HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 1:03 AM

Lol, everyone is misreading everyone else's posts tonight. I wasn't calling for anything like a 100+, that was someone's sarcastic response.

My response to the sarcastic 100+ comment was, precisely:

'Because that would be way out of scale. We have a 423 foot tower under construction currently. Going to 500 or even 600 at the high end isn't that much more.

You realize the parking lot just Budweiser Garden is currently zoned for 150 meters?

And a lot of developers are currently wanting to go higher. For example, The One at Young and Bloor is under construction, and approved for 85. They have gone back and are asking for an increase to 94."

The article says more than 30 stories. Totally expect them to adjust to the market. If money is still cheap and especially if there are Ottawa dollars they can get (recall Old Oak had about $170M in load guarantees when the bought Centro, IIRC) maybe they still go with a tall showcase tower or set of towers.

I still think a great design of up to say 55 or maybe 60 would fit. See how nice One Richmond turned out! I would say anything higher than 60 would be out of scale.

What if someone buys Farhi's 40 floor design and goes with it, and the other King and Clearance towers are in the 40-50 range. Also remember, while just a drawing, the last we have seen for 183 King looks to be 38 floors. And what if someone wants to go tall on the so-to-be vacant Talbot and Queens.

All these projects are on the downtown BRT loop. It the bubble contines, the Toronto-London exodus continues, along with government support for lots and lots of units.... there could be a lot of really tall projects on tap And with those, a 45 and 55 floor pair at the Forks could fit in well.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 3:48 PM

Article also suggests they were looking at some possibly significant level of office space with this project, but now they are rethinking it.

Could it be that there was a London-special quiet deal planned behind the scenes for this to include a new City Hall and now that's impossible? If so I'm glad, because how dare Politicians and bueaucrats think they are so exhalted that the new City Hall should go on THE prime residential tower location in the downtown??? I hope that wasn't the case.

Either way, if they are rethinking away from an office component towards a mostly residential project maybe going taller makes even more sense...

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
Yeah I saw that too and was the first I heard of it as well. Ali Soufan must have some kind of bank account and lines of credit for all the property he owns right now that isn't bringing anything back in yet.
I went to school with a couple of his kids and and they definitely do.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2021, 8:01 PM

Things have been very quiet at the county lately. With the Municipal election a year away there hasn't been any mention of a new home for the County Administrative offices. York is giving them free rent until 2024 but time is running out on deciding if they will build a new County Administration Centre somewhere in the County or lease space. With the $30M sale price of the Court House land they could certainly look at building a modern facility incorporating many community services. How far out are we from seeing York's vision for the property? Has the County even struck a committee to evaluate their future space needs?

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 4:38 AM

Highly doubt Middlesex county had decided anything on that. Based on their past actions, I'm sure they'll squabble about moving the admin offices to some rural area in the county vs. in London.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2021, 3:40 PM

York going to Council for demolition permit of old MLHU building at 50 King St.

Still no plans what they plan to build on the site. Hopefully they are talking to a number of architects and deciding on a iconic showpiece building(s) that will be immediately recognizable as part of the London Ontario skyline in future marketing and PR campaigns. A bland non unique building would and should be rejected by city hall and citizens of London. The County administration still has the old court house building rent free until 2024. They don't appear to be in any hurry to build or move to another location using the $30M they got from the sale.

https://lfpress.com/news/local-news/...ce-development

Old Posted Nov 26, 2021, 8:29 PM

Yes, I hope that York has a big and architecturally pleasing plan for the MLHU building but they obviously have very big plans regardless.

This is a huge piece of land, in a prime location, and buying that building/land would have cost a small fortune so they will want a hefty return on that investment. For York, leaving that land undeveloped is now no longer an option. This is not parking space.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 3:38 PM

Planning committee votes 6-0 to approve demolition of old MLHU office building. Goes to full council next week to get permit. Still no info from York on what they are planning for the site. Given the County still has until 2024 with free rent of the courthouse building I'd be surprised if York will come forward with a plan in 2022. Hopefully they are exploring as many designs from as many architects as possible. They need a iconic development that will standout and become immediately recognizable as London's new skyline. They also need a plan that incorporates the old courthouse and gives it a new purpose.

https://lfpress.com/news/local-news/...-redevelopment

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 6:11 PM

I'm always hesitant when they approve demolition without any plan for what they are going to use the land for. It seems like they spent too much on this property for them to not develop it, but there are so many spaces in the downtown where buildings have been demoed with nothing built in their place.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inimrepus View Post
I'm always hesitant when they approve demolition without any plan for what they are going to use the land for. It seems like they spent too much on this property for them to not develop it, but there are so many spaces in the downtown where buildings have been demoed with nothing built in their place.
I'm not worried. This is a proven developer that paid 30 million for the site. This isn't a Farhi land grab.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 8:15 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inimrepus View Post
I hope it does not become another Farhi parking lot. I can't stand the way that guy has cornered the London market. Somehow, he makes money out of buildings bereft of tenants.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 8:38 PM

I think something will be built. I only worry that it is a routine rectangular box with no character or design elements and less then 40 floors tall.

The site needs to be home to an iconic tall building. Could have a spire point top aka Chrysler Building in New York and/or roof top elements from the Courthouse building next door. Would hope the architects take inspiration from the architectural design elements of the Courthouse and incorporate them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_Chris View Post
I'm not worried. This is a proven developer that paid 30 million for the site. This isn't a Farhi land grab.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2021, 6:57 PM

Sorry to say but not in this city
To cheap and dam to do something unique

Old Posted Jan 31, 2022, 12:45 AM

Fire at vacant MLHU office building today. Scrappers and vagrants have trespassed into the building and caused yet another vacant building fire for the fire department to have to deal with. It almost seems that most structure fires are in vacant buildings these days. Would be curious to know the actual numbers ahead of any debate on a vacancy tax being introduced at city hall. Hopefully fire department has been asked to provide those numbers to city hall.

https://london.ctvnews.ca/vacant-bui...ures-1.5760792

Old Posted Feb 19, 2022, 11:59 PM

Prepping for demolition of the MLHU office building now started. Stripping of valuable materials ahead of the heavy equipment arriving.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues