HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup

Old Posted Jun 4, 2010, 11:32 PM

Yet Another Update!!!

First, I deleted some of my buildings and replaced them with MUCH lower line buildings by using textures.

Second, Flamesrule contacted me and asked to put his east shore bank headquarters, which is in his city of Tennington.

Third, I took a building from my art-deco complex that is submitted in the art deco dump thread and added it here with some small tweaks, it is called the Park Corporate building, and was completed in 1936. I also added a residential tower called Parkside Plaza which was completed in 2003.

Finally, I added things to 3 of my piers, one is a park, one is a restaurant, and the third is a Condo called pier 6ix which was completed in 2006.

Last edited by Innsertnamehere; Jun 4, 2010 at 11:46 PM.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2010, 7:42 AM

I see some really interesting architecture in there, but it seems that some of the buildings aren't in scale with each other. I mean that some of them look really massive while some others look miniscule. Overall nice skyline!

Maybe you should add some ground level around that Pier 6 building. I think it would look more realistic if it wouldn't rise straight from the water.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2010, 5:16 PM

UPDATE

first, i changed the scale of one of the buildings, to make it a bit more realistic.(thanks Vellu!) i then took the extra ground space and built another supertall. this one is called First Howich Place, and was completed in 1987.

second, i added a old building called the johnson center. it was completed in 1926. i also added the Ritz one and two, which were completed in 2009. (they were inspired by the Ritz Carlton in Toronto)

Old Posted Jun 13, 2010, 5:24 PM
Closed account

Oh now that supertall is nice!Could you tell me how tall the Howich place, the Commun. Tower and the 2nd tallest buildings are?

Nice job!Could you also show the inside of the stadium?

Old Posted Jun 13, 2010, 5:34 PM
World Machine

You might want to start focusing on the streetscapes.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2010, 8:04 PM

Flamesrule: the communications tower is 480m tall, and Howich place is exactly 300m

Dac150: as i said before, i will focus on them later, (as soon as the main skyline is etched out)

Old Posted Jun 13, 2010, 8:16 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post

Dac150: as i said before, i will focus on them later, (as soon as the main skyline is etched out)
Then that's going to take you forever to finish. I would start the streetscenes now because it'll look better when you take screenshots, it could also seem more of a city.(which it does now) and it looks more nice. Lastly because it going ot take you a heck lot of time to start the streetscenes and adding trees ect.

Nice Job!Could you make us some emporis pages?

Old Posted Jun 13, 2010, 9:15 PM

maybe i will start streetscapes.....
anyways, whats Emporis???

Old Posted Jun 13, 2010, 9:35 PM
World Machine

As Flame said, you’re better off starting the streetscapes now to avoid an overwhelming amount of work later. Just some advice, as I’ve made many cities and ran into this problem.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2010, 12:17 AM

well, i decided to work on detail for a bit.... heres a boulevard I built...

Old Posted Jun 14, 2010, 12:41 AM
World Machine

Well that’s a good start. A suggestion I propose is that for future buildings, don’t make them so close to the actual street. Set them back a little with small parks or plazas. This way the streets won’t be dark and overwhelmed.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2010, 2:33 AM

^ I don't think that there is really any rule that necessarily says that buildings have to have plazas, or be set back from the street per se'. Think of the Wall Street district. The buildings are not only tall, but the streets are almost as narrow as alleys in there.

In any case, I like the new meridian. I think you'll get an easy touch of improved realism if you recolor the green city blocks that have skyscrapers on them with a concrete gray. Usually in the city the only green that you see is in the form of a tree, or a small special desigated foliage area.

I personally despise making cars, but if you drop one or two into every block, that might help make things look alive. As it is, it looks like it's Christmas in the financial district. Keep moving forward! :-)

Old Posted Jun 14, 2010, 10:36 AM
Closed account

I agree with dac. As of now Insertnamehere I think it kinda looks wierd that the buildings are in the middle of the grass with no sidewalk/plaza/walkway connected to them.Like the blvd by the way!

Oh and if you are wondering about emporis.Check Patricks thread in the google sketchup forum-Staunton.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2010, 10:34 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHoward88 View Post
^ I don't think that there is really any rule that necessarily says that buildings have to have plazas, or be set back from the street per se'. Think of the Wall Street district. The buildings are not only tall, but the streets are almost as narrow as alleys in there.
You don't say now..

Old Posted Jun 21, 2010, 6:46 PM

Update!! (sorry for it being late)

I decided to start focusing on detail... I also decided to make Howich 1.5 since I will be redoing some buildings... so this update I textured buildings, added detail to the stadium, added trees, and filled in empty spaces on lots with buildings and parks...

Old Posted Jun 21, 2010, 7:13 PM
Closed account

Already a steady improvement.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2010, 9:40 AM
Desert Dweller

I've followed this city for a while and the recent details you've added are a huge improvement, can't wait for the next update!

Old Posted Jun 24, 2010, 11:04 AM

You’re constantly improving. The textures add a lot of realism. Now that you’ve added trees some of the roads look really narrow. How wide are they? The building designs are quite good, for example the blue building with the rounded corners and a courtyard with a pond.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2010, 7:23 PM

I think your CBD is full and you should put low rise apartments around this part. I also think when you start to work to the suburbs you can then add some of the taller buildings in a few blocks for the suburbs to have its own city center.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2010, 10:23 PM

UPDATE:

you can really start to see the effects of Howich 1.5 now, as i deleted about half the buildings to make the skyline more scattered. i finished 4 blocks of filler buildings, and added my new favorite building, the world trade tower. with this update i went from 5-6 supertalls (too lazy to count) to 2-3 supertalls, though the world trade tower is taller than any other building before, at 360m.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup