View Poll Results: Do you think DFW will reach:11 million
11 million 26 42.62%
14 million 15 24.59%
Neither, another amount 20 32.79%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbao58 View Post
There is no way either city has the authority to do such a thing. It would have to be the state and that won't happen even after hell freezes over.
Yup! This would have to be a State of Texas-led effort. Even then, there are going to be a quadzillion private property owners, who purchased land with the intent to develop, screaming bloody murder; that the State is taking their development rights by instituting a Urban Growth Boundary without just compensation in violation of the Fifth Amendment!

Not to say it's impossible, but it would have to be farm/ranch way out in the fringes with no foreseeable development potential for an Urban Growth Boundary to be enforceable. Even then, why would the State of Texas legislature do such a thing?

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 3:15 PM

Nashville's suburban sprawl will only continue in a predictable way to the north, east, and southeast. Cheatham County, directly west of Davidson, has rugged hills and has almost zero highway access. The super-hard rock is very expensive to blast through and that's why there is no imminent proposal to complete the I-840 loop.

More interestingly, Williamson County, which borders Davidson to the southwest, imposed a draconian 5-acre minimum on new home permits in unincorporated areas.

I imagine that a Texas county near Dallas could impose a similar zoning requirement, but the Texas counties are 2X as big as Tennessee counties (roughly 1,000 sq miles versus 500 sq miles).

Then there is always the de facto urban growth boundary, caused by a lack of utilities. When there is a separate watershed, sewers can't be built without a completely separate system, and there has to be a huge commitment to development to justify that cost.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Yes, a lot of them do actually!The Eastern side of the 'plex has the lion's share of the job centers. I work with a lot of people from all over DFW including Burleson, Joshua, Weatherford, FW, and so on.
32% of DFW lives in Fort Worth-Arlington and 28% of it works there. https://www.bls.gov/regions/southwes...sfortworth.htm

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 8:57 PM
Unicorn Wizard!

I’m moving to Fort Worth in 3 weeks. No more Houston. Got a new job, office(job is hybrid with days onsite) is near TCU and so I’m thinking if I can rent near DT or the cultural district/west 7th for the time being. The west side of DFW seems to be quite a bit cheaper.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
DFW could reach 11-14 million by 2050 but a lot of Texas growth will get re-directed to Austin. It's the state capital, has a thriving tech sector, and they're far ahead of Dallas in terms of urban planning.
One current issue with Austin right now may be that it is not a major airline (or transportation) hub. While I am sure there are plenty of direct flights to/from places like SF, in many cases you have to connect thru Dallas or Houston via SWA, AA or UA. San Antonio has the same problem (and San Antonio's airport is not nice), which I surmise led to AT&T moving its HQs to Dallas from San Antonio. I don't know if Nashville is an air hub, but it seems like it is getting competitive with Dallas and Atlanta for corporate relocations and business growth. I think Nashville may emerge a main competitor to TX cities and Atlanta. It seems that Nashville is not a cheap city, and I have never been there, but it seems to be getting a lot of business buzz.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 2:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbao58 View Post
32% of DFW lives in Fort Worth-Arlington and 28% of it works there. https://www.bls.gov/regions/southwes...sfortworth.htm
And places like Arlington, Grapevine, Southlake, etc. are just as much a part of Dallas as they are FW. It's really difficult to try to divide the metro area which is why it's easier to think of it as one entity.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 3:01 AM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
And places like Arlington, Grapevine, Southlake, etc. are just as much a part of Dallas as they are FW. It's really difficult to try to divide the metro area which is why it's easier to think of it as one entity.
Sounds like the Bay Area. Heck, I know people that live in SF and commute to work in SV.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 7:41 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
Sounds like the Bay Area. Heck, I know people that live in SF and commute to work in SV.
Assuming Caltrain or BART otherwise that is quite the shitacular commute.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
I've heard about and met people in the LA area that start their driving commute at 4 am because they live on one side of the metro but work on another side. For example, I knew one person who lived in LA proper but worked in Palmdale, and one that worked at JPL in Pasadena but lived in Orange County.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 10:54 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
If you leave early enough, like 6 or 7 am it's doable in about 45-60 min (280 is better than 101). Not pleasant, but not as crazy as other super commutes out there.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2021, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Without Caltrain, that commute would be unworkable.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2021, 2:24 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCReid View Post
I've heard about and met people in the LA area that start their driving commute at 4 am because they live on one side of the metro but work on another side. For example, I knew one person who lived in LA proper but worked in Palmdale, and one that worked at JPL in Pasadena but lived in Orange County.
Nobel laureate Barry Barrish lives in Santa Monica and works at Caltech. No idea how he manages...

Old Posted Oct 29, 2021, 2:26 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Back in the late oughts when SF wasn't ludicrously expensive, tons of Stanford grad students lived in SF (especially Potrero). The baby bullet caltrains helped a lot...

But large tech companies in SV have private buses where people can work during their commutes.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2021, 2:30 AM

Quote:
Depending on where in LA proper, the train would be handy.

When I worked in Hollywood years ago, I knew someone who commuted to Hollywood from Riverside via Metrolink/Metro Rail. And pre-pandemic/WFH, my partner's company's (which is in Pasadena) HR director took Metrolink from Orange County (he lives in Tustin) to Union Station in DTLA and then took the Metro L (Gold) line to Pasadena. So it's doable without having to drive.

There are some options in the LA area, but I think many people would rather drive (or public transportation intimidates them, I don't know).

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Oct 29, 2021, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dariusb View Post
I recently read a couple of articles saying the DFW area is expected to hit a population of 11-14 million before slowing down. The CSA is about 8.2 million now. Do you think it's possible? Do you think it'll lose steam before then? If that really happens, hopefully it's transit network will be improved before then. People think traffic there is bad now, it'll really be hell if it reaches 11-14 million.
I really laugh when people complain about traffic in Dallas or Houston. Traffic flows very well for the most part and that is due to their constant investment in improving the freeways. Dallas actually has a semi decent transit network compared to other cities in Texas. I wish DFW would embark on something like Austin's plan or LA Metros Measure M.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2021, 1:15 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by plutonicpanda View Post
I really laugh when people complain about traffic in Dallas or Houston. Traffic flows very well for the most part and that is due to their constant investment in improving the freeways. Dallas actually has a semi decent transit network compared to other cities in Texas. I wish DFW would embark on something like Austin's plan or LA Metros Measure M.
Traffic flows well on freeways that were redeveloped but we still have a lot of ageing infrastructure built when the metros were less than half the size they are now. I-45 in either direction here in Houston is a shitshow. I-10 which was rebuilt about a decade ago does flow a lot better. Austin far and away the worst out of the four major metros. I-35 is a soul sucking experience...

Old Posted Oct 30, 2021, 1:59 AM

I totally agree with Houston traffic is not that bad for a metro it’s size. Coming from the Bay Area, I can never complain again. Pre-pandemic, there was no safe hour on the Bay Bridge. Even 5 in the morning.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2021, 2:03 AM

Quote:
I wonder do some people live in San Bernardino and drive to work in say dt LA? Or is that not possible?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2021, 2:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plutonicpanda View Post
If I'm not mistaken, a couple more commuter rail projects are underway in the DFW area. Also once the dt Dallas subway project gets started and completed, it'll do a lot of good for the entire transit system.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2021, 2:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dariusb View Post
If I'm not mistaken, a couple more commuter rail projects are underway in the DFW area. Also once the dt Dallas subway project gets started and completed, it'll do a lot of good for the entire transit system.
https://thetexan.news/high-speed-tra...moves-forward/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions