HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Sep 5, 2021, 6:47 PM
Ham-burgher

Great photo updates! Thanks to everyone who shares those.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2021, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Thanks to everyone who shares those.
I echo the thanks!

Old Posted Sep 11, 2021, 10:18 PM
It's a nickname from work

We've reached floor 2 now, might begin the towers by November. Taken from my phone a few minutes ago.

Curiously, they never cleaned up this part of Kresge's

Old Posted Sep 12, 2021, 6:58 AM
Hammer'd

^ Same thing where the old Zellers was on James. I guess when the buildings are right up against each other like that, they can't quite chop it all the way down when they demo the building next door.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Sep 12, 2021, 7:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
^ Same thing where the old Zellers was on James. I guess when the buildings are right up against each other like that, they can't quite chop it all the way down when they demo the building next door.
You might be able to, but there may be some liability if you pull down the next door building by accident. Who knows how correct old plans were and if there are no plans, then who knows what's actually behind a facade? Buildings back then didn't have the same standards today where you could expect to see the same thing everywhere. Our house is 150 years old and there's all kinds of weird quirks.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Sep 13, 2021, 3:41 PM
Hamilton Historian

yeah itll be easy to facade over that part.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2021, 6:08 PM
Great White Norf

question: Is this site where the back of The Capri was located?

I haven't been to Hamilton since a bit pre-pandemic so I'm just curious if The Capri still exists?

Old Posted Sep 16, 2021, 6:12 PM
Great White Norf

p.s. loving all these towers going up in roughly the same timeframe past couple of years Go Hammer!

Old Posted Sep 16, 2021, 7:21 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigs View Post
question: Is this site where the back of The Capri was located?

I haven't been to Hamilton since a bit pre-pandemic so I'm just curious if The Capri still exists?
Yes. And the Capri is still open.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2021, 11:06 PM
Burger Connoisseur

Quote:
p.s. loving all these towers going up in roughly the same timeframe past couple of years Go Hammer!
Just wait this is just the tip of the iceberg! Can't wait to see the flood of proposals come in over the next few years!

Old Posted Sep 17, 2021, 12:37 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Yes. And the Capri is still open.
awesome! had pizza there a few years back. Always wanted to check out the Blue Grotto? (or did that part get demo'd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StEC View Post
Just wait this is just the tip of the iceberg! Can't wait to see the flood of proposals come in over the next few years!
indeed my friend!

Old Posted Sep 17, 2021, 3:08 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
awesome! had pizza there a few years back. Always wanted to check out the Blue Grotto? (or did that part get demo'd)
None of the building has been touched due to the construction on that block. And it's still mentioned on the restaurant website... I wonder why it's "infamous" though

Above the Capri lies the infamous Blue Grotto. The ceilings and walls were transformed into concrete stalactites. Food, dancing and live entertainment was on the menu. On November 9th 2014, it was re-opened for all to enjoy.
https://www.capriristorante.ca/

Nearly 58 years in business! One of the oldest in the city. From Paul Wilson in the Spec a few years ago:

* The Capri opened in 1963. That makes it four years older than the Black Forest, six years older than Shakespeare's. While not downtown, The Trocadero on Barton East tops all three, opening in 1944. There is The Corktown, established in 1931. But it was more tavern than restaurant, had other names, and hasn't always served food. And even though it doesn't call itself a restaurant, we must not forget Denninger's deli and grocery, with that bountiful hot-foods counter and big-windowed seating area. The King East store opened in 1954.
https://www.thespec.com/opinion/2018...other-day.html

Old Posted Sep 18, 2021, 6:41 AM
Hamilton Historian

the capri is great - one of my fave italian restaurants - I often go there when I am downtown - they recently renovated their neon sign out front - one of the last functioning signs left in the city

Old Posted Sep 19, 2021, 12:24 AM
Great White Norf

ScreamingViking,
Thanks for keeping me informed

Old Posted Sep 19, 2021, 12:27 AM
Great White Norf

Quote:
None of the building has been touched due to the construction on that block. And it's still mentioned on the restaurant website... I wonder why it's "infamous" though
Eh tell Johnny "Pops" Papalia I said hi, capice?

Old Posted Sep 19, 2021, 4:25 PM

Taken September 19, 2021. I've been meaning to get a shot from this angle. I'm excited to get some aerial shots once the towers start to rise up. I'm guessing that will be sometime in October.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2021, 5:03 PM
Hamilton Historian

I'm very curious to see how the facades facing the building next door will do - I remember the renders showed them being white, and well.. we all know how graffitied the bingo hall wall was..

always did hate that windy dark corridor waiting for the bus when I was younger..

Old Posted Sep 20, 2021, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
I'm very curious to see how the facades facing the building next door will do - I remember the renders showed them being white, and well.. we all know how graffitied the bingo hall wall was..

always did hate that windy dark corridor waiting for the bus when I was younger..
Shows as black brick here. Plus the wider roadway will make "nefarious activities" less likely I think. Not to mention the 1500 new middle class residents living upstairs.

Gore will be completely different from now by the time this is finished.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Sep 20, 2021, 7:27 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
Shows as black brick here. Plus the wider roadway will make "nefarious activities" less likely I think. Not to mention the 1500 new middle class residents living upstairs.

Gore will be completely different from now by the time this is finished.

it does show as black, but that entrance is white (or cream I guess..), so I do wonder about the sides of it..

I still don't get why the entrances on this side get to look nicer than the entrances on the king side where it felt they just half assed them..

I mean..

Just LOOk at it..

Blegh.. just.. such.. unoriginality..

Also I still don't get this lack of tinted transition windows thing - we can do it for glasses but not building windows? What's the point of putting windows in the render when the majority of the surface area of them is being obstructed by blinds or curtains - be modern and do it right - have a bigass window with transition effects so then the light gets blinding they simply darken and dim it..

also hate the whole daylight triangle modern requirement things on streetcorners now - just results in a lot f ugly street corner designs now..

Last edited by Chronamut; Sep 20, 2021 at 7:46 PM.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2021, 5:10 PM

Taken October 24, 2021.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton