HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 12:24 AM

80 John St N | 97m | 2 x 30 fl |Proposed

There is a proposed development going to DRP on December 10 at this address. This is behind the development that is adjacent to the new https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=229309 Rebecca/John park. This lot is currently a parking lot kitty corner to the https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=239353

Google Maps: https://maps.app.goo.gl/u88Jca9kNjpFr4vV6

I will update once I see something.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Last edited by TheRitsman; Dec 1, 2020 at 1:13 AM.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 12:28 AM

Not Lot#42! That's one of my favourites. You could literally build a small village across the Lots of Wilson.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 4:41 AM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftbeerdad View Post
Not Lot#42! That's one of my favourites. You could literally build a small village across the Lots of Wilson.
I am still hoping something amazing happens to the parking lot behind alectra building - THAT parking lot is one of the biggest, if not THE biggest one.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
I am still hoping something amazing happens to the parking lot behind alectra building - THAT parking lot is one of the biggest, if not THE biggest one.
The totality of 80 John and 71 Rebecca is the same size it looks on a map. Though the parking lot behind electra is a single property which, would yes be larger.

I'm quite excited by 80 John St, 71 Rebecca and John and Wilson filling in. It will create an entire community there and streetscape of commercial and residential where there is currently nothing. I don't have faith the design will look great though, as the developer has a bunch of plain condos in Sauga.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 2:27 AM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
The totality of 80 John and 71 Rebecca is the same size it looks on a map. Though the parking lot behind electra is a single property which, would yes be larger.

I'm quite excited by 80 John St, 71 Rebecca and John and Wilson filling in. It will create an entire community there and streetscape of commercial and residential where there is currently nothing. I don't have faith the design will look great though, as the developer has a bunch of plain condos in Sauga.
It's about damn time - I have long tired of this sea of parking lots area.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 7:18 PM

I hope whoever moves in demands a better park than the one they just built.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2020, 2:22 PM

From NRU today. 2 x30s, 9s podium. 619 units, 1,763 square metres of retail.

Rental building. Architect is mcCallumSather.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2020, 4:14 PM

I have the entire presentation coming my way Friday from DRP as well.

For those interested that is 19,000sqft of retail. Which is great. I'd still like to see office space built in these types of towers in the floor above retail so night life can continue to expand, but I am glad to see much needed wider sidewalks. Hopefully the building has lower parking requirements and public parking below.

Also for anyone confused the view of the above sketch is from Wilson street looking east, so the Rebecca Street development would be to the right of this building. I'm surprised this sketch doesn't show that building and the one kitty corner, however maybe the more official massing or renders will have this.

I've got to say, I'm quite pleased that this entire area of parking has proposed development now, especially rentals.

With the 71 Rebecca St proposal, there will be nearly 30,000sqft proposed commercial for this block, and over 1000 new units translating to likely 1500 people living on a previous parking lot, and 2 blocks from James.

Last edited by TheRitsman; Dec 9, 2020 at 7:05 PM.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2020, 8:12 PM

Of the three major proposals at this intersection, dare I say this group seems to have the most promising chance of pulling through, or at least doing so fastest? I don't have much faith in Jvnd kitty corner and if 80 John is goin to DRP this week, I don't get the sense that Rosehaven's work nextdoor is closer to development than this is.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2020, 8:13 PM

I'm fairly confident Rosehaven will be under construction in a year or two. Kaneff seems to move fairly quickly too however judging by their Mississauga projects. I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see this whole block go up at once.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2020, 8:36 PM

tremendous news and great location for all these new developments. having rentals included is awesome since it will minimize ownership requirements for people earlier in their careers/savings while providing an ideal locale for proximity to multiple destinations and nightlife.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2020, 9:06 PM
Ham-burgher

Looks promising!

I'm SO FREAKIN' GLAD those parking lot wastelands are likely going to finally see some construction lovin'... despite all of what's gone up west of Bay St., and the Connaught redevelopment, I think all this will be the biggest change in the downtown core.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2020, 11:12 PM
Burger Connoisseur

Fantastic news, like what I'm seeing so far!

Old Posted Dec 9, 2020, 11:18 PM

Lemme just clarify something, 'cause I'm having a hard time sorting this out - this is the corner of Wilson and John, is that correct?

Old Posted Dec 9, 2020, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
Lemme just clarify something, 'cause I'm having a hard time sorting this out - this is the corner of Wilson and John, is that correct?
Yes. The street crossing from left behind the church to right is John and the one going up and down is Wilson. The church in question with the street level review looking east is around here: https://maps.app.goo.gl/34YcHMW73QVrm1cx6

Old Posted Dec 10, 2020, 12:11 AM

Oh Nice. Cant wait to see more. This is just what Hamilton needs. I wish there would be some 3 bedroom rentals downtown as well.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2020, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
Yes. The street crossing from left behind the church to right is John and the one going up and down is Wilson. The church in question with the street level review looking east is around here: https://maps.app.goo.gl/34YcHMW73QVrm1cx6
Nice. And the 71 Rebecca proposal would go right next to this one on the same block?

Old Posted Dec 10, 2020, 1:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
Nice. And the 71 Rebecca proposal would go right next to this one on the same block?
Yes, to the right of this sketch when looking at it from this direction.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2020, 3:02 AM
Hamilton Historian

And yet the biggest parking lot is still left.. I wonder what their plans for it are.. now that this one faces it.. I'd love to see something super cool go there, like a fancy opera house or something.

Still, it's good to see this proposed lot being redeveloped though

Old Posted Dec 11, 2020, 12:34 AM
It's Hammer Time

I like this proposal, especially since it's taking away a large surface parking lot.

However, what is this the 3rd or 4th proposed twin tower building? It seems like we're getting a few 2 x 30 fl buildings—stupid height limits.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton