HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 1:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
in my opinion, Pinawa is a town that I'm shocked hasn't really taken off. 1:20 to the City, located on a major waterway, golf, pool, hospital. tons nature walks. I'd consider it as a early retirement place
I actually know two couples in their 50s who made the move out there once their kids finished high school. They are also at a point in their careers where their time is more flexible so they don't have to commute everyday, but I know for sure one of them absolutely hates the drive especially in winter. I think it's just a touch too far on not great roads to really take off as a 'bedroom community.'

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny D Oh View Post
I actually know two couples in their 50s who made the move out there once their kids finished high school. They are also at a point in their careers where their time is more flexible so they don't have to commute everyday, but I know for sure one of them absolutely hates the drive especially in winter. I think it's just a touch too far on not great roads to really take off as a 'bedroom community.'
It is a pretty tiny place too, so you'd really have to be comfortable being without the resources of a city or even a well equipped small town.

Probably a good place for people in their 50s and 60s who like the outdoor lifestyle and don't mind long highway drives, but I could see the appeal diminishing for those who hit their 70s and beyond and aren't as interested in the outdoor stuff anymore and need to make more frequent trips to the doctor, etc. But that's still a long time in one's life that you could enjoy the surroundings.

Makes me wonder... does Manitoba have any communities with outsized numbers of retirees? To some extent there's less pressure to do that than in a place like Vancouver or Toronto where you can really cash in by selling a paid-off home.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
It seems that the Google Earth program on Windows has finally updated the default satellite imagery of Winnipeg and surrounding area, since it's been stuck on 2014 imagery for 7 years.
I'm a little late responding to this, but there has always been more recent photograph available. You just need to click on the clock icon in the top menu area to bring up a slider that lets you select from all available photography dates. Currently it looks like April 21, 2020 is the most current (for downtown).

It's just that the default imagery that loads when you start the program is for the best quality image, not the newest image. That's why they were using that older image - it was a high quality satellite pass.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 4:23 PM

Up until sometime in the last few months, I cant remember the exact date, the latest imagery in Winnipeg was from Oct 2017. The April 2020 was added and was available in the historic imagery tab. It's now the default imagery in Google Earth.

I had been waiting for some new imagery for a very long time haha It would be nice if tehy could do another round of the 3d imagery that's available in Google Maps. That imagery is getting old. ALT is under construction. So whatever timeframe that is. 2014 seems right.

Last edited by bomberjet; Mar 11, 2021 at 4:34 PM.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
It is a pretty tiny place too, so you'd really have to be comfortable being without the resources of a city or even a well equipped small town.

Probably a good place for people in their 50s and 60s who like the outdoor lifestyle and don't mind long highway drives, but I could see the appeal diminishing for those who hit their 70s and beyond and aren't as interested in the outdoor stuff anymore and need to make more frequent trips to the doctor, etc. But that's still a long time in one's life that you could enjoy the surroundings.

Makes me wonder... does Manitoba have any communities with outsized numbers of retirees? To some extent there's less pressure to do that than in a place like Vancouver or Toronto where you can really cash in by selling a paid-off home.
Based on my circle I'd say several regions have tons of retirees, Parkland, Interlake, Whiteshell/Winnipeg River region and Morden/Winkler has attracted several of my older family members and contacts with the hospital and retirement housing.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 3:01 PM

I'm not sure who here is on Twitter, but this account, "Canadian Paintings", posts some great Canadian art that occasionally depict modern Winnipeg:

https://twitter.com/CanadaPaintings/...545208833?s=20

https://twitter.com/CanadaPaintings/...404235777?s=20

Old Posted Mar 16, 2021, 1:00 PM

i know many of you shit on suburb development, but I'm sure many of you would enjoy this in a more urban location. nice looking in my opinion, more Sage Creek

https://streetsidewinnipeg.com/sage-...s-coming-soon/

Old Posted Mar 16, 2021, 2:21 PM

Looks nice.

There's something similar along Transcona Blvd. Look a bit different and not the greatest of streets though as it's pretty busy.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2021, 2:29 PM

^ Those are a cut above the typical type of townhouse development we've seen in recent years.

In my community newspaper, there was a recent article saying that Sage Creek is starting up its final phase. How time flies... I still think of it as a brand new area, but it has almost filled right up.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2021, 2:33 PM

Sage Creek Phase 10 did some public consultation with the local residents. I was surprised people were actually sane about what they said haha Documents are also posted on the streetside website for Sage Creek. It'll still be a number of years before Sage Creek is built out. probably 5-10 years. They just started on phase 9 last year.

I tend to pay attention to Sage Creek, in terms of new housing stock. Don't think I'd want to live down there. But they seem have the best selection of new homes. We'll be moving next year and not sure if we'll build new or find a good old house yet.

The south end of Waverley West, whatever it's called again, seems to have crappier selection than the north end. Waverley West has some pretty swanky new homes too. Again, wouldn't want to live there.

Trying to find a decent infill lot is not easy though..

Old Posted Mar 16, 2021, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Sage Creek Phase 10 did some public consultation with the local residents. I was surprised people were actually sane about what they said haha Documents are also posted on the streetside website for Sage Creek. It'll still be a number of years before Sage Creek is built out. probably 5-10 years. They just started on phase 9 last year.

I tend to pay attention to Sage Creek, in terms of new housing stock. Don't think I'd want to live down there. But they seem have the best selection of new homes. We'll be moving next year and not sure if we'll build new or find a good old house yet.

The south end of Waverley West, whatever it's called again, seems to have crappier selection than the north end. Waverley West has some pretty swanky new homes too. Again, wouldn't want to live there.

Trying to find a decent infill lot is not easy though..
The struggle is real, my wife and I were looking(ish) for a couple years. The the infill we wanted just isn't being built and the effort to do it ourselves just wasn't worth it. In the end we're moving to Sage Creek. My wife was originally against that idea but she kept noticing that the area ticks off all the important boxes for her.

People here may bash the burbs, and I get it. It really does offer a great place to raise a family though.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2021, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
The struggle is real, my wife and I were looking(ish) for a couple years. The the infill we wanted just isn't being built and the effort to do it ourselves just wasn't worth it. In the end we're moving to Sage Creek. My wife was originally against that idea but she kept noticing that the area ticks off all the important boxes for her.

People here may bash the burbs, and I get it. It really does offer a great place to raise a family though.
One problem I have with postwar suburbs is that there's nowhere interesting to walk. Older suburban areas like Crescentwood, Riverview, Old St. B., Scotia, Fraser's Grove, Kingston Row, etc. I never get tired of.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2021, 3:46 PM

Quote:

I was in the same boat, I did live in an infill house in Riverview before but it wasn't really suited to a family with kids for the long haul... once the kids started school we ended up moving to St. Vital, fairly close to the U of M, St. Vital Park, the mall and some other amenities. So even though it's the suburbs, there is a fair bit nearby us unlike the neighbourhood where I grew up (Tyndall Park) where there wasn't all that much nearby.

Although we looked pretty hard, there just weren't any infill houses on the market that met our needs, and we were reluctant to take on the project of building one. But the good news is that infill activity appears to be picking up so hopefully the next generation will have more options to choose from in older, more established neighbourhoods.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2021, 4:15 PM

Quote:

Sage Creek for me is kind of on the opposite end of the world. Where I live in EK now is somewhat central for my travels. Family/friends in EK, Transcona, St. B, north of the City. Hockey is on the north side for me. May seem trivial but driving 3 times a week crosstown, late nights, etc. The guy that lives in Sage Creek is no longer on our team because of it...

I used to work downtown, but now will be back out in the engineering ghettos of south Winnipeg. So that'd be decent I guess. Definitely miss being downtown..

Otherwise Sage Creek has the amenities. Sobeys, TD, Shell, Tim Horton's. I don't go many other places on a weekly basis haha downside like I said is it's out there.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2021, 6:00 PM

Sage Creek has lots lots lots gravel trails throughout their ponds area and paved path along Bishop Grandin brings you all the way to Pembina. The variety of stores & restaurants is increasing constantly. the biggest eye blight is the recent Dollarama, lol. The amount of single family homes range from $400 to $1 mil, plus they have 1 built and another on the way 55+ building, lots of townhomes and huge village of apartments. I don't live there, but am in awe of how they truly built / building their own village there.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2021, 12:41 AM

There's a pothole at York and Osborne with a rail in it!
Small stain

Old Posted Mar 27, 2021, 5:02 AM

A sad reminder haha

Old Posted Mar 27, 2021, 11:50 AM

^That opened up there last year or the year before. Saw it but didn't get a chance to grab a picture before it was repaired.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2021, 12:54 PM

This is not Winnipeg story, but a Calgary one. A Dairy Queen burns down, and the insurance company will cover rebuilding a new one. The land owner wants a replacement and the franchisee wants a replacement. However very urban city counsellor wants them to build a multi story mixed use residential that will still have a DQ on the main floor but it won’t be a drive-through because she wants drive-thru banned. There’s a future transit corridor coming there.

https://calgaryherald.com/opinion/co...ms-up-in-smoke

Old Posted Apr 24, 2021, 2:57 PM
There is always a way

Seems a little harsh. Over time the value of land will justify the denser use but I would be pissed if by no fault of my own my business burned down then was told I couldn't rebuild because of someone else's preference for what the land use is.
Federalist #10, James Madison

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan