HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 25, 2021, 2:20 PM
somewhere in-between

Info plus a rendering for Detroit's first Target store, which will be in "urban format" - planned as the anchor tenant in the new City Club Apartments development in the Midtown area -

Quote:
Target store coming to Detroit
Kirk Pinho | Crain's Detroit Business
October 25, 2021

Source: Crain's Detroit Business

Last edited by deja vu; Oct 25, 2021 at 3:09 PM.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2021, 2:46 PM

Wow, that's great news! The transformation of the downtown and the vicinity surrounding downtown over the last 10 years has been amazing.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2021, 8:38 PM

New cultural district planned in East Village

Quote:
A new public space, gallery, bed and breakfast, skatepark, and sculpture garden will be housed across 2.5 acres and a 110-year-old church in East Village. Anchored by The Shepherd, the project will create a new cultural district on Detroit's east side.

The church sits on Parkview street, a couple blocks up from East Jefferson and a few blocks from Pewabic Pottery.

Led by Anthony & JJ Curis of the Library Collective, the project includes:

The adaptive reuse of the church, which will have two galleries, a library, classrooms, and workshop space;
A boutique bed & breakfast in the church rectory, which will also be home to the headquarters of the Modern Ancient Brown Foundation;
A skatepark supported by Tony Hawk, Alec Beck, and artist McArthur Binion;
A sculpture garden dedicated to celebrated Detroit artist Charles McGee;
A public greenspace with a former alley-turned-walkway called The Nave; a cafe will go in a former parking garage;
Two nearby homes that will be adapted into commercial space; BridgeHouse will have a two-story deck with performance space overlooking the area.

Charles McGee Legacy Park

The Nave

The Shepherd

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 1:27 PM
somewhere in-between

^ Pretty cool-looking concepts.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2021, 10:36 PM
Detroiter4life

Although its just a conceptual plan now, it will be amazing for the riverfront if this comes to pass.

Courtesy of Crains Detroit

Quote:
The owner of the former Joe Louis Arena site on the Detroit River envisions at least part of its redevelopment to include a 24-story, 290-foot residential high-rise.

The vision is laid out in a conceptual plan submitted to the city in July, which Crain's obtained through a Freedom of Information Act request on Friday. In the plan, Sterling Group — which is run by founder Gary Torgow's adult children — says the tower would tentatively be named The Louis and have 500 studio and one-bedroom units.

Specific plans for the property have not been publicly discussed since an affiliate of Sterling Group acquired the 9-acre property and the arena's 3,000-space parking deck as part of a complicated $14.1 million deal struck two years ago with the city.
https://www.crainsdetroit.com/real-e...uis-arena-site

Old Posted Nov 5, 2021, 10:39 PM

Not the most amazing design in the world but I'm sure it'll evolve before groundbreaking. I hope we get a hotel tower too or something. This'll be transformational for the western side of the skyline.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2021, 7:24 AM

The Free Press has an additional rendering of The Louis.

It also sounds like Sterling Group isn't planning any new parking on the JLA site and instead will be using the old Joe Louis Garage, which is currently under renovation.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2021, 4:14 PM

Why residential?? This is the perfect spot for a convention center hotel, or an expansion.

This plot of land is so isolated. It's not where I'd pick to live downtown.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2021, 4:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
Why residential?? This is the perfect spot for a convention center hotel, or an expansion.

I'm sure this is just the initial announcement before we hear the full plans. A hotel has always been discussed as part of the project so I'd imagine they're waiting to land an operator or something along those lines before making an announcement. This residential tower only takes up about an eighth of the site.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2021, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post

Won’t The Q be down there by then?

Old Posted Nov 8, 2021, 4:22 AM

No doubt It’s not the most accessible spot but it’s not damn near cut off from the grid like the riverfront towers on the other side of TCF Center still though you have a point. I’m all for this don’t get me wrong but I can’t decide if it will add a little balance to Heart Plaza via ren cen or if it will stick out slightly awkwardly.

More hotel space adjacent to TCF is needed timing seems to be the key however with potentially large amount coming online in the Hudsons Tower. The X factor is covid with the first signs of true economic recovery pushing to pre-pandemic levels there’s a good case for a safe bet like housing. Office space & tourism related industries like hotels might need a bit more sussing out that there is light at the end of the tunnel not the headlights of another train named delta flying towards us.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2021, 8:38 PM

I found this while scoping my way through real estate listing to post over on the found Detroit thread shame I couldn’t find a larger image size because it’s got city modern progress along with the TCF-Huntington Tower.

Zillow

Old Posted Nov 8, 2021, 9:15 PM

Anyone hear about this project I don’t recall anything being posted recently about its called Petit Bateau and Frederick at Beaubien in the cultural center I came across a pre-leasing listing for an “active commercial project”.

Realnex

Realnex

Realnex

Old Posted Nov 8, 2021, 10:49 PM

It's technically next to the convention center, but it's on the wrong side of it. It would just be so you could advertise the hotel as being connected, but the actual connection would be awkward.

I think the appeal of the site is that it's off to the side of downtown, but connected to it by the People Mover. And of course it's on the riverfront. I feel like that's particularly appealing for residential, for people who might both work and socialize downtown, but who at the end of the day want to go home to someplace different, and somewhere a bit quieter.

Also, Detroit doesn't really have the modern highrise living that's standard in other big cities. For a long time people thought there wasn't demand for anything downtown, but as things have been built, it's turned out that there was demand for downtown all along but it was being masked by the fact that what people wanted wasn't available for them to show demand for. It's like a restaurant having microwaved frozen pizza on their menu and concluding there was no demand for pizza when no one ever ordered it. So I think this building will reveal there are a lot of people who want to live in a new modern tower with a view, and previously weren't considering Detroit because what they wanted didn't exist.

Also, the rendering makes this building look short but it's about the same height as Riverfront Towers and the shorter Ren Cen towers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee1526 View Post
Won’t The Q be down there by then?
You can't run a streetcar mixed in traffic through a highway interchange, so it's not possible to extend the QLine to this area.

You'd have to remove the freeway and completely rebuild the road infrastructure. And then once you did that, if there were to be a QLine extension on the west side of downtown it would make more sense to go down Michigan.

Personally I think the city needs to proactively do some long term planning work for that area. I think any development there should not prevent the freeway from being removed, 3rd being reconnected (either as a bridge or with freeway removal), rail being rebuilt for a passenger rail station either at the JLA garage or even underneath the convention center, and a People Mover extension.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 3:09 PM

The crane for The Hudson site is now clearly visible from across the river. I thought seeing the Book Tower and the Stott building lit up for the first time in forever was exciting but now this is even better.
If the JLA site gets moving any time soon, that would be a site to see

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselXL View Post
The crane for The Hudson site is now clearly visible from across the river. I thought seeing the Book Tower and the Stott building lit up for the first time in forever was exciting but now this is even better.
If the JLA site gets moving any time soon, that would be a site to see
Now downtown Windsor just needs to wake up and start building some high-rises.

What the heck you guys? How can you be one of the fastest growing cities in Canada and not have a skyline full of cranes by now?

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 11:06 PM

Nonprofit Life Remodeled announces plan to bid on, transform vacant Cooley High School

Quote:
A Detroit-based nonprofit announced it plans to propose to purchase and develop the former, and now vacant, Cooley High School on Detroit's west side.

In an announcement to the community Wednesday, Life Remodeled presented details on its planned proposal to the Detroit Public Schools Community District Board, the building's current owner. Similar to the organization's Durfee Innovation Society, Cooley will be transformed into an "opportunity hub" if the board agrees to sell.

Cooley High School has been vacant since 2010 and sits upon 18 acres of land. Life Remodeled plans to offer the school district $400,000 for the school and intends to invest $37.5 million in development over three years.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2021, 2:14 AM

Stanley Hong's Mannia Cafe addition receives Historic Commission approval

Quote:
One of the most unique buildings in Detroit is another step closer to its planned rehab. On Wednesday, the Detroit Historic District Commission approved plans for additions to Stanley Hong's Mannia Cafe building, which will be turned into a performing arts venue.

The building was purchased by Jen Lyon of Mean Red Productions earlier this year. Plans include a large arts space with capacity for 700 people, a lounge for 150 people, and a restaurant. Elise DeChard of End Studios is the architect for the renovation.

The building was designed by noted Black architect Nathan Johnson, who passed away this week at age 96. Johnson was a prominent architect in Detroit, with buildings including the addition to the Second Baptist Church in Greektown, the People Mover stations, and Grace Episcopal Church.

Stanley Hong's, located in Milwaukee Junction at 249 East Baltimore, had a second life as the Rhythm Kitchen in the 1990s, and was owned by various churches after. The building has been vacant since 2013 and became a single building historic district in 2017. It's one of the few Googie style buildings in the area.

Detroit Food Commons lands state funding

Quote:
A proposed food co-op, event space, and kitchen nabbed key state funding yesterday, as the Michigan Strategic Fund approved a Michigan Community Revitalization Program grant and Brownfield tax capture for the Detroit Food Commons. The development will include a new two-story building on the corner of Woodward and Euclid, plus space for outdoor vendors.

The project received a $1.5 million Michigan Community Revitalization Program performance-based grant. The Michigan Strategic Fund also approved $509,634 in state tax capture for the City of Detroit Brownfield Redevelopment Authority.

When built, the first floor of the Detroit Food Commons will have a grocery co-op and cafe, while the second floor will have a kitchen, event space, and office space for the Detroit Black Community Food Security Network, who is working with Develop Detroit on the development.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2021, 10:52 PM

Not sure if this is official official (since I believe it was also announced in Feb. 2018), but it was announced by Big Sean on Instagram about building his movie theater in Midtown. Couldn't find any other sources such as Crain's, Freep, etc that confirms the "officialness" of this so take with grain of salt. It is on an oblong lot of MSU, but the picture he posted is of the 2nd Avenue Bridge.

https://www.metrotimes.com/the-scene...HomeTopFeature

Old Posted Nov 18, 2021, 7:13 PM
Registered Ugly

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations