HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 22, 2021, 7:34 PM
Registered Drug User

Fun that the late run the Raps made against Washington in their season opener when they were down by over 20 points was due to the three Canadians on the team: Chris Boucher, Dalano Banton and Khem Birch. VanVleet and OG had crappy offensive games. When Toronto boy Banton came in (to great cheers, of course) in the second half he orchestrated an exciting comeback, though it fell short.

The real story right now, though, is that rookie Scottie Barnes is the real deal. He's going to be special if he continues on the trajectory of his potential.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2021, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
An NFL stadium is definitely a barrier. It's a lot less of a barrier if Toronto is a football obsessed market. The Skydome with minor revisions was considered adequate by the NFL in the 1990s. The billion dollar expansion or relocation fee was the stumbling block. The CFL wanted compensation too. It wasn't significant by comparison.

A new team would be the talk of the town. In my experience, the NFL is more popular in Toronto for all things around the game instead of the on field play. Those people would buy tickets to show off. That would wane as the team settles in and follows in the footprints of other mediocre Toronto teams.
Until someone wants to spend over $1 billion on an outdoor stadium (minimum) or $1.5 billion for an indoor stadium plus $2 billion US to try and buy and relocate a team (if the smaller market owners in Jacksonville and Buffalo are not able to extract concessions in the future for stadium upgrades or replacements (Buffalo almost assuredly will concede to paying for 50% of the new stadium)) or nearly $3 billion US for an expansion team (unlikely given the owners are not interested in splitting their tv money and corporate sponsorships and further for a one-time payout), it is a pipedream.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2021, 3:51 AM
Registered Drug User

What a fun team. Can't remember the last time a Raptors rookie was this exciting. Not since Vince Carter and Tracy McGrady, I figure. Scottie Barnes just went 25 and 13 in his second career NBA game. A freakin' double double. He's got it all: tall, plays great defense, can handle the ball, great passer, can go coast to coast, gets offensive rebounds.

The dude is 20 years old. Wow.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2021, 4:33 AM
Registered Drug User

Two Raptors made the NBA's just published list of the greatest 75 players of all-time.

Kawhi Leonard (2018-19)
Hakeem Olajuwon (2001-02)

The Dream was past his prime and ended up in Toronto as a fluke, so we can't really lay claim to him, but Kawhi is legit. Uh, even though it's tough laying claim to him too, seeing as how he absconded after the "greatest parade ever."

Old Posted Oct 23, 2021, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Two Raptors made the NBA's just published list of the greatest 75 players of all-time.

Kawhi Leonard (2018-19)
Hakeem Olajuwon (2001-02)

The Dream was past his prime and ended up in Toronto as a fluke, so we can't really lay claim to him, but Kawhi is legit. Uh, even though it's tough laying claim to him too, seeing as how he absconded after the "greatest parade ever."
The too 75 had some weird ones on there, and certainly left some quality players off. I know Bill Walton had a great NCAA career but come in the guy only made 2 Allstar games, and less than 500 games total. I would have loved to see Tracy McGrady or V.C on there or but no list is perfect.

Steve Nash deserves it and made Canada proud.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2021, 2:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Until someone wants to spend over $1 billion on an outdoor stadium (minimum) or $1.5 billion for an indoor stadium plus $2 billion US to try and buy and relocate a team (if the smaller market owners in Jacksonville and Buffalo are not able to extract concessions in the future for stadium upgrades or replacements (Buffalo almost assuredly will concede to paying for 50% of the new stadium)) or nearly $3 billion US for an expansion team (unlikely given the owners are not interested in splitting their tv money and corporate sponsorships and further for a one-time payout), it is a pipedream.
I think the stadium costs are more the issue than the cost of the team. NFL revenues are going to explode under the new TV deal, and teams can be pulling in upwards of $800 million or more per year each on average by the end of this decade, and the salary cap is about 48-49% of league revenue. I think some rich folks might look at the future revenues, presumed franchise value increases and say "yeah, I can swing that". But it's doubtful any of them want to spend that money on a stadium that has no hope of covering it's own costs.

However, I've often wondered what the renovation potential of the Skydome is, to turn it into a football only facility? Could they completely gut the lower level, and even lower the floor of the stadium, and rebuild that level into a nice tight football space, add some seating in that north end where the Budweiser and Westjet decks are and get the seating capacity over 60,000? The Blue Jays need a new ballpark anyway, so repurposing the dome would be a great idea.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2021, 2:56 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

What platforms are you guys using to watch Raptors games these days? I didn't bother with the last season, but now that I want to get back into it I was thinking of subscribing to Sportsnet via Google TV - until I learned that they only air 41 of the Raptors' games. Seems like a bit of a waste to pay $17/month and only get half of the season.

The previous season I had subscribed to NBA TV which was even worse though, as I couldn't watch any Raptors games live due to the media blackout in Canada. Are there are any decent options besides scouring the net for free streams any time I want to watch a game, or do you just have to subscribe to every cable sports network?

Old Posted Oct 25, 2021, 4:40 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
What platforms are you guys using to watch Raptors games these days? I didn't bother with the last season, but now that I want to get back into it I was thinking of subscribing to Sportsnet via Google TV - until I learned that they only air 41 of the Raptors' games. Seems like a bit of a waste to pay $17/month and only get half of the season.

The previous season I had subscribed to NBA TV which was even worse though, as I couldn't watch any Raptors games live due to the media blackout in Canada. Are there are any decent options besides scouring the net for free streams any time I want to watch a game, or do you just have to subscribe to every cable sports network?
NBA TV with a VPN to circumvent the blackouts. I've been doing it for years. I'm no expert on the different services out there, but "Strong VPN" has worked for me without a hitch.

NBA TV is great because you can shorten the time needed to watch the entire game. I wait until the game's halfway over or completely over, and then watch in an hour (by skipping halftime, commercial breaks, timeouts and even free throws) what would normally take two and a half hours.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2021, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post

Do as Rousseau suggests or you need TSN and Sportsnet. Because of the ownership structure of MLSE, TSN and Sportsnet share Raptors games. Same happens for radio for both Raptors and the Leafs. Similar, although to a smaller extent, happens with the Leafs on TV. TSN and Sportsnet share Leafs regional games, but Sportsnet also has the National rights for those 2 or 3 nights a week.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2021, 7:32 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Thanks, that makes sense. Though I'm not sure if I can use Google TV through a VPN - and having to hook up my laptop to the television every time I want to watch basketball seems cumbersome. Guess there's no winning!

I miss having cable with all the sports channels included.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2021, 9:10 PM

I sail the seas to watch sports if u get what I mean. Sports coverage is not adequate enough for the money it costs and coverage it provides. I’ll gladly support my franchise such as the OKC Thunder through merchandise instead.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2021, 7:24 PM
ハルウララ

https://www.oursportscentral.com/ser...pack/n-5758680

Canadian Elite Basketball League Adds Montréal Alliance to Its Pack
October 27, 2021 - Canadian Elite Basketball League (CEBL) News Release

Professional basketball is coming to Montreal. The Canadian Elite Basketball League (CEBL) announced Wednesday that the Montreal Alliance is being added as its ninth franchise and will begin play in 2022 at Verdun Auditorium.

"Montreal has evolved into one of the strongest regions for basketball in the country, and we are very excited to fuel that growth by bringing a pro franchise to the city," said Mike Morreale, Commissioner and Chief Executive Officer of the CEBL. "The refurbished historic Verdun Auditorium is an ideal setting for our fan-friendly entertainment experience. Montreal sports fans will see the best pro basketball in Canada outside of the NBA competing in one of the top FIBA leagues in the world."

Montreal joins Scarborough in the second round of CEBL expansion since the league launched prior to the 2019 season in Edmonton, Hamilton, Guelph, Fraser Valley (Abbotsford), Saskatchewan (Saskatoon), and Niagara (St. Catharines). Ottawa was added prior to the 2020 season. Quebec becomes the fifth province to serve as home to a CEBL team in what is Canada's first true coast-to-coast national pro basketball league.

https://www.mtlblog.com/montreal/mon...-been-unveiled

Old Posted Oct 31, 2021, 2:57 AM
你的媽媽

Raptors improve to 4-3. Barnes with a double-double. Looking like the leader in the ROY race this year.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2022, 1:02 PM
ハルウララ

The NBA’s youngest player is from Mississauga, and Spurs guard Joshua Primo is impressing legendary coach Gregg Popovich

Primo, drafted 12th overall by San Antonio, scored 15 points against the Raptors on Tuesday night in the 19-year-old’s NBA debut at Scotiabank Arena.

By Doug Smith
Wed., Jan. 5, 2022

In good and normal NBA times, the Raptors will round up a couple dozen little kids before each game, line them up in front of the players from both teams and let them stand there while the national anthems are performed.

It’s cute, it’s traditional and it makes for a nice video presentation on the scoreboard while the songs play on. But it sticks with the kids, it seems, and the chance to stand there and smile resonates for years to come.

It certainly did with the youngest player in the league, a teenager whose first appearance on an NBA court came as an anthem prop.

“My whole team got to be in front of the Raptors and I was star-struck (that) I got to see Rudy Gay for the first time,” Joshua Primo, the Mississauga native playing his rookie season with the San Antonio Spurs, said Tuesday. “They’ve been a big reason why I love this game.”

Primo’s ties with the Raptors and basketball in Canada are deep and started a journey that ended with the six-foot-six guard being the 12th pick in last summer’s NBA draft. He watched the Raptors closely as a youngster and credits his time at Scarborough’s Royal Crown Academic School as a key point in his development.

He has worked with the Canadian team over a handful of camps and training sessions. “One of my biggest goals is being able to play on the Canadian national team and then play in the Olympics,” he said.

To do that, the teen, who turned 19 on Christmas Eve, needs to continue to develop as he has in a promising NBA rookie season. He had a season-best 15 points when the Spurs were throttled by the Raptors on Tuesday night and San Antonio coach Gregg Popovich remains impressed with Primo’s talent and work ethic.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/rapto...-popovich.html

Old Posted Feb 16, 2022, 6:36 PM

Canadian basketball player dies in Bahrain at age 27
Kenny Ejim was playing with Al-Najma in the Bahraini Premier League
CBC News February 15, 2022

Old Posted Mar 6, 2022, 8:55 PM

Just surfing along and I saw something on the CIAU GOAT Mickey Fox. Hadn't thought of him in years, my sister went to school with him at SMU so back in the heyday as a kid I was a big fan. There were a rare few like Paul Brule in football who transcended the college game and were legends, Fox was also one of them. Found some clips and an interview (video (rare) is cued 7:55). It was the good old days of the CBC; if anybody doesn't think that CIAU basketball wasn't something back in the day, listen to the final thing Bruce Rainnie says at the end of the second video (9:25)

Video Link

Video Link

Episode 70 - Mickey Fox
September 3, 2021

Episode 70 with another legend: New York native and CAN-AM legend Mickey Fox joins A Hoops Journey to reflect on a storied career. The former St. Mary's Husky has quite the hoops journey from the Boroughs of New York, to the Maritimes and leaving his mark on Canadian Basketball. We chat with him about his upbringing, the jump from the US to Canada, twice getting drafted to the NBA, colouring skills and the legacy that the Maritimes has on Canada Basketball. This is a hilarious conversation with one of Canada's GOATS!

Old Posted Mar 7, 2022, 4:10 AM

The good ol' days

Video Link

I like the chant in the black during the commercial break

Old Posted Apr 23, 2022, 7:33 PM

Raptors made the playoffs but no posts since March 6th??
Man that Joel guy is awesome he's a machine!

Old Posted Apr 25, 2022, 1:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
Raptors made the playoffs but no posts since March 6th??
Man that Joel guy is awesome he's a machine!
They managed to avoid elimination Saturday, so while unlikely, hopes for a comeback from what was a 3-0 deficit are still alive.

Unfortunately Fred looks like he will be out with the hip issue, and Scotty is still limping around a bit, but Trent Jr. is back in form at least and Siakam and OG have been giving that Joel guy some physical resistance. He seemed to wilt a bit when people stood up to his bullying tactics on Saturday... lol.

I dare not hope for somebody to sustain an injury, but it wouldn't hurt the Raptors' chances if somebody were to finish off his thumb for him. I wouldn't normally even say such a thing except he has already caused injuries to the Raps with his 'style of play'... so a little payback wouldn't be out of the question IMHO.

The officiating improved a little bit in Saturday's game, but it still appears that the NBA wants them to look the other way when the fan-favourite 'superstars' get a little rough. I'm OK with "playoff officiating" but it has to go both ways...

Old Posted Apr 26, 2022, 2:51 AM
Registered Drug User

It's not hard to love this team. It may not happen, but I think they have a legitimate shot at winning the next two games and advancing to the next round.

It's fascinating how a playoff series can evolve. One team will look overmatched for a game or two, but then they'll find answers to problems they were having and pick up momentum. The Raps looked kinda crappy the first three games, but these last two games they looked just as dominant as they did during their last win over Philly in the regular season.

I detest James Harden and Joel Embid, and really want to see them with egg on their faces by losing four games in a row. But it's no big deal if Toronto loses one of the next two games and gets knocked out, because they're a young team with boatloads of potential who are going to be a real force over the next couple of years, and there were no expectations for them this season anyway.

This is all gravy. Winning that title really has soothed wounds and made the rebuilding process more bearable.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada