HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Oct 30, 2020, 1:07 AM

Was there any update on the Nor-Gen project? I thought the deadline had passed for them to start construction and avoid a penalty.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2020, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadedos View Post
Was there any update on the Nor-Gen project? I thought the deadline had passed for them to start construction and avoid a penalty.
I believe they've only been discussing that debacle in executive session.

I can just see Norville, who's surely never had any real plans to develop that property, conveniently blaming his delay on the pandemic. If he does, I hope RN remembers that he slapped together this stupid amphitheater concept before anyone realized the effects of the pandemic and sticks to their guns.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2020, 8:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFireBirds View Post
Does anyone know the approximate height of 75 Broadway? I know it says 19 stories, but is it expected to be above 300 feet or at least be in the top 4 for tallest building? Thanks.
During that Youtube Zoom meeting the developers said it would be about the same height at the Pima County Legal Services building which is 260 feet. So I would guess around that height. If it was closer to the One South Church (which is 330 feet) I think he would have made that comparison.

It might be important to note that the height limit of Tucson buildings is 300 feet. From what I remember, back in the late 80s when One South Church was built the local Nimby's went nuts saying it was too tall for our small city and they didn't want to be another Phx. That it interfered with the mountain views. So the city lowered it to 300 feet max.

Its my opinion if you're building something that tall you might as well make it the tallest bldg in Tucson. I think that alone would have marketing appeal with economic benefit to be able to claim that. I emailed Peach Properties and urged them to go higher. Maybe some of you guys that share that viewpoint can email them too and tell them to go HIGHER!

Old Posted Nov 1, 2020, 8:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lyons View Post
I believe they've only been discussing that debacle in executive session.

I can just see Norville, who's surely never had any real plans to develop that property, conveniently blaming his delay on the pandemic. If he does, I hope RN remembers that he slapped together this stupid amphitheater concept before anyone realized the effects of the pandemic and sticks to their guns.
Why is everything in "executive session" with Rio Nuevo? Shouldn't the public be able to hear what their next steps are? I too saw that lame bandstand-like amphitheatre proposal and hope they decline it. The plans that were approved 6 years ago (and the reason he was chosen) look nothing like his latest idea. That alone should disqualify him. I fear anything Nor-Gen builds is gonna be cheap like that cheap tent he puts up every year for the gem show. Such a shame. Wish Rio Nuevo could buy the property back and start over with legitimate developers.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2020, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ71 View Post
Why is everything in "executive session" with Rio Nuevo? Shouldn't the public be able to hear what their next steps are? I too saw that lame bandstand-like amphitheatre proposal and hope they decline it. The plans that were approved 6 years ago (and the reason he was chosen) look nothing like his latest idea. That alone should disqualify him. I fear anything Nor-Gen builds is gonna be cheap like that cheap tent he puts up every year for the gem show. Such a shame. Wish Rio Nuevo could buy the property back and start over with legitimate developers.
Totally agree.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2020, 6:52 PM

Old Posted Nov 1, 2020, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick S View Post
I read this article too and I don't think its correct. Seems like the reporter is reading off specs from like 2-3 years ago. That zoom meeting clearly laid out plans for 19 stories. Unless something dramatically changed in 2 weeks time.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2020, 8:27 PM

Kino South Sports Center - Entertainment Complex

Looks like the city is in the final approval to accept a plan for the Kino South Sports Complex - Entertainment Complex...from a company called Knott Development, Inc. They sent out RFPs earlier this year and I guess this one scored the highest. (Frustratingly, doesn't look like they're giving out any information on who else submitted or any development ideas until the contract is awarded. That seems shady to me).

This link is from the County Administrator to the Board of Supervisors. The image in the link is just the conceptual plan from long ago that was sent out with the RFPs. So who knows what this developer wants to do.

https://webcms.pima.gov/UserFiles/Se...tations....pdf

Last edited by AZ71; Nov 1, 2020 at 9:12 PM. Reason: Clarify

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 11:43 PM

Quote:
It might be important to note that the height limit of Tucson buildings is 300 feet. From what I remember, back in the late 80s when One South Church was built the local Nimby's went nuts saying it was too tall for our small city and they didn't want to be another Phx. That it interfered with the mountain views. So the city lowered it to 300 feet max.

!
That is so pathetically Tucson, sorry. I was born there but, dang, what an idiotic statement...300 ft obstructing mountain views

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 12:55 AM

I agree. I'm a native and the nimby's frustrate me. Same reason we dont have a crosstown freeway. Sadly the city usually always sides with locals.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2020, 3:33 PM

Quote:
I agree. I'm a native and the nimby's frustrate me. Same reason we dont have a crosstown freeway. Sadly the city usually always sides with locals.
Personally, I'm glad we don't have a multi-highway system. I used to think it would be great. But now, more highways= more cars = bad traffic = more pollution. We should of modeled after cities with extensive light rail and extensive walkable neighborhoods imo.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2020, 3:41 PM

Quote:
During that Youtube Zoom meeting the developers said it would be about the same height at the Pima County Legal Services building which is 260 feet. So I would guess around that height. If it was closer to the One South Church (which is 330 feet) I think he would have made that comparison.

Its my opinion if you're building something that tall you might as well make it the tallest bldg in Tucson. I think that alone would have marketing appeal with economic benefit to be able to claim that. I emailed Peach Properties and urged them to go higher. Maybe some of you guys that share that viewpoint can email them too and tell them to go HIGHER!
I wish we could go much higher too. I remember someone saying 75 E Broadway will be the 2nd tallest building and currently it's Bank of America plaza according to Google which is at 264 ft, so higher than that! Lol

Old Posted Nov 4, 2020, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsaturn View Post
Personally, I'm glad we don't have a multi-highway system. I used to think it would be great. But now, more highways= more cars = bad traffic = more pollution. We should of modeled after cities with extensive light rail and extensive walkable neighborhoods imo.
Oh I agree, but where I live...it takes me a 30-45 minute drive to get to a freeway. So that's 45 minutes of stop-and-go traffic and exhaust filling the air. I still think they needed a loop freeway so those of us on the east side can get to the west side reasonably.

I do agree about new transit ideas, but the city fails with that too. They're tearing up Broadway as we speak and aren't including the trolly expansion or light rail at all...even though its in the RTA long term goals. They approved that Tucson Int'l Airport to Tucson Mall path but instead of light rail or trolly it'll be a bus. I mean we fail at everything. Cant they see a light rail or trolley brings investment along its route. You wont get that with a bus line.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2020, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Oh I agree, but where I live...it takes me a 30-45 minute drive to get to a freeway. So that's 45 minutes of stop-and-go traffic and exhaust filling the air. I still think they needed a loop freeway so those of us on the east side can get to the west side reasonably.

I do agree about new transit ideas, but the city fails with that too. They're tearing up Broadway as we speak and aren't including the trolly expansion or light rail at all...even though its in the RTA long term goals. They approved that Tucson Int'l Airport to Tucson Mall path but instead of light rail or trolly it'll be a bus. I mean we fail at everything. Cant they see a light rail or trolley brings investment along its route. You wont get that with a bus line.
That's a good point! Tearing up Broadway and not implementing a rail line is now a lost cause. Unfortunately, I do not see Tucson having an eco-friendly and mass transit system. It can be improved but it won't be like anything on the East coast.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2020, 11:00 PM
Todo para la familia

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsaturn View Post
That's a good point! Tearing up Broadway and not implementing a rail line is now a lost cause. Unfortunately, I do not see Tucson having an eco-friendly and mass transit system. It can be improved but it won't be like anything on the East coast.

It would have been great to see a rail line go from Broadway/Euclid to Broadway/Pantano area. Do the same thing on Grant. Have the Grant line go through to Sabino Canyon area or at least Udall Park.

Also, utilize Aviation highway and have a light rail go from Golf Links/Craycroft all the way to Downtown Links portion of Broadway.

I don't even know if the future streetcar routes will ever happen but it doesn't surprise me that such projects a just "good idea" fairies.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2020, 11:24 PM

Old Tucson Studios - Redevelopment

I know everyone has heard the former operators of Old Tucson (Don Diamond Ventures) ended their lease (thankfully) with the county and Pima County is now overseeing it as they search out "Requests for proposals" for new operators. They now have a task force in place brainstorming.

They have had their first zoom meeting and I'll post that here:
https://youtu.be/4qEf9X8w4jw

They are looking for suggestions from the community for their ideas too: OldTucsonFeedback@pima.gov

Everything is listed here: https://webcms.pima.gov/cms/One.aspx...9&pageId=18639

What I will say is what they decide can be HUGE for Tucson and its development. Many want investment back into the movie lot to center around filmmaking again. (Don Diamond for 25 years focused on theme park and not filmmaking). So rebuilding the sound stages and bringing productions back to Tucson. But if you listen to their brainstorming ideas they seem a bit off point talking about camping or glamping. Log rolling, ecotourism, etc. This is all WRONG.

I have some inside information people like Netflix have been sniffing around to operate it as a permanent backlot for them. Note Netflix recently bought Albuquerque Studios and are doing a majority of their filming there. ABQ Studios have expressed interest in acquiring it too. But we as a community need to force Pima County to go this direction. Make it a working lot again to hire people in the industry which will in turn only boost our economy and our building. I urge you all to give your feedback to them.

Their next zoom meeting is Nov 10th so we'll see if anything has happened. But I fear this task force might go more of a local direction (theme park and rodeo and camping venue) rather than choosing a bigger picture of studio filmmaking again.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2020, 4:23 PM

This morning, among the accounts Instagram suggests I should follow, appeared one called citizenhoteltucson. I Googled it and found this: https://www.thecitizenhoteltucson.com/.

82 S. Stone is just south of 1 W. Broadway.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2020, 5:42 AM

Sonoran Corridor (1-10 to I-19 freeway) Update

The Draft Tier EIS is finally finished and public comments will be heard on Dec 1st in person or online Dec 3rd. (This project is painstakingly slow. But every little step helps.)

https://tucson.com/news/local/public...1WSde-sX-pqua0

Here is a link to the website: https://azdot.gov/planning/transport...pact-statement

Old Posted Nov 10, 2020, 3:43 AM

Updated view of The Flin apartments under construction

Photo: Tofel Dent

Old Posted Nov 10, 2020, 10:07 PM
Todo para la familia

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheBurbs View Post
Updated view of The Flin apartments under construction

Photo: Tofel Dent
This looks out of place. Especially because they retained some of the La Placita buildings alongside the newer Flin apartments. I hope they fix up the original buildings so it looks a little newer (fresh coat of paint at least). And that gazebo needs to be upgraded to a stage or a massive awning to host events (COVID Friendly area hopefully).

EDIT: I haven't been following this project so if there is a plan for the gazebo area, my apologies.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest