HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 3:41 AM
Throbbing Mass

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
The current Dairy Queen in Shediac is being demolished (Apparently after a fire). Construction is imminent on a replacement building. Here are the plans:

No solarium 😭

Old Posted May 14, 2021, 4:03 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Interesting 3D flyby animation of the Breaux-Bridge development:

https://www.facebook.com/BreauxBridg...0298482317332/

Old Posted May 25, 2021, 1:25 AM

New multi-purpose community center in Cap-Pelé

https://cap-pele.com/fr/1068-projet-...rgenerationnel

Old Posted May 25, 2021, 2:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaubassin View Post
New multi-purpose community center in Cap-Pelé

https://cap-pele.com/fr/1068-projet-...rgenerationnel
Excellent project for the area! I count about 800 seats in the arena. That’s pretty substantial for a small community. I know the arena in Woodstock only had a capacity for 500-600 when it was built and that eventually led to the Woodstock Slammers relocating to Grand Falls.

If Shediac built a facility like this with a capacity closer to 1000 I have no doubt in my mind that they could support a Maritime Hockey League team.

Old Posted May 25, 2021, 2:34 PM

Very nice for the region. I like how they have recognition for different level of donors. Isn't there a population boom going on in Cap-Pele?

Old Posted May 25, 2021, 2:36 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackYear View Post
Very nice for the region. I like how they have recognition for different level of donors. Isn't there a population boom going on in Cap-Pele?
Wouldn't call it a boom but it has been increasing as sprawl pushes out from Moncton past Shediac.

Old Posted May 30, 2021, 3:58 PM

What is new for Shediac and the surrounding areas for this tourist season. Any new businesses opening? I know there are a few new apartments coming up, I am just wondering about the tourist sector.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2021, 3:21 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Cap Bimet residents say 'mega project' doesn't belong on fragile coast
A proposed 5-storey, 92-unit apartment building on coast of Shediac Bay is seen as threat to 'cottage country'
Vanessa Blanch · CBC News · Posted: Jun 02, 2021 6:00 AM AT | Last Updated: June 2
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...ndry-1.6040947

An excellent CBC article regarding this proposal for Cap Bimet, next to Paturel's Restaurant.

While the opposition is primarily NIMBY based, they do make a couple of valid points. I am a little uncomfortable with this building being within 30m of a vulnerable coast at risk for significant erosion. The opponents also make a valid point about this being an old industrial site, and being concerned about disturbing the topsoil. I agree that a full EIA is necessary.

All things otherwise being equal, I am generally supportive of this proposal. The main issue for me however is impact on the shoreline. If this cannot be addressed, then the proposal should be denied.

NIMBYism should not be the primary concern, but shoreline protection should be.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2021, 3:28 PM

[QUOTE=MonctonRad;9299386]Cap Bimet residents say 'mega project' doesn't belong on fragile coast
A proposed 5-storey, 92-unit apartment building on coast of Shediac Bay is seen as threat to 'cottage country'
Vanessa Blanch · CBC News · Posted: Jun 02, 2021 6:00 AM AT | Last Updated: June 2
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...ndry-1.6040947

An excellent CBC article regarding this proposal for Cap Bimet, next to Paturel's Restaurant.

I SEE THEIR POINT, HOWEVER, THERE IS A 3 STOREY CONDO ON THE adjacent lot, so a precedent has been set. I am not sure how this will go.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2021, 3:47 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI highway guy View Post
I SEE THEIR POINT, HOWEVER, THERE IS A 3 STOREY CONDO ON THE adjacent lot, so a precedent has been set. I am not sure how this will go.
I agree. The precedent has been set, and, I know that despite the validity of their arguments, this is a NIMBY issue through and through. I am not overly sympathetic to the residents.

Their arguments however are valid and need to be addressed. This new building will be closer to the shoreline than the existing condo development. The impact of this on the shoreline will require assessment. I imagine that a solution can be found.

If a solution is not possible however, the application should be denied.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2021, 8:17 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Apparently Euston Park Social is now open at Parlee Beach, on the boardwalk.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2021, 9:23 PM

The report on CBC News tonight shows how blatantly self-interested the opposition is. I have no sympathy.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2021, 7:53 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Apparently Euston Park Social is now open at Parlee Beach, on the boardwalk.
Photo of Euston Park Social on the beach:

T&T photo

Old Posted Jun 15, 2021, 2:57 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Status of new veterinary clinic in Shediac at the corner of Main & Monique:

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 1:27 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

This is in follow-up regarding the proposal to build a five storey condominium building in Cap-Bimet within 30 metres of the shoreline:

Erosion experts caution N.B. against continued coastal development
Professor emeritus who helped to write Ontario's rules says N.B. coastal policy 'not very strong'
Vanessa Blanch · CBC News · Posted: Jun 17, 2021 7:00 AM AT | Last Updated: 3 hours ago
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...oast-1.6056270

As you all know, I am strongly pro-development, however we need to be sensitive to environmental concerns (at least to a reasonable degree, without being unduly obstructive). I have reservations about this project, particularly concerning shoreline erosion and flooding. I agree with the expert in this case that building an underground parking garage in this close a proximity to a vulnerable coastline prone to flooding is fraught with peril. This project is also on a point of land, making it particularly prone to erosion, which will occur in any event, but will accelerate as sea levels rise. This building might be built safely now, but what will the coastline look like in 30-40 years? I personally would think twice, or even three times before purchasing a condo here.

Again, the residents of Cap-Bimet are blatant NIMBYists, but if you ignore this, they do have a point. If this project gets approved, it should be without underground parking, and there should be a comprehensive shoreline management plan to try and reduce the risk of erosion as much as possible.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Status of new veterinary clinic in Shediac at the corner of Main & Monique:

Drove by yesterday, and all landscape is completely done including all signage on the building.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 6:28 PM

There is now a jet ski rental business that opened up at the wharf. I for one, will give it a try, possibly more than once this summer. Definitely a lot cheaper than buying one without all the hassle.

https://www.maritimewatersports.ca/

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 6:33 PM

For decades I've strongly felt that the whole issue of shoreline development needs a deep, hard look in NB.
It's the wild west out there. What were little three-room cottages when I was a kid have suddenly had a metamorphosis into three-storey mcmansions by adding "just one little expansion" several times over time.
If you have the means and/or the influence, you can put dozens of tons of big rocks along your waterfront, screwing over your neighbours who get even worse erosion, prompting those wealthy enough to then put riprap along their own waterfront, aggravating the problem for everyone else. And if you are of limited means, then the unfortunate person's little getaway with the unprotected shoreline watches his investment or heirloom wash into the sea faster and faster.
But woe unto the poor landowner who puts a shovel into a swamp, though. They will find themselves before a magistrate.
We need consistent rules and a common-sense plan when it comes to shore development so that development can occur where it makes sense and where the greater community and the natural area itself don't suffer.
Take a walk through Pointe du Chene. It is obvious where homeowners have raised the level of their properties, leaving their neighbours' properties to be under water almost each spring.
Some of these properties once upon a time were much the same, one-level simple homes just like their neighbours, with a view of the sky and maybe the water. Now they have towering three-floor homes next door and end up left with the lovely view of their neighbour's wall, and their yards remain in the shade much of the year.
I don't know what the answer is, but I know this is not it.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'homard View Post
For decades I've strongly felt that the whole issue of shoreline development needs a deep, hard look in NB.
It's the wild west out there. What were little three-room cottages when I was a kid have suddenly had a metamorphosis into three-storey mcmansions by adding "just one little expansion" several times over time.
If you have the means and/or the influence, you can put dozens of tons of big rocks along your waterfront, screwing over your neighbours who get even worse erosion, prompting those wealthy enough to then put riprap along their own waterfront, aggravating the problem for everyone else. And if you are of limited means, then the unfortunate person's little getaway with the unprotected shoreline watches his investment or heirloom wash into the sea faster and faster.
But woe unto the poor landowner who puts a shovel into a swamp, though. They will find themselves before a magistrate.
We need consistent rules and a common-sense plan when it comes to shore development so that development can occur where it makes sense and where the greater community and the natural area itself don't suffer.
Take a walk through Pointe du Chene. It is obvious where homeowners have raised the level of their properties, leaving their neighbours' properties to be under water almost each spring.
Some of these properties once upon a time were much the same, one-level simple homes just like their neighbours, with a view of the sky and maybe the water. Now they have towering three-floor homes next door and end up left with the lovely view of their neighbour's wall, and their yards remain in the shade much of the year.
I don't know what the answer is, but I know this is not it.
These places are free to incorporate and establish zoning policies that suit their needs and geological pecularities. I would hope the government never treats adding an expansion to your home the same way they treat wetland development. Years of red tape to add a garage or a bedroom? Oof.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 7:37 PM

Id imagine to a lot of these smaller seaside communities the additions/mcmansions are highly welcomed. A lot of these places have stagnated for decades and I am sure they see the new tax revenue as a small respite. The only way to force these towns into a comprehensive plan for the future is either amalgamation into a local that already has wetland specific zoning or top down governmental guidelines. We dont want red tape but I imagine we cant meet somewhere in the middle.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces