HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 10:02 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisouthside View Post
Last time I took the blue line from clark and lake to ohare it took me about 40 minutes. Was a couple of months ago. I ride the blue line almost everyday and havent really noticed slowdowns. The issue for me though is train frequency hasnt returned to pre covid levels.
Yeah same. I don't doubt there are slowdowns sometimes though.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeshoredrive View Post
I was just in Paris for a week for the first time and I was so blown away by the Metro system and how amazing it is. It is so efficient, fast, and easy to use in terms of getting around and transferring to the other lines. I am so mad that CTA is nothing like it. It's a shame. I cannot wait to go back to Paris again and use the Metro.
OK, the Metro Paris is great, but El Chicago has 2 lines (Red and Blue lines) with a 24/7 service.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 3:02 PM

I have no pictures to show, but some of the steel at the Clark junction flyover has been painted a sage green color. It’s visible at School street. I think the old tracks on the north side were originally a similar green color seen in historic photos

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 1:37 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzo View Post
I have no pictures to show, but some of the steel at the Clark junction flyover has been painted a sage green color. It’s visible at School street. I think the old tracks on the north side were originally a similar green color seen in historic photos
Interesting. They repainted the Brown Line structure at Roscoe awhile back but it was more of a light gray.

The area around School St is supposed to be totally replaced, from the north end of the Belmont station structure up to the alley south of Cornelia. Weird that they would repaint it.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 8:19 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

CTA cutting fares for passes: https://www.chicagobusiness.com/greg...oost-ridership

I did think the monthly pass was quite overpriced before (it really required using every weekday to be worthwhile).

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Interesting. They repainted the Brown Line structure at Roscoe awhile back but it was more of a light gray.

The area around School St is supposed to be totally replaced, from the north end of the Belmont station structure up to the alley south of Cornelia. Weird that they would repaint it.
It’s new steel track supports, slightly to the west, maybe 8-9’ out from the existing structure. I didn’t think the track straightening would shift to the west but I think it has to do with phased replacement, much like the strategy on freeway construction where they widen the shoulder for additional lanes while they remove existing.

I thought it was interesting too considering the roscoe section and Belmont station are a neutral gray or white. The green is really subtle but looks nice

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 11:04 PM
BDR 529

Let's just be thankful its not that wretched hunter green they paint the el's in New York.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2021, 6:08 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzo View Post
It’s new steel track supports, slightly to the west, maybe 8-9’ out from the existing structure. I didn’t think the track straightening would shift to the west but I think it has to do with phased replacement, much like the strategy on freeway construction where they widen the shoulder for additional lanes while they remove existing.

I thought it was interesting too considering the roscoe section and Belmont station are a neutral gray or white. The green is really subtle but looks nice
Yeah, temporary tracks are known as "shooflys" in railroad jargon.

I'm not sure if these are temporary though, if they were temporary I would just expect CTA to close the alley for a few months and throw up something quick. But the new track there looks permanent and they put in some complicated steelwork to straddle the alley.

It looks like they're starting the cutover process for the new flyover as well, they will need to demolish part of the Belmont station deck from 2009 and slide in the ready-made, wider deck they've been building alongside the tracks.

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:30 PM

Metra To Break Ground On Edgewater Station Next Week After Decade Of Planning
Joe Ward
4:28 PM CDT on Oct 26, 2021
Quote:
Most recently, work was slated to begin in May, but the Department of Water Management rejected Metra’s plans for environmentally friendly permeable pavers and green landscaping features.

The problem is the ground beneath the station holds city water mains, and the city’s Department of Water Management was worried about groundwater from the station leaking into the water mains, Metra officials said this spring when announcing the delay.

A new groundwater plan had to be submitted before work could move forward.
Quote:
The station will be as long as six train cars. Its Downtown-bound platform will have a warming shelter, including an enclosed waiting area and an additional warming station. The northbound platform will have a warming station as well, Metra officials said at a public meeting Monday.

There will be 41 on-site parking spaces at the station, with the ability to add more spaces if needed. A pedestrian plaza will include a car turnaround for dropoffs and pickups.

Metra had sought to build a station in Edgewater to help meet transit demand throughout the North Side. Prior to the pandemic, Metra estimated it would see 650 daily boardings at the station.

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:37 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ wow, and it only took a short little 12 FREAKING YEARS to finally get some shovels in the ground to build two relatively simple train platforms.

the snail's pace of transit infrastrucutre improvement in this country is utterly mind boggling at times.

anyone wanna place any bets on when that newly proposed west loop metra station might open?

i'm saying 2054, at the earliest.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Yesterday at 4:02 PM.

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:05 PM
BDR 529

The culture's gotta change. They don't seem to half a sense of urgency. Not one iota.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation