HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Royal Connaught Phase III in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Hamilton Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Oct 1, 2021, 1:29 PM
Ham-burgher

The video actually made Landmark Place look ok.

I love what they're doing with the podium in relation to the original hotel building, and that walkway is a nice touch. But how nice would this tower be if they would have taken design cues from the Connaught's 1930 addition? It would probably be expensive to do depending on materials, and historical replication doesn't often turn out well... but as the video notes, I think it would really "Raise your expectations" and stand out in the skyline. I don't even mean a replica tower, just something with "stone" vertical elements and less glass, use similar arches at the top. Maybe it wouldn't work so well with the balconies, but the King St. face has none aside from the top floors.

Oh well, it's fun to play with other people's money.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2021, 2:23 PM
Burger Connoisseur

Personally I feel either of these designs The Uptown Residences Toronto (maybe not necessarily the all white colour though) or especially One Park Tower Mississauga would have been spectacular here! Either style would fit so much better with the Royal Connaught and the faux historical podium and would play nicely with the Pigott in the skyline!

Old Posted Oct 1, 2021, 2:29 PM

Oh lord, I always thought those two buildings were hideous. The current proposal is so much nicer than both of those.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2021, 2:37 PM
Burger Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHonestMaple View Post
Just FYI that curvy white one across from the park has been completely redesigned. It's now a typical blue glass with a brown podium. Check out the thread for a more up to date render.
Ughh you're right... the most recent design is so disappointing!

Old Posted Oct 1, 2021, 6:06 PM
Great White Norf

StEC, I've always been partial to One St. Thomas in Toronto

https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/c...g?format=2500w

Yokville Condo Blog
https://yorkvillecondoblog.co/2013/0...one-st-thomas/

Old Posted Oct 2, 2021, 1:21 PM
Burger Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigs View Post
StEC, I've always been partial to One St. Thomas in Toronto
Yes that is a better example than The Uptown I posted. I mean this style of tower would be a great fit for this spot.

I know we're getting off topic here sorry.... do we have anyone here with good photoshop skills? I would love to see what One Park Tower would like in this spot with the faux heritage podium from the Moderne render.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2021, 3:35 PM

I noticed some Instagram advertisements today for The Moderne stating that construction would be starting this fall?

Old Posted Oct 3, 2021, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHonestMaple View Post
I noticed some Instagram advertisements today for The Moderne stating that construction would be starting this fall?
God, I hope so. I would love some screenshots just so that we can FINALLY get over this hoop with proof. Not that I don't believe you, but its a bit too good to be true to actually have shovels in the ground here .

Old Posted Oct 6, 2021, 11:38 PM
BANNED

3 weeks from now will be the 14th year of this thread

This thing clearly connaught get built

Old Posted Oct 6, 2021, 11:58 PM

Instagram advertisement from today. I'm not sure if this means sales start this fall, or construction. Something at least.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2021, 8:40 PM

The Esplanade concept is beautiful! I walk down there a lot and this will be an excellent addition to the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StEC View Post
First I just want to say the top of the tower definitely looks unresolved and sloppy! But I'm good with the rest of the tower and especially the podium. Out of all the proposals so far in Hamilton this is probably the 3rd best in my books just behind TV City & the white curvy building on Rebecca Street across from the new John & Rebecca Park.

That says two things.... there are far worse proposals and lots of them in our city and that architecture in general is extremely subpar/mediocre, so far. This is not a great tower (by world class city standards) but it's one of the best of the current bunch here in Hamilton. I'm sure in due time once the big National & International firms set their eyes on Hamilton and it will happen... everything currently under construction and about to be constructed will all be eclipsed in both design & height!

Having said that I want to draw attention to something truly awesome though with the current podium design. It looks like we will be getting our very own version of the photographers dream "The Esplanade" pedestrian sidewalk tunnel in Toronto!!! Our version will be on Catharine St South.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2021, 1:29 PM
Ham-burgher

Just need more on Catharine S. to generate foot traffic to use it.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2021, 5:32 PM
Hamilton Historian

I do love that building in toronto - stayed there once - very classy

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 2:40 AM

Curious what sort of amenities the new building will have and whether they will actually be of any practical use.

The party room and theatre in the Connaught seem fancy in theory but to book them you have to take a 20 minute drive up the mountain to the property management office. Makes the whole thing more or less a sales gimmick unfortunately.

Not sure if that's normal for condos in Hamilton, since facility booking is usually handled by the security desk at my old condo in Toronto.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 2:42 AM

Are you sure you have to drive up to their office, why would you have to do that? In my condo you simply send the property manager an email and they book you in.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 5:55 PM
Ham-burgher

I would think it will be done on-site once this development is complete. The rooms don't even exist yet (unless there's something in the first phases to which the poster is referring?)

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 8:17 PM

Has Moderne launched? I thought the earlier posts said it was launching this fall, which changed from a launch in the summer, which changed from a launch in 2020 and then 2019. They also reduced their sales office hours to 30 mins on Saturdays only, what does that mean?

If it doesn't launch soon, the amenities might be as practical as the pocket of air currently above Catherine street?

The article said construction was to be completed in 2025, does that mean it's going to be more like 2026?

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 7:29 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonresident View Post
Has Moderne launched? I thought the earlier posts said it was launching this fall
Well, they do have until the late morning of Dec 21 if they want to meet that "fall" target, at least officially.

The website looks no different to me than it did when launched though. Still just an invitation to register, some images and a few paragraphs...

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 9:15 PM

an attempted appeal of the heritage designation for this property has failed:

https://pub-hamilton.escribemeetings...umentId=297517

Old Posted Dec 5, 2021, 4:20 PM

Still launching this fall? Less than 20 days to go!!!

I have a couple of questions for the forum or insiders that might be on here

*Sometimes a crane for high-rises needs to be anchored into an adjacent building, will this crane need to be anchored into the red brick building during construction? Will people be forced to move out?

*The bridge/tunnel that was supposed to connect the red brick portion of building to the moderne on the 8th floor, will the corner unit and adjacent unit need to be bought out or evicted to build this tunnel Or is there already an empty space that was held vacant to become the tunnel

*In the video of the building, the outdoor rooftop patio extends behind the building all the way to main street, where will be people that park outside park during construction?

I am sure Spallacci explained this to all the owners that purchased in the red brick part of the building, can anyone share the details?

Also, as a follow up to my earlier posts, the social media or Royal Connaught and Spallacci homes has gone dead for months now. What is going on? Seems odd, as there is a biggest construction and real estate boom happening right now, why aren't they building anything?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton