, whether it's full or empty.

Ballpark I'd say 40-60 flights a day depart YYC for YEG, and the same coming back.
Thank you for the information. I should have been more specific. I am looking for the passenger service on regular scheduled routes. This does give me a good start.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2021, 4:40 AM

About 14 a day between Encore and Jazz. I’m sure Central Mountain Air sold tickets but it was part of continuing service to places like High Level and Lloydminster.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2021, 4:46 AM
BANNED

Quote:
About 14 a day between Encore and Jazz. I’m sure Central Mountain Air sold tickets but it was part of continuing service to places like High Level and Lloydminster.
So, about 600 a day?

Old Posted Jun 24, 2021, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post
So, about 600 a day?
Sorry I don't follow, I guessed 14 a day. Do you mean 600 seats per day? The planes are Q400s which have 74 seats, so it would be around 1000 seats per day if that's what you wondered?

Old Posted Jun 24, 2021, 3:21 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Sorry I don't follow, I guessed 14 a day. Do you mean 600 seats per day? The planes are Q400s which have 74 seats, so it would be around 1000 seats per day if that's what you wondered?
Yes, seats. I was looking at the Rouge(Jazz seems to have faded away) and Encore on Wikipedia and they had about 44 seats and 47 seats in their larger planes. So, 600-1000 seats a day, each way?

Old Posted Jun 24, 2021, 3:31 PM

Here's Jazz's wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jazz_(airline)

Not sure where you have those 44-47 numbers, but it was basically all Q400's flying between YEG and YYC which Wiki says is 78 seats. Jazz would occasionally use a Dash 8-300 at 50 passengers, but it was largely Q400's

Old Posted Jun 24, 2021, 9:28 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Here's Jazz's wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jazz_(airline)

Not sure where you have those 44-47 numbers, but it was basically all Q400's flying between YEG and YYC which Wiki says is 78 seats. Jazz would occasionally use a Dash 8-300 at 50 passengers, but it was largely Q400's
I mistakenly picked Air Canada Jetz. That is why I ignored it. Thank you for helping clarify things.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia