HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 7:45 PM
Khan

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanClimate View Post
Still such a great design. Too bad it isn't in a more prominent location in Regina.
With coarse rice to eat, with water to drink, and my bended arm for a pillow - I have still joy in the midst of these things. Riches and honors acquired by unrighteousness are to me as a floating cloud.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 10:44 PM

Love Concordia's and Toronto's. Fascinating to have such large institutions slammed right into the dense's part of the city. Great campuses and most importantly inject a hell of a lot of youth and young adult culture into the centre of a city. Having such enormous amounts of young people downtown completely changes the way those cities have developed and the services that are available. A huge addition that every city should have emulated when all these institutions were created. Unfortunately the nature of these institutions and their longevity means that even the youngest of them were started well before ideas like this were considered.

I am a U of Calgary alumni myself, love the feel of it, one of the most full-serviced campuses I have been to - the design is turned inward on itself, in a weird pedestrian only island of academia separated from the rest of the city. That is good and bad: it gives the university an elevated sense of independence and importance, different from the city it exists in some directions it feels rather jarring when leaving campus because the built form immediately switches. THis is largely due to the ability of some areas to vehemently resisted any ghetto-zation or campus sprawl like you would see in Queens or other eastern universities that give those universities a distinct charm and better integration to their communities.

Still though, the neighbourhoods surrounding the U of C campus have switched largely over to student rental houses complete with parties, traditions and a sense of youth you wouldn't see unless you were next to an enormous university. Recent developments in the area are changing the form further - condo towers, apartments, redevelopment plans and hospital expansions have all starting to merge the large facilities together in feel and activity that is getting more and more connected and urban.

SAIT's campus (just 3 stops & 2 km from U of C on the train) has to have one of the best views of a city's primary skyline in the country. Truly spectacular to stand on that soccer field and overlook the city from the edge of the escarpment north of the Bow River.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 11:19 PM

Some of my favs that I saw of UBC lately:

UBC Shrouded in Clouds by kloppster, on Flickr

UBC Pharmaceutical Sciences Building by tyfn, on Flickr

UBC by SamChung94, on Flickr

UBC Main Library by CjayD, on Flickr

Brooding by photocafe, on Flickr

Old Posted Oct 4, 2014, 5:55 PM

Old Posted Oct 4, 2014, 6:01 PM
Look at me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaterMontréal View Post
Université de Montréal

http://ilc2014.iro.umontreal.ca/
Nice. Love the UdM campus. It just needs some revamp and new landscape architecture.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2014, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
Nice. Love the UdM campus. It just needs some revamp and new landscape architecture.
It could also use nearby independent businesses. I swear, trying to buy something other then overpriced cafeteria slop for lunch when working at Polytechnique was an incredible saga.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2014, 6:19 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciudad_del_norte View Post
It's not that Dal lacks history, but that history is not nearly as in-your-face as I thought it would be. I attended both schools, and Dal definitely has some cool buildings, but they always felt sufficiently interspersed with modern ones, or parking lots that it just didn't have that sort of grand old effect I thought it would have.
I tend to agree. I think part of the reason why is that the university has shifted focus several times after having to acquire new land to grow, and in the case of the most recent expansion (Studley, around 1900) there was a lot of land at first so the buildings from around 1900-1950 were spaced out. A lot of what would have originally been open space was then filled in with modern buildings. If you spend a lot of time wandering around town figuring out which buildings belong to Dal it becomes apparent that the university has a pretty nice collection, but aside from the main quad there aren't a lot of specific impressive spots on any of the campuses.

Here's Shirreff Hall, which is pretty nice and is on the corner of South and Oxford. You could easily visit Dal and never see it:

Source

The main quad:

Source

Chemstry

Source

The Forrest Building was the main building for the university that held arts and administration back in the late 1800's.

Source

Old Posted Oct 4, 2014, 8:32 PM

I can't seem to find a decent pic showing all of the University of New Brunswick in Fredericton, so I'll give you what I could find.

View from Saint John River, Walking Bridge in foreground

Overhead pic missing parts of campus, new Currie Centre in foreground, Lady Beaverbrook Gymnasium in lower left

Pic showing more of campus, downtown Fredericton in background

Pic of Student Union Building in winter

These Google Street view pics are the best views there are, it's hard to find a that can do it justice.

Bonus Pic of UNB Saint John

Bonus interactive map of Saint Thomas University, right next to UNB Fredericton and the most symmetrical campus I've seen

http://map.stu.ca/#UMAP_2013100206596

Old Posted Oct 4, 2014, 9:47 PM
Ciao tutti

These are my shots of the backside of the Université de Montréal tower. ,

Old Posted Oct 5, 2014, 3:16 PM

Old Posted Oct 5, 2014, 4:45 PM

Grey Nun's addition is going to be excellent for Concordia, and it will shift the University centre from the Hall towards EV. In fact, since Concordia bought the last plot of remaining land on that block, it would be wonderful for them to create a greenspace between the GN and the Faubourg Building. There is a lot of space there, and tons of potential.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2014, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Doesn't the U of S have the country's largest Hadron Particle Collider?

sort of..
Canada's only Canadian Light Source National Centre for Synchrotron Research on the banks of the South Saskatchewan River on the U of S campus.

image from www.canadianlightsource.ca
Touted as Canada's largest science project and built in the early 2000's at a cost of >$300million over 3 phases, it is one of the brightest in the world & competitive with the others in North America, Japan & Europe.

image from www.canadianlightsource.ca

Containing an Electron Gun, Linear Accelerator, Booster & Storage rings and Beam lines, Electrons are excelerated to 99.999998% the speed of light to produce synchrotron light beams a million times brighter than sunlight & magnetically bent to different spectrums to conduct experiments.

who would ever have thought, Saskatoon as literally Canada's brightest spot

Old Posted Oct 5, 2014, 6:53 PM

SFU (Burnaby) is so flat it's not easy to find a good skyline photo:

From Wikipedia

Old Posted Oct 5, 2014, 7:32 PM
Registered Drug User

This is the kind of thing I'd want to see if I were a foreign tourist in Canada.

Quote:

Source: personal photo

Old Posted Oct 5, 2014, 7:37 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Douglas Cardinal?

Old Posted Oct 5, 2014, 10:24 PM
Closed account

I don't have any good pictures of it, but the transformation of the University of Waterloo over the past ten years or so has been pretty astonishing. The main campus was originally built in a green field and the influence on the campus built form showed - large green spaces spread around campus. Since I went there, there has been a lot of intensification. At the same time, they have been spreading out as well with the School of Architecture moving to a campus in downtown Galt and a Health Sciences campus located next to downtown Kitchener adjacent to the future King & Victoria transportation hub.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2014, 10:41 PM

Douglas Cardinal really is a gem.

People in my hometown know him from his work at Grande Prairie Regional College.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grande_...gional_College

Old Posted Oct 5, 2014, 11:38 PM

UBC the best. The rest, get outta here.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2014, 12:18 AM
Regina SK

Gordon Oakes-Red Bear Student Centre (Cardinal) currently under construction at the U of S.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2014, 1:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy_haak View Post
I don't have any good pictures of it, but the transformation of the University of Waterloo over the past ten years or so has been pretty astonishing. The main campus was originally built in a green field and the influence on the campus built form showed - large green spaces spread around campus. Since I went there, there has been a lot of intensification. At the same time, they have been spreading out as well with the School of Architecture moving to a campus in downtown Galt and a Health Sciences campus located next to downtown Kitchener adjacent to the future King & Victoria transportation hub.
Unfortunately, despite some good buildings, the UofWaterloo main campus is now overcrowded and an architectural mash-up. The beautiful old "garden campus" is gone and very little has been done to tie the main campus together at the pedestrian level.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada