HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 12:15 AM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
Was this a long exposure, or were there really no cars on the offramp?
Doesn't look long exposure to me. If it was there would be streaks of white/yellow and red lights from the cars.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 1:28 AM
你的媽媽

Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 1:36 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

Gorgeous.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 3:57 AM

Mark Benioff appeared on Jim Cramer’s Mad Money TV show today and Jim asked him if his iconic tower in SF was going to stay empty with everybody working at home. Benioff said, in effect, “No,” and that he was working on bringing people back into the office “safely”. I’m hoping what’s true for Salesforce is true for a lot of companies. For one thing, especially for people who live in the city and don’t have a long grinding commute, I would think working at home and not having the interaction with fellow employees or just getting out of the house would have gotten old by now. I’ve also read conflicting reports about the productivity of working at home vs in the office and also at least last summer some companies were reducing pay of people not coming into the office.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 4:07 AM

Quote:
If that’s the ramp to the Transbay Terminal (“Salesforce Park”) they don’t allow cars on it I don’t believe, only busses and right now bus service could well be reduced so much the ramp might be empty quite often.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 5:20 AM

Whoa, that almost looks like a Kinkade painting.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 6:52 AM
Birds Aren't Real!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tall/awkward View Post
Whoa, that almost looks like a Kinkade painting.
Haha, naw--the "Painter of Light" usually has three different Suns going at one time.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 11:42 AM
heavy user of walkability

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
If that’s the ramp to the Transbay Terminal (“Salesforce Park”) they don’t allow cars on it I don’t believe, only busses and right now bus service could well be reduced so much the ramp might be empty quite often.
I think it's actually both: on the right in the pic is the bus ramp; on the left is the off-ramp that (out of the pic) separates and curves around to dump the cars onto I forget which street that is (Fremont?), behind the Avery. so it does seem curious that the left one is empty, unless it was 3:00a or something

Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Night mode from an iPhone. Probably a 2 second exposed shot taken at midnight if anything. Surprisingly there were no cars

Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 8:46 PM

361 Turk Street - 02/26/2021 - steel is now visible from my apartment. (the architectural drawing was plucked from Socket Site)
361 Turk Street - San Francisco

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 2:54 AM

Freedom West + Potrero Power Station

Heya,
Got a couple new stories we published this morning on SFYIMBY. New planning applications have been filed for the Freedom West development rising as high as 345 feet, a rendering has been discovered for a 240-foot Foster + Partners design in the Potrero Power Station development, which I found because of planning application activity for blocks 7 and 8 in the Potrero Power Station. I cant find dedicated threads to these projects.

I'm amazed with how much money must be thrown into the Potrero Power Station project, between hiring Foster for Block 7A+8, Herzog + De Meuron for Station A, and who knows who else at this point. I'm asking myself if this will be San Francisco's equivalent of Battersea Station or Hudson Yards? And how will it work in context beside Pier 70?

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 3:24 AM
你的媽媽

Another nice recent shot of the skyline:

https://www.reddit.com/r/sanfrancisc...om_twin_peaks/

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 7:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewCNelson View Post
... a rendering has been discovered for a 240-foot Foster + Partners design in the Potrero Power Station development, ... I cant find dedicated threads to these projects.

maybe it's time the power station project gets its own thread. really like that initial rendering for 7A, and am certainly looking forward to getting that whole stretch of the city (Mission Rock through Bayfront Park at Chase Center through Crane Cove Park through Pier 70 through this, phew) opened up to the waterfront!

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 7:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewCNelson View Post
... New planning applications have been filed for the Freedom West development rising as high as 345 feet...

I am reluctant to say this, but that actually looks too tall for the area. I do hope a bunch of new housing goes in there roughly à la this plan, but maybe just not quite so overwhelmingly. (I have a suspicion Planning will also think so.) anyone who lives closer to this have any strong feelings about the massing?

PS, also really like the Octavia Green idea echoing Patricia's Green, and leading to the newly-renovated recreation area to the north.

Last edited by timbad; Mar 2, 2021 at 7:18 AM. Reason: added last sentence

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbad View Post
I am reluctant to say this, but that actually looks too tall for the area. I do hope a bunch of new housing goes in there roughly à la this plan, but maybe just not quite so overwhelmingly. (I have a suspicion Planning will also think so.) anyone who lives closer to this have any strong feelings about the massing?

PS, also really like the Octavia Green idea echoing Patricia's Green, and leading to the newly-renovated recreation area to the north.
I live quite close but since it doesn't impact my views directly I wouldn't say my feelings are "strong". But I basically agree with you and, more importantly, I suspect the odds of Hayes Valley accepting this without a fight are zero to none.

And by the way, it does have a thread of its own: https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...80#post9089880

I'm going to take the discussion there.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2021, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
nice shot, of course, and I am often struck in seeing this view in particular that, at the time of the 1989 earthquake, while almost all of the buildings to the left of Market St existed, the vast majority of the prominent ones on the right did not.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 7:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
Another nice recent shot of the skyline:

https://www.reddit.com/r/sanfrancisc...om_twin_peaks/
whatever you might think about Salesforce Tower, it's hard to deny it's stunning at the Golden Hour

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 7:39 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudolus View Post
whatever you might think about Salesforce Tower, it's hard to deny it's stunning at the Golden Hour
I have a direct angled view of it from my place and am constantly seeing it with beautiful hues and reflections, both at sunset and during different weather patterns and seasons. That more than makes up for the somewhat boring architecture for me.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 7:46 AM
Birds Aren't Real!

This wasn't initially my favorite design for the tower, but I'm over that. It's an absolutely gorgeous skyscraper and as others have noted, it is continually fascinating in terms of the light that it reflects as well as the crown's animations.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 9:01 PM
Registered (Nimby Ab)User

Location: At a computer, wasting my life on a skyscraper website
Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudolus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post
I have a direct angled view of it from my place and am constantly seeing it with beautiful hues and reflections, both at sunset and during different weather patterns and seasons. That more than makes up for the somewhat boring architecture for me.
What im about to say isn't true of most supertalls (IMO anyway), but in the case of salesforce, I think just the height itself is actually an integral part of what makes this tower stunning, simply because of the surrounding geography. Whenever im in SF, i never cease to be amazed by the ways this tower appears out of nowhere, over this hill or that, or pokes out of the fog, or pops up just barely over the top of a random two story building, etc..

SF's hilly geography has made it a (traditionally) very intimate city, with lots of unique neighborhoods that are kept somewhat in their own little worlds by the hills. San Francisco just doesnt feel as fucking BIG as Chicago or New York, because the real horizon is almost always blocked by one hill or another, so you cant take in the true vastness of the city unless you climb to the top of one.
(This is why parks like painted lady are so popular. Its also what makes the views of SF from the Golden Gate Bridge so much more special than the views of flatter cities from their equally large and beautiful suspension bridges.)

Salesforce has changed this. Its one of the few things (along with the bridges and Sutro tower) that is tall enough to be visible from a ton of different areas and angles, and so its one of the only things that can provide SF the wonderful emotional combination of both spatial vastness and unity. It psychologically extends your sense of the horizon when youre "down" in the city, and is a beautiful focal point when youre up high

I heard the UN is moving its HQ there. The eiffel tower is moving there soon as well. Elon Musk even decided he didnt want to go to mars anymore after visiting.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations