HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs

Old Posted Dec 18, 2013, 9:38 PM

[Halifax] 636 Bedford Highway | 25 m | 8 fl | Approved

Public Information Meeting - Case 18993
Wed, January 22, 2014, 7pm – 9pm
3 Dakin Drive, Halifax, NS, Canada (St. Peter's Anglican Church Hall) (map)

Case 18993 - Application by Bluenose Inn & Suites Halifax Limited to enter into a development agreement for a 9 storey (plus penthouse) mixed use (commercial/residential) building with approximately 92 residential units and 26,000 square feet of commercial space at 636 Bedford Highway, Halifax.

No detailed information is up on HRM Planning's website yet but here is what I can tell. It will be located at the Bluenose Inn & Suites on the Bedford Highway. This lot is the northwest corner lot at Larry Uteck Boulevard. The lot extends a fair bit back to a shared driveway.

Google Streetview

In terms of development nearby there is;

- three 12 storey buildings just opening up at the Abigail.
- One proposed 10-storey building to the south (The Mariner)
- A proposed 7-storey / 52-unit building at Civic #644
- Twin towers of 11-storeys / 130 units / ground floor commercial at Civic #664 (plans to be revised downwards).

The Bedford Highway is currently 2-3 lanes out front of the building. The #664 proposal includes widening the road to 3 lanes with space for bike lanes and sidewalk. There is already a partial sidewalk on this property.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2014, 10:03 PM

Detailed information is available ;

Case 18993 Details

- 9 storeys total
- L1 will have 6'773 sq ft of retail space (up to 9 CRU's) and 90 parking spots
- L2 will have 18'800 sq ft of commercial space, 32 parking spots, and the main lobby
- L3-L9 will have 92 residential units. Mix of 1, 2 & 3 bedrooms (mostly 2 bedrooms)
- Height from parking lot facing Bedford Highway to top of roof is 37.19 M / 122'
- Parking will be split into three parts. There will be three driveway entrances (1 on Bfd Hwy, 2 right-in/right-out on Larry Uteck). 49 surface spaces around the perimiter of the building mostly facing Bfd Hwy. 90 interior spaces accessed at the north end via Bfd Hwy. 32 interior spaces on L2 accessed on the south-west side via Larry Uteck).
- Red brick along the commercial store fronts
- Glass along the office space on L2
- Concrete blocks for the remainder of the building.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2014, 11:35 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
Detailed information is available ;

Case 18993 Details

- 9 storeys total
- L1 will have 6'773 sq ft of retail space (up to 9 CRU's) and 90 parking spots
- L2 will have 18'800 sq ft of commercial space, 32 parking spots, and the main lobby
- L3-L9 will have 92 residential units. Mix of 1, 2 & 3 bedrooms (mostly 2 bedrooms)
- Height from parking lot facing Bedford Highway to top of roof is 37.19 M / 122'
- Parking will be split into three parts. There will be three driveway entrances (1 on Bfd Hwy, 2 right-in/right-out on Larry Uteck). 49 surface spaces around the perimiter of the building mostly facing Bfd Hwy. 90 interior spaces accessed at the north end via Bfd Hwy. 32 interior spaces on L2 accessed on the south-west side via Larry Uteck).
- Red brick along the commercial store fronts
- Glass along the office space on L2
- Concrete blocks for the remainder of the building.
Wayyyy too tall.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 2:46 PM

Just ran across this. Proposal to redevelop the Bluenose Inn and Suites site for construction of a nine storey (plus penthouse) mixed use commercial and residential building with approximately 26,000 square feet of commercial space and 92 residential units

http://www.halifax.ca/planning/Case18993Details.html

http://www.halifax.ca/planning/docum...rspectives.pdf

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 3:20 PM

I saw the bluenose application when I was home at Christmas time. My mom lives in the smaller condo building off Bedros Lane and says that many of the old farts in her building went to the meeting to grumble and complain.

When I was invited to the Condo Christmas party; I was introduced as an urban planner. So they all started complaining and I took them on - it was fun. Mom and I never really liked those people in her building anyway hehe.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2014, 1:50 AM

The public information meeting has been rescheduled to February 26th @ 7pm @ Dakin Drive Church.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2014, 7:13 AM

It's this site and the one next to it that people in my mom's condo went ballistic about apparently. She was telling me how they kept calling urban planners idiots (despite the fact that there are two ex distinguished Geography profs who live in the building and taught the subject and both have PhD's).

When I was home at Christmas time, I went with my mother and the two profs (lovely people - so wonderful to have coffee with) to the condo Christmas party. My mom had told many about how her son was an urban planner; when I was introduced two of the more crabby people came up to me and started telling me how my profession 'worked'. After letting them vent, I politely informed them how much I enjoyed it when a bunch of NIMBY 'wannabe' planners who have minimal skill at usual google become professional planners and seem to be able to absorb everything I've learned in 10+ years as a practicing professional and 4 years in school.

The profs giggled, my mom face palmed and I headed for the bar...
Needless to say, I had no sympathy for a bunch of people who had more money than either my mother or myself and way too much time on their hands.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2014, 6:50 AM
Dartmouth Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
I politely informed them how much I enjoyed it when a bunch of NIMBY 'wannabe' planners who have minimal skill at usual google become professional planners and seem to be able to absorb everything I've learned in 10+ years as a practicing professional and 4 years in school.

The profs giggled, my mom face palmed and I headed for the bar...
Needless to say, I had no sympathy for a bunch of people who had more money than either my mother or myself and way too much time on their hands.
That.. is glorious.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2014, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaliStreaks View Post
That.. is glorious.
It certainly made for an interesting evening...

Old Posted Apr 24, 2015, 2:27 PM

This proposal has been revised. There is no list given but from what I can tell the residential lobby is now on level 2 and will be accessed via a unique wide set of stairs on the southeast corner along Larry Uteck. Level 1 will be mostly parking with the commercial remaining along the Bedford Highway.

Case 18993 Details

Old Posted Jan 6, 2016, 4:01 AM
Honored Member

From the details page - http://www.halifax.ca/planning/appli...993Details.php: A Public Hearing will be held by North west Community Council for this application on Monday, January 11, 2016, at 7:00 p.m. at Bedford Hammonds Plains Community Centre, 202 Innovation Drive, Bedford, NS.

This is an impressive looking building. With the Iconic Tower nearing completion, and Motherhouse lands proposal to start sometime in the future, this part of Halifax will be home to many more residents within walking distance of the peninsula and good bus connections close-by.

(source: http://www.halifax.ca/planning/appli...esCombined.pdf)

Old Posted Jan 6, 2016, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
This is an impressive looking building. With the Iconic Tower nearing completion, and Motherhouse lands proposal to start sometime in the future, this part of Halifax will be home to many more residents within walking distance of the peninsula and good bus connections close-by.

This proposal is certainly not within walking distance of the peninsula and the bus service is usually gridlocked along the Bedford Highway at rush hour.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2016, 1:26 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
This proposal is certainly not within walking distance of the peninsula and the bus service is usually gridlocked along the Bedford Highway at rush hour.

My mistake. I thought this was close to Icon Bay tower, however, Icon Bay Tower is at 50 Bedford Highway, which is much closer to the peninsula and buses. However, technically the 636 Bedford Highway proposal is within 2 - 3 kilometers which some people could walk (it is just not an easy walk).

Old Posted Jan 6, 2016, 2:08 PM

If the commuter rail service ever happened along the existing rail cut, it would really change accessibility to these areas.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2016, 4:14 PM

Quote:
My mistake. I thought this was close to Icon Bay tower, however, Icon Bay Tower is at 50 Bedford Highway, which is much closer to the peninsula and buses. However, technically the 636 Bedford Highway proposal is within 2 - 3 kilometers which some people could walk (it is just not an easy walk).
Yeah in many ways it does depend on how far people are willing to walk, but even then, by 2-3km to the Peninsula do you mean 2-3km to parts of the Peninsula worth walking to? Or like, the Windsor Street Exchange?

Old Posted Jan 6, 2016, 5:51 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
Yeah in many ways it does depend on how far people are willing to walk, but even then, by 2-3km to the Peninsula do you mean 2-3km to parts of the Peninsula worth walking to? Or like, the Windsor Street Exchange?
I thought it was in the Icon Bay tower area, which is much closer to bus routes. Looking at the transit route map - http://www.halifax.ca/transit/Schedu...s/routemap.pdf - a person doesn't have as many convenient bus connections at 636 Bedford Higway as they do at Icon Bay tower.

I guess for people who like walking then they could walk to the Halifax Shopping Centre or Bayers Road Centre, but it is a 2 - 3 KM walk (1/2 hour) from 636 Bedford Highway. They could even walk to Bedford, but this would be for people who enjoy exercise.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2016, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
I live quite close to Icon Bay - a bit further out - and I walked home from Gus' Pub once - that was quite a hike (stumbling...)

I'm certainly not going to walk much past the Windsor exchange in the usual run of things, even to HSC.

If there was rail based transit to downtown, I think I would use it. But not the lousy, meandering, stop-every-block bus. Not a chance.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2016, 9:35 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by portapetey View Post
I live quite close to Icon Bay - a bit further out - and I walked home from Gus' Pub once - that was quite a hike (stumbling...)

I'm certainly not going to walk much past the Windsor exchange in the usual run of things, even to HSC.

If there was rail based transit to downtown, I think I would use it. But not the lousy, meandering, stop-every-block bus. Not a chance.

I am way off on the distance. I checked Google Maps and 636 Bedford Highway to the Halifax Shopping Centre is 8 km, which is quite a hike. Is there anything close to the 636 Bedford Highway proposed site?

In any case, I think it looks good.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2016, 10:32 PM

Quote:
I am way off on the distance. I checked Google Maps and 636 Bedford Highway to the Halifax Shopping Centre is 8 km, which is quite a hike. Is there anything close to the 636 Bedford Highway proposed site?

In any case, I think it looks good.
2.3 km uphill to Morris East and other shops/restaurants in Bedford South.

Google Maps directions

Old Posted Jan 7, 2016, 12:31 AM

There's also quite a bit of retail etc. all along the Bedford Highway itself.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs