HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

The Brooklyn Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 1, 2021, 8:12 PM
I like Skyscrapers 🏙

Did they actually reduced the height of this skyscraper from 1,099’ to 1,073’? Nah, I want it taller. The taller the buildings, the better. Well, in my opinion.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2021, 8:43 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raysiri View Post
Did they actually reduced the height of this skyscraper from 1,099’ to 1,073’? Nah, I want it taller. The taller the buildings, the better. Well, in my opinion.
It was originally 1066', they tweak heights during construction now and then.

The difference is barely noticeable, it's still much taller than anything else in Brooklyn (hopefully not for long). Even the highest occupied floor will still likely be right around the supertall (300 meter) mark.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2021, 5:35 AM
West End & Riverside

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
some of you are smoking 1990s doobies, because tourists are everywhere in downtown brooklyn and westernmost queens these days.
Edibles, but I don't smoke

Quote:
Yeah, downtown Brooklyn is already pretty thick with tourists. An observation deck will come, but in a commercial tower.
I live adjacent to DT Bklyn, I'm not sure what your definition of "thick" is but I certainly wouldn't call it that, even before the pandemic. Sure there are hotels around here and people who walk through for the Promenade or on those dumb buses, but it is nowhere even close to 1/100th the magnitude of Midtown or FiDi. I most often work in banks around Bryant Park & Times Square and to go from that madness on a Friday night (as I just did) and get off at Dekalb to walk home couldn't be more of a dichotomy. I don't see Bklyn getting an ob deck for a long time, if ever. When you think about it we already have them, they're called Brooklyn Heights (Promenade), Brooklyn Bridge Park, Dumbo waterfront etc. These areas can sometimes be "thick" with tourists on the weekend, but I live two blocks from Downtown and seeing tourists is a rarity even when I walk to/from Dekalb or go over to Borough Hall. And I like it this way

Old Posted Oct 2, 2021, 1:29 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerumer View Post
Edibles, but I don't smoke

Anyways...

I think DoBro will see a nice Obs deck in the future. What I would like is for the downtown node to switch from more residential to office construction. There is a ton of potential. I think it will happen in time. Wouldn't shock me if LIC gets one down the line as well. What's gone down in LIC in the last 10 years has been nothing short of amazing.

On a side note but the Brooklyn Bridge is tourist mecca. The bicyclists get so mad. Some of these tourists don't respect the bicycle lane (they don't in general) but there's one on the Brooklyn Bridge. Hard to tell because of Francis and Ivan stopping in the middle of it to take a photo.

Usually after the bridge ends, the tourist masses start to kind of taper off. Still there but not on the level on the actual bridge.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2021, 9:07 PM
West End & Riverside

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
[IMG]the Brooklyn Bridge is tourist mecca. The bicyclists get so mad. Some of these tourists don't respect the bicycle lane (they don't in general) but there's one on the Brooklyn Bridge. Hard to tell because of Francis and Ivan stopping in the middle of it to take a photo.

Usually after the bridge ends, the tourist masses start to kind of taper off. Still there but not on the level on the actual bridge.
Yeah, before the pandemic it became so bad there was a volunteer group out there in dayglo vests to keep tourists from straying off the walking side. I stopped using it altogether it was such a hassle. But as you say it always tapered at the tower on the Brooklyn side and very few completed the walk over. Which is smart because it's not easy to get from the bridge down to the waterfront and people unfamiliar with the area get lost and end up in the PJ's
It's much nicer now, I realize a lot of businesses and cultural institutions (in Manhattan mostly) and our tax revenue depend on tourism, but it has been so serene without all of it. People in cities like Amsterdam and Paris are realizing the same thing, that too much tourism is almost a sickness, and more reasonable heads will prevail hopefully. We could turn all those horrid Kaufman hotels into SRO's and nobody would be homeless anymore! Just a thought. But it's coming back now, Times Square is crowded again and it spreads from there.

Anywho, had a bunch of errands today so took some 9Dkb shots from different locales. For the record, I walked all the way out to Barclays, back through Downtown and circled home to Boerum Hill and didn't see a single group of people I could identify as tourists. It's crowded out there for sure, but they're nearly all NY'ers running errands like me. So I don't know where this "thick with tourists" notion is coming from.

80 Flatbush under excavation and having piles driven below:

Last edited by Barney Greengrass; Oct 10, 2021 at 8:15 PM.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2021, 8:34 PM
Member of SSP since 1997

Didn't get to Brooklyn on my recent trip, but snapped a few of 9 DeKalb.

From Roosevelt Island:

From Roosevelt Island Tramway:

From Circle Line Ferry:

Old Posted Oct 4, 2021, 10:09 AM

Quote:

On a side note but the Brooklyn Bridge is tourist mecca. The bicyclists get so mad. Some of these tourists don't respect the bicycle lane (they don't in general) but there's one on the Brooklyn Bridge. Hard to tell because of Francis and Ivan stopping in the middle of it to take a photo.

During the pandemic, tourist numbers dropped but the NY craziness remained. I crossed it early one morning and was passed by a traditionally-dressed Hasidic Jew who appeared to be out jogging, and a woman in a red cocktail dress inside a zorb ball.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2021, 1:59 PM

The Brooklyn Bridge bicycle lanes are on the roadway, not the pedestrian path. They built a new bikeway relatively recently.

I doubt there are many bikes interacting with pedestrians anymore.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2021, 4:09 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:

Anyways...

I think DoBro will see a nice Obs deck in the future. What I would like is for the downtown node to switch from more residential to office construction. There is a ton of potential. I think it will happen in time. Wouldn't shock me if LIC gets one down the line as well. What's gone down in LIC in the last 10 years has been nothing short of amazing.

it's not that tourists don't, or should i say didn't in the before times, respect the bikeway section, its that the bridge often gets/got packed with tourists and commuters and it was hella dangerous as walkers and bikers were on the same way too narrow/undivided path.

thank goodness they just separated out the terrorist biker path recently, that was long overdue.

anyhoo, back to the tower ...

Old Posted Oct 5, 2021, 12:54 AM
West End & Riverside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
The Brooklyn Bridge bicycle lanes are on the roadway, not the pedestrian path. They built a new bikeway relatively recently.

I doubt there are many bikes interacting with pedestrians anymore.
I had no idea, I definitely need to check that out - It's about time!

Found a video, looks like it just opened 2 weeks ago! https://gothamist.com/news/long-awai...rooklyn-bridge

Old Posted Oct 6, 2021, 4:48 PM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Oct 6, 2021 at 5:24 PM.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2021, 11:47 AM
I like Skyscrapers 🏙

Whaaaat? There’s another Apple store? In Brooklyn? No way.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2021, 12:10 AM

Quote:
There have been multiple Apple stores in Brooklyn for many years now. I believe the first was in Williamsburg. Though that Flatbush Ave. location is relatively new, probably in the last five years.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2021, 1:28 AM

There's also a new store coming to the Bronx.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2021, 7:11 AM

Quote:
I believe Apple wanted the Dime Savings Bank for one their stores at one time.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2021, 3:44 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
There's also a new store coming to the Bronx.

yep -- and it's the 11th apple store in ny:

https://therealdeal.com/2021/09/21/a...n-in-new-york/

Old Posted Oct 9, 2021, 6:28 PM
West End & Riverside

Bit dreary today, but here're some shots from running errands this morning, starting with a really nice view dropping off my dry cleaning:

Last edited by Barney Greengrass; Oct 9, 2021 at 7:55 PM.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2021, 8:18 PM
West End & Riverside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
that Flatbush Ave. location is relatively new, probably in the last five years.
My sister worked on this project (engineer), it's part of 300 Ashland (TEN Arquitectos & Ismael Leyva) and opened winter 2017. There's also a Whole Foods and vegan burger joint in the base, it's truly a remote-gig yipster paradise!

Old Posted Oct 9, 2021, 9:25 PM

Boerumer Great pics!

Old Posted Oct 10, 2021, 8:33 PM
West End & Riverside

Quote:
Originally Posted by ht-freak View Post
Boerumer Great pics!
Thanks, but my pics can't convey just how well done the details are on this tower, the bronze façade elements are even nicer in the flesh, just like 111 57th and once it gets a washing the contrast should be arresting in then sun or lit up at night.

There must be a couple more floors left to build, how many are supposed to be above that double height floor? I count at least 9 in the drawings before roof mechanicals and crown, but I'm not sure which drawings are most recent. I will keep an eye out for the tree

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture