HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted May 10, 2021, 7:47 PM
Registered Ugly

It's the Ritz Carlton Portland. I'm not sure if this was posted before, but here's a flyby view of the skyline I just found on FB:

https://www.facebook.com/GBDArchitec...44841699402161

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 11:21 PM

Great video, this will be such a nice gap filler.

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 11:33 PM

Location: Portland (part-time); warm foreign countries (part-time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownpdx View Post
Great video, this will be such a nice gap filler.
It is worth noting, as each of us curates our own dream Portland skyline plugging in towers where gaps remain, that there are often handsome, historic, worthy-of-preservation buildings on those sites. For that reason, Portland will never have an uninterrupted Midtown Manhattan skyline.

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 1:08 AM
Registered Ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMH View Post
It is worth noting, as each of us curates our own dream Portland skyline plugging in towers where gaps remain, that there are often handsome, historic, worthy-of-preservation buildings on those sites. For that reason, Portland will never have an uninterrupted Midtown Manhattan skyline.
I bet you’re fun at parties

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 2:45 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterranean View Post
It's the Ritz Carlton Portland.
It has a website too: rcrportland.com

RCR = Ritz Carlton Residences.

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 6:15 AM
A before E

Quote:
It's the Ritz Carlton Portland. I'm not sure if this was posted before, but here's a flyby view of the skyline I just found on FB:

https://www.facebook.com/GBDArchitec...44841699402161
Great video, I would love to see more buildings this size going up in Portland. I think it is the ideal tall building that isn't too tall or too stubby.

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 3:16 PM

My understanding is that the hotel and residential condo units are being branded as the Ritz Carlton, however that's not the name of the building itself (which also includes retail and considerable amounts of office space).

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 9:25 PM

Quote:
I bet you’re fun at parties
Realists have lots of fun, too.

Old Posted May 13, 2021, 12:58 AM

Quote:
I agree, but there are still so many surface parking lots and uninspiring short commercial buildings that I can conjure up a pretty vancouver-esque looking skyline without thinking of harming those buildings.

This building helps swing the momentum towards the west end where at least 5 different parking lots are just crying out for a nice tower or mid-rise.

Old Posted May 13, 2021, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QAtheSky View Post
I agree, but there are still so many surface parking lots and uninspiring short commercial buildings that I can conjure up a pretty vancouver-esque looking skyline without thinking of harming those buildings.

This building helps swing the momentum towards the west end where at least 5 different parking lots are just crying out for a nice tower or mid-rise.
I agree that the abundance of parking lots in the West End of Downtown offer great opportunities for new towers to fill in the skyline. The rising 11 West building on SW Washington between 11th and 12th Avenues is just one example of that.

Last edited by DMH; May 13, 2021 at 7:50 PM. Reason: Addition of one example

Old Posted May 14, 2021, 3:39 AM
BANNED

Quote:
I agree that the abundance of parking lots in the West End of Downtown offer great opportunities for new towers to fill in the skyline. The rising 11 West building on SW Washington between 11th and 12th Avenues is just one example of that.
It still shocks me more mid risers (low to mid 20s stories) towers weren’t built there during the peak housing crisis Portland experienced

Old Posted May 14, 2021, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Totally agree, I'd never want to see that pattern for the sake of a high rise. But like the West End, I'd love to see some of the surface lots around Oak & Stark streets towards the river get some action. From the east side, it just bugs me how the tall buildings all fade away towards the river leaving Big Pink sticking out by itself. I don't mean a wall of glassy towers a la SOWA, but some nice infill that would both energize the Ankeny neighborhood (and one day maybe give Saturday Market the ability to go 5, 6, 7 days/ week?) and give some oomph to that part of the skyline.

Old Posted May 14, 2021, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownpdx View Post
Totally agree, I'd never want to see that pattern for the sake of a high rise. But like the West End, I'd love to see some of the surface lots around Oak & Stark streets towards the river get some action. From the east side, it just bugs me how the tall buildings all fade away towards the river leaving Big Pink sticking out by itself. I don't mean a wall of glassy towers a la SOWA, but some nice infill that would both energize the Ankeny neighborhood (and one day maybe give Saturday Market the ability to go 5, 6, 7 days/ week?) and give some oomph to that part of the skyline.
Just a few years ago there was an image or there were images being circulated that showed all of the parking lots owned by the Goodman family built out to their maximum FARs. I wish I knew where those images are on the web. The build-out would come close to filling in the Oak/Stark gaps that you describe.

Old Posted May 14, 2021, 7:04 PM

Yeah I saw that too, looked awesome. I guess they're for lease if I'm not mistaken, so open for development?

Old Posted May 14, 2021, 7:28 PM

https://theankenyblocks.com/

This may be what you're thinking of. It's not all of the lots they own but a good chunk of them.

Old Posted May 14, 2021, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Just a few years ago there was an image or there were images being circulated that showed all of the parking lots owned by the Goodman family built out to their maximum FARs. I wish I knew where those images are on the web. The build-out would come close to filling in the Oak/Stark gaps that you describe.
You mean this?

Image courtesy of nextportland.com
https://www.nextportland.com/2016/02...ankeny-blocks/

Old Posted May 15, 2021, 4:07 AM

Thank you, yes! ^^

Old Posted May 16, 2021, 3:37 PM

Thanks for posting the GBD "flyover" video, subterranean (my favorite Radiohead song by the way). The long distance fly-by - not fly-over - doesn't really do justice to the claim that this building will "transform Portland's skyline", itself an overly hyperbolic statement to say the least. This will serve to fill a missing tooth between PAW and US Bank, but would have required a bit more height and/or architectural distinction to be transformational. Something on the order of the twin towers proposed for the Post Office site a while back might have achieved that lofty goal.

Old Posted May 17, 2021, 6:04 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcmeGreg View Post
Thanks for posting the GBD "flyover" video, subterranean (my favorite Radiohead song by the way). The long distance fly-by - not fly-over - doesn't really do justice to the claim that this building will "transform Portland's skyline", itself an overly hyperbolic statement to say the least. This will serve to fill a missing tooth between PAW and US Bank, but would have required a bit more height and/or architectural distinction to be transformational. Something on the order of the twin towers proposed for the Post Office site a while back might have achieved that lofty goal.
Either the twin tower proposal or the Riverplace proposal if they went with the original plan from Kengo Kuma.

Old Posted May 17, 2021, 7:44 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
Either the twin tower proposal or the Riverplace proposal if they went with the original plan from Kengo Kuma.

Portland would never do that. Way to ambitious

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland