HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Feb 12, 2021, 1:29 AM

Help! I've been trying to find photos of LAPD detective John St. John aka Jigsaw John, LAPD Detective Badge Number One.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2021, 3:02 AM

ipinimg

"LAPD Chief Gates with the great detective John St. John at his retirement party May, 1993."

with the description

You can find a few additional photographs at the lamorguefiles blogspot.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2021, 3:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

Here's a restaurant that we haven't seen, or discussed, on NLA.

"ARCARO RESTAURANT 4658 Melrose Avenue, Hollywood 29, Calif."

eBay

If memory serves me, "Eddie" Arcaro was a horse jockey.

Printed by Waldorf Printers...NOrmandy 1 -1533
^^^
If somebody knows Italian, can you translate the 3 lines near the top of the menu that start with "Bevevano.."? Graci

E_R, is this is a late1940s/early 1950s menu? Prices seem right for those years for a restaurant with upscale pretensions. Too high for the late '30s (plus no wine/beer before 1933) plus Arcaro wasn't the legend he would become. My guess would be early/mid 1950s...maaaaybe late '50s to 1960 at the latest...am I correct? If I had to pick one year....1955.

Eddie was probably there most nights (certainly Friday/Saturday) warmly greeting customers. I bet the tables had red & white checkerboard tablecloths, chianti bottles with lit candles and wicker baskets with bread sticks. Plus lots of signed photos of celebrity customers on the walls and maybe some racing photos. Probably a good place to get racing tips. I wonder if the L.A. mafiosi discretely frequented the place? Dragna etc. Maybe Sinatra dropped in from time to time when he was in town. Maybe the whole "ratpack".

Last edited by CaliNative; Feb 12, 2021 at 5:42 AM.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2021, 6:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
^^^
If somebody knows Italian, can you translate the 3 lines near the top of the menu that start with "Bevevano.."? Graci

Our fathers drank? Yes. Our mothers drank? Yes. And we who are their children dr- dr- drink, and we who are their children drink with pleasure.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2021, 7:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster View Post
Help! I've been trying to find photos of LAPD detective John St. John aka Jigsaw John, LAPD Detective Badge Number One.
If you haven't seen Shotgun Freeway make sure to take a look, around 19:20

Old Posted Feb 12, 2021, 4:46 PM

Beaudry: While I see you here--just want to say that I've now had a chance to study your book, and it is absolutely great, every detail. Congratulations. Everyone here (and everywhere else) should have a copy. https://bunkerhilllosangeles.com/202.../buy-the-book/

Last edited by GaylordWilshire; Feb 13, 2021 at 11:41 AM.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2021, 7:27 PM

^^^

Agree! I just read it last week! This part of a review I read of the book explains part of why I enjoyed it so much:

The book tells the story of Bunker Hill twice. First is the written story accompanied by pictures. Then it goes through the chronology again pictorially with text accompanying the photos. This made an impact on me as I was first grappling mentally with the geography and the wonder of what was once there, while in the second telling all of the pieces started falling into place in a way that helped me visualize, or experience in my imagination, the neighborhood as if one was looking at it on Google Street View.

Also, we've mentioned on NLA, as does this book, too, the film The Exiles which was filmed on Bunker Hill. There is a person who goes by CitySleuth who has a website called Reel SF, subtitled "San Francisco movie locations from classic films." The first paragraph of the "About" section describes what the website is about:

For the past 17 years I have pursued a passion for movie location hunting in San Francisco. Not just any movies - they have to be classic movies. In other words older movies, often film noir in genre, so that I can compare this extraordinary city as it was up to a century ago with how it looks today. I have researched, hunted down and in some cases simply stumbled upon hundreds of locations spanning many movies and I plan to share the fruits of my efforts through this blog, building it up movie by movie, location by location, presented in a 'Then' and 'Now' format. I can't think of a better way to get to know the city, for me that is, but through this blog, for you too. Its sole intent is to inform and to educate. It generates zero income and displays zero ads. It represents, quite simply, a labor of love in celebration of an extraordinary city.

I stumbled on the site once looking up something about a favorite film of mine and have enjoyed the site off and on since. If something in a film he is spotlighting was filmed in a Hollywood Studio or actually in Los Angeles, that is covered, too. Which is why I bring this up now. A few years ago he did a now and then comparison of the film The Exiles precisely because the Bunker Hill locations were often used to represent parts of San Francisco set films. He has a special forward for each post for that film: ( A Bunker Hill movie in a San Francisco blog? CitySleuth explains why HERE. )

In that explanation he's very complimentary: [First] As it turns out, L.A.'s Bunker Hill and S.F.'s Telegraph Hill had much in common with their turn-of-the-century wooden buildings, steps and steep streets. And second, because in researching these sites over the years CitySleuth has come to know and love the old Bunker Hill so well despite never having been there and despite its total erasure by the end of the 1960s. So imagine his delight in coming across this wonderfully restored movie and witnessing the preservation of sorts of so many locations from a bygone era. Such nostalgia, ergo it cried out to be shared.

There are thirteen separate posts detailing sections of the film and phtos of now and then sleuthing. It's a great additional read for anyone interested in Bunker Hill...and where it was/is now.

http://reelsf.com/the-exiles-1961

P.S.: I went to the site and sent him an email alerting him to this new book.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2021, 1:25 AM

I was unfamiliar with the Eddie Arcaro restaurant on Melrose, but I've long been curious about his collaborations with Tiny Naylor - and specifically about the incredible googie style restaurant below photographed by Julius Shulman. Shulman dates these 1954 and credits them to architects Jones and Emmons, but according to the clippings, the Arcaro/Naylor restaurant(s) opened in 1958 and were designed by Armet & Davis. This looks much more of an A&D design than a Jones and Emmons design. It does NOT appear to be one of these:

1. "House of Naylor" somewhere on La Cienega

2. Tiny Naylor's coffee shop 14 N. La Cienega, Beverly Hills

3. "Eddie Arcaro's Winner's Circle" 8620 S. Western Ave.
This is described as the second collaboration with an interior "styled after an English tavern." Clearly not the one in the Shulman photos.

Julius Shulman © J. Paul Getty Trust. Getty Research Institute, Los Angeles (2004.R.10)

Julius Shulman © J. Paul Getty Trust. Getty Research Institute, Los Angeles (2004.R.10)

Los Angeles Times 5/26/58

Los Angeles Times 6/29/58

Los Angeles Times 11/23/58

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...los-1982215299
"House of Naylor" on Tiny Naylor's menu from Worthpoint

Tiny Naylor's at 14 N. La Cienega (at Wilshire) in Beverly Hills

Photo; Armet & Davis, via Los Angeles magazine
https://www.lamag.com/askchris/belov...er-demolished/

Getty Images: Eddie Arcaro Wearing Chef Hat While Cooking
(Original Caption) Jockey Eddie Arcaro trades in his riding silks for a chef's hat and prepares a steak in the new restaurant he has an interest in here. Arcaro has entered into a partnership with the famous restaurateur Tiny Naylor, and the pair announced that they will open a Winner's Circle Room in the House of Naylor on La Cienga's restaurant row.
https://www.gettyimages.com/photos/e...t=best#license

House of Naylor sign by David Sutton at MPTV
https://www.mptvimages.com/images/15...8-david-sutton

Quote:

Here's a restaurant that we haven't seen, or discussed, on NLA.

"ARCARO RESTAURANT 4658 Melrose Avenue, Hollywood 29, Calif."

eBay

If memory serves me, "Eddie" Arcaro was a horse jockey.

Printed by Waldorf Printers...NOrmandy 1 -1533

Last edited by Snix; Mar 16, 2021 at 1:46 AM.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2021, 5:08 PM

Quote:

ipinimg

"LAPD Chief Gates with the great detective John St. John at his retirement party May, 1993."

with the description

You can find a few additional photographs at the lamorguefiles blogspot.
Thanks, ER.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2021, 6:17 PM

My dad would take the family to Tiny Naylor’s on Western for a special treat. The bar there was called Room Of Champions with pictures of sports stars on the walls. The place was a couple of miles away from Hollywood Park Race Track.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2021, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snix View Post
[...]
Tiny Naylor's at 14 N. La Cienega (at Wilshire) in Beverly Hills

Photo; Armet & Davis, via Los Angeles magazine
https://www.lamag.com/askchris/belov...er-demolished/
[...]

I did not know this place used to be a Tiny Naylor's. I always knew it as the Beverly Hills Cafe, I believe. METRO has this area demolished right now, working on a subway stop.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2021, 11:08 PM

FYI: Something I noticed.

The website Old L.A. Restaurants is shutting down. We've posted info, probably photos, from there on NLA before.

https://oldlarestaurants.com

Here's the explanation FYI:

Special Announcement

Old L.A. Restaurants
I have decided to close down this website. If you’re interested to know why, here’s the explanation…

When I put this site up in 2012, it took many, many long hours of configuration to get it the way I wanted it. That meant writing what they call a “theme” for it that would put this over here, that over there, the comments down there, etc. That’s the general look of the pages. Over the years though, the software that runs this site — WordPress — has been updated continuously and the most recent update doesn’t seem to work right with my 2012 template.

Suddenly, the comments — which are the whole point of this site — didn’t show. They were there but they didn’t show up on the pages you see. Some fine technicians and I spent a lot of time trying to solve this and we got it to the point where it would show comments up to the end of 2019 and it stopped there. I couldn’t get anything newer than that to display unless I rewrote the whole template/theme…and frankly, I don’t have the time to do that. Even if I did, I don’t remember all that I knew about doing that in 2012 and I’m also pretty sure that the technology has changed a lot since then.

So I’ve decided to give it up.

Please do not attempt to post any comments here. No one will see them. The site in its broken condition will remain online for a while and I will be transferring the articles I wrote about various old restaurants to my main website:

www.newsfromme.com

Around the end of 2020, this page will go away completely. [IT'S STILL THERE AS OF THIS POST TODAY.]

I want to thank everyone who contributed over the years and I hope you enjoyed reading all the comments as much as I did. — Mark Evanier

Old Posted Feb 14, 2021, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorendoc View Post
Our fathers drank? Yes. Our mothers drank? Yes. And we who are their children dr- dr- drink, and we who are their children drink with pleasure.
Thanks. Can't live well without good vino or good beer.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2021, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
I did not know this place used to be a Tiny Naylor's. I always knew it as the Beverly Hills Cafe, I believe. METRO has this area demolished right now, working on a subway stop.
General rule--Nobody called "Tiny" weighs less than 300 pounds. Any old pics of "Tiny" Naylor?

Old Posted Feb 14, 2021, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Thanks. Can't live well without good vino or good beer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorendoc View Post
My mother was Irish and my father was a Scot. Both were charter members of Sons of Italy Lodge 2076 in Anaheim (long story). Growing up, I didn't know anyone who didn't drink!

Old Posted Feb 14, 2021, 5:49 PM

Quote:
I was unfamiliar with the Eddie Arcaro restaurant on Melrose, but I've long been curious about his collaborations with Tiny Naylor - and specifically about the incredible googie style restaurant below photographed by Julius Shulman. Shulman dates these 1954 and credits them to architects Jones and Emmons, but according to the clippings, the Arcaro/Naylor restaurant(s) opened in 1958 and were designed by Armet & Davis.
Thanks for your excellent post and research, Snix.
I didn't realize Eddie Arcaro was a business associate of 'Tiny' Naylor.

Quote:
General rule--Nobody called "Tiny" weighs less than 300 pounds.
But what about Fats Domino and Minnesota Fats?.........(I'm kidding)

Quote:
Any old pics of "Tiny" Naylor?
CaliNative, I've been looking but as of yet, no dice. ...I guess it would help if I knew 'Tinys' real first name. (does anyone know?)

No 'Tiny' but. . .

UCLA Archive

. . .here's Eddie Arcaro (middle, top), Johnny Longden (left) and Willie Shoemaker (ight) posing with Jayne Mansfield at the Jockey's Ball in los Angeles, 1957.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Feb 14, 2021 at 9:43 PM.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2021, 5:57 PM

Quote:

CaliNative, I've been looking but as of yet, no dice. ...I guess it would help if I knew 'Tinys' real first name. (does anyone know?)

Wikipedia
gives his full name as William Wallace "Tiny" Naylor.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2021, 8:35 PM

From the Find-a-Grave entry for William Wallace Naylor:

"Founder of the Googie-style Tiny Naylor's Coffee Shops (1957) and Biff's (1948; named for his son). Dubbed "Tiny" due to his 6'4", 320 lbs. stature. He is credited for having developed the Patty Melt hamburger sandwich." https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/...wallace-naylor

I'd like to see a photo of him standing next to some jockeys.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2021, 8:55 PM

Mirror News 8/18/59

Los Angeles Times 9/26/71
Quote:
General rule--Nobody called "Tiny" weighs less than 300 pounds. Any old pics of "Tiny" Naylor?

Old Posted Feb 15, 2021, 12:50 AM

Quote:

Mirror News 8/18/59

Los Angeles Times 9/26/71
Good sleuthing Snix. The hazards of being a restaurant owner...downing too many delicious patty melts. Naylor's connection with jockey great Arcaro now clear...Naylor bred and owned race horses. Maybe Arcaro rode some of Tiny's mounts? Naylor looks a bit like the pre-bearded Orson Welles when he made the noir classic "Touch of Evil" in the late '50s.

Last edited by CaliNative; Feb 15, 2021 at 11:00 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos