HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 3:29 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I can't remember if this has been posted here before, but for anyone who misses the CFL here is a bit of nostalgia in the form of a 10 minute NFB film that looks at the 1967 Grey Cup in Ottawa... Oskee Wee Wee

https://www.nfb.ca/film/oskee_wee_wee/

It's impressive in part because of the clarity of the film... unlike the usual fuzzy, grainy footage you typically see from the 60s, everything here is clear as day and it looks like it could have been filmed last year. It's cool to see a mostly-new Lansdowne Park in Ottawa, and a young-looking Ron Lancaster and George Reed in their prime.
What a great video! I think I saw Angelo Mosca there too.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 3:43 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Still with that video.

It really does harken back to another era, that's it's actually quite different to imagine even existed at one time.

I wasn't born yet back then, but there was still some of that euphoria that lingered into the late 1970s which is when my first sports memories appear.

Even into the 1980s to some degree, but it was rapidly fading away even in the first part of the decade.

Watching it, I wondered at how the world had changed. But is it the world that's this way, or is it Canada?

I've got four more videos for your guys:

Munich Oktoberfest in the 1960s:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmOMIP-3xpg

Munich Oktoberfest today (when they can have it)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lArB_F148W0

Rose Bowl Parade 1967
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8l5IutSp0W8

Rose Bowl Parade 2020
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGMLEsR-Hb4

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 10:05 PM

I can't speak for the rest of the world, but Canada seems like it hit a cultural zenith in the late 1960s and early 1970s. There was a level of enthusiasm which slowly got stripped away after that, and it seems the country hasn't really been able to it back.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 4:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicPonyTime View Post
I can't speak for the rest of the world, but Canada seems like it hit a cultural zenith in the late 1960s and early 1970s. There was a level of enthusiasm which slowly got stripped away after that, and it seems the country hasn't really been able to it back.
I was 6 years old in 1967. I remember it all, the big parades, the centennial train, the building of new rinks, community halls, and other government buildings in celebration of the 100 years since confederation.
My mom and dad were able to build a new house on the farm with actual running water and flush toilets! And to top it off was Expo 67 in Montreal and eventhough my family and I were unable to go there, we were able to watch it all on the television.
There seemed to be nothing that Canada couldn't do at the time (of course I was oblivious to all the underlying issues that were being papered over) and then the FLQ, the election of the PQ, OPEC and all the rest of the things that tripped up Canada. Now it seems like we've kinda given up and have embraced the branch plant mentality (sports and culture wise) that we were so fearful of in the 60's.

adding - I'm in no way singling out Quebec for all the ills of Canada. It just seemed to me that the business exodus from Montreal really changed the face of Canada.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
I was 6 years old in 1967. I remember it all, the big parades, the centennial train, the building of new rinks, community halls, and other government buildings in celebration of the 100 years since confederation.
My mom and dad were able to build a new house on the farm with actual running water and flush toilets! And to top it off was Expo 67 in Montreal and eventhough my family and I were unable to go there, we were able to watch it all on the television.
There seemed to be nothing that Canada couldn't do at the time (of course I was oblivious to all the underlying issues that were being papered over) and then the FLQ, the election of the PQ, OPEC and all the rest of the things that tripped up Canada. Now it seems like we've kinda given up and have embraced the branch plant mentality (sports and culture wise) that we were so fearful of in the 60's.

adding - I'm in no way singling out Quebec for all the ills of Canada. It just seemed to me that the business exodus from Montreal really changed the face of Canada.
I never realized until I was older why seemingly every small community in Saskatchewan had a centennial something, whether it be an arena or a community hall. I was born decades after but I can imagine it was a pretty exciting time. I think you said it best: it felt like Canada could do anything.

I'm sure that, at least sports wise, the decline from that peak can be attributed somewhat to the growth of the US sports and television market. Back then, we weren't nearly as overwhelmed with American media and American perspectives. Canada could still compete, in a sense. The explosion in popularity of distinctly American products like the NFL meant that their Canadian counterparts just weren't the same. If the NFL was the new farm house with flush toilets, the CFL was the old one. Sure, you had childhood memories of it, and it's still a fine house, but it just isn't the same.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 2:34 PM

Chris Schultz passed away yesterday at 61. For me, this is one of those passings you hear that makes you catch your breath.

With Walter Gretzky's passing, what a horrible day for Canadian sports....

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 3:06 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25grapes View Post
Chris Schultz passed away yesterday at 61. For me, this is one of those passings you hear that makes you catch your breath.

With Walter Gretzky's passing, what a horrible day for Canadian sports....
That's too bad.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 3:48 PM
Community Guy

Schultz was a gem on and off of the field and across borders - RIP big man

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 4:37 PM

61 seems so young an age, especially for such a big, strong dude with an air of invincibility around him. I remember him from when I was a kid, seeing him with those dominant 91 Argos. He seemed larger than life. I will miss him.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 5:58 PM

Schultzy was a friend of a fellow coach's friend on our flag football team so he got him to stop by one day. To the kids, he was a mountain of a man.

Real nice guy and we chatted for a while as we watched from the sidelines. Then he went over to Obie to catch up as he would show up for most the games as his son owned the flag football league and his grandson was playing as well.

russian photo sharing

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 6:03 PM

^ Love the pic, that looks like it could be a poster for a Disney movie

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 7:39 PM

God we need some good CFL news. Schultzy was such a class act and a true fan of 3 down football who went to both argos and ti-cats games as a kid in the 70s.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2021, 7:12 AM

Tough to hear about the Big Man. Only 2 years older than I. You really have no control over when you go so live every day to the fullest.
We'll miss you Shultzy!

Old Posted Mar 6, 2021, 6:44 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
God we need some good CFL news. Schultzy was such a class act and a true fan of 3 down football who went to both argos and ti-cats games as a kid in the 70s.
Totally agree with you. He was the most balanced panelist on TSN, offered much of the best insight and commentary, and when the other frat boys would get randy he could steer the laughs into something focused and worth listening to.

This is a huge loss.

Some are making a case he should be in the Canadian Football Hall of Fame. I think he should, and while people can argue about whether that should happen based on his playing days, I think there's little debate he deserves it as a member of the media: https://cfhof.ca/hof-reporters/

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 4:57 PM

https://3downnation.com/2021/03/10/c...th-xfl-owners/

CFL to explore alignment opportunities with XFL owners

The CFL and XFL owners Dany Garcia, Dwayne Johnson, and RedBird Capital have agreed to work together to identify opportunities for the leagues to collaborate, innovate, and grow the game of football.

Statement from Randy Ambrosie, CFL Commissioner:

“Canada has an exciting game and devoted fans, and our discussion with the XFL provides a tremendous opportunity to build on that strong foundation. We look forward to exploring how we might work with one of the most innovative sports brands in the world to grow the game, engage fans in new ways, and reach new audiences. We look forward to seeing what possibilities our discussions might uncover, and to sharing those with our fans as the process unfolds.”

Statement from Dany Garcia, XFL Chairwoman and Owner:

“Since we first acquired the XFL, we have focused on identifying partners who share our vision and values on and off the field. A vision filled with opportunity, innovation and the highest level of entertainment value for the benefit of our athletes, fans and communities. The CFL has expressed that similar sentiment and jointly we recognize a great opportunity to build exciting innovative football experiences that make the most of each league’s unique strengths. I look forward to our continued discussions and we will update the sports community as we have more to share.”

Statement from Jeffrey Pollack, XFL President and CEO:

“We are honored and excited to be in discussions with the CFL. It’s clear through our early conversations that we share a passion for football, an expansive sense of possibility, and a deep desire to create more opportunity for players and fans across North America and around the world. Blending the CFL’s rich heritage with our fresh thinking, and the unique reach and experience of our ownership, could be transformative for the game. We look forward to learning more about what’s possible together with the CFL and where our shared passion takes us.”

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 5:02 PM

Very interesting, but this could go anywhere... it could end up in a deal to team up on running tryouts in the US, could end up in a league merger or anywhere in between.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 5:08 PM

If done right it can maybe help boost cfl franchise values long term if they build this similar to MLS and can get in on a us tv deal if the leagues merge or playoff in a super series like in champions league soccer

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
If done right it can maybe help boost cfl franchise values long term if they build this similar to MLS and can get in on a us tv deal if the leagues merge or playoff in a super series like in champions league soccer
Any version of the CFL that exists following a merger would not be the CFL people are fans of today. It would be another American league operating in Canada.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Any version of the CFL that exists following a merger would not be the CFL people are fans of today. It would be another American league operating in Canada.
CFL sadly is in rough shape anneeds revenue and quickly and TSN seems unwilling to grow the league and content with it as is. Its similar to the 90s and needing the us expansion money to survive. I trust the Rock more than I do Vince mcmahon and he is the most popular man on the planet these days maybe his star power can help grow this enterprise and he is a CFL alumni with the stampeders

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 9:55 PM

Quote:
I would imagine that whatever arrangement is agreed to will be sensitive to Canadian sensibilities... they're not just going to flush all that goodwill down the toilet.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada